or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Buttons in OSX UI have to be pressed multiple times before registering a click!

Buttons in OSX UI have to be pressed multiple times before registering a click!

post #1 of 11
This is driving me insane, most times when i press a button in OSX I have to press up to 10 times to get it to register a click.

It's very frustrating.

The mouse i use is a logitech, but thats not the cause of the problem as other mice do the same, and so does the trackpad on this macbook pro 2.2ghz intel core 2 duo.

Any ideas would be appreciated...

PS: this is happening in Snow Leopard installing which is the worst mistake I ever made.
post #2 of 11
check the settings in your mouse panel.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #3 of 11
It must be either your mouse or the settings.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

It must be either your mouse or the settings.

it's definitely not the mouse itself.

I used to have a microsoft explorer mouse, I presumed it was broke, so i bought a logitech, and it does exactly the same thing.

The only thing i can think of is that it may be the drivers that microsoft mouse installed. I removed the microsoft mouse pref pane from system preferences, but do you think a deamon may exist still intercepting my mouse clicks?

The trackpad behaves in the same way as well.
post #5 of 11
If it's not the mouse, or it's settings: do a 'Repair Permissions' in Disk Utility, restart, and see if it's still doing it.
post #6 of 11
If you boot up holding shift, it will disable 3rd party kernel extensions so you can tell for sure if it's an issue with those.
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If you boot up holding shift, it will disable 3rd party kernel extensions so you can tell for sure if it's an issue with those.

Aha, I was hoping for something like this, I remember this technique now from the days of os7. Thankfully not had a need to restart with 'extensions off' for a good decade. Right, i shall try now..
post #8 of 11
Restarted with shift held, and all my problems disappear. Now I have to somehow work out how to deinstall whichever piece of software is causing this irritation. My money is on microsoft drivers.
post #9 of 11
RESOLVED:

I removed MicrosoftMouse.kext & SteerMouse.kext and everything seems to be behaving fine.
post #10 of 11
Nope... it's back again! Seems to get progressively worse the longer the mac has been on.

I'm gonna smash the computer with a cricket bat, that will solve it.
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Nope... it's back again! Seems to get progressively worse the longer the mac has been on.

I'm gonna smash the computer with a cricket bat, that will solve it.

Check out your startup items folder too to see if there's anything been installed in there. Also do the shift reboot now that the kernel extensions have been removed so it rebuilds the cache.

Have a look in the Activity Monitor too and list all processes to see if there's a mouse driver program running.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Buttons in OSX UI have to be pressed multiple times before registering a click!