or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Magsafe adapter

Magsafe adapter

post #1 of 5
i have two adapters
both are broken because the thin wire has been bitten by my dog
but there are two opposite ends which are perfectly fine
i was wondering if i could just cut the bad wire off. and attach it to the good one
post #2 of 5
I wouldn't do it. Plus you run the risk of starting a fire if a spark gets made.
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBluff View Post

i have two adapters
both are broken because the thin wire has been bitten by my dog
but there are two opposite ends which are perfectly fine
i was wondering if i could just cut the bad wire off. and attach it to the good one

Sure, the thin wire doesn't carry dangerous current. The the thick wire before the white transformer connected to your household outlet most certainly does.

Be sure to disconnect it from the outlet before working on it.

Get a pair of wire strippers and black (or white) electrical tape only, says so on the package. Do not use any other type of tape or this will cause a fire.

Use the wire strippers to carefully strip about a inch off the main insulation to expose the colored wires and then a strip off a 1/2" off each colored wire to the bare metal beneath. This way you can see the colored wires and make the right connections.

You have to be very careful not to cut too deep or risk cutting the metal wire inside. Rotate the strippers around the wire gently while cutting and pulling to your right (or left) to remove the insulation off the end of the wire. You might want to practice on some other disconnected and discarded wires first to get the hang of it.

Next twist the wires of a matching color together, flatten and then cover with electrical tape, repeat for each color wire. Do not let the wires of other colors to touch or be exposed.

Next if you have enough wire, tie a knot along the insulated parts of the wire, this way when it's pulled by accident the stress isn't on the new connections you just made. Or else use a piece of non conductive, like plastic pen case, and tape it next to the connection and tape around the whole mess up and down the wire to reinforce it.

It won't be pretty, but it should work.

You might want to do something to prevent your dog from chewing other wires, before he/she chews through a full power line and burns the hell out of their mouth. Its a nasty sight, all black inside their mouths.
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

Sure, the thin wire doesn't carry dangerous current. The the thick wire before the white transformer connected to your household outlet most certainly does.

Be sure to disconnect it from the outlet before working on it.

Get a pair of wire strippers and black (or white) electrical tape only, says so on the package. Do not use any other type of tape or this will cause a fire.

Use the wire strippers to carefully strip about a inch off the main insulation to expose the colored wires and then a strip off a 1/2" off each colored wire to the bare metal beneath. This way you can see the colored wires and make the right connections.

You have to be very careful not to cut too deep or risk cutting the metal wire inside. Rotate the strippers around the wire gently while cutting and pulling to your right (or left) to remove the insulation off the end of the wire. You might want to practice on some other disconnected and discarded wires first to get the hang of it.

Next twist the wires of a matching color together, flatten and then cover with electrical tape, repeat for each color wire. Do not let the wires of other colors to touch or be exposed.

Next if you have enough wire, tie a knot along the insulated parts of the wire, this way when it's pulled by accident the stress isn't on the new connections you just made. Or else use a piece of non conductive, like plastic pen case, and tape it next to the connection and tape around the whole mess up and down the wire to reinforce it.

It won't be pretty, but it should work.

You might want to do something to prevent your dog from chewing other wires, before he/she chews through a full power line and burns the hell out of their mouth. Its a nasty sight, all black inside their mouths.

there are no colored wires, its just all metal?
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBluff View Post

there are no colored wires, its just all metal?

Perhaps you can find a person familiar with electronics to repair the break for you in exchange for lunch or something.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Magsafe adapter