or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Freeware alternative to InDesign?

Freeware alternative to InDesign?

post #1 of 8
I am looking for a freeware version of a page layout application similar to InDesign for the Mac. My son needs it for school.

About the only one I found was http://www.scribus.net/, are there any other alternatives?

Thanks!
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS29 View Post

I am looking for a freeware version of a page layout application similar to InDesign for the Mac. My son needs it for school.

About the only one I found was http://www.scribus.net/, are there any other alternatives?

Thanks!

How sophisticated does the program need to be? One can achieve quite nice result in Pages. I have produced posters this way including one for a scientific conference. Does the school require InDesign specifically?

Regards.
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

How sophisticated does the program need to be? One can achieve quite nice result in Pages. I have produced posters this way including one for a scientific conference. Does the school require InDesign specifically?

Regards.

Pages would work aside from the fact I am trying to get by w/o spending any $ because we already have MS Office for Mac 2004. There is not requirement for InDesign. It is just the layout software I have used in the past. I know I could probably get it done in Word, but it isn't really designed for this type of work.
post #4 of 8
Quote:

Pages would work aside from the fact I am trying to get by w/o spending any $ because we already have MS Office for Mac 2004. There is not requirement for InDesign. It is just the layout software I have used in the past. I know I could probably get it done in Word, but it isn't really designed for this type of work.

Depending on the age of your system/s of course, I'd recommend that you have a look at iWork, it really is nice to use. I have a late version of Office that I barely touch. Pages even supports EndNote now. Keynote is a joy to work with.

Regards.
post #5 of 8
I second that. iWork is worth the cost, even if you only use one of the three apps.

The primary benefit of iWork is its ease of use: the apps use similar menus at times (for example, when editing a photo) and they are integrated nicely with iLife. If you are worried about cost, consider time saved achieving a task; iWork is easy to learn and use, saving lots of time.

Pages can be used to produce awesome stuff. I produce lots of stuff including classroom materials, text books, etc.; though I have and know how to use InDesign, I often prefer Pages.

Keynote is awesome. It simply blows PowerPoint away.

Yeah, I used to have and use Office. It is no longer installed on either my personal or my work machines.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #6 of 8
Quote:

Thanks!

If you don't need it for a long time, you can use Ragtime:

http://www.ragtime.de/start.html

Also, they have given free licenses for educational uses in the past so I wouldn't hesitate to ask them if they would do that for you.
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

If you don't need it for a long time, you can use Ragtime:

http://www.ragtime.de/start.html

Also, they have given free licenses for educational uses in the past so I wouldn't hesitate to ask them if they would do that for you.

Thanks for all the input. I stopped on the way home last night, picked up a copy of iWork and my son (and I) were able to get his project done w/little drama. Pages is really an intuitive, easy program to work with. As one poster said, well worth the $ spent.
post #8 of 8
Glad the project went well.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Freeware alternative to InDesign?