or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 4.0 software to deliver multitasking support

Apple's iPhone 4.0 software to deliver multitasking support - Page 10

post #361 of 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Thanks, now the figures are 61 post by iGenius and 95 responses to iGenius, not to mention the off topic post about stagnation of the iPhone. Topic: "Apple's iPhone 4.0 software to deliver multitasking support" See my comments @ #344. Also thought that the graphs took up a lot of space which had nothing to do with the topic. Oh, I forgot my two post so 97 responses to iGenius.

Plus the posts of you guys talking about how many posts were spent on him. Enough already!
post #362 of 468
Plus this post by me remarking on Mel's post pointing out the posts about people responding to iGenius.

And now I must throw myself from a window to break the spell.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #363 of 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Plus the posts of you guys talking about how many posts were spent on him. Enough already!

Sorry\
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
post #364 of 468
Check what you can do with jailbroken iPhones and Android phones.

Pretty cool, 'ey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokessd View Post

Once again, the article paints jailbreakers as Malware victims and pirates. Jailbreaking for me has provided functionality that is significant and blatantly missing from the stock OS. Ad blocking, time based silent mode, a lock screen that is useful, better navigation tools and app backgrounding (freeze drying, not really multi-tasking). It's all good stuff and is sorely overdue.

I also have a unique SMS notification sound. How many of you in a crowded place think you've got an SMS only to find out someone near you did, and you are still so very alone?

Sheldon
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #365 of 468
The people who want "view all running apps" to be a gesture are missing one very simple thing, a lot of third party apps have gestures.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #366 of 468
I am curious to see how Apple tackles this multitasking issue.
As the iPhone runs now, I like it because of the security it provides. Take that away and I'm a little more worried about the lack of security. I wonder if there will be a way to turn off the multitasking feature.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
post #367 of 468
Theres multi-tasking and there's multi-tasking.

Ask a member of the public what multi-tasking is, and they mean the ability to deal with multiple activities at once. Anwering the phone while filling the dishwasher.

Ask a computer scientist about multi-tasking and they will describe a method where the single CPU timeshares between multiple computer programs. This avoids waste by making sure the CPU is always doing something productive. In terms of a phone, the foreground app would be running while some other apps are sharing the CPU- executing in the background.

I am inclined to think Apple is going to offer the first kind of multi-tasking. And not so much the second.

C.
post #368 of 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

I am curious to see how Apple tackles this multitasking issue.
As the iPhone runs now, I like it because of the security it provides. Take that away and I'm a little more worried about the lack of security. I wonder if there will be a way to turn off the multitasking feature.

That's pretty silly. The only way to ensure full security is to turn the phone off completely.

You can get a reasonable amount of security without resorting to extraordinary measures.

Do you worry about security on your desktop, due to the reason that it can multitask?
post #369 of 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Ask a member of the public what multi-tasking is, and they mean the ability to deal with multiple activities at once. Anwering the phone while filling the dishwasher.

Ask a computer scientist about multi-tasking and they will describe a method where the single CPU timeshares between multiple computer programs. This avoids waste by making sure the CPU is always doing something productive. In terms of a phone, the foreground app would be running while some other apps are sharing the CPU- executing in the background.

I am inclined to think Apple is going to offer the first kind of multi-tasking. And not so much the second.

C.

Are you telling me it's going to do my dishes?
post #370 of 468
Hey did you see how iPhone sales doubled year on year, 98% higher than the same quarter last year.

Pretty impressive, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

That's pretty silly. The only way to ensure full security is to turn the phone off completely.

You can get a reasonable amount of security without resorting to extraordinary measures.

Do you worry about security on your desktop, due to the reason that it can multitask?
post #371 of 468
Multi-tasking is when someone can listen to Pandora, with an active IM while playing a game. And until Apple adds the ability to do this they haven'd added multi-tasking.

Just ask Prince what multi-tasking is and why the iPhone doesn't have it and he'll either give you a lame 10,000 word answer or tell you the iPhone does have multi-tasking.

I happen to like notifications, but the damn developers--like Loren of Tweetie won't add them.
post #372 of 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzExige;1588714
So the [B

iPhone IS the best platform[/B]? - In Your Humble Opinion

However I do agree with you on another point, there is little wrong with the Pre,
Palm have a good platform,
they just don't happen to have our mate Steve at the helm - do YOU agree?

Naw. despite having lots of software, there are significant disadvantages. As of now, I have an iPhone, given that I'm locked in to ATT. Of their offerings, the iPhone is best for me.

But I'm waiting to see what is offered by ATT in the coming months. So far, they've introduced the Moto Backflip, which does not interest me.

The Dell Mini5 looks interesting, but I'm not sure if it will fit the bill.

I'm hoping that they start selling the Nexus One clone with multitouch - I forget the name.

And the raw number of software titles is less important than the avialability of software that is specifically what the user prefers.

I don't know if Steve is in charge of PR and marketing. But Apple excels in both those areas.
post #373 of 468
So would you mind linking to an established dictionary definition of multitasking which verifies the one you just made up?

Somehow I don't think Pandora has anything whatsoever to do with the accepted definition of multitasking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Multi-tasking is when someone can listen to Pandora, with an active IM while playing a game. And until Apple adds the ability to do this they haven'd added multi-tasking.

Just ask Prince what multi-tasking is and why the iPhone doesn't have it and he'll either give you a lame 10,000 word answer or tell you the iPhone does have multi-tasking.

I happen to like notifications, but the damn developers--like Loren of Tweetie won't add them.
post #374 of 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So would you mind linking to an established dictionary definition of multitasking which verifies the one you just made up?

Somehow I don't think Pandora has anything whatsoever to do with the accepted definition of multitasking.

Really? This seems a little persnickety. He was explaining a result of multitasking, not a computer science or dictionary definition. Having preemptive or cooperative multitasking doesn't mean much if the app you want to use isn't allowed to take advantage of it.
post #375 of 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The people who want "view all running apps" to be a gesture are missing one very simple thing, a lot of third party apps have gestures.

I don't understand why I would want to see all running apps? What is the purpose? The technical problem of managing apps and their multi-tasking should be completely behind the scenes and not even known to the user.
post #376 of 468
Quote:

Naw. despite having lots of software, there are significant disadvantages. As of now, I have an iPhone, given that I'm locked in to ATT. Of their offerings, the iPhone is best for me.

But I'm waiting to see what is offered by ATT in the coming months. So far, they've introduced the Moto Backflip, which does not interest me.

The Dell Mini5 looks interesting, but I'm not sure if it will fit the bill.

I'm hoping that they start selling the Nexus One clone with multitouch - I forget the name.

And the raw number of software titles is less important than the avialability of software that is specifically what the user prefers.

I don't know if Steve is in charge of PR and marketing. But Apple excels in both those areas.

dell mini 5 - love the idea, wanted one till i saw rumours about price, then rumours about them F****** with Android. plus its Dell and lately i haven't been happy with the lack of quality, pricing and crappy designs.

Nexus one clone - i have had my nexus one for 2 days now. switched from att to tmobile. you are in for a rude awakening if you think it will best the iphone. battery life is not good i am going to have to see what i can do to shave some power hogs off of it. tmobile 3g has been awful. now maybe its due to SXSW going on which is also kicking att butt too with all these people gathered together with gadgets. i PRAY this is why my tmobile 3g is so spotty...
voice apps on nexus one - laughable so far...i get about 1 in 3 to actually be close to what i say or else the app fails completely.
don't get me wrong, i like some aspects of this phone but i also like and use kubuntu. most people wouldn't like using kubuntu.
basically i have found out that the grass is not greener....
if you want to wrestle with your device then ditch apple and go android.
post #377 of 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I always say "making something simple is not simple at all"

To paraphrase somebody much wiser than me, things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler than that.

My take is that too often, Apple simply deletes functionality in an attempt to make things simple enough for their target consumer.
post #378 of 468
Quote:

Hey did you see how iPhone sales doubled year on year, 98% higher than the same quarter last year.

Pretty impressive, huh?

Very impressive. Amazing even. Likely their decision to sell im more countries was a large contributing factor.

Did you notice that Android penetration was up almost 800% in the same time period?
post #379 of 468
Quote:

Like the guy yesterday, you seem to be mistaking an example for a definition.
post #380 of 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I don't understand why I would want to see all running apps? What is the purpose? The technical problem of managing apps and their multi-tasking should be completely behind the scenes and not even known to the user.

The reason is similar to why you have stuff like a temperature gauge on your car's dashboard. Generally, more information is more useful than less information.

Seeing which apps are running will help you to decide what to do in certain situations.
post #381 of 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

dell mini 5 - love the idea, wanted one till i saw rumours about price, then rumours about them F****** with Android. plus its Dell and lately i haven't been happy with the lack of quality, pricing and crappy designs.

Nexus one clone - i have had my nexus one for 2 days now. switched from att to tmobile. you are in for a rude awakening if you think it will best the iphone. battery life is not good i am going to have to see what i can do to shave some power hogs off of it. tmobile 3g has been awful. now maybe its due to SXSW going on which is also kicking att butt too with all these people gathered together with gadgets. i PRAY this is why my tmobile 3g is so spotty...
voice apps on nexus one - laughable so far...i get about 1 in 3 to actually be close to what i say or else the app fails completely.
don't get me wrong, i like some aspects of this phone but i also like and use kubuntu. most people wouldn't like using kubuntu.
basically i have found out that the grass is not greener....
if you want to wrestle with your device then ditch apple and go android.

Good to know. Thanks.
post #382 of 468
So what's the big deal? My Windows Phone (6.5) already does that. The .NET apps I write can run while I am talking on the phone, running the FaceBook app, running Google Maps, browsing the web, etc.

The iPhone is a great device and has certainly motivated other phone OS makers to make better products. But just now getting multitasking support? My friends with iPhones love them, but are a bit envious that I can run Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, SQL Server, and so easily write apps for my phone.
post #383 of 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSBassSinger View Post

So what's the big deal? My Windows Phone (6.5) already does that. The .NET apps I write can run while I am talking on the phone, running the FaceBook app, running Google Maps, browsing the web, etc.

The iPhone is a great device and has certainly motivated other phone OS makers to make better products. But just now getting multitasking support? My friends with iPhones love them, but are a bit envious that I can run Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, SQL Server, and so easily write apps for my phone.

The Enquirer's headline is something like "Apple Finally Adds Basic Functionality to iPhone".
post #384 of 468
Quote:

The reason is similar to why you have stuff like a temperature gauge on your car's dashboard. Generally, more information is more useful than less information.

Seeing which apps are running will help you to decide what to do in certain situations.

Ah, no thanks. I'd rather just use my apps. I don't want to have to decide which apps to "kill". That's a technical problem and should be handled by either the OS or the developers. I'll admit that I'm not a big multi-tasker with my phone. I use it for something, then go on to something else, but whether an app closes or suspends or whatever, when I hit the Home button, doesn't matter much to me and I don't want to have to suddenly be managing the memory or CPU utilization on my phone.
post #385 of 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Ah, no thanks. I'd rather just use my apps. I don't want to have to decide which apps to "kill". That's a technical problem and should be handled by either the OS or the developers. I'll admit that I'm not a big multi-tasker with my phone. I use it for something, then go on to something else, but whether an app closes or suspends or whatever, when I hit the Home button, doesn't matter much to me and I don't want to have to suddenly be managing the memory or CPU utilization on my phone.

That makes sense. What would be optimal would be to allow sophisticated users to have increased funtionality, while the rest can simply ignore it with relative impunity.

Kind of like automatic transmissions that can be used like manual transmissions, if, as and when it is advantageous.

Those who know what they are doing are able to get better performance, and the rest can ignore it, and use overdrive when pulling a trailer.

This fits in well with "make things as simple as possible, but no simpler".

But lopping off functionality as a technique to make a device easier to use is not something I like.
post #386 of 468
Quote:

But lopping off functionality as a technique to make a device easier to use is not something I like.

What functionality has been lopped off? Are you looking for an app to be created that lets you monitor all that kind of stuff on a phone? Like Activity Monitor on the Mac?
post #387 of 468
Quote:

What the heck is taking them so long? In the meantime, Android is surging in popularity and the iOS is stagnating.

Apparently you have no clue about how difficult it is to produce a good multitasking environment that is secure. The first time your phone would lock up during a phone call due to a priority inversion, you would be screaming "what a POS"....
Maybe you should write your own MTOS and offer to sell it to them?

Win CE for phones IS pretty bad, even though they 'took their time' before releasing it.
Android is a shell, and is beginning to exhibit cracks....

Provide me something that works reliably, and does what it is suppose to well, and I won't complain. I am not that bored that I need to be watching/playing/doodling/surfing/ 5 things at once on a screen 2.5"x3"....

Its a game of leapfrog....sometimes you gotta plan your next jump very carefully and make sure you execute it well.
post #388 of 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

THAT IS NOT THE WAY TO MAKE A CONSUMER FRIENDLY DEVICE.

So last night when I got home around 6ish I had 50% battery left and normally it's around 60%-70%. This is with those 10 apps running in the background, each doing a separate task at the same time.

So 20% is actually a bit more than a minor impact, but definitely not a major one.
post #389 of 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel- View Post

Considering you seem to come here to do nothing but bitch and complain, I'd say you should get whatever shuts you up.

Well said! (but I don't think he would ever find something - he reminds me of the ignorant ppl who say, we can just dust off apollo and go to Mars that way.....sheeshe....I really dislike idiots...)
post #390 of 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

So last night when I got home around 6ish I had 50% battery left and normally it's around 60%-70%. This is with those 10 apps running in the background, each doing a separate task at the same time.

So 20% is actually a bit more than a minor impact, but definitely not a major one.

So you used an additional 10-20% with just 10 apps. I stated I use at least 20, but when i look at my pages I probably used more like 35 or 40 apps yesterday, some are ones I read about and installed to try once. Having these still running in the background makes no sense and it would make the issue considerably worse.

I've had a jailbroken and unlocked iPhone since it was possible. I've used Backgrounder. I know what the pros and cons are, and I don't think an unregulated, uncontrolled multitasking free-for-all Ã* la Android is an intelligent method, nor one that should ever be on an iDevice. There are better ways to do it.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #391 of 468
Quote:

Nasty personal attacks will be reported. I come here because this forum presents very interesting ideas.

Hmmm too bad you don't.....
post #392 of 468
Quote:

Nasty personal attacks will be reported. I come here because this forum presents very interesting ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belunos View Post

I'm really more worried about battery life than anything. Don't get me wrong, multitasking will be nice (my biggest want is better handling of gmail), but I already can't get a full day on one charge.

Precisely....My first thought when I read the article. My iphone barely makes it through the day with an average total talk time of about 90 mins, coupled with checking email couple times a day.

All those tasks 'running in the background' are really going to eat into battery life. In other OSs, the amount is 10-25%, depending on what is running.

Add to that the heat generated, plus periodic use of the radio/bt, and it will be noticable if they arn't smart about 'settng the defaults' to minimize this.....
post #393 of 468
Quote:

Very impressive. Amazing even. Likely their decision to sell im more countries was a large contributing factor.

Did you notice that Android penetration was up almost 800% in the same time period?

that android is down from apple selling at multiple phones on multiple carriers in the u.s. and they are -500% from apple..

see manipulating numbers is fun..
post #394 of 468
who cares about multitasking? 90% of iPhone users do not need to run multiple apps at once. They're very happy how the iPhone works. This whole Multitasking shit is a non-existing problem bothering only 10% iPhone users who think it's their replacement for their Mac. Well, it is not meant to be a replacement for your personal computer!
post #395 of 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTebroc View Post

who cares about multitasking? 90% of iPhone users do not need to run multiple apps at once. They're very happy how the iPhone works. This whole Multitasking shit is a non-existing problem bothering only 10% iPhone users who think it's their replacement for their Mac. Well, it is not meant to be a replacement for your personal computer!

Actually, at the rate personal devices are growing in power, I wouldn't be surprised if one day they do replace the laptop. I think one user here put out the idea that you would just dock the smartphone like you do laptops these days. The feed goes straight into a bigger monitor and keyboard/mouse for faster input at the desk.

We're used to it at the desktop OS level, so to make this future happen, then multitasking will need to be implemented on whatever OS the device is running. But you are in a way correct, as multitasking currently is a debatable feature. In a way, it's subjective, as everyone uses their phone in a different way.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
post #396 of 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

C.

You apparently don't know it, but number two is exactly what happens now. The iPhone OS, just like its big brother, is a fully pre-emptive multitasking multithreaded OS. Haven't you ever bothered to read anything about ti?

Apple deliberately prevents most apps in the app store from doing this. The OS is quite capable of it, and is doing it all the time. That means that it's number one that Apple doesn't yet allow—EXCEPT for bundled applications.
post #397 of 468
Quote:

Security on all desktop OSes is poor. Look at all of MS's problems over the years because they've ignored security for the first decade and a half. Some of MS's "features" i.e. lockins to keep you within the Windows OS, that cause security breaks that can't be solved.

Apple has it's share of problems as well, but not nearly as many.

Some phone OSes are considered to be very security free, such as Win Mobile and the old Palm OS. Android is also in that category, with the new Palm WebOS being not far behind. RIM's is the best.
post #398 of 468
Quote:

Starting from almost nothing, they went up 800%.. That's from the very beginning. You might as well say that iPhone sales are up 10,000% if you use the same definition.
post #399 of 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSBassSinger View Post

And WinMobile has been SO successful doing that, that it's now officially been renamed Win Mobile Classic in preparation to its never again being updated after the new Win Phone 7 Series comes out, which is a much simpler OS which will not allow much of what Win Mobile does.

Even MS has finally understood that people don't want that kind of mess.
post #400 of 468
iGenius has been given a well needed break for the obsequious nature of his/her/its posts. Said break will be extended if the behaviour continues.

Many thanks,

Graham
Modding for Great Justice
Modding for Great Justice
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 4.0 software to deliver multitasking support