or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sees 98% iPhone growth as Microsoft, Google prepare for battle
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple sees 98% iPhone growth as Microsoft, Google prepare for battle

post #1 of 88
Thread Starter 
Worldwide smartphone shipments stormed back last quarter with 37.2 percent in growth, and Apple's iPhone led the way with a 97.9 percent year-over-year surge in shipments. But the real coming battle in the mobile market, according to one analyst, lies between Microsoft and Google.

Analyst Charlie Wolf with Needham & Company provided a breakdown of the expanding smartphone market, which in the holiday quarter rebounded from just 5.6 percent growth over the previous four quarters. While Apple saw the greatest success, Nokia's shipments also jumped 37.3 percent and Research in Motion saw a spike of 41.2 percent.

While the recession has softened and the smartphone market is recovering, Wolf is now looking to the future and the fiercely competitive handset business.

"Events since the beginning of 2010 have turned the market into a land grab not dissimilar to the California gold rush in the 1800s," Wolf wrote. "Everyone is chasing the iPhone which has taken on an aura that far exceeds the phone's market share. The aura stems from the disruptive design and functionality of the first iPhone, and it has been reinforced by the remarkable success of the iPhone App Store."

The analyst said he believes the smartphone market has turned into a "land grab" that is "virtually certain" to lead to a brutal battle between Microsoft and Google. He said Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 Series won't kill the iPhone, which exists in a class by itself, but it will be a potential "Android killer." Windows Phone 7 Series, Wolf said, is evidence that Microsoft "finally gets it."



"Microsoft has delivered on the necessary condition for success -- a smartphone operating system that should enable it to play in the same sandbox with Apple, Google and BlackBerry," he wrote. "We've frequently criticized Microsoft's inept efforts in delivering a user-friendly smartphone operating system. Such criticisms are now in the past."

The real coming smartphone battle, he said, lies between Google's Android mobile operating system and Windows Phone 7. Android has a few advantages, in that it licensees do not have to pay any fees, and it allows manufacturers to differentiate their phones from other Android devices with custom interfaces. But Android also has no presence on the enterprise market, where Microsoft and its entrenched position with Windows will play to the Redmond, Wash., company's advantage.

"A major battle between Microsoft and Google to win the hearts and minds of the smartphone vendors who are building devices for both platforms appears inevitable."



Microsoft is also expected to extend its new Windows Phone 7 mobile operating system to non-phone devices such as the rumored Zune HD2 portable media player. The first phones running Windows Phone 7 Series are expected to arrive by this holiday.

Wolf also spoke of the success BlackBerry has found "out of the limelight," and the struggles faced by Palm despite the company's "superior platform."

"We have little confidence in a material acceleration in Pre sales because Palm simply does not have the financial resources to market its devices at a level comparable to its competitors," he wrote. "But miracles do occur occasionally."
post #2 of 88
Is there...more article? It just ends mid-sentence.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #3 of 88
All they did was copy the iPhone for the most part.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
post #4 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

All they did was copy the iPhone for the most part.

Show me where WP7 is a copy of the iPhone. From all the videos I've seen, the WP7 OS looks and operates completely differently than the iPhone OS.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #5 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Show me where WP7 is a copy of the iPhone. From all the videos I've seen, the WP7 OS looks and operates completely differently than the iPhone OS.

They may have copied the idea, but then they modified the idea of the home screen and made it into a mess of icons within an icon. What's the point of that? It's information overload. I predict Windows Mobile 7 will fall like a lead balloon, despite what these "analysts" say. Just because they're Windows enthusiasts doesn't mean that the rest of us that aren't paid to say good stuff about Microsoft will suddenly decide that Windows Mobile 7 is better than iPhone or even Android.

On a side note, let's face it... Palm is being a bit childish here. They do NOT have a superior platform compared to the iPhone. They designed their phone not around general use, but rather social networking. And to be honest, I think I'd prefer general use than specifically tailored interfaces to social networking and media. Having notifications of up to the minute info is great and all, but it's not necessary. And it just clutters up my life. I might just want a simple phone that's easy to use and powerful, not one that constantly says a friend did this on Facebook or Twitter. And it's not like Palm had a PR disaster with the iTunes sync thing... and then there's their lousy commercials. Whoever hired these clowns for those terrible commercials? They look (and sound) slightly worse than Blackberry commercials, because I can only assume they intended to copy the Blackberry commercials.
post #6 of 88
stagnant sales? Where's igenius?
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
post #7 of 88
"Microsoft has delivered on the necessary condition for success -- a smartphone operating system that should enable it to play in the same sandbox with Apple, Google and BlackBerry,"

No they haven't and they won't until the fall at least.
post #8 of 88
All this growth without doing a buy one get one or two free. Unlike the competitors. Those guys are really pushing that buy one POS get one free POS like crazy.
post #9 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtchdtomak View Post

"Microsoft has delivered on the necessary condition for success -- a smartphone operating system that should enable it to play in the same sandbox with Apple, Google and BlackBerry,"

No they haven't and they won't until the fall at least.

good point. another 9 months behind. it's strategy of course.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
post #10 of 88
98% growth! GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY.

Very impressive.
post #11 of 88
I'm always amazed at the credit Microsoft gets. We're still at the start of the year and WM7 debuts near the end, an age in the smartphone world and almost 4 years after the iPhone debut. And it could still be delayed even further.

What evidence is there that this will be in the same league as the fast maturing Android nevermind iPhone 4.0? All we've seen so far is some computer generated demos, not even a proper working prototype if I'm not mistaken (same with Courier, real artists ship and all that...).
post #12 of 88
Apple is doomed!
post #13 of 88
iPhone built on OSX
Android built on Linux.

What is Windows Mobile 7 based on and how does it compare to the 2 above regarding efficiency, speed, reliability, ease of app development and future OS development technologies?

Thanks,
John
post #14 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmuk View Post

...and how does it compare to the...

It doesn't.
post #15 of 88
One word: ecosystem
post #16 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple is doomed!

I was about to say that. Now wait for this thread to make a 180 degrees turn and talk about the lack of multitasking
post #17 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

stagnant sales? Where's igenius?

Post this twice more, while looking in a mirror, and he will come.
post #18 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmuk View Post

iPhone built on OSX
Android built on Linux.

What is Windows Mobile 7 based on and how does it compare to the 2 above regarding efficiency, speed, reliability, ease of app development and future OS development technologies?

Thanks,
John

From what I've seen, it resembles the Zune HD OS, with a smattering of Facebook-colored widget things tacked on.
post #19 of 88
Microsoft isn't preparing for anything. The "Windows Phone 7 Series" announcement has practically halted all Windows Mobile 6.x sales except for corporations with IT departments (like mine) that mandate the so called Microsoft smart phones.

Which is hilarious now that the new Windows 7 phones will have all this baked in Facebook integration that corporate cell phone policies tend to frown on.



And RIM just needs to figure out how to deploy a browser that doesn't suck on it's Blackberry phones...

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #20 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

They may have copied the idea, but then they modified the idea of the home screen and made it into a mess of icons within an icon. What's the point of that? It's information overload. I predict Windows Mobile 7 will fall like a lead balloon, despite what these "analysts" say. Just because they're Windows enthusiasts doesn't mean that the rest of us that aren't paid to say good stuff about Microsoft will suddenly decide that Windows Mobile 7 is better than iPhone or even Android.

I think we are on two levels regarding the "information overload". I don't think it's displaying too much information at all. Instead of a sea of icons that don't really do anything, the Home screen is pretty much widgets.

I like the whole "scrolling ribbon" idea behind each of the nodes for WP7. The whole ribbon is information being updated and your screen is essentially a slider going across it to see easily sectioned chunks. It's essentially a fluid way of organizing all the icons into folders, something I've read iPhone users wishing to be able to do without jailbreaking. You have to agree that it's an innovative way at looking to present the mass of information out there.

Why do you have a problem with analysts saying something good about a product? Especially if it's one that's not an Apple product. If he was talking good things about the latest iPhone to be released this year, would you claim he's being paid-off to say good things about Apple? Seems to me that you're holding onto the past days of WinMo...
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #21 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Microsoft isn't preparing for anything. The "Windows Phone 7 Series" announcement has practically halted all Windows Mobile 6.x sales except for corporations with IT departments (like mine) that mandate the so called Microsoft smart phones.

Which is hilarious now that the new Windows 7 phones will have all this baked in Facebook integration that corporate cell phone policies tend to frown on.



And RIM just needs to figure out how to deploy a browser that doesn't suck on it's Blackberry phones...

The other funny thing is those on Windows Mobile 6.5 cannot upgrade to Windows Phone 7 Because we have very specific requirements for Windows Phone 7 Series the current phones we have right now will not be upgradable.... aka Bing button!!
post #22 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmuk View Post

I'm always amazed at the credit Microsoft gets.

Well, you know. It's kind of like when a special-needs kid manages to tie his shoes for the first time. It might not seem like much to you and me, but to him, with all his disadvantages, it's a real accomplishment.

After so many years of doing such appallingly bad work, Microsoft has carved out a reputation as being the special-needs kid of the industry. People's expectations are so low, anything that's not an obvious flail looks like a triumphant success by comparison.

"Way to go, Microsoft. You tried harder than any of the other kids out there."
post #23 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

The other funny thing is those on Windows Mobile 6.5 cannot upgrade to Windows Phone 7 Because we have very specific requirements for Windows Phone 7 Series the current phones we have right now will not be upgradable.... aka Bing button!!

So now that MS has cut WinMo (which everyone here had been making fun of) and started fresh and adopted a more Apple-esque model of hardware/software integration, you're making fun of them for doing that?
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #24 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

All they did was copy the iPhone for the most part.

i agree partially...android did, winmo7 maybe not so much

they should put even more money into copying the iphone faster to catch up with apple, before apple gains more market share
post #25 of 88
I would have to agree. Microsoft and BB are getting a run for their money. What I hate is that the iPhone doesn't support multiple exchagne accounts and tasks. I rely on these two features. Hopefully they will listen to all of our gripes.

I'm not sure how many of you had issues getting the iphone to setup properly with exchange, but I did. Spent many weeks with my tech guy ---(and many sleepless nights!!). He kept on wanting me to upgrade my server to 2008. Yet, we just purchased this system. Finally came across these flat rate iphone exchange guys. Boy, worth every penny. I think from start to payment it was only about 20 minutes. Check them out. By the way we tried the godaddy cert. not much help either.
post #26 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmuk View Post

I'm always amazed at the credit Microsoft gets. We're still at the start of the year and WM7 debuts near the end, an age in the smartphone world and almost 4 years after the iPhone debut. And it could still be delayed even further.

Microsoft always gets credit just for trying, and often gets credit for saying they will be trying at some time possibly in the near or not so distant future.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #27 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

So now that MS has cut WinMo (which everyone here had been making fun of) and started fresh and adopted a more Apple-esque model of hardware/software integration, you're making fun of them for doing that?

No, it's funny that the HW criteria for Windows Phone 7 is that it must have specific number of buttons (three buttons including one for Bing) and not better processor or more memory
post #28 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmuk View Post

I'm always amazed at the credit Microsoft gets. We're still at the start of the year and WM7 debuts near the end, an age in the smartphone world and almost 4 years after the iPhone debut. And it could still be delayed even further.

What evidence is there that this will be in the same league as the fast maturing Android nevermind iPhone 4.0? All we've seen so far is some computer generated demos, not even a proper working prototype if I'm not mistaken (same with Courier, real artists ship and all that...).

It's because MS has incredible sway over corporate IT. You just can't ignore or underestimate that. IT *loves* MS. All MS has to do is create a phone that won't cause users to revolt, and they'll sell a ton of them to corporations. My company's IT group had to be dragged kicking and screaming by the president of the company and several VPs to accept employees using their personal iPhones for work e-mail, and that was only because those top guys flat out refused to use a WinMo Phone. But if the WinMo phones weren't such disasters -- if they were halfway credible -- then the IT guys probably would have won the argument.

The company that gets way too much credit is Google. Their Android "strategy" is so typically googlish in nature -- totally naive and lacking in serious commitment. Google just isn't up to the hard work of making a platform work. Apple and MS are.

So the first battle will be MS beating Google for the right to challenge Apple as the leader in the smartphone market.
post #29 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

It's because MS has incredible sway over corporate IT. You just can't ignore or underestimate that. IT *loves* MS.

The obvious question is, why does corporate IT still love Microsoft? The obvious answer of a few years ago at least was that their lousy buggy products created full employment for IT professionals. The other was most IT people were MCPs who really didn't know anything else. Is that still true?
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #30 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

stagnant sales? Where's igenius?

LMAO Spot on.

Wow, 98% growth and all without multitasking either.
post #31 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The obvious question is, why does corporate IT still love Microsoft? The obvious answer of a few years ago at least was that their lousy buggy products created full employment for IT professionals. The other was most IT people were MCPs who really didn't know anything else. Is that still true?

Pretty much. If you do too good a job and commission bulletproof systems your going to put yourself out of a job

Thats why I have started to put some customers onto windows 7 systems now. Been pretty busy so far this year
post #32 of 88
It seems Apple just continue to fail due to the lack of flash!
post #33 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

It seems Apple just continue to fail due to the lack of flash!

lol... I know right. Just look at Palm - leading the way!
post #34 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

On a side note, let's face it... Palm is being a bit childish here. They do NOT have a superior platform compared to the iPhone. They designed their phone not around general use, but rather social networking. And to be honest, I think I'd prefer general use than specifically tailored interfaces to social networking and media. Having notifications of up to the minute info is great and all, but it's not necessary. And it just clutters up my life. I might just want a simple phone that's easy to use and powerful, not one that constantly says a friend did this on Facebook or Twitter. And it's not like Palm had a PR disaster with the iTunes sync thing... and then there's their lousy commercials. Whoever hired these clowns for those terrible commercials? They look (and sound) slightly worse than Blackberry commercials, because I can only assume they intended to copy the Blackberry commercials.

OMG..... So it was the analyst who said Palm had the superior platform, not Palm. So how is Palm being childish?

You clearly have never use a Pre or Pre Plus. The platform is built around multitasking, not social media. Where do you get that? There are no Facebook or Twitter notifications popping up unless you ad an app and turn that feature on. You must be confused with "Moto Blur" on Android or something.

True their commercials have stunk so I guess you must have seen those - just not a phone. There are things I like about both the iPhone and WebOS and each has some advantages over the other. Clearly the ease of multitasking and notifications is driving Apple to "innovate" on the iPhone. See the story about that today.

It isn't Windows or Android multitasking pushing Apple. It is WebOS.

Palm needs some better hardware big time to compete.
post #35 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Wow, 98% growth and all without multitasking either.

What is 98% growth in comparison with 150% growth, huh?

During last 3 months the market share of Android increased by 150%, from 2.8% to 7.1%
http://www.comscore.com/Press_Events...r_Market_Share
American centrism dominates 50% of the population here. That half don't think outside the box ... or perhaps just don't think. © digitalclips
Reply
American centrism dominates 50% of the population here. That half don't think outside the box ... or perhaps just don't think. © digitalclips
Reply
post #36 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by gin_tonic View Post

What is 98% growth in comparison with 150% growth, huh?

During last 3 months the market share of Android increased by 150%, from 2.8% to 7.1%
http://www.comscore.com/Press_Events...r_Market_Share

That's US only

Android worldwide market share went from 0.5% in 2008 to 3.9% in 2009. I will repeat to you what few here have been saying when the iPhone experienced such fast growth in first year "it is not much growth if you started from zero"
post #37 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The obvious question is, why does corporate IT still love Microsoft? The obvious answer of a few years ago at least was that their lousy buggy products created full employment for IT professionals. The other was most IT people were MCPs who really didn't know anything else. Is that still true?

I think IT loves MS because IT is MS's primary customer, and so MS treats IT much better than they treat you and me. Seems to me that it breaks down like this -- Google's primary customer is advertisers (with Google, you and I are not the customer -- we're the product). Microsoft has two main clients: OEMs and corporate IT. Apple has one client: consumers (aka, "end-users").

So you see, MS only needs to make a product that is just good enough for consumers to be willing to accept it for free (because their company provides it to them). Google has to make a product just barely good enough for consumers to accept it for free (because advertisers pay for it). Only Apple has to make a product good enough that people would actually buy it with their own money.

So if WinMo7 is good enough that end-users will tolerate it if they don't have to pay for it, then MS has crossed the bar with end-users. At that point, all they have to do is convince IT to spring for it, and that won't take much.

Google's problem is that phones aren't free. Either the consumer or an employer is going to have to pay for it. But Google isn't really targeting either one -- Google is focused on advertisers. I think that means that ultimately neither corporate IT nor consumers will be happy with Google phones.
post #38 of 88
I'm sure MS has thought of the future for enterprise for WP7S, if anything it will most likely be one of it's strongest points.

Hopefully the Palm Elan is real, and it comes out REAL soon
post #39 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The obvious question is, why does corporate IT still love Microsoft?


Simple, because nobody else loves the corporate market, their needs are too variable.

Phil Schiller said that the consumer market for computers is over 50%.

Apple makes a limited set of highly profitable devices with not a whole lot of profit destroying configurations like those who cater to the corporate market have to do.

Apple will take corporate orders of course, but they don't go out of their way to cater to their needs, it's just extra gravy.


So why bother with the less than 50% of the market that wants the cheapest machines possible and needs configurations without optical drives, or hard drives, or RAM, or the OS, or even keyboards because they got a deal elsewhere and use their cheap labor already at their disposal to put the machines together in house? Also they need a IT staff anyway, because the employees by and large are not computer savvy users. So this gives them something to do in addition to training.

Two different markets, two different needs for computers. One open and the other closed.


In small businesses that the employees are computer savvy enough along with their present jobs can Mac's work exceptionally well without a IT staff it has been my experience.
post #40 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

That's US only

It's also comparing year-over-year figures to the three-month period that includes two flagship product releases and a massive marketing blitz.

But let's break it down by numbers. Apple has sold something on the order of 20 million iPhones, give or take. That data for January 2010 says that about 10 million of those are in the US. So let's estimate that half of Apple's iPhone sales are in the US.

According to that data, a total of about 1.8 million Android-platform phones were sold in the US during the period in question. Impressive growth, to be sure. But Apple sold 8.7 million iPhones over the same period, and we can guesstimate that half of those were in the US.

So total sales of 1.8 million phones during the platform's biggest launch period to date … versus 4.3 million phones sold during what should be a relatively slack period leading up to an anticipated new-product rollout.

The Android platform's growth is impressive, but when you look at it in context it really doesn't say anything definitive either way.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sees 98% iPhone growth as Microsoft, Google prepare for battle