or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple posts surprise ad for iPad during the Oscars

Apple posts surprise ad for iPad during the Oscars

post #1 of 74
Apple captured the attention of movie buffs and the entire film industry by publishing a new teaser commercial for the iPad during the Academy Awards presentation Sunday evening.

The new 30 second spot, backed by The Blue Van's catchy tune "There Goes My Love," races through a variety of iPad features.

It quickly demonstrates browsing through photo albums with finger gestures, then shows how to download ebooks from the new iBook Store and using the new full screen versions of Mobile Safari and Apple's Maps application based on Google's Map service (below).

It also highlights the expanded version of the iPhone OS' email app, iTunes media playback featuring the movie "Star Trek," and a subtle mention of page layout and word processing within Apple's multitouch version of iWork's Pages app.

The fast-paced new ad then flashes through a rapid sequence of other apps including Maps and iTunes album playback to finish with the iPad's April 3 launch date.

The ad is available on Apple's Web site, but has not yet been added to the company's YouTube channel.
post #2 of 74
Just happened to walk past the TV when this ad was showing. Good stuff. Let the blitz begin!
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #3 of 74
The apps will make this thing great. The apps aren't here yet, so people can't see it--but in a years time this thing might well explode in popularity. It might take longer even, but the apps are the thing that will sell this device. That and we're just coming to a point in technology where the: "casual computer" needed to arrive.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #4 of 74
Fast paced indeed. Didn't they get in trouble for iPhone adds that speeded up the process? I saw the add twice, but forgot to look for a speeded up disclaimer...
Still, was effective. Looked like fun!
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #5 of 74
In my not so humble opinion, the ad was Best Picture. Here's the ad...
http://www.apple.com/ipad/gallery/#hardware06
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
post #6 of 74
Apple has show new commercials at the Oscars for years
post #7 of 74

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #8 of 74
Looks like the beleaguered Apple Corp has another fledging new prototype. Let the mainstream media crow on about today's and yesterday's fashions, and how this product is unlikely to succeed. Let the media doubt whether Apple can even continue, or whether it will collapse into fairy dust.
post #9 of 74
[CENTER]Extremely Meh!

(Funny how quickly the sped past the keyboard entry portion)[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #10 of 74
Too bad they aired a commercial during something most people aren't watching. That being said, sort of like the demand this device is actually going to have.
post #11 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Too bad they aired a commercial during something most people aren't watching. That being said, sort of like the demand this device is actually going to have.

Most people aren't watching any given thing. So what was your point, exactly?
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #12 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Most people aren't watching any given thing. So what was your point, exactly?

"Point, he don't need no stinkin' point!" (paraphrasing Blazing Saddles, which paraphrased Treasure of Sierra Madre"
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

post #13 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]Extremely Meh!

(Funny how quickly the sped past the keyboard entry portion)[/CENTER]

Yeah, 'cause "typing" on a querty is such a interesting and unusual feature.
post #14 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Looks like the beleaguered Apple Corp has another fledging new prototype. Let the mainstream media crow on about today's and yesterday's fashions, and how this product is unlikely to succeed. Let the media doubt whether Apple can even continue, or whether it will collapse into fairy dust.

It's Apple Inc., not Apple Corp.

See you at $275 per share.
post #15 of 74
post #16 of 74
I noticed that in the email section the user opened multiple documents (emails to read) and they piled on the right. I hadn't seen that interface element before in mail. It's an implementation of a multiple open document interface. Clearly related to the piles of photos in the album views and I suspect that touching them pops them open to select one out of the set.

I think we'll see a lot of new interface elements as Apple works out how to do the tasks we expect to do on desktops but with a touch interface.

Next is a pile of apps in the dock which are the ones I'm using currently and want available for fast switching (and controlled, specialized multi-tasking).
post #17 of 74
This is what they meant when they said it would be Magic. It floats on your lap to provide a proper typing angle! Amazing...

post #18 of 74
I hope they've figured out the kinks on the large scale touch keyboard. I'd like to think that I'm used to the iPhone keyboard and I still find missed inputs and errors here and there.

When I saw Steve typing on the iPad keynote, he always did it fairly slowly and gingerly to make sure the keyboard kept up with his input. It also doesn't help that they suggested the physical keyboard attachment when featuring the iWork program.
lmao internet
lmao internet
post #19 of 74
Noisy, self involved, narcissistic, and just to precious for words.

And I don't like the iPad ad, either.
post #20 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

Noisy, self involved, narcissistic, and just to precious for words.

And I don't like the iPad ad, either.

Just like I want it.
post #21 of 74
On the high quality video @ apple.com, look around second 4, in the middle of the top bezel.
We very clearly see a spot.

Can it be a camera ?
Some may think it is an ambient light sensor, but given the position in the exact center, i highly doubt it...

Let the mayem begin

Mac.

--
Help make the internet better, faster, broader and slave free :
Join YouTube's HTML5 beta (youtube.com/html5) and on vimeo click the "Switch to HTML5 player" link below any video.
post #22 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Your understanding of TV is as rudimentary as your market predictive capabilities . Oscars will draw between 40M and 55M viewers (probably tending to the high end due to Avatar) which makes it one of the most watched TV events of the year pretty much behind only the Superbowl.

If you are going to sink $3M into advertising, 2x30 second slots during the Oscars is a great idea. If the target is fashion-conscious, non-tech, media savvy, and female market, (which it primarily is) there is no better TV event in the year.

I'll bet recognition/awareness and intention to buy will go up tomorrow (a bit).
post #23 of 74
I want one, but not this one, i think i can wait for the 3g model. Nice song.
post #24 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarein View Post

decade level cool post

now i wanna buy one

thanks
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #25 of 74
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...delay-software

While there are many, this guy gets to blog quite peacefully about his feelings.
post #26 of 74
My wife and I, we like the grip of the macbook much better than the metal ones. We are completely Apple based at home ( phone, laptop, desktop ). But we'll wait till Apple comes up with a polycarbonate version of the iPad.
post #27 of 74
You don't really understand camera angles, do you?

Imagine this shot, taken from the point of view of the person using the iPad with the camera pointing almost parallel to the floor.

It would look like the picture you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarein View Post

This is what they meant when they said it would be Magic. It floats on your lap to provide a proper typing angle! Amazing...

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #28 of 74
Looks delicious!
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
post #29 of 74
I was pleasantly surprised to see three showings of this ad during the Oscars. It reminded me of the classiness and powerful impact of the '84 Superbowl ad when I saw that one ages ago.

I was pleased to see Apple wisely pump the big bucks into promoting the iPad, which will have even more impact on society than its ancestor, the Mac, has had.

This is only the beginning, folks!

Daniel Swanson

Daniel Swanson

post #30 of 74
He-he. I enjoyed the way iPhone legacy user interface was kept totally out of focus.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #31 of 74
I didn't like the ad. It was too hurried. It seemed like they felt they had to throw in in every iPad functionality possible in every microsecond they had.

The music was mediocre too. (But then, what do I know -- I think that today's popular music is awash in a sea of mediocrity. I long for the days of substantive stuff).
post #32 of 74
And, it was a bit odd for SJ to make an appearance at the Oscar no? Not his style...... http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...26tbs%3Disch:1
post #33 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

And, it was a bit odd for SJ to make an appearance at the Oscar no? Not his style...... http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...26tbs%3Disch:1

One of his other babies was getting an Oscar or two... Up!

Technically, now Pixar is part of Disney, but Steve helped them on their way. Up! even has Steve listed in the credits under Special Thanks, if I recall correctly.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #34 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The apps will make this thing great. The apps aren't here yet, so people can't see it--but in a years time this thing might well explode in popularity. It might take longer even, but the apps are the thing that will sell this device. That and we're just coming to a point in technology where the: "casual computer" needed to arrive.

What do you mean? All existing apps in the store work NOW, and many developers have already started on the iPad ports which will be available from day one.
post #35 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

What do you mean? All existing apps in the store work NOW, and many developers have already started on the iPad ports which will be available from day one.

Yeah, but aside from games (yet not excluding them either), the iPad screams "Develop For Me".

It's a great place-holder feature that it runs iPhone Apps, but like he said, in year you won't be using many iPhone apps on it any longer, unless you refuse to buy new ones.

Most people will use iPad specific apps because they will be a much deeper and natural experience on the iPad.
post #36 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

One of his other babies was getting an Oscar or two... Up!

Technically, now Pixar is part of Disney, but Steve helped them on their way. Up! even has Steve listed in the credits under Special Thanks, if I recall correctly.

True. But Pixar has been up for, and winning Oscars for many years running now. As has Disney, where SJ has been the largest shareholder since 2007.

Why this year? Perhaps to signal the fact that he is now aspiring to be a Hollywood 'player' with the iPad?
post #37 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Always remember: It us US versus THEM.
post #38 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by futuremac View Post

I want one, but not this one, i think i can wait for the 3g model. Nice song.

I want one, but not this one. I think I can wait for the one that plays flash and has a 16:9 aspect ratio and will allow unfettered access to software.
post #39 of 74
Methinks you need to read your own signature:

Remember: Your View-Point Is Not The Only Perspective.
post #40 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

I want one, but not this one. I think I can wait for the one that plays flash and has a 16:9 aspect ratio and will allow unfettered access to software.

There will never be one that plays flash.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple posts surprise ad for iPad during the Oscars