or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › HP attacks Apple iPad over Flash, ARM expects 50 new tablets in 2010

HP attacks Apple iPad over Flash, ARM expects 50 new tablets in 2010 - Page 5

post #161 of 260
Flash is not a killer app.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
post #162 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

That is specious. The 'Pad uses a 1930's era aspect ratio, despite pretty much every other new screened device using the normal 16:9 aspect ratio.

Old tech is NOT rejected by Apple. "Old tech" is instead an excuse for the gullible.

Apple uses both old and new tech.

The iPad is serving up all kinds of media, not just video. So I can see why the screen may not necessarily be tied to the aspect ratio typically associated with video, or computer monitors, or any other specific thing. You know that Apple doesn't just arbitrarily design their products. They anguish over every detail for years in the lab, working the trade-offs. If they selected 4 by 3, then there was a bloody good reason they did so. They just don't spend a bunch of commercial time explaining why.

Thompson
post #163 of 260
Due to complaints that the iPad is using an antiquated 1930's 4:3 aspect ratio technology, Steve Jobs announce that Apple only supports the latest technologies. The iPad will be redesigned to support HD movies and videos at 16:9 aspect ratio--so what if you have more problems reading iBooks.

When asked what will happen to the iPads already produced, Jobs said that they will be sold on eBay as expensive paperweights. He said that he regrets not having a camera installed in these iPads since he could have sold them as cameras instead.
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
post #164 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Due to complaints that the iPad is using an antiquated 1930's 4:3 aspect ratio technology, Steve Jobs announce that Apple only supports the latest technologies. The iPad will be redesigned to support HD movies and videos at 16:9 aspect ratio--so what if you have more problems reading iBooks.

When asked what will happen to the iPads already produced, Jobs said that they will be sold on eBay as expensive paperweights. He said that he regrets not having a camera installed in these iPads since he could have sold them as cameras instead.

Oh, they could use the iPads to show old B&W silent movies. That would be right in line with the "antiquated aspect ratio".
post #165 of 260
Quote:

In an even newer press release Apple has announced that video will not be allowed on the iPad for fears that people will realize that it predates the "antiquated 1930's technology" by several decades, thus making moving pictures an even greater potential issue than the aspect ratio.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #166 of 260
Quote:

That is specious. The 'Pad uses a 1930's era aspect ratio, despite pretty much every other new screened device using the normal 16:9 aspect ratio.

Old tech is NOT rejected by Apple. "Old tech" is instead an excuse for the gullible.

Apple uses both old and new tech.

Since when is form factor referred to as technology. You might need to look up the definition of technology. And then look up the definition of design/industrial design.
post #167 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Q1: Has anyone here gone to an HP forum simply to trash talk HP's efforts the way iGenius is here trash talking the iPad and every other Apple product?

Q2: Since I tend to involve myself with normal, intelligent, sane people can anyone explain to me the mentality behind his comments on this forum?

Well to be accurate iGenius isn't so much PRO HP as much as he is vehemently anti-Apple or at the very least anti-iPad and even if I'm wrong and iGenius is in fact MR-HP-GUNG-HO then I still feel that posting a never-ceasing stream of rants and untruths on HP "Fan Forums" is still beneath all but the most annoying posters here on AI.

As for question #2? I am not licensed in any of the Psychiatric disciplines so it wouldn't be fair to me to address the level of sanity and/or the level on insanity of any poster. So, I think you'll need to handle question #2 in whatever way you feel is appropriate, provided it's within the posting rules of AI.
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #168 of 260
Quote:

And in even newer news >>>> Steve Jobs and Apple decide to totally redesign the look of video playback and give it a blown out, grayish, curved TV tube look to fit the aspect ratio. And as an accessory, sell a big wooden box that the iPad can slip into and put into the living room to watch moving pictures.
post #169 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

It's called jealousy, very simple.
This must be his life......

Well, one has to wonder why he feels compelled to choose the name "iGenius".

In my experience, people who needlessly advertise their status as a "mental giant" do so because they have learned that other people won't just naturally recognize that status as a normal consequence of interaction. In other words, such people think more highly of themselves than other people commonly do. Usually, but admittedly not always, the other people are correct.

Thompson
post #170 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

And in even newer news >>>> Steve Jobs and Apple decide to totally redesign the look of video playback and give it a blown out, grayish, curved TV tube look to fit the aspect ratio. And as an accessory, sell a big wooden box that the iPad can slip into and put into the living room to watch moving pictures.

In even newerer news Steve Jobs has stated that words are not allowed on the iPad because language dates back thousands of years. He also stated that metals and glass will no longer be used in any Apple product for the same reason.
post #171 of 260
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

In even newerer news Steve Jobs has stated that words are not allowed on the iPad because language dates back thousands of years. He also stated that metals and glass will no longer be used in any Apple product for the same reason.

You guys crack me up. This is highly entertaining.
post #172 of 260
Stupid ad. Most consumers will have NO IDEA what the heck they are talking about. Most don't know what Flash is or that there is this for tech debate going on etc. If HP wants to be effective they will need to be explicit, show a demo between the two devices.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
post #173 of 260
The HP Slate will be a miserable failure.
post #174 of 260
Quote:

Q1: Has anyone here gone to an HP forum simply to trash talk HP's efforts the way iGenius is here trash talking the iPad and every other Apple product?

Q2: Since I tend to involve myself with normal, intelligent, sane people can anyone explain to me the mentality behind his comments on this forum?

Ah, simple.

1. No.

2. Low self-esteem. Too much time on hands. Or both.
post #175 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...&RS=PN/7479949

Read and be educated....

Um... sure. Just as soon as I finish stabbing myself in the eyes, I'll get right on it.
post #176 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Stupid ad. Most consumers will have NO IDEA what the heck they are talking about. Most don't know what Flash is or that there is this for tech debate going on etc. If HP wants to be effective they will need to be explicit, show a demo between the two devices.

And then watch the said most consumers' eyes glaze over. Demo over. Sales rep: "So you see, the HP is really the far superior wah wah wah wah wah wah wah wah wah wah wah wah wah wah wah..." Said consumer: "I like the iPad - its so cool"
post #177 of 260
Quote:

Q1 is really irrelevant - it's all about Q2. He has an extremely high opinion of himself and I think he may just feel a little under appreciated. His demeanour is wholly unpleasant and he seems angry. I also really believe he suffers from some kind of obsessive compulsive disorder the way he harps on about silly details such as the aspect ratio issue. we all disagree from time to time but he cannot let go. He's really got himself in a twist over the iPad.
post #178 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Oh, they could use the iPads to show old B&W silent movies. That would be right in line with the "antiquated aspect ratio".

If the iPad's speakers are anything like the speakers on my mid-2006 MacBook, silent movies may be the way to go.

Edit:
I would note, I wrote this on said MacBook and it loves me.
post #179 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by gFiz View Post

sadly, HP is right. from a pure web surfing experience, the HP is indisputably superior. Can't even use the Windows vs. OS X argument here. The kicker will be the battery lives. Steve claims adding flash woudl knock down the battery life from 10 to 2 hours. Something tells my the HP slate is going to have more than 2 hour battery life.

Apple is banking on HTML 5 being the future of web, and IE is not capable of running a lot of HTML 5. Granted you'll be able to download other browsers but I suspect none will have the ground up design around touch that Safari for mobile has.

Having used a couple of other windows touch devices designed around the touch API in Vista & Win 7 I can tell you the touch experience on any Win device out there is going to stink in comparison with the iPad. Responsiveness & accuracy on those things is just aweful. In the end what good is touch if it only ever frustrates you.
post #180 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraithofwonder View Post

If the iPad's speakers are anything like the speakers on my mid-2006 MacBook, silent movies may be the way to go.

Edit:
I would note, I wrote this on said MacBook and it loves me.

Hey, my late '08 unibody 15" MBP isn't anything to write home about in the sound department either. My late '05 17" PB G4 actually had significantly better sound. But then, I didn't really buy my 15" MBP for it's sonic performance.
post #181 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Hey, my late '08 unibody 15" MBP isn't anything to write home about in the sound department either. My late '05 17" PB G4 actually had significantly better sound. But then, I didn't really buy my 15" MBP for it's sonic performance.

Nor did I buy my MacBook for its. On the other hand, it would be nice if it were just a bit louder - I have adorable cousins and they are rather fond of being able to hear the video they're watching via my iTunes collection, a collection they've had a considerable role influencing and the smallest background noise can make that darn near impossible.

I had hoped that a MBP would be a possible future solution... *sigh*
post #182 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraithofwonder View Post

Nor did I buy my MacBook for its. On the other hand, it would be nice if it were just a bit louder - I have adorable cousins and they are rather fond of being able to hear the video they're watching via my iTunes collection, a collection they've had a considerable role influencing and the smallest background noise can make that darn near impossible.

I had hoped that a MBP would be a possible future solution... *sigh*

Well, my PB G4 was the 17" model after all and I think that had a lot to do with how decent it sounded. Truth is, I don't know if the 17" unibody MBP shares the 15" model's sonic shortcomings. But then the 17" PB was just so damn big.
post #183 of 260
Quote:

It was also pointed out yesterday that IMAX is 22m x 16.1m for an aspect ratio of 1.37. An aspect ratio of 4:3 is 1.33. So according to iGenius IMAX is "antqiue" and an "1930s technology".

Well, if we want to go totally off-topic and talk about the aspect ratios of film, we have to go back to Edison. For reasons I've never been clear on, it was Edison who determined that motion-picture film stock should be 35 millimeters wide, and that one frame should equal four perforations. That gives an aspect ratio of about 1.3:1 *but that only lasted until the advent of the optical soundtrack. The soundtrack on a movie print occupies a little bit of the film on the left side, inside the perforations, so the picture had to be slightly narrower. It became about 1.4:1, which is called the "Academy sound aperture." (The other size is the "Academy silent aperture," because it was used on silent films, obviously.)

We still use 4-perf 35mm film almost exclusively today, but we use either an anamorphic process that yields a final aspect ratio of about 2.4:1, or we matte out the bottom and top of the frame to get to the 1.85:1 aperture.

IMAX doesn't use 35mm film at all; it uses 70mm film, but pulled sideways instead of vertically through the camera. (That part isn't unique; you can pull 35mm film sideways through a motion picture camera as well, in a format called Vistavision.) A frame of IMAX is 15 perfs wide, with a negative aspect ratio of about 1.3:1. But due to a peculiarity of the IMAX format, the actual projected aperture is closer to 1.4:1.

Quote:
Also according to Wikipedia, the 'Pad uses the same aspect ratio as 16mm film.

Very close to it. Sixteen millimeter film uses the same aperture aspect ratio as 4-perf 35mm (1.4:1, roughly) for the simple reason that you can easily blow up a 16mm negative to a 35mm release print.

Then there's Super 16, which uses only one row of perfs on the edge of the film and can take a slightly wider image with a 1.7:1 aspect ratio, making it close to but slightly taller than HDTV. Lots of movies are shot on Super 16 and then hard-matted to the 1.85 ratio for the 35mm release prints.

This is all trivia, unless you happen to work in film. The bottom line is that there's more to aspect ratios than what shape your television is. The aspect ratio of HDTV isn't magical; in fact, it's unique, being different from the various other common aspect ratios in our lives. So saying the iPad is poorly designed because it uses an aspect ratio that's different from a television screen (or a feature film, or whatever) is kind of dumb.
post #184 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomfoolery View Post

The bottom line is that there's more to aspect ratios than what shape your television is. The aspect ratio of HDTV isn't magical; in fact, it's unique, being different from the various other common aspect ratios in our lives. So saying the iPad is poorly designed because it uses an aspect ratio that's different from a television screen (or a feature film, or whatever) is kind of dumb.

Even if the iPad had been designed as a dedicated video viewer it would have been dumb, though in that case 19;9 would have been a better choice as it would have been a good compromise for viewing most modern films / videos. But the discussion is ridiculous because the iPad is not designed for viewing video - though if you choose to do so it will serve that purpose well.
He he - reading your post also makes it clear that the aspect ratios of virtually all cinema screens, like the iPad, are utterly useless for watching any kind of video / movie as they are not fixed one way or the other .
post #185 of 260
Quote:

Nobody. That's because people who buy Apple products are always better people.
post #186 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

The iPad is serving up all kinds of media, not just video. So I can see why the screen may not necessarily be tied to the aspect ratio typically associated with video, or computer monitors, or any other specific thing.

Yep. It tries to be all things to all people. And for web surfing and vidos, it fails big time.

I expect that it will work great as an eReader, tho.
post #187 of 260
Quote:

I expect that it will work great as an eReader, tho.

But... but... but it uses an LCD instead of e-ink so it sucks at that, too.
post #188 of 260
Quote:

Since when is form factor referred to as technology. You might need to look up the definition of technology. And then look up the definition of design/industrial design.

Main Entry: tech·nol·o·gy
Pronunciation: \\-jē\\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural tech·nol·o·gies
Etymology: Greek technologia systematic treatment of an art, from technē art, skill + -o- + -logia -logy
Date: 1859

1 a : the practical application of knowledge especially in a particular area : engineering 2 <medical technology> b : a capability given by the practical application of knowledge <a car's fuel-saving technology>
2 : a manner of accomplishing a task especially using technical processes, methods, or knowledge <new technologies for information storage>
3 : the specialized aspects of a particular field of endeavor <educational technology>

How is a 4:3 aspect ratio not technology? It seems to be the practical application of knowledge and a manner of accomplishing a task.

But I forget where I am. We can use the word to mean anything we want.
post #189 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Well to be accurate iGenius isn't so much PRO HP as much as he is vehemently anti-Apple or at the very least anti-iPad and even if I'm wrong and iGenius is in fact MR-HP-GUNG-HO then I still feel that posting a never-ceasing stream of rants and untruths on HP "Fan Forums" is still beneath all but the most annoying posters here on AI.

What untruths have I posted?

And BTW, just so you know, my identity does not depend on my adoration of multinational brands.
post #190 of 260
Quote:

I don't think a pencil's thickness varies with the shade of graphite.

Yeah? Is that why my #27 pencil is as thick as my arm?

jk jk

I just said #2 pencil out of habit I guess lol.
post #191 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Well, one has to wonder why he feels compelled to choose the name "iGenius".

In my experience, people who needlessly advertise their status as a "mental giant" do so because they have learned that other people won't just naturally recognize that status as a normal consequence of interaction. In other words, such people think more highly of themselves than other people commonly do. Usually, but admittedly not always, the other people are correct.

Thompson

Because it is ridiculous to put "i" in front of words. Because it is ridiculous to call the PBTC in a mall a Genius.

It's called satire.

And you are right. Nobody would imagine that some pimple-faced kid working in a mall is a genius. That is why Apple calls them that - to make other people think more highly of their mall rats.
post #192 of 260
When it comes down to arguing over which is better, always keep in mind:

Each platform has unique functionality and a different target audience--neither of which really needs Flash in order to find value in the tablet device itself.
post #193 of 260
Quote:

Because it is ridiculous to put "i" in front of words. Because it is ridiculous to call the PBTC in a mall a Genius.

It's called satire.

Pediatric Brain Tumor Consortium?
post #194 of 260
Quote:

But... but... but it uses an LCD instead of e-ink so it sucks at that, too.

I have no real experience with eInk. But from what I have seen, LCD is far superior overall.
post #195 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Pediatric Brain Tumor Consortium?

Look it up.
post #196 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by gFiz View Post

going by today's market cap yes. but there's a difference between being today's darling on the stock exchange, and being a mammoth company that does 2x in annual revenue. Apple isn't beating down HP in anything. HP is a mammoth.

Was it perhaps a Freudian slip that you equated HP to an animal that is extinct?
post #197 of 260
Just a helpful hint: I've found that the moment anybody says "It's called satire," sneer and snort optional, is the precise moment when you can safely stop listening to them, secure in the knowledge that you're not missing a thing from there on out.

Sorry for going off-topic, but I just thought I'd share.
post #198 of 260
How good this is depends on how well HP have adapted Win 7 to multi-touch, but the underpinnings are clearly pretty solid. Full multi-tasking, a virtually unlimited amount of applications, an open unlocked OS, and access to a variety of full web browsers. Could be nice I guess, and generations ahead of a crippled device like the iPad. Like it or not flash it ubiquitous and essential to access the the world's most popular web sites.

When I hear people proudly declaring how the iPad will be replacing laptops and will be *everywhere* I just shake my head in disbelief. The lack of multi-tasking alone is a total deal breaker for the iPad - having to quit your email app/game/etc just to read/answer an IM, then reload it all again is mind numbingly stupid. I hate having to do it on my iPhone but on a device which has ambitions of being a laptop replacement..!? No chance.
post #199 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Could be nice I guess, and generations ahead of a crippled device like the iPad.

The iPad is not "crippled". It is "differently enabled".
post #200 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Full multi-tasking, a virtually unlimited amount of applications, an open unlocked OS, and access to a variety of full web browsers.

In other words, all the disadvantages of an old-fashioned desktop computer, combined with all the disadvantages of a handheld form factor?

Pardon me if I remain steadfastly unseduced.

Quote:
When I hear people proudly declaring how the iPad will be replacing laptops

You shouldn't listen to them. The iPad isn't designed to take the place of a laptop, except in places where laptops aren't optimal in the first place. (Like watching a movie on a plane, or idly surfing the Web on your couch for instance.)

Quote:
having to quit your email app/game/etc just to read/answer an IM, then reload it all again is mind numbingly stupid.

Well, there are some 20-odd million iPhone owners out there other than you, and they seem strangely immune to the impact of this travesty against God and all things natural.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › HP attacks Apple iPad over Flash, ARM expects 50 new tablets in 2010