or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Reader: Steve Jobs says no tethering between iPad and iPhone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reader: Steve Jobs says no tethering between iPad and iPhone - Page 7

post #241 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

... Anyway, can you provide proof of the additional 2 dollars that you said Amazon charges to cover the costs to AT&T?


Here's what Amazon outlines.
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
post #242 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisEMayle View Post

Here's what Amazon outlines.

Thanks Curtis,

This I knew already, as the Kindle forums are in advanced freak out mode. I was asking if there was something else other than this. I already knew about the cost of doing biz with the "international" version Kindle.
post #243 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Thanks Curtis,

This I knew already, as the Kindle forums are in advanced freak out mode. I was asking if there was something else other than this. I already knew about the cost of doing biz with the "international" version Kindle.

I understand. I'm only familiar with the $2 fee for roaming outside of the U.S. (excluding Mexico, Japan, Hong Kong)
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
post #244 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

I agree, no similar restriction here, it seems to be a US/AT&T restriction. A lot of people are mistaking restrictions put in place by AT&T for restrictions being put in place by Apple. Apple allow tethering in other countries, the only different factor is the network operator. Maybe you Americans should be shouting at AT&T. I'm pretty sure it won't happen, but there's nothing to stop AT&T offering a deal with a free secondary sim so that same contract covers both devices.

As someone has previously stated, Apple "do not own the pipes", this seems to be a carrier decision, not Apple's.

while it is true that apple does not own the pipes, they DO sell the faucet. while canadian carriers officially allowed tethering, iphone users had no access to it until apple allowed via iphone 3 (i think). the fact that netshare got pulled from the canadian itunes store at the same time as it was in the us was clearly apple's decision, and was justified with being in violation with at&t's terms. that didn't make a lot of sense outside of the US.
post #245 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

No, I'll put you on the ignore list with jfanning and occasionally look at your comments.

Etsi Kindle Australiassa.

easier than answering a question, I guess
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #246 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

That makes sense for laptop tethering but the iPad is a big iPhone or iPod without 3G. While browsing, it will be exactly like running an iphone on the same network so there's just no need for two charges if you own both devices.

By that reasoning wouldn't it make sense for me to demand that AT&T allow me to operated two phones on the same data plan?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #247 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

Lithuania.

According to this source you don't get unlimited data. http://wiki.maemo.org/Data_plans#Lithuania
post #248 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

easier than answering a question, I guess

Typical back pedaling answer as normal from him. He has no arguments and runs and hides at the first chance he gets. His drive-by posts have no merit.
post #249 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You've just answered your own question. There is no difference between $30 on separate plan or $30 tethering. However, tethering will drain both devices battery at the same time and the current iPad data plan requires no contract. So a separate plan is better choice if you are welling to pay. Most people who want tethering wants it because their carrier don't charge for it.
The 3G model does not require a contract. It is a month by month plan.

Yes, there IS a difference: If someone pays to tether their phone, it's so they can share the internet connection with their devices. Device(S) PLURAL lol. As in anything with wifi. The ipad isn't the only thing they can tether.

Bending over and accepting this ridiculous bs is fundamentally the biggest difference between Apple die-hards and tech geeks. What business is it of Steve Jobs to govern such a thing? This is the type of nonsensical control Apple demonstrates that normal rationally thinking people hate.

I really don't have anything to complain about personally since I can setup a wifi hotspot with my non-Apple phone, and the ipad will connect to it as any other wifi hotspot, but for people to sit here and try and justify such obvious bs is just typical. People around here don't hold Apple to the standard they need to.

So a person pays for tethering on their phone plan, but now the master overlord Steve Jobs says they'll need to pay extra to get 3g on their ipad. This is just another one of those times that I'm so glad I didn't buy a phone from that asshole.
post #250 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

By that reasoning wouldn't it make sense for me to demand that AT&T allow me to operated two phones on the same data plan?

So really this is a matter of debating whether or not the ipad is more like a laptop (or netbook) or more like a phone restricted to a service plan.

I'm still in this CRAZY state of mind that the ipad is supposed to be more like a computer. It's got wifi, which means for me it can have internet through my unlimited plan with Sprint (no, not limited to 5gb, trust me.)

So far the most viable argument for not supporting tethering through the iphone (when someone pays for it) is that both devices will drain, but this is SUCH a weak argument. It's not up to Jobs to tell anyone they shouldn't drain their devices.

This is all just so retarded.
post #251 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Yes, there IS a difference: If someone pays to tether their phone, it's so they can share the internet connection with their devices. Device(S) PLURAL lol. As in anything with wifi. The ipad isn't the only thing they can tether.

Bending over and accepting this ridiculous bs is fundamentally the biggest difference between Apple die-hards and tech geeks. What business is it of Steve Jobs to govern such a thing? This is the type of nonsensical control Apple demonstrates that normal rationally thinking people hate.

I really don't have anything to complain about personally since I can setup a wifi hotspot with my non-Apple phone, and the ipad will connect to it as any other wifi hotspot, but for people to sit here and try and justify such obvious bs is just typical. People around here don't hold Apple to the standard they need to.

So a person pays for tethering on their phone plan, but now the master overlord Steve Jobs says they'll need to pay extra to get 3g on their ipad. This is just another one of those times that I'm so glad I didn't buy a phone from that asshole.

Dude. You are speaking my language. I feel exactly as you do even though I do not have to pay for tethering. My operator thinks is natural as all data is data. Anyway, while I did by a phone from the guy who is truly showing that he is becoming an asshole, I have to thank Nokia for being the missing link that allows my Apple devices to connect while AT&T doesn't when I travel. By the way, the tethering is controlled by AT&T as far as I can tell. When I bought my iPhone, it tethered the same day. No special config files from the operator as far as I can tell. THey did send one when they unlocked it.
post #252 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

By that reasoning wouldn't it make sense for me to demand that AT&T allow me to operated two phones on the same data plan?

I am doing that right now. I have one data plan and two phones (Nokia N86) and an iPhone on it. One number, two SIM cards, one data plan.

AT&T simply sucks and will rape you for as long as you let them.

It is not wrong for AT&T to make money. It is only fair. It is the way they go about it that is the problem.
post #253 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

So really this is a matter of debating whether or not the ipad is more like a laptop (or netbook) or more like a phone restricted to a service plan.

I'm still in this CRAZY state of mind that the ipad is supposed to be more like a computer. It's got wifi, which means for me it can have internet through my unlimited plan with Sprint (no, not limited to 5gb, trust me.)

So far the most viable argument for not supporting tethering through the iphone (when someone pays for it) is that both devices will drain, but this is SUCH a weak argument. It's not up to Jobs to tell anyone they shouldn't drain their devices.

This is all just so retarded.

I don't understand how people can go from Apple choosing not to include a feature they don't wish to code for and support to Jobs directly telling them what they can and can't do with their devices. Before it's YOUR device, it's Apple's device and they have the right to make it the way they see fit, just as we have the right not to buy it if it doesn't suit our needs. There will plenty of other tablets coming down the line now that Apple has seemingly created a viable tablet market. Why not just hold out for a tablet running Android or just buy an Android phone so you can turn on cellular sharing over WiFi without the carrier's knowledge?

As for the iPad being a "more like a computer", that couldn't be farther from the truth. Nothing has made it appear like a PC, which was a major issue for many posters here... until this news came out. You can't really have it both ways. It uses iTunes to sync, there is no way to use Time Machine to back it up independently, and the highest priced model is below the cost of the cheapest MacBook and you can't sync an iPod or iPhone to it because it only has an iPod app, not iTunes in it. For better or worse, they've clearly positioned the iPad as an accessory device for your computer.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #254 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't understand how people can go from Apple choosing not to include a feature they don't wish to code for and support to Jobs directly telling them what they can and can't do with their devices. Before it's YOUR device, it's Apple's device and they have the right to make it the way they see fit, just as we have the right not to buy it if it doesn't suit our needs. There will plenty of other tablets coming down the line now that Apple has seemingly created a viable tablet market. Why not just hold out for a tablet running Android or just buy an Android phone so you can turn on cellular sharing over WiFi without the carrier's knowledge?

As for the iPad being a "more like a computer" that is so far from the truth and nothing has made it appear like a PC, which was a major issue for many... until this news came out. You can't really have it both ways. It uses iTunes to sync, there is no way to use Time Machine to back it up independently, and the highest priced model is below the cost of the cheapest MacBook. For better or worse, they've made its position an accessory device for your computer perfectly clear.

I bought this toaster? And it doesn't have that "Bagel" button that toasts just one side? And some other toasters do?

So the manufacturer of that toaster is attempting to forbid me from having bagels. So they're totalitarian monsters.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #255 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

while it is true that apple does not own the pipes, they DO sell the faucet. while canadian carriers officially allowed tethering, iphone users had no access to it until apple allowed via iphone 3 (i think). the fact that netshare got pulled from the canadian itunes store at the same time as it was in the us was clearly apple's decision, and was justified with being in violation with at&t's terms. that didn't make a lot of sense outside of the US.

Apple sells one of the many data exchangers available from AT&T.

The iPad's new deal is clear that Apple now has more leverage, but they don't dictate the exchangers and thus tell AT&T how to run it's backbone.
post #256 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

I am doing that right now. I have one data plan and two phones (Nokia N86) and an iPhone on it. One number, two SIM cards, one data plan.

AT&T simply sucks and will rape you for as long as you let them.

It is not wrong for AT&T to make money. It is only fair. It is the way they go about it that is the problem.

Classic coming from a Fin. I do recall the a-holish control Nokia placed on Voicestream [the days before T-Mobile USA] and how draconian Nokia was about it's product line. Those were fun times, watching internally the pissed off looks on all the Voicestream personnel.
post #257 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

No, I'll put you on the ignore list with jfanning and occasionally look at your comments.

Etsi Kindle Australiassa.

In other words you are just a troll, making stupid statements and not really wanting a response?
post #258 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Classic coming from a Fin. I do recall the a-holish control Nokia placed on Voicestream [the days before T-Mobile USA] and how draconian Nokia was about it's product line. Those were fun times, watching internally the pissed off looks on all the Voicestream personnel.

If you read under his name you would see that he isn't a finn, but an American.
post #259 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't understand how people can go from Apple choosing not to include a feature they don't wish to code for and support to Jobs directly telling them what they can and can't do with their devices. Before it's YOUR device, it's Apple's device and they have the right to make it the way they see fit, just as we have the right not to buy it if it doesn't suit our needs. There will plenty of other tablets coming down the line now that Apple has seemingly created a viable tablet market. Why not just hold out for a tablet running Android or just buy an Android phone so you can turn on cellular sharing over WiFi without the carrier's knowledge?

As for the iPad being a "more like a computer" that is so far from the truth and nothing has made it appear like a PC, which was a major issue for many... until this news came out. You can't really have it both ways. It uses iTunes to sync, there is no way to use Time Machine to back it up independently, and the highest priced model is below the cost of the cheapest MacBook. For better or worse, they've made its position an accessory device for your computer perfectly clear.

It's an ipad dude, it's going to be cooler than anything else. It's just a shame, ya know? I was playing with the iphone just yesterday in an apple store and it's so smooth and runs so great, but this idea that Apple wants to control the content of the phone is just so bizarre to me. Apple wants to control everything, and hold your hand every step of the way. That's not for me! I want Apple's performance without their babysitting (does that make sense?)

Either way, you're right to label it an accessory for a computer. I need to drill it into my brain the ipad is exactly that. It still doesn't stop me from scratching my head in wondering how Jobs could think it's any of his business to tell iphone users what they can and can't tether, especially since it's supposed to be a wifi device. What difference does the connection source make?

Oh well, I won't comment anymore on this. It's really none of my business to voice out like a jerk about it since I don't even own an iphone
post #260 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I bought this toaster? And it doesn't have that "Bagel" button that toasts just one side? And some other toasters do?

So the manufacturer of that toaster is attempting to forbid me from having bagels. So they're totalitarian monsters.

More like, I bought this toaster that makes absolutely PERFECT toast, and is capable of making the most brilliant fucking bagels on earth, but in order to squeeze more money out of me, the manufacturer of that toaster has taken out that feature for absolutely no reason, even though it's more than capable of handling it perfectly.

The iToast can go to hell!
post #261 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

By that reasoning wouldn't it make sense for me to demand that AT&T allow me to operated two phones on the same data plan?

Why not?

As long as I am not using both devices at the same time I don't see what the problem is.

If ATT can get away with this for iPhones and iPads I don't see why other companies can't charge for multiple devices. What if the ISPs started to charge for internet access per computer? If someone has three computers in their home they would have to pay three plans for internet access.

I really don't see a difference.
post #262 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

...
Oh well, I won't comment anymore on this. It's really none of my business to voice out like a jerk about it since I don't even own an iphone

Appropriate and appreciated.

Quote:
but in order to squeeze more money out of me, the manufacturer of that toaster has taken out that feature for absolutely no reason, even though it's more than capable of handling it perfectly.

Oh, you were on such a nice roll! ... but, a speculative tangent was apparently too tempting.
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
post #263 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


As for the iPad being a "more like a computer" that is so far from the truth and nothing has made it appear like a PC, which was a major issue for many... until this news came out. You can't really have it both ways. It uses iTunes to sync, there is no way to use Time Machine to back it up independently......... For better or worse, they've made its position an accessory device for your computer perfectly clear.


What a great take on iPad's planetary orbit.

.
post #264 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

I am doing that right now. I have one data plan and two phones (Nokia N86) and an iPhone on it. One number, two SIM cards, one data plan.

AT&T simply sucks and will rape you for as long as you let them.

It is not wrong for AT&T to make money. It is only fair. It is the way they go about it that is the problem.

US≠Finland. You have a problem with US carriers, not AT&T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post

Why not?

As long as I am not using both devices at the same time I don't see what the problem is.

If ATT can get away with this for iPhones and iPads I don't see why other companies can't charge for multiple devices. What if the ISPs started to charge for internet access per computer? If someone has three computers in their home they would have to pay three plans for internet access.

I really don't see a difference.

OK. Show me the other US carrier that lets you run two phones on the same data plan.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #265 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisEMayle View Post

Appropriate and appreciated.



Oh, you were on such a nice roll! ... but, a speculative tangent was apparently too tempting.

it's a public forum. If you don't like what I have to say, I suggest you do exactly as I just did with your name, and add me to me your ignore list.

The rudeness really needs to go. It doesn't do anything for anyone around here and only makes you look like a complete _____ (fill it in for yourself. I'm sure someone with a mind like yours can think of something really AWFUL.)
post #266 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

The rudeness really needs to go.

Thank you, Mr. Rudeness. Now go, like you promised.
post #267 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

it's a public forum. If you don't like what I have to say, I suggest you do exactly as I just did with your name, and add me to me your ignore list.

The rudeness really needs to go. It doesn't do anything for anyone around here and only makes you look like a complete _____ (fill it in for yourself. I'm sure someone with a mind like yours can think of something really AWFUL.)

Indeed it is. I don't, thanks for the suggestion, no need.

Agreed. Very true (I did. Without hesitation.)

[on topic] That's terse.
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
post #268 of 331
Im in Sydney, Australia and use Telstra as telco carrier. We can Tether from iPhone to Mac/PC already via both Bluetooth and/or the USB adapter. I can't see why the iPad would not have the ability to do this?
post #269 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Its cute that you missed the joke in your rush to indignation. DP was needeling AI for mispelling Sweden, not showing geograpichal ignorance of the South American country. Maybe a winking emoticon would have helped...



Leave it to a fellow Jerseyan to have my back while I was away from AI for the weekend. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post


It is very cute that you don't know simple geography. And making a joke about it? Even cuter.


Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Sorry about that. And yeah, the Noorway post was a riot.


Hey, umm, Genius...where's my apology? Admitting when you're is wrong goes a long way......towards allowing me to view you as a lot less ignorant than you really are.
No matter what one's view, isn't the idea of a forum to discuss ideas in a mature and respectful manner without fanboys or kool-ade getting brought up? I don't need this iPad to come loaded with everything on the first go-round. I can wait for a do-all product to eventually evolve after all of the issues of an emerging UI/form factor get worked out. Being black or white is needing this thing to do everything under the sun....even though the company who conceived and designed it didn't intend it that way. That includes tethering, USB/FW ports, SD card slots, Flash, camera, etc.

The iPad is never going to be capable of satisfying everyone's needs, especially first generation, but that's not going to keep it from selling 10's of MILLIONS.

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #270 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Classic coming from a Fin. I do recall the a-holish control Nokia placed on Voicestream [the days before T-Mobile USA] and how draconian Nokia was about it's product line. Those were fun times, watching internally the pissed off looks on all the Voicestream personnel.

Can you read? I am not a Finn. Do you see the tagline under my name?

How hard was that? So would your inability to pay attention be labeled as typical of the American school system?
post #271 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

...

How hard was that? So would your inability to pay attention be labeled as typical of the American school system?

More commonly, it's caffeine.
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
post #272 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisEMayle View Post

More commonly, it's caffeine.

I guess. But damn, it is pretty obvious. I thought reading was "Fun-damental". It was when I went to school.
post #273 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

I guess. But damn, it is pretty obvious. I thought reading was "Fun-damental". It was when I went to school.

Yes, but too often the first syllable is in conflict with the last two.
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
post #274 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisEMayle View Post

Yes, but too often the first syllable is in conflict with the last two.

Are you referring to the "demential" part?
post #275 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Are you referring to the "demential" part?

fun often conflicts with the mental part.

Not important.
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
post #276 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisEMayle View Post

fun often conflicts with the mental part.

Not important.

I was close.
post #277 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Classic coming from a Fin. I do recall the a-holish control Nokia placed on Voicestream [the days before T-Mobile USA] and how draconian Nokia was about it's product line. Those were fun times, watching internally the pissed off looks on all the Voicestream personnel.

HE IS IS A RARE UN FINNISH FINN


please read his tag line
>>>>>

in other news ATT wins the award for best cell coverage in the only true market
USA

go apple

peace 9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #278 of 331
Why ask a question if you already know the answer?

The answer I gave was in Finnish, it suggested a search which leads to the answer you already knew.

Australia not being part of the US has the International version of the Kindle, so people here pay $US2 more per book to cover "the cost of doing biz" as you put it and as I posted before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Thanks Curtis,

This I knew already, as the Kindle forums are in advanced freak out mode. I was asking if there was something else other than this. I already knew about the cost of doing biz with the "international" version Kindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

easier than answering a question, I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisEMayle View Post

I understand. I'm only familiar with the $2 fee for roaming outside of the U.S. (excluding Mexico, Japan, Hong Kong)
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #279 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

What idiot actually expects ATT to allow multiple devices to piggyback off of a data pkg you have for your phone?
Insane!!

The same idiots who connect multiple devices to their unlimited local telephone connection. the same idiots who connect several TVs to their unlimited cable TV connection. And finally, the same idiots who connect several devices to their unlimited home internet connection.

Those idiots are surprised that they cannot hook up another device to their already "unlimited" ATT data connection.

Insane, indeed...
post #280 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Like hell we do

Looks like they upped the amount. It now pays for 1GB:

http://www.telusmobility.com/en/QC/c...es/index.shtml

which is still an order of magnitude different.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Reader: Steve Jobs says no tethering between iPad and iPhone