or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Blockbuster 2010 Mac sales expected to carry into February for Apple

Blockbuster 2010 Mac sales expected to carry into February for Apple - Page 3

post #81 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Its too bad that good sales are not good enough by themselves - they have to make it "look better". I don't get the analysts.

jaff is a weird dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewchenko View Post

Even more amazing considering most of Apple's current mac products use old out of date technology and are in dire need of updates....
Im looking at you Macbooks/Macbook Pros/Airs/Minis/Mac Pro's !
ilst the user experience may well be 1st class, there is nothing worse that flogging off year old tech at launch prices.

my MBP153.02 GHz will beat any other lap top on the planet in every way . the snow is the first step to a brand new world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

No surprises here . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

When it comes to Apple, 'down' is good. So is 'up.'

Go figure.

reminds me of the dead cat bounce stock quotes
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #82 of 91
The majority of posts in this thread are silly. Apple is never going to cover the full gamut of options out there in PC land. Their size and focus automatically preclude that. Also many of the machines out there in PC land have just plain stupid options, such as legacy serial ports, VGA ports, etc.

I'm still waiting for Apple to replace the form factor of the PowerBook G4 12" - to me that's the last real hole in their line - it's obvious they think the MacBook Air plugs that requirement - but for me it does't as the footprint is twice the size of my beloved G4 12".

It's the rub - Apple is never going to be all things to all people. However they have enough devices, for me, that are close enough that I still find all the other pro's about Apple and their environment compelling enough to continue to use them.

And in reality, the tablet is close enough to what I used to use my 12" PB for that I will most likely fill that need for me. We'll see April 3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think within a few years we'll see the tablet market become relevant and within 5 years the iPad could outpace the Mac in terms of revenue and profit, despite continued record growth in Mac sales.

I don't think it will take five years - I think it will take less than two. I know I've said it before, but I'm still surprised my parents are as interested in the iPad as they are. Yesterday, out of the blue my dad started quizzing me about it again - they want me to pre-order one for them

I think there is a huge, untapped market of non-traditional users like my father. People who couldn't care less about open source, command lines, walled gardens and everything else techie philosophers get wrapped up about. He want's email, some web browsing and to get some newspapers and magazines electronically. So far it looks like the iPad will do all that, in spades. He is far from alone - indeed, I would wager that market is far larger than the market for traditional computer users. It's being masked right now because today a traditional computer is the only real viable option out there. With the iPad it will be interesting to see just how much of a shift happens.
post #83 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

No way, i like my optical drive and need it frequently. for a 15" MBP to go without optical, i wouldn't buy it. you want that, get an air.

for battery life? hah, most places i go have power. i need a portable office, even when i fly, where i can burn discs. cd's for music samples. and then also BD so i can backup my photography and video.

But your in the minority. Don't be surprised if optical drives don't start disappearing from smaller laptops..

Quote:
so... i really want BD. Need BD. and don't really think Battery life is all the PR on it is saying. and even if so, I CAN PLUG INTO POWER most of the time.

Then plug in an eternal USB. They start at $120: http://fastmac.com/blurayext If you are somewhere you can plug in power, then plugging in an external drive shouldn't be a big deal either.
post #84 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

I'm still waiting for Apple to replace the form factor of the PowerBook G4 12" - to me that's the last real hole in their line - it's obvious they think the MacBook Air plugs that requirement - but for me it does't as the footprint is twice the size of my beloved G4 12".

I think that is it. Maybe the 4:3 form factor will reemerge but I think most vendors will go with 16:9 displays currently found in netbooks, which is too bad.

if you look at the screen height, not resolution) of the 12" 4:3 PB verse the 13: 16:9 MB the 12" PB is actually a half-inch taller than the larger MB. Since reading text is important I'm glad they never went with a smaller display in that ratio.

We know Apple likes to keeps things simple by keeping them the same, but I'm glad they thought out the usage needs here and didn't just go with what was fashionable. My only fear is that the next line of MBPs will use 16:10, which is admittedly fine for the 17" model and will allow for separating the hot components for better back side cooling, but would be horrible on the 13" model.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #85 of 91
I can't believe no one's called RussellSakay out as a troll yet.

RussellSakay: EPIC TROLLING.

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

post #86 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddych View Post

I can't believe no one's called RussellSakay out as a troll yet.

RussellSakay: EPIC TROLLING.

How am I trolling?

Defending Apple against a stupid statement. "Macs use old out dated hardware."

That's trolling, really?

idiot.
post #87 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellSakay View Post

I'm not waiting, plain on preordering the 64 GB Wifi.

Question is for the preorder there is a rumor going around that people who preorder get a free gift, is that true?

Not Trolling... Just a question.
post #88 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellSakay View Post

If Dell and Hp are sooo advanced why am I not seeing any of them with HDMI ports, still being made with the old out dated 1960's serial pin connectors in the back? Plus please tell me what the heck is with all the stupid LCD terminal lights? Mac has one light to let you know it asleep. Why all the other lights, do people really need to know that their Hard Drive is running?

Unanswered...
Not Trolling
post #89 of 91
Some of us have noticed how often you call other people idiots. That is at least supposed to be a violation of the board rules.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #90 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Some of us have noticed how often you call other people idiots. That is at least supposed to be a violation of the board rules.

I just get mad when people post comments unneeded for the forums.
post #91 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

The majority of posts in this thread are silly. Apple is never going to cover the full gamut of options out there in PC land. Their size and focus automatically preclude that. Also many of the machines out there in PC land have just plain stupid options, such as legacy serial ports, VGA ports, etc.

It's the rub - Apple is never going to be all things to all people. However they have enough devices, for me, that are close enough that I still find all the other pro's about Apple and their environment compelling enough to continue to use them.

And in reality, the tablet is close enough to what I used to use my 12" PB for that I will most likely fill that need for me. We'll see April 3rd

I don't think it will take five years - I think it will take less than two. I know I've said it before, but I'm still surprised my parents are as interested in the iPad as they are. Yesterday, out of the blue my dad started quizzing me about it again - they want me to pre-order one for them

I think there is a huge, untapped market of non-traditional users like my father. People who couldn't care less about open source, command lines, walled gardens and everything else techie philosophers get wrapped up about. He want's email, some web browsing and to get some newspapers and magazines electronically. So far it looks like the iPad will do all that, in spades. He is far from alone - indeed, I would wager that market is far larger than the market for traditional computer users. It's being masked right now because today a traditional computer is the only real viable option out there. With the iPad it will be interesting to see just how much of a shift happens.

What I see the iPad doing is giving desktop machines a boost. It make senses to emphasize power in a desktop for particular tougher jobs (video editing etc.) and take advantage of the iPad's portability otherwise. The laptop is very much a compromise, though as compromises go suited to the needs of quite a few folks. Keep in mind that quite a few people have built up a huge library of content that will not fit on the modest flash memory available on the iPad. It makes more sense as a companion to a more powerful machine.

On the other hand, your point has merit. There are people, no doubt numbering in the millions, who would be perfectly happy using the iPad as their sole computing device.

I can see the iPad working on both levels, namely as a standalone, convenient hand-held device or as a good companion to a full-function computer. For me it's going to fit in with Scenario No. 2.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Blockbuster 2010 Mac sales expected to carry into February for Apple