or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple releases Safari 4.0.5 with performance, stability improvements

Apple releases Safari 4.0.5 with performance, stability improvements

post #1 of 68
Apple Thursday evening released a new update to Safari for Mac and Windows, with the latest browser version improving its performance, stability and security.

The update, available directly from Apple, weighs in at 30.52MB for Snow Leopard Users, 38.59MB for Leopard, 26,78MB for Tiger, and 30.18 for Windows Vista, XP and 7.

The update addresses a number of issues related to the browser, WebKit, ColorSync, ImageIO and more. Apple noted the following changes for the browser in Safari 4.0.5:

Performance improvements for Top Sites
Stability improvements for 3rd-party plug-ins
Stability improvements for websites with online forms and Scalable Vector Graphics
Fixes an issue that prevented Safari from changing settings on some Linksys routers
AppleInsider first reported on Safari 4.0.5 last Friday, noting that the browser update offers improved HTML5 video playback, faster JavaScript performance, better performance loading YouTube, and an overall reduced memory footprint. Additionally, the release was also said to include a much improved plugin manager aimed at reducing the number of crashes caused by plugins, including Adobe Flash.

The last update to Safari, version 4.0.4, came last November, when Apple addressed a vulnerability that could allow an image file to exploit Macs with older software.
post #2 of 68
Sure hope this helps.
post #3 of 68
it looks like it opens and closes faster than before, something Chrome has had over Safari. Visual History seems faster, too.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #4 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

it looks like it opens and closes faster than before, something Chrome has had over Safari. Visual History seems faster, too.

Considering WebKit Nightly is over 50 builds ahead of this one you can expect a vast improvement for the next major release of Safari [5.0] compared to this branch.
post #5 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Sure hope this helps.

Helps what? Whether you like it or not Safari is currently the fastest released browser on the Mac and has less crashes than any other. This is just a minor tweak and not really even worth writing the article about. You make it sound like there is some kind of massive "problem" with it that you hope is fixed now. It's not true.
post #6 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Considering WebKit Nightly is over 50 builds ahead of this one you can expect a vast improvement for the next major release of Safari [5.0] compared to this branch.

It's always that way. I checked out the Sublime video since the "latest nightlies" allow for full-screen playback. Whatever has been added to those WebKit builds is not part of Safari 4.0.5.
post #7 of 68
Apple is so concerned about Safari's speed when they instead should be looking at what Firefox and even Chrome are doing to make web browsing a much more enjoyable experience.

I got Morning Coffee, one button click loads my favorite websites assigned for that particular day.

Instead of just Google in the search bar, I got Wikipedia, Amazon, eBay, Answers and anything other site too.

I got Flagfox which tells me the location of the sites I visit, another verifies the sites, Adblock, bug blockers, script blockers and best of all a nice blue sky theme with a image of Yosemite instead of that boring grey in Safari.

I got FasterFox which preloads the next Google search results and adds it to the bottom of the previous page, so I just keep all scrolling through instead of the lame click and load method.

I got NoSquint, which remembers the zoom level for each site. Firefox zoom includes the whole site, not just the type!

I could go on and on... I don't even remember the last time I launched Safari...
post #8 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

Apple is so concerned about Safari's speed when they instead should be looking at what Firefox and even Chrome are doing to make web browsing a much more enjoyable experience.

Then you're set, but don't think that what is an "enjoyable experience" for you would be the same for others. I can assure you it isn't. In fact, all that crap you mentioned means nothing to most users, even the ones using Chrome and Firefox which allows plugins.

You seem to be looking it as if Apple employees are sitting around scratching their heads wondering how to mimic Firefox, but you should be looking at what Apple is doing with their browsers.
post #9 of 68
No noticeable difference in anything after installing 4.0.5. I suppose that's a good thing......
post #10 of 68
Top Sites is better. Feels faster. Plus I changed my DNS server to the fastest one near me, and it seems to help quite a bit (using Namebench.)
post #11 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Helps what? Whether you like it or not Safari is currently the fastest released browser on the Mac and has less crashes than any other. This is just a minor tweak and not really even worth writing the article about. You make it sound like there is some kind of massive "problem" with it that you hope is fixed now. It's not true.

I've had massive problems with Top Sites taking ages to load and then the websites too when you click on them, plus I've had video errors with strange patterns appearing when using Top Sites and creating a new tab. Top Sites have been so bad it has caused my whole computer to slow down when I've got a lot of tabs open (plus other applications). This isn't a lack of RAM and I've noticed no problems since turning Top Sites off. I hope this update solves the problem and makes Top Sites usable again.
post #12 of 68
Haven't run it yet on my G4 Powerbook, but will soon.

I still don't see why both opera and firefox are so much more responsive than safari on my pbook g4 12", where safari is literally a dog...might it be the extended history in safari?

It's such a dissapointment because I 've switched to safari for better cross machine syncing, and I can't stand it how on a g4 hardware both opera and firefox trump it...
post #13 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

safari is literally a dog.

The new version of Safari is great, but it still drinks from the toilet.
post #14 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanw23 View Post

The new version of Safari is great, but it still drinks from the toilet.

You mean this version?

I really can't see how come other browsers work better on a g4 of all things, my suspicion is that apple has abandoned all optimizations for the g4s, which is very disappointing. Do you guys get the same experience from safari on your powerbooks or is it just me and I have to clear some caches or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCrazy View Post

I've had massive problems with Top Sites taking ages to load and then the websites too when you click on them, plus I've had video errors with strange patterns appearing when using Top Sites and creating a new tab. Top Sites have been so bad it has caused my whole computer to slow down when I've got a lot of tabs open (plus other applications). This isn't a lack of RAM and I've noticed no problems since turning Top Sites off. I hope this update solves the problem and makes Top Sites usable again.

Truth be told this is a common experience for quite a few users, myself included, regardless of safari's otherwise great performance on intel hardware. I've had every single symptom MacCrazy describes with Top Sites too.
post #15 of 68
Quote:

I got Morning Coffee, one button click loads my favorite websites assigned for that particular day.

Instead of just Google in the search bar, I got Wikipedia, Amazon, eBay, Answers and anything other site too.

I got Flagfox which tells me the location of the sites I visit, another verifies the sites, Adblock, bug blockers, script blockers and best of all a nice blue sky theme with a image of Yosemite instead of that boring grey in Safari.

I got FasterFox which preloads the next Google search results and adds it to the bottom of the previous page, so I just keep all scrolling through instead of the lame click and load method.

I got NoSquint, which remembers the zoom level for each site. Firefox zoom includes the whole site, not just the type!

I could go on and on... I don't even remember the last time I launched Safari...

I can't stand Firefox.
post #16 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Top Sites is better. Feels faster. Plus I changed my DNS server to the fastest one near me, and it seems to help quite a bit (using Namebench.)

I was going to do that. but I also noticed that UltraDNS, which is supposedly the fastest, has a range which is also one of the slowest. The one Covad uses (my ISP), isn't the fastest, but isn't nearly as slow in the slow part of the range.

Half of one, half of another.
post #17 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Its also the one with the most amount of compatibility problems and other issues. Its very good, but its not perfect. There's a lot of room for improvement.
post #18 of 68
Quote:

I've not played around with plugins like you have, but I have to admit I've got myself pretty much hooked on using Chrome instead of Safari. I just love the way I can search in the address bar. A simple seeming thing that I've grown to really appreciate.
post #19 of 68
This seems to be a good place to ask this question. I've asked this question in other forums too, but no one gives a logical reply

So, I have been using Webkit Nightly builds for over 3 weeks now. And they are super fast! Faster than even Chrome I guess.

So, this is the question: How secure are the Webkit Nightly builds?

I've read that Apple chooses a really good Webkit build and then tweaks it and then comes a new version of Safari! So, I am assuming Safari is safe enough. But, is the Webkit more secure than Safari or less secure?

Would be really helpful if someone answered this!
post #20 of 68
These are some features I like to see Safari address in a minor release. Looks like they are still squashing bugs.

1) Sorting bookmarks by name
2) Moving the plus sign (+) next to the last tab for a more correct GUI design in lauching new tabs. Double-clicking the tab bar is nice but not intuitive. The current plus sign location sucks.
3) Volume control for the browser with the ability to mute web site that auto-play music or videos.
4) A shortcut key to put the browser in full screen mode (hide the menu, bookmark bar etc).
5) A more GUI intuitive way to add to the bookmark bar.
6) The option to choose other search providers other than Google or in addition to Google

Like it or not IE8 has all of the above features and Safari can steal (er borrow) those ideas. The volume control doesn't exist in IE8 either.

I wished Safari kept the Chrome-like tabs it had in the beta version.

I don't believe my feature list would constitute a 5.0 version for Safari but maybe a 4.1.
post #21 of 68
Quote:

Truth be told this is a common experience for quite a few users, myself included, regardless of safari's otherwise great performance on intel hardware. I've had every single symptom MacCrazy describes with Top Sites too.

Top Sites used to crash my whole system... generating some kind of panic in the graphics driver. I had to turn Top Sites off. I've turned it back on, and am hoping that the fixes to Top Sites will also mean no more kernel panics.
post #22 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Totally agree with that one. I hated the tab design in the beta when I first got it, but had grown to really like it by the time they took it away!

I like the way Chrome handles tabs.
post #23 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by nite41 View Post

This seems to be a good place to ask this question. I've asked this question in other forums too, but no one gives a logical reply

So, I have been using Webkit Nightly builds for over 3 weeks now. And they are super fast! Faster than even Chrome I guess.

I've read that Apple chooses a really good Webkit build and then tweaks it and then comes a new version of Safari! So, I am assuming Safari is safe enough. But, is the Webkit more secure than Safari or less secure?

They're all betas. There's no knowing if something like security is broken on any given build. It's not likely, but it's possible. A released version is tested plenty first, and even then, problems show up. Such is the life of software.
post #24 of 68
This version of Safari will not correctly render this site:
http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php

Load time is slow compared to most sites.

Time to get full rendered picture with animation is over a minute.

When animation is active, scrolling is jerky because user inputs are skipped for up to a second of inputs. The jerky movement problem gets worse with continuous input.
post #25 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

These are some features I like to see Safari address in a minor release. Looks like they are still squashing bugs.

1) Sorting bookmarks by name
2) Moving the plus sign (+) next to the last tab for a more correct GUI design in lauching new tabs. Double-clicking the tab bar is nice but not intuitive. The current plus sign location sucks.
3) Volume control for the browser with the ability to mute web site that auto-play music or videos.
4) A shortcut key to put the browser in full screen mode (hide the menu, bookmark bar etc).
5) A more GUI intuitive way to add to the bookmark bar.
6) The option to choose other search providers other than Google or in addition to Google

Like it or not IE8 has all of the above features and Safari can steal (er borrow) those ideas. The volume control doesn't exist in IE8 either.

I don't believe my feature list would constitute a 5.0 version for Safari but maybe a 4.1.

I'd like to see colored folders in bookmarks, to make it easier to pick them out from a long list like I have.

I'd also like to see when adding a bookmark, folders closed, rather than open, unless you click on it. The list gets sooo long otherwise, it take a long time to get from the top to the bottom. And every new folder you add within another folder just makes that list longer.
post #26 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Totally agree with that one. I hated the tab design in the beta when I first got it, but had grown to really like it by the time they took it away!

I like the way Chrome handles tabs.

Well, you know, people, including a bunch of tech writers, complained about it, so they listened, and changed it back. It would be nice if we could change it in prefs.
post #27 of 68
Quote:

You mean this version?

I really can't see how come other browsers work better on a g4 of all things, my suspicion is that apple has abandoned all optimizations for the g4s, which is very disappointing. Do you guys get the same experience from safari on your powerbooks or is it just me and I have to clear some caches or something?

Safari 4.x runs fine on my G4 Powerbook. It's a little sluggish at times but that's to be expected from a five year old machine. Firefox runs about the same; no better no worse. I refuse to touch Opera simply because it's been a piss poor browser since 2001 or so.

Cant' say anything about Top Sites though. I think it's kinda lame and don't use it.
post #28 of 68
Quote:

...Firefox zoom includes the whole site, not just the type!...

Safari had this before Firefox did, so ha! Nice try, though.
post #29 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticknick View Post

...I refuse to touch Opera simply because it's been a piss poor browser since 2001 or so....

Opera happens to be a great browser, but doesn't have the mindshare that other mainstream browsers are getting.
post #30 of 68
Quote:

A few versions ago I'm guessing, you can have multiple sites open in tabs at a single button press, and there are plug-ins available for safari that do the same things that your current alternative browser plug-ins achieve... And the zoom comment is incorrect, the entire site is enlarged/reduced in safari, which can also be controlled with a pinch on your multi-touch track pad. You're talking about the features you've installed like they're standard browser behaviour - all of this can be achieved with third party plug ins for Safari as you have done for firefox, what's your point exactly?
post #31 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimoase View Post

When animation is active, scrolling is jerky because user inputs are skipped for up to a second of inputs. The jerky movement problem gets worse with continuous input.

Took just under 9 seconds to complete load here (2meg line) animation is fine, scrolling is smooth. No 'jerk' problem.

Check your computer?
post #32 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I can't stand Firefox.

Me too. I use Chrome

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #33 of 68
Gotta love it how OS X updates so often actually add useful stuff or improve performance, as opposed to just plugging holes or fix critical bugs. This is so much better than the typical Windows updates I was used to before. Good job Apple!
post #34 of 68
@Mactel Agreed with everything. Excellent post. Even if they don't wan to de facto some of what you say, they should make them as options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'd like to see colored folders in bookmarks, to make it easier to pick them out from a long list like I have.

I'd also like to see when adding a bookmark, folders closed, rather than open, unless you click on it. The list gets sooo long otherwise, it take a long time to get from the top to the bottom. And every new folder you add within another folder just makes that list longer.

Oh amen for the colour folders, let me also take it a step further and say icon/images capable folders too. I have assigned pictures to most of my os x mainly used desktop folders work, books, journals etc. and it make it a breeze to browse, I would love to be able to just quickly spot the icon for say the folder for Journals in my bookmarks instead of this damn boring and hard to use blue folder list. (And why not be able to assign images to itunes playlists too, I have tons of them, would save me lots of time again)

And how about some smart folders and tags in Safari? Isn't it high time we had that too, seeing as now our synced bookmarks are cross device references for our macs, portable macs, iphones and future ipads, shouldn't they as best organized as possible?

To be honest and fair with apple, safari has become a really nice, solid, fast browser on intel machines, but it's not up to scratch in a lot minor but very important details and usability features, it doesn't have that extra polish and oomph. It's not enough to copy operas speed dial when you keep a bookmarking system e.g. from the dark ages of browsers.

Let's hope people are reading these, and are actively working on them.
post #35 of 68
Safari is missing quite a lot of handy basic features and interface tweaks from other browsers. The only it currently has going for it is the integration with the rest of OS X but as a standalone browser it is below par at best. Given Safari's glacial and Chrome's breakneck development speed the later will be a suitable alternative to Safari by version 6 for people who do not wish to use Firefox.
post #36 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by nite41 View Post

I don't know about your other answers but there is no way to positively answer your question. Think about it Webkit is under heavy development, there is always a possibility of a security breach. How would you know as it may be there one day and gone the next.
Quote:

Speed stopped being an issue some time ago for me, I'm more concerned about Safari being correct now. That is that it renders properly. On that note I've been using WebKit for a couple of years now and generally like it.
Quote:

As noted above that can't be answered. Think about what you are asking here, you are using a nightly build of a beta product.

On the otherhand where do you think the fixes for real security issues get tested. You see webKit should be getting progressively better even security wise but there is always a chance of regressions.
Quote:

How many times are you going to ask a question that can't be honestly answered? When you use WebKit you are TESTING software, that should be pretty clear.

Dace
post #37 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Safari had this before Firefox did, so ha! Nice try, though.

Firefox introduced full page zoom with 3.0 in June 2008 while Safari 4 was released a year later so your statement is wrong. It's actually Opera which pioneered this technology long before its competitors.
post #38 of 68
loaded instantly(so fast it's scary), smooth everything...... rendered perfect. You must have other issues

quote:Originally Posted by jimoase

post #39 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-range View Post

Gotta love it how OS X updates so often actually add useful stuff or improve performance, as opposed to just plugging holes or fix critical bugs.

Safari 4 should have never been released with such abyssal top sites performance and it's actually embarrassing that it took Apple so long to start fixing this issue, especially when checking sites for updates and generating the thumbs looks like the perfect task for Grand Central.
post #40 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You seem to be looking it as if Apple employees are sitting around scratching their heads wondering how to mimic Firefox, but you should be looking at what Apple is doing with their browsers.

What exactly is Apple doing with its browser? For the last couple of years Safari hasn't exactly been exactly on the forefront when it comes to interface innovations or useful built-in features. Safari nowadays is nothing more than a sporadically updated front end to WebKit while most of the resources seem to be poured into the engine.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple releases Safari 4.0.5 with performance, stability improvements