or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Intel 'Gulftown' CPU announcement fuels rumors of new Mac Pro
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Intel 'Gulftown' CPU announcement fuels rumors of new Mac Pro

post #1 of 72
Thread Starter 
Intel this week previewed its forthcoming 32nm Core i7-980X processor, a six-core CPU codenamed "Gulftown," and a new rumor has suggested the chip could find its way into Apple's Mac Pro line as early as next Tuesday.

Adrian Kingsley-Hughes at ZDNet wrote Wednesday that he had received tips from sources that the hexacore processor would make its way to the Mac Pro desktop systems on March 16.

"If you're thinking of buying a Mac Pro, you might want to wait a few days," he wrote.

The new processor carries a speed of 3.33GHz, six cores capable of 12 threads, and 130W thermal design power. He also noted that he's heard no reports of impending changes to the MacBook Pro line.

The new six-core Mac Pro with the Core i7-980X has been rumored for months, with the chip set to arrive on the open market sometime this month. The new 32 nanometer chips have 12MB of L3 cache. Apple usually doubles the processors in its high-end professional workstations, so it's possible the new Mac Pro system could have a total of 12 cores and 24 threads.



The "Gulftown" processor will be sold under the Intel Core i9 name, while the server version, which has been adopted by Apple in the past, will fall under the Xeon 5600 series.



The last major refresh to the Mac Pro equipped it with its Nehalem Xeon processors, with a high-end eight-core Mac Pro offering two 2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5500 chips. Last year, Apple quietly upgraded that to a potential maximum 2.93GHz eight-core system.
post #2 of 72
Please let there be a blu-ray option.
post #3 of 72
It would be nice to see that offered in the Xserve line too. Does anyone use Xserve servers anymore?
post #4 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

It would be nice to see that offered in the Xserve line too. Does anyone use Xserve servers anymore?

Hope that this is true. Next in line for an upgrade is the MBP.
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
post #5 of 72
This information seems to have been known since December. Complete with release date.

http://www.crn.com/white-box/2220018...OSKH4ATMY32JVN
post #6 of 72
I'd love to see this in a new Mac Pro tower (with blu-Ray)

or also in the "mythical Midrage Mac Tower" which never comes. remember the old days when they had alot of desktop models?

damn, they are moving alot of computers, but their desktop line is smaller than it ought to be.
post #7 of 72
Oh, heck yeah!

[looks nervously at bank account]

Bring it!
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #8 of 72
Please, please please, everyone start collectively wishing that Apple have changed the cheese-grater design for something a little less IKEA kitchenware. I have always hated the awkward incongruity of that ugly chunk of metal.

MoBo's with Crossfire? SLI? Game companies are starting to look at Apple, now Mac gamers have to believe Apple are designing future Macs with better upgradability options especially in the GPU department.

Oh, I just woke up.
post #9 of 72
I wonder what video cards will be offered?
post #10 of 72
I want a new Mac mini, when to expect that?

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #11 of 72
[CENTER][CENTER]Why are rumors suddenly being fueled now?

Intel's i3/i5/i7 processors have been around for over 7 months now, and Apple still doesn't offer any of them in their upper-line computers

So much for providing 'leading edge' technology.
\
[/CENTER][/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #12 of 72
The Mac Pro with all these cores is really only good for programs that have such large static files to render that it can split the job amongst all the cores. Not many of Apple's "pro" apps can take advantage of Grand Central yet and they still they need very large files.

For regular personal use all these cores are extreme overkill, like Al Gores machine with 3 - 30" monitors.

You might use two cores all the time, rarely 4 or more constantly. Despite what some think, most people still do one major thing at a time and splitting up a small processing job amongst more cores takes longer than if it was done all on the first.

For 3D gaming your better off with a PS3. Less expensive and more people online willing to play 24/7.

However, if you need a Mac Pro, then 3D gaming is certainly a bonus option. Just be prepared to always be on the lookout for updated video cards, they can be in short supply for Mac's.

If you do get a Mac Pro, take a look at Folding@home on it with TeamMacOSX, at least the idle processor cycles can be put to good use curing disease.


Oh, I doubt BlueRay DVD movie playback will ever come to Mac's. Steve seems to really want to kill off any mechanical parts to consumer level Mac's and laptops.

A BlueRay data/burning drive could be a build to order internal option for Mac Pro's, like a second Superdrive. But since it's available as a external option, I don't see the need for Apple to bother.
post #13 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...that the hexacore processor would make its way to the Mac Pro desktop systems on March 16.

Please let this be true. Need a new Mac Pro at work and we've been waiting a long time for this.

Also looking forward to the day that apple grand centrals all of its pro apps.
post #14 of 72
[QUOTE=mitchelljd;1587738
or also in the "mythical Midrage Mac Tower" which never comes. remember the old days when they had alot of desktop models?

damn, they are moving alot of computers, but their desktop line is smaller than it ought to be.[/QUOTE]

They restrict the number of desktop models to make a point about how their laptop sales exceed desktop sales. They'd rather have an unsuccessful laptop (MB Air) than a new successful desktop. And since I know someone will respond with "ZOMG!!! How do you know MB Air is unsuccessful?!?!" - I live in San Francisco, the Mac capital of the US ,where so many residents have seemingly unlimited disposable income, and in the giant sea of Macs everywhere you go, I rarely see an Air.
post #15 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchelljd

or also in the "mythical Midrage Mac Tower" which never comes. remember the old days when they had alot of desktop models?

damn, they are moving alot of computers, but their desktop line is smaller than it ought to be.

They restrict the number of desktop models to make a point about how their laptop sales exceed desktop sales. They'd rather have an unsuccessful laptop (MB Air) than a new successful desktop. And since I know someone will respond with "ZOMG!!! How do you know MB Air is unsuccessful?!?!" - I live in San Francisco, the Mac capital of the US ,where so many residents have seemingly unlimited disposable income, and in the giant sea of Macs everywhere you go, I rarely see an Air.
post #16 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

So much for providing 'leading edge' technology.
\
[/CENTER][/CENTER]

Apple uses only leading edge technology.
post #17 of 72
This thing is gonna be beastly, but will there be programs that would utilize the full power of this beast. Yea we got GCD, but even with that I doubt all 6 cores would be utilized. Is there gonna be a dual CPU version with 12 cores?
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #18 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

They restrict the number of desktop models to make a point about how their laptop sales exceed desktop sales.

That is one of the most inane things I have heard.

Go read this article:

http://www.mobileedgeblog.com/2009/0...tops-sales-up/

Industry wide, people are simply buying laptops, and desktop purchases are ridiculously rare.

The reasons are simple. A laptop can serve the purpose of a desktop, but not vice versa. Besides, laptops nowadays are cheap (Apple's cheapest laptop is only a couple of hundred dollars more than the cheapest desktop, and in PC land, the price differences are even smaller).

More importantly, however, laptops are powerful enough to do anything 90% of the computer buying public wants to do.

Simply, Desktops, in their current form have outlived their usefulness.

That being said, I think Apple, with the iPad, might actually be the savior of the desktop....
post #19 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

...I rarely see an Air.

I've been around the country recently for two months and haven't seen a Air in the wild yet.


People keeping them in a special case or something for support? They are rather thin and fragile.


15" MacBook Pro's I see the most with a few Hummer 17" and a good dose of black or white MacBooks.
post #20 of 72
"Last year, Apple quietly upgraded that to a potential maximum 2.93GHz eight-core system."

The above bit of mis-information keeps getting repeated on AI stories about the Mac Pro.

The Nehalem series of Mac Pros were available from the beginning (early 2009) in an 8-core 2.93 GHz configuration. The quad-core systems were later upgraded to a 3.33 GHz option. 2.93 GHz was and still is the maximum for the 8-core systems. Kasper's Automated Slave needs a bit of reprogramming!
post #21 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

I've been around the country recently for two months and haven't seen a Air in the wild yet.


People keeping them in a special case or something for support? They are rather thin and fragile.


15" MacBook Pro's I see the most with a few Hummer 17" and a good dose of black or white MacBooks.

tons of them in the refurb store
post #22 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

I want a new Mac mini, when to expect that?


when apple upgrades the consumer models to i Core CPUs. my guess at WWDC
post #23 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

I want a new Mac mini, when to expect that?

I love the new Mac mini server.
It would be nice if they offered a Mac mini cluster node.
No Hard Drives. No video out. Quad-core CPU.

There should be a dedicated Mac mini Home Theater model as well with a real HDMI port.
post #24 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

when apple upgrades the consumer models to i Core CPUs. my guess at WWDC

Unlikely. Apple has never announced iMacs nor MacBooks in June or July.

The only consumer model is has ever announced in either month was the original debut of the Mac mini. Apple is far more likely to announce new consumer models in August (they have done this plenty of times), to coincide with back-to-school/end-of-year.

Apple has more frequently announced pro models in the WWDC timeframe, particularly MacBook Pros.
post #25 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

It would be nice to see that offered in the Xserve line too. Does anyone use Xserve servers anymore?


OS X may be cheaper than Windows, but XServe's don't scale up very well and you'll end up spending more money on more servers in the end. apple should just license it out so you can install it on HP or Dell servers
post #26 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Unlikely. Apple has never announced iMacs nor MacBooks in June or July.

The only consumer model is has ever announced in either month was the original debut of the Mac mini. Apple is far more likely to announce new consumer models in August (they have done this plenty of times), to coincide with back-to-school/end-of-year.

Apple has more frequently announced pro models in the WWDC timeframe, particularly MacBook Pros.

C2D is going away and with Dell/HP dropping prices on i Core systems it's making it very hard to buy Apple.
post #27 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

The Mac Pro with all these cores is really only good for programs that have such large static files to render that it can split the job amongst all the cores. Not many of Apple's "pro" apps can take advantage of Grand Central yet and they still they need very large files.

For regular personal use all these cores are extreme overkill, like Al Gores machine with 3 - 30" monitors.

You might use two cores all the time, rarely 4 or more constantly. Despite what some think, most people still do one major thing at a time and splitting up a small processing job amongst more cores takes longer than if it was done all on the first.

as a semi-pro user I find it almost impossible to max out the CPUs on my quad-core Mac Pro. No single program I use comes close to using all that CPU but what I find invaluable is my ability to do multiple CPU intensive tasks simultaneouly.
I can record DVD resolution video, encode another video into DVD format, convert a video to an MP3 audio file for a podcast, and burn 2 DVDs simultaneously without skipping a beat.
post #28 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Unlikely. Apple has never announced iMacs nor MacBooks in June or July.

The only consumer model is has ever announced in either month was the original debut of the Mac mini. Apple is far more likely to announce new consumer models in August (they have done this plenty of times), to coincide with back-to-school/end-of-year.

Apple has more frequently announced pro models in the WWDC timeframe, particularly MacBook Pros.

you sure about that? the last macbook pro revision was june last year, which included the new 13MBP.
post #29 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

as a semi-pro user I find it almost impossible to max out the CPUs on my quad-core Mac Pro. No single program I use comes close to using all that CPU but what I find invaluable is my ability to do multiple CPU intensive tasks simultaneously (sic).
I can record DVD resolution video, encode another video into DVD format, convert a video to an MP3 audio file for a podcast, and burn 2 DVDs simultaneously without skipping a beat.


Well if you get a 12 core Mac Pro, you'll have to work 3x or more harder to take advantage of all those cores.

You could take multitasking to whole new level. Berserkerville then Basketville.
post #30 of 72
Quote:
no reports of impending changes to the MacBook Pro line

Seriously, Apple, help a brother out.

This Core Duo isn't even 64-bit, and I can literally fry an egg on it if I run several tasks simultaneously.
post #31 of 72
new macbook pro will comes with dual cpu
x86 Gulftown
arm Apple A4
dual boot with iphone OS and OSX

Launch 27Mar
post #32 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

tons of them in the refurb store

Is that because -
1) they're more prone to problems
2) there's not high demand, so the refurbs sit around
3) they sell a lot of them so, therefore a lot of refurbs.

I'm guessing #2, with maybe a little of #1 due to their form factor. Looking on Craigslist, you'll see really good deals for MBAs, but not good deals for MBs (not even worth getting used because of the high resale value).
post #33 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

That is one of the most inane things I have heard.

I was actually being facetious, but Apple has always struck as being as much about idealogy as anything, and their neglect of their desktop lines has become a self fulfilling prophecy about the decline of the desktop.

I agree the desktop is declining in importance, now that there are quad core mobile CPUs, 500 GB 2.5" HDs, and powerful laptop graphics cards. But there is still value in desktops, especially as their components offer greater performance for less price. Personally I'm still tethered to my desktop PC (purchased when Apple declined to offer a mid range desktop) by my audio DSP PCIe cards. I'd love to replace it with my unibody MBP if the right hardware was available.
post #34 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER][CENTER]Why are rumors suddenly being fueled now?

Intel's i3/i5/i7 processors have been around for over 7 months now, and Apple still doesn't offer any of them in their upper-line computers

So much for providing 'leading edge' technology.
\
[/CENTER][/CENTER]

The 45-nanometer CPUs have been around for 7 months. Apple has clearly been waiting for the die shrink to 32-nanometers. The 45-nanometer parts were an interim step, not really advantageous, especially in terms of thermal envelope which is a big factor for Apple.

The Mac Pro would feature a Xeon processor anyhow which has additional circuitry for interchip communication. The consumer-grade chips aren't intended to be used in a multi-chip configuration.
post #35 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod323 View Post

you sure about that? the last macbook pro revision was june last year, which included the new 13MBP.

Yes, I am sure about it.

MacBook and MacBook Pro are two different product lines. Please feel free to consult the MacRumors buying guide:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro

If you don't believe me, go ahead and visit www.apple.com and see for yourself. They are separate.
post #36 of 72
You can throw Bluray in there now. Why buy it from Apple? As for pros, they don't need DRM playback, they are the creators. Apple isn't thinking about the MP as a machine for watching movings. That's not the concern. As far a burning bluray, nothing is stopping you.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/LG/WH10LS30KMP/
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
post #37 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Apple uses only leading edge technology.

This is not true.

Apple has often adopted new technology early (802.11b) and retired legacy hardware (serial ports, floppy drives) quickly, but there are instances where they hold out.

They are not using OLEDs in their handheld devices (iPhone, iPod, iPad) nor have they included Blu-ray players (Steve's "big bag of hurt") even as a build-to-order option in Mac Pros. They have balked at including eSATA, don't have USB 3.0 yet, and waffled on FireWire availability on notebooks in the past couple of years.
post #38 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

You can throw Bluray in there now. Why buy it from Apple? As for pros, they don't need DRM playback, they are the creators. Apple isn't thinking about the MP as a machine for watching movings. That's not the concern. As far a burning bluray, nothing is stopping you.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/LG/WH10LS30KMP/

hey thanks for the link. i may actually buy that. and upgrade my toast.

that said... i do want blu-ray playback on my MBP, i travel alot and buy alot of BD discs. definitely would like to be able to playback while on road. also would be pretty cool to have an HDMI out to watch on a bigscreen of hotel, house or such.

Hey, blu-Ray has shown love to apple with support for itunes and digital copy. its time for apple to return the favor.
post #39 of 72
why would they use non-xeon processors in the mac pro? Seems a bit odd actually since most of the mac pro users buy the computer based on the stability and power of the xeon line.

and also, 6 cores?
http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/08/i...-march-launch/

these apparently arrive in march.. Don't you think that apple has got a couple of pre-release processors for the mac pros, again?
post #40 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

hey thanks for the link. i may actually buy that. and upgrade my toast.

that said... i do want blu-ray playback on my MBP, i travel alot and buy alot of BD discs. definitely would like to be able to playback while on road. also would be pretty cool to have an HDMI out to watch on a bigscreen of hotel, house or such.

Hey, blu-Ray has shown love to apple with support for itunes and digital copy. its time for apple to return the favor.

go and download the movies you want to watch... there are so many sources where you can get fullhd movies...

concerning the MacBook Pro: I got a late 2006 MBP and seriously want my new MBP to have a different processor line than my 3 1/2 year old model! This is so stupid... Apple seems to be waiting for the next Core i version.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Intel 'Gulftown' CPU announcement fuels rumors of new Mac Pro