or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Barnes & Noble announces intent to release iPad e-reader app
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Barnes & Noble announces intent to release iPad e-reader app - Page 2

post #41 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Wow, I always assumed it would come with the iPad (not that it's such a bid deal to download it from the app store) and never bothered to check. It features so prominently as one of it's core features, you'd think it would ship with the iPad.

Yeah, I was kind of surprised by it not being included too, especially how much of an emphasis is being made of it. But I'm also wondering about the iBookstore too. It sounds like it is integrated in the iBooks app. Does that mean there won't be a Book Store in iTunes, like there is an App Store?
post #42 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Wow, I always assumed it would come with the iPad (not that it's such a bid deal to download it from the app store) and never bothered to check. It features so prominently as one of it's core features, you'd think it would ship with the iPad.

My guess is that it's not shipped with the ipad because it's an USA feature
post #43 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Although unlikely... it would be interesting if the iBookStore allowed authors to sell direct.

A good publisher provides a lot of services that your average author isn't interested in providing themselves. Dan Brown, for example, has said he has no interest in being in the publishing business. Lesser selling authors that could save a few bucks marketing their own books don't sell enough for that to do them much good.

As a corollary, TuneCore lets almost anyone publish their own music to the iTunes music store for a small fee, but the vast majority of songs in the iTMS have zero sales. <shrug>

It's the same problem on both platforms: If nobody knows what to look for or where to find it, how are they going to buy it?

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #44 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Yeah, I was kind of surprised by it not being included too, especially how much of an emphasis is being made of it. But I'm also wondering about the iBookstore too. It sounds like it is integrated in the iBooks app. Does that mean there won't be a Book Store in iTunes, like there is an App Store?

Yeah, based on this information, it sounds like there won't be an iBookStore in iTunes. But iTunes will still back up you're iPad (presumably). Kinda weird.
post #45 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

My guess is that it's not shipped with the ipad because it's an USA feature

And the eventual UK version will be downloaded from the UK iTunes store that conforms to UK licensing and reseller laws... Just like with video and music downloads.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #46 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Official AppStore Application Submission

Name: Barnes & Noble Ebook Reader
Developer: Barnes & Noble
In-App-Purchasing: YES

***** REJECTED *****


Have a nice day!

AppStore Approval Manager

Heh.
Nice! This is much better than the typical "Just change your bookstore, not a big deal" meme that is so common now.
Good work!

Save your friends from Skynet - whoops, Google.  Recommend they use StartPage for search..

...and no, I am not paid to say this..

Reply

Save your friends from Skynet - whoops, Google.  Recommend they use StartPage for search..

...and no, I am not paid to say this..

Reply
post #47 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Negatively?!?! Me?!?!

I was simply going by track record.

I don't believe Apple has ever allowed an App to be approved that in turn allowed the user to perform IN APP PURCHASES songs from any of the major iTunes competitors same for TV Shows and Movies. Somehow I think Apple has that all locked up... however since the SDK now provided developers a method of implementing in APP purchases maybe this has/will change... Somehow I still wouldn't see B&N or Amazon or any other mass marketer of digital media content participating in the system (unless they pass along (tack on) the 'apple cut' to the final selling price call it an Apple Tax if you will.

I could be wrong about this since it's not exactly something I follow that closely but I'm betting I'm not. But if Apple was to approve a B&N app that allowed the person to do in app purchasing via the B&N store instead of the iTunes Book Store I'd be very surprised.

I agree totally, can we buy music or videos, from another source? Yes, but it has to be loaded from your own computer. Can you buy music from Amazon, or others and load it directly to the IPhone or IPod Touch? Of course not, it would cut into profits. Any apps around that let you do that. No.
post #48 of 108
Interesting that both Amazon and B&N have made an attempt to stay relevant by releasing apps for the App Store, but it does seem to indicate that they are unable to fight the iPad/iPhone/iPod touch juggernaut. You don't see Apple releasing apps for Blackberry or the Android Market to pick up a few pennies here and there, do you?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #49 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

And why there will be a lot of Kindles/Nooks for $100 or less?

Peoples will sell like crazies to buy an iPad?

To a certain extent. I think that 27% or so said they would. Something like that.

I would have bought a Kindle if it was $100 when it came out. Otherwise, it's not worth it to me, as I have no problem reading books on my iPhone.

But I will be getting an iPad.
post #50 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Negatively?!?! Me?!?!

I was simply going by track record.

I don't believe Apple has ever allowed an App to be approved that in turn allowed the user to perform IN APP PURCHASES songs from any of the major iTunes competitors same for TV Shows and Movies. Somehow I think Apple has that all locked up... however since the SDK now provided developers a method of implementing in APP purchases maybe this has/will change... Somehow I still wouldn't see B&N or Amazon or any other mass marketer of digital media content participating in the system (unless they pass along (tack on) the 'apple cut' to the final selling price call it an Apple Tax if you will.

I could be wrong about this since it's not exactly something I follow that closely but I'm betting I'm not. But if Apple was to approve a B&N app that allowed the person to do in app purchasing via the B&N store instead of the iTunes Book Store I'd be very surprised.

Why are you talking about songs here? This has nothing to do with that.

And, by the way, you're not entirely correct either. There are apps from groups, I have several, that allow you to get their music in their apps, sometimes as streaming, without having to go through the iTunes store.

Books have not been something that Apple has wrapped the company's fortunes around. You really think they would remove all the book reading programs and stand-alone books from the deices and store? I don't.
post #51 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

To a certain extent. I think that 27% or so said they would. Something like that.

No, 27% would have bought and ipad over their current ereader, not that they will sell their ereader and buy and iPad
post #52 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

The KIndle app on the iPhone doesn't compete with the iPhones native eBook functionality because the iPhone doesn't have native eBook functionality. With the iPad, it's a whole other story.

But if AI is correct, you have to download Apple's bookstore app.

That means it DOESN'T have native functionality as defined by Apple, which means functionality supplied WITH the device, and not removable.

It's an option.
post #53 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Interesting that both Amazon and B&N have made an attempt to stay relevant by releasing apps for the App Store, but it does seem to indicate that they are unable to fight the iPad/iPhone/iPod touch juggernaut. You don't see Apple releasing apps for Blackberry or the Android Market to pick up a few pennies here and there, do you?

Well there are off the top of my head TWO very good reasons for this...

1. For some strange reason iTunes won't recognize any other tablet! (hmmm)

2. They don't have to!

Thing of it is...

A few years from now (maybe sooner, maybe later) someone high up in the government not already bribed (err not already lobbied) is going to take notice that Apple has become the de-facto source for all forms of digitally marketed media.. Music, Movies, TV Shows, Books, Magazines, Audiobooks, Comic Books, Newspapers, etc and is perhaps gonna ask some serious questions about Apples business practices.
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #54 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

No, 27% would have bought and ipad over their current ereader, not that they will sell their ereader and buy and iPad

There was a report where some percentage like that said they would.
post #55 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Negatively?!?! Me?!?!

I was simply going by track record.

I don't believe Apple has ever allowed an App to be approved that in turn allowed the user to perform IN APP PURCHASES songs from any of the major iTunes competitors same for TV Shows and Movies. Somehow I think Apple has that all locked up... however since the SDK now provided developers a method of implementing in APP purchases maybe this has/will change... Somehow I still wouldn't see B&N or Amazon or any other mass marketer of digital media content participating in the system (unless they pass along (tack on) the 'apple cut' to the final selling price call it an Apple Tax if you will.

I could be wrong about this since it's not exactly something I follow that closely but I'm betting I'm not. But if Apple was to approve a B&N app that allowed the person to do in app purchasing via the B&N store instead of the iTunes Book Store I'd be very surprised.

It will likely work like the B&N Bookstore app currently works on the iPhone. Yes B&N already has an approved bookstore app on the iPhone. You can browse books and add them to the cart in the app and you are transferred to Safari when you are ready to checkout. Like the current iPhone App, I doubt the new app will feature true in app purchasing because Apple would have to be given a cut, however everything but the actual transaction can be performed in the app.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #56 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

A few years from now (maybe sooner, maybe later) someone high up in the government not already bribed (err not already lobbied) is going to take notice that Apple has become the de-facto source for all forms of digitally marketed media.. Music, Movies, TV Shows, Books, Magazines, Audiobooks, Comic Books, Newspapers, etc and is perhaps gonna ask some serious questions about Apples business practices.

If Apple ever manages to do that, then sure, perhaps they should have to spin off the service. But that would be a problem as well. What if a competitor then bought it?

Not so simple.

But in addition, natural monopolies are allowed. That is, monopolies that have grown from internal growth, rather than from purchases of other companies. So Apple likely would be required to, as a monopoly in that area, allow some manner of competition.

I think they could handle it.
post #57 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

It will likely work like the B&N Bookstore app currently works on the iPhone. Yes B&N already has an approved bookstore app on the iPhone. You can browse books and add them to the cart in the app and you are transferred to Safari when you are ready to checkout. Like the current iPhone App, I doubt the new app will feature true in app purchasing because Apple would have to be given a cut, however everything but the actual transaction can be performed in the app.

The "cut" is the difficulty. I've bought a few books using the Kindle app, and a couple with the B&N app. They're more trouble than some others, but work well enough for what it is.

I guess it all comes down to whether the price from one is much different than the price from another; what the DRM allows; the reading experience, etc.
post #58 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Why are you talking about songs here? This has nothing to do with that.

And, by the way, you're not entirely correct either. There are apps from groups, I have several, that allow you to get their music in their apps, sometimes as streaming, without having to go through the iTunes store.

Did you miss the MASS MARKETERS that I went out of my way to emphasize? (since I knew very well that individual bands were doing sales) I know you had to have seen it since you included it in your quote... What I'm talking about is MASS DIGITAL MUSIC SELLERS (thousands or millions of different titles or tracks) and somehow I think you knew that all along.

If Steven King wanted to make all of his books for sale via an APP (and had the authority to do so) then yes Apple is going to allow it... Even if some never heard of author wants to sell THEIR works via an APP then sure Apple isn't going to stop them.

This I thought would have been made fairly clear to most all readers when wrote:

" B&N or Amazon or any other mass marketer of digital media content "

I even did over the top EMPHASIS on mass marketer because I knew if I didn't people would throw up examples of individual artists/individuals selling their own content. Oh well even when you try to stop people from throwing up cases that aren't pertinent to the main argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Books have not been something that Apple has wrapped the company's fortunes around. You really think they would remove all the book reading programs and stand-alone books from the deices and store? I don't.

Again we seem to have a hard time keep on track here...

- This is not about APPS that ONLY allow one to READ competitors ebooks

- This is ALL about APP that would allow users to buy content from MASS MARKETERS other that iTunes.

My point is Apple would NEVER allow an APP that provided a method of buying books from Amazon or B&N ... not WITHOUT Apple getting their 30% cut which something that neither Amazon nor B&N could likely be able to do given the already publicized pricing data.

Then again Apple would likely STILL deny such APPs even if it did agree to giving Apple its cut.
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #59 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Competition aside, variety aside, choice aside, doesn't B&N have their own ereader "The Nook"? What stock are they putting in their eco system of Nook and B&N Bookstore versus Apple's iPad and iBookstore? Is the handwriting already on the wall for these folks even before Apple has sold their first iPad?

One word: "WOW!"

They profit from the ebooks not ereaders.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #60 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

I've owned their machines since my first SE30!

What a beautiful machine. I remember upgrading from an SE to the SE/30. The 40mb hard drive and the high density floppy drive were huge.
post #61 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

If Apple ever manages to do that, then sure, perhaps they should have to spin off the service. But that would be a problem as well. What if a competitor then bought it?

Not so simple.

But in addition, natural monopolies are allowed. That is, monopolies that have grown from internal growth, rather than from purchases of other companies. So Apple likely would be required to, as a monopoly in that area, allow some manner of competition.

I think they could handle it.

WOW....

Don't get me wrong I like Apple products and have been purchasing them for years. That being said.... the idea that Apple could (and yes this is a long shot) one day control all of the digital distribution of movies, music, TV episodes (ones put up for sale by the studio) , books, audiobooks, comic books, NEWSPAPERS, magazines, SCHOOLBOOKS, etc, etc makes me extremely upset. And warning bells should be going off in everyone else's heads (Apple Fan or not).

Based on your reaction to the concept you act as if it would be an okay thing to let happen if it were to occur.

I certainly hope I'm just reading you wrong...

Oh and I couldn't resist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

natural monopolies are allowed. That is, monopolies that have grown from internal growth, rather than from purchases of other companies

Tell that to AT&T (the REAL one that was started back in 1877 - aka "Ma Bell") :LOL:

Yes I know Government created regulated monopolies are not the same thing....
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #62 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

My point is Apple would NEVER allow an APP that provided a method of buying books from Amazon or B&N ... not WITHOUT Apple getting their 30% cut which something that neither Amazon nor B&N could likely be able to do given the already publicized pricing data.

Then again Apple would likely STILL deny such APPs even if it did agree to giving Apple its cut.

What does this have to do with you thinking Apple will ban this Barnes & Noble iPad app? Like the current app on the iPhone (that Apple has already approved) the monetary transaction would be done through Safari, and not in the application itself.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #63 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

What does this have to do with you thinking Apple will ban this Barnes & Noble iPad app? Like the current app on the iPhone (that Apple has already approved) the monetary transaction would be done through Safari, and not in the application itself.

Yes... as I said NO EBOOK APP would EVER BE APPROVED if THE APP enabled the user ti BUY EBOOKS from non iTunes sources (again to be clear ... buying content from within the confines of the APP). Apple can't prevent people from using Safari to shop websites (tho I'm betting they'd like to find a way to selectively do just that) and they can't prevent an APP from receiving content from the web but again if I were a betting man they'd love to pick and choose what sites were blocked if they though they could get away with it.

So B&N has worked within the rules and regs and are making the best of it.

Would they RATHER have their EBOOK READER APP provide a way to buy books without resorting to Safari? Yes I'm quite certain they would... but the can't.

So it seems we both agree...
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #64 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Don't get me wrong I like Apple products and have been purchasing them for years. That being said.... the idea that Apple could (and yes this is a long shot) one day control all of the digital distribution of movies, music, TV episodes (ones put up for sale by the studio) , books, audiobooks, comic books, NEWSPAPERS, magazines, SCHOOLBOOKS, etc, etc makes me extremely upset. And warning bells should be going off in everyone else's heads (Apple Fan or not).

Didn't I read that WalMart is top three in books and music sales? Where's the outrage there?

Relax, Apple's in the distribution business to sell hardware. They have no interest in being a publisher (too much work for not enough payback).

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #65 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Yes... as I said NO EBOOK APP would EVER BE APPROVED if THE APP enabled the user ti BUY EBOOKS from non iTunes sources (again to be clear ... buying content from within the confines of the APP). Apple can't prevent people from using Safari to shop websites (tho I'm betting they'd like to find a way to selectively do just that) and they can't prevent an APP from receiving content from the web but again if I were a betting man they'd love to pick and choose what sites were blocked if they though they could get away with it.

So B&N has worked within the rules and regs and are making the best of it.

Would they RATHER have their EBOOK READER APP provide a way to buy books without resorting to Safari? Yes I'm quite certain they would... but the can't.

So it seems we both agree...

Apple charges for in app purchases for a very specific reason, they actually facilitate the transaction using their servers and your iTunes account with them. In other words, they provide a service that they charge for. The reasons why they don't permit other transactions within the confines of the app are certainly debatable, and Barnes and Noble would obviously rather do the entire transaction within the app. I do agree that any app that tried to have in app purchases not using Apples service would be denied, but that wasn't what you were initially arguing.

You basically suggested that this particular app didn't have a hope of being accepted by Apple for reasons that were completely untrue.
1)iBooks is not a native app
2)The B&N app doesn't have true in app purchases, they are playing within the rules as laid out by Apple
3)Similar applications (including one from B&N) are already in the App Store

You jumped to a conclusion not based on systematic evaluation of the facts, but to one driven by fear and pessimism. That is what I disagreed with.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #66 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Apple charges for in app purchases for a very specific reason, they actually facilitate the transaction using their servers and your iTunes account with them. In other words, they provide a service that they charge for. The reasons why they don't permit other transactions within the confines of the app are certainly debatable, and Barnes and Noble would obviously rather do the entire transaction within the app. I do agree that any app that tried to have in app purchases not using Apples service would be denied, but that wasn't what you were initially arguing.

You basically suggested that this particular app didn't have a hope of being accepted by Apple for reasons that were completely untrue.
1)iBooks is not a native app
2)The B&N app doesn't have true in app purchases, they are playing within the rules as laid out by Apple
3)Similar applications (including one from B&N) are already in the App Store

You jumped to a conclusion not based on systematic evaluation of the facts, but to one driven by fear and pessimism. That is what I disagreed with.

I believe iBooks was not included as a core app for the specific reason of leaving the device open to Kindle/Nook type apps without violating the "core functionality" provisions.

Apple is first and foremost a hardware company and this is the best way to enable Kindle and Nook owners to switch to the iPad.
post #67 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

You jumped to a conclusion not based on systematic evaluation of the facts, but to one driven by fear and pessimism. That is what I disagreed with.

We can agree to disagree but my entire issue was not with an ebook reader being made available for the iPad... after all they already exist on the iPhone why wouldn't they? My 'problem' (not a problem actually cause it doesn't really bother me one way or another) is if B&N tried to do a full-service ebook application that allowed customers to browse and buy books directly from the reader-APP.

You can try and tell me I felt differently but somehow I think I know what I was getting at when I posted my mock-rejection letter. Even in my 'poke' at Apple with the 'REJECTION' in red text made it clear the app in question was allowing in app purchases.
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #68 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

We can agree to disagree but my entire issue was not with an ebook reader being made available for the iPad... after all they already exist on the iPhone why wouldn't they? My 'problem' (not a problem actually cause it doesn't really bother me one way or another) is if B&N tried to do a full-service ebook application that allowed customers to browse and buy books directly from the reader-APP.

I believe the Nook has exactly what you are looking for. Available for $259 here.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #69 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Did you miss the MASS MARKETERS that I went out of my way to emphasize? (since I knew very well that individual bands were doing sales) I know you had to have seen it since you included it in your quote... What I'm talking about is MASS DIGITAL MUSIC SELLERS (thousands or millions of different titles or tracks) and somehow I think you knew that all along.

If Steven King wanted to make all of his books for sale via an APP (and had the authority to do so) then yes Apple is going to allow it... Even if some never heard of author wants to sell THEIR works via an APP then sure Apple isn't going to stop them.

This I thought would have been made fairly clear to most all readers when wrote:

" B&N or Amazon or any other mass marketer of digital media content "

I even did over the top EMPHASIS on mass marketer because I knew if I didn't people would throw up examples of individual artists/individuals selling their own content. Oh well even when you try to stop people from throwing up cases that aren't pertinent to the main argument.



Again we seem to have a hard time keep on track here...

- This is not about APPS that ONLY allow one to READ competitors ebooks

- This is ALL about APP that would allow users to buy content from MASS MARKETERS other that iTunes.

If you look, you can buy books in the app store that, while they aren't from Amazon, are from the publishers themselves. The point I was making is that songs and books, magazines are available at the prices the publishers want to sell them at, from free, to prices that are way too high. And that not all music is in iTunes at those prices either.

It doesn't have to be a mass marketeer like Amazon for it to matter. But you CAN buy music from Amazon through Safari on the iPhone, or Touch that will play on them. Apple gets no cut either. So I don't know what you're talking about.

How often does one store sell books through another store? When it happens through Amazon, from small affiliates, they get a cut, but then, they don't allow B&N to sell books for the Kindle either, and B&N doesn't allow Amazon to sell books through the Nook. And neither sells books from the other through their web sites, so I fail to see your point.

Quote:
My point is Apple would NEVER allow an APP that provided a method of buying books from Amazon or B&N ... not WITHOUT Apple getting their 30% cut which something that neither Amazon nor B&N could likely be able to do given the already publicized pricing data.

Then again Apple would likely STILL deny such APPs even if it did agree to giving Apple its cut.

Well, I just showed that neither Amazon or B&N would allow that, so what?

But, Apple DOES allow you to buy books from the Kindle app, and the B&N app without taking ANY cut. You just have the slight inconvenience of going through Safari. So you CAN buy books through an app sold in Apple's App Store without giving Apple any cut. Those are the mass marketeers you were speaking about that you think you can't buy books from that will play on Apple devices?

Show me where you can buy books for the Kindle or the Nook through the App Store that will play on them, or that you can buy them from there at all.

You can't.

Apple wins on this one.
post #70 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

WOW....

Don't get me wrong I like Apple products and have been purchasing them for years. That being said.... the idea that Apple could (and yes this is a long shot) one day control all of the digital distribution of movies, music, TV episodes (ones put up for sale by the studio) , books, audiobooks, comic books, NEWSPAPERS, magazines, SCHOOLBOOKS, etc, etc makes me extremely upset. And warning bells should be going off in everyone else's heads (Apple Fan or not).

Based on your reaction to the concept you act as if it would be an okay thing to let happen if it were to occur.

I certainly hope I'm just reading you wrong...

Oh and I couldn't resist...

It's ok because it's LEGAL. That doesn't mean it's a great thing to happen. I'm not even happy about these big media companies owning movie studios, newspapers, magazines, radio stations, and Tv networks.

Quote:
Tell that to AT&T (the REAL one that was started back in 1877 - aka "Ma Bell") :LOL:

Yes I know Government created regulated monopolies are not the same thing....

That was for a totally different reason. It was because the government felt that innovation was being stifled by it. It started with personal faxes. If AT&T allowed things to be connected to the network without getting frantic about it, it might still exist.
post #71 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Yes... as I said NO EBOOK APP would EVER BE APPROVED if THE APP enabled the user ti BUY EBOOKS from non iTunes sources (again to be clear ... buying content from within the confines of the APP). Apple can't prevent people from using Safari to shop websites (tho I'm betting they'd like to find a way to selectively do just that) and they can't prevent an APP from receiving content from the web but again if I were a betting man they'd love to pick and choose what sites were blocked if they though they could get away with it.

So B&N has worked within the rules and regs and are making the best of it.

Would they RATHER have their EBOOK READER APP provide a way to buy books without resorting to Safari? Yes I'm quite certain they would... but the can't.

So it seems we both agree...

You're playing with words here. You're clearly wrong on this. Give it up.
post #72 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I believe the Nook has exactly what you are looking for. Available for $259 here.

It's not what he's looking for because B&N doesn't allow anyone to purchase books from anyone but them.
post #73 of 108
This is good news to read.
I use the B&N reader app on my iPod touch and really like it. It's not surprising B&N beat Amazon to this.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
post #74 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Cool! Will it suck as bad as the software in the Nook?

What's wrong with the software on the Nook?
post #75 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinkim View Post

Wonder if Apple will approve such an app seeing as it will duplicate functionality (e.g. an e-reader app) Apple will be including with the iPad. I also wonder what will happen with the Kindle application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's iBooks e-reader application, which includes access to the iBookstore, will not come standard on the iPad. Instead, users will have to download the iBooks application from the App Store onto their iPad.

I have never heard of any app being rejected because it duplicates the functionality of another app store app.

If I understand the issue with Google Voice correctly, it was all about using unpublished APIs or stuff like that, because Skype is available.
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
post #76 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's not what he's looking for because B&N doesn't allow anyone to purchase books from anyone but them.

From the Nook, but you can buy books in other retailers like Fictionwise, Baen or any which has epub or ereader formats. Even you can buy at Sony store
post #77 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

My guess is that it's not shipped with the ipad because it's an USA feature

Good point. Hopefully it will be available in some other countries as well.
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
post #78 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by shubidua View Post

If I understand the issue with Google Voice correctly, it was all about using unpublished APIs or stuff like that, because Skype is available.

No, it was rejected for duplicating iPhone functionality, not for using private API's
post #79 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Wow, I always assumed it would come with the iPad (not that it's such a bid deal to download it from the app store) and never bothered to check. It features so prominently as one of it's core features, you'd think it would ship with the iPad.

The general consensus is that this is because Apple wants to be able to update iBooks without requiring a full OS update.

But it makes no difference whether it's "native" or not, or how you get the app. The iPad is designed to be an e-reader, among other things.
post #80 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

What's wrong with the software on the Nook?

The one I tried was so slow and unresponsive as to be basically unusable.

Edit: ...and I *wanted* to love it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Barnes & Noble announces intent to release iPad e-reader app