or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple turns iPad mute button into screen rotation lock

Apple turns iPad mute button into screen rotation lock - Page 2

post #41 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I think it's a good place for it. It would be nice if apps would implement this themselves. Some do. Stanza should, but they don't as far as I can tell.

Yeah I suppose I'll get over it in an hour or so. It just might be little confusing at first. First they move the controls to the opposite side from the iPhone, then they change one of the buttons functions.

Maybe the'll change the volume up/down to turning 3G on/off, but only on those models, on the WiFI only it will be for giving positive or negative ratings to App store apps
post #42 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Yeah I suppose I'll get over it in an hour or so. It just might be little confusing at first. First they move the controls to the opposite side from the iPhone, then they change one of the buttons functions.

Well, moving the buttons to the opposite side makes a lot of sense when you thing about it. Most people are right handed, so will more often hold the iPad in their left hand and "operate" it with their right. Having the buttons on the right side just makes this easier in portrait, and probably a bit of a toss-up in landscape .

I'm sure they considered the matter similarly when deciding to put them on the left side on the iPhone.

As for mute vs. rotation lock, I imagine that they found one wanted to lock/unlock rotation a lot more often than one needed to mute sound, so it's entirely sensible to switch the purpose of the button to that function and allow sound muting to become a software accessible option in the Settings app.
post #43 of 83
Quote:

I think it's a good place for it. It would be nice if apps would implement this themselves. Some do. Stanza should, but they don't as far as I can tell.

One of the 2 (well, maybe 3) things about Stanza that I dislike. There is a "book rotation" option in the More Options panel (...) but I can't see that it does anything.

The other thing is that it's really easy to get it into the font resize mode, and even sometimes confirm the size change without intending too.

The 3rd thing, that's a little annoying, although not a huge deal is that when you navigate back from a book to your library, it doesn't take you to the same place you came from. For example, if you were looking at authors, then went into the list of books by a particular author, then started reading one of those books, if you bring up the controls and tap "back" it takes you back to the author list, not the list of books by the author of the book you were just reading.
post #44 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

not to discount your emotions, but "infuriating" seems a bit dramatic and an exageration. Annoying or frustrating, but to infuriate is to make extremely angry to the level of near or at violence. (sorry, just me nit-picking)

OK. I'll accept your correction if I can add "extremely" in front of "annoying".

As of now, I have an ebook reader which corrects the omission in the iOS/hardware, so it no longer is even slightly annoying.

But until I found a 'reader that would do it, it was extremely annoying to have the page turn unexpectedly. I find that there's LOTS of stuff like that on the iPhone. It would be fine if the thing were configurable, but the omissions of basic functionality still bug me to the point where I am interested in getting a different phone.
post #45 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

It does border on infuriating at times, especially when reading news whole lying down. Sometimes it even gets a bit of a spin going. Worse is when it then won't go back and gets stuck.

I seriously hope this becomes an option for the iPhone as well.

One trick that you can try is to rotate the picture 180 degrees. It will not rotate past that. It doesn't help in landscape mode, but you can use the trick in portrait mode.
post #46 of 83
I really need one of these for iphone. When im in bed its just annoying when im web browsing (admit it, we all do it)
post #47 of 83
Ive was wrong, there actually is an up and down for the iPad - the pull of gravity is down. The new switch disables that, because sometimes you want a particular edge of the pad to be the 'down'.
post #48 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

But until I found a 'reader that would do it, it was extremely annoying to have the page turn unexpectedly. I find that there's LOTS of stuff like that on the iPhone. It would be fine if the thing were configurable, but the omissions of basic functionality still bug me to the point where I am interested in getting a different phone.

It took you a long time to find Stanza? When the most popular ebook reader has the feature, I find it hard to sympathize with your plight. I think you'd be in for a surprise if you switched to another phone. Every phone has its omissions, you just take what the iPhone has for granted. I'm not debating this with you past this point, because you don't debate, you ignore anything that you don't agree with. Happy trolling.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #49 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the alarms work on the iPod and iPhone even if the volume is turned down completely - could swear it does mine.

It doesn't on mine. I turn it down at night so I dont get woken by emails and all, and then when its morning time the alarm doesn't sound at all. It's kind of dumb in that way, because I can't turn it off otherwise the alarm doesn't ring at all.

With a Nokia you can either turn it off altogether and the alarm will still ring or simply silence your phone but then when it comes to alarms it will still ring, which is the right outcome.
post #50 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsFan83 View Post

Push Notifications and emails come to mind.

So you would actually use your iPad as an alarm clock on the night table ? Well, if that is the case, then I understand why you want this functionality. On the other hand I don't know if many people would use it like this. I would rather use the actual phone for this.
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
post #51 of 83
With regard to convenient features that Apple may of overlooked. I have a problem with "Show My Caller ID" on my iPhone. One has to go to "settings" to to turn it off or on or see if it's off or on. Dialing *82 doesn't work. There is no indication on the phone keypad screen as to whether it's on or off. It is because of my profession that I need to frequently turn this feather on or off and know if it's on or off for each call. Having to go to settings is inconvenient. it would be great if my telephone numbers in contacts could be entered as "private" or "blocked".
Cubist
Cubist
post #52 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by benice View Post

It doesn't on mine. I turn it down at night so I dont get woken by emails and all, and then when its morning time the alarm doesn't sound at all. It's kind of dumb in that way, because I can't turn it off otherwise the alarm doesn't ring at all.

With a Nokia you can either turn it off altogether and the alarm will still ring or simply silence your phone but then when it comes to alarms it will still ring, which is the right outcome.

So what you do is leave the volume where it should be and set the iphone ringer to mute. emails etc are muted, but the alarm works. I use it that way all of the time, because I can't stand being woken up by texts in the middle of the night.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
post #53 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

So what you do is leave the volume where it should be and set the iphone ringer to mute. emails etc are muted, but the alarm works. I use it that way all of the time, because I can't stand being woken up by texts in the middle of the night.

Thanks for that... for some reason I never thought of trying it like that because I just got used to using the volume rocker and didn't seem to make the mute work for overnight. I'm with you in that I hate being woken by texts, calls, mail etc at night but still need the alarm. Much appreciated!
post #54 of 83
A Much better function.
post #55 of 83
Quote:

Get the Alarm Clock app, it has its own volume settings.
post #56 of 83
Quote:

Thanks for that... for some reason I never thought of trying it like that because I just got used to using the volume rocker and didn't seem to make the mute work for overnight. I'm with you in that I hate being woken by texts, calls, mail etc at night but still need the alarm. Much appreciated!

No worries. It strikes me now that one has to look at it the other way around compared to other hardware makers conventions. So very characteristic of Apple to make you "think different" -ly about it, but I think it makes sense vs. the alternatives.

It's funny none of us have alarm clocks any more and our phones features on this front have become so essential.

Enjoy.
post #57 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"There isn't even a single orientation," Jony Ive, senior vice president of design with Apple, said in the iPad's initial promotional video.

Jony?
post #58 of 83
It's so you can watch movies swinging by your legs upside-down on the monkey bars
post #59 of 83
Quote:

If you're saying that it would be nice if apps implemented a "non-rotate" feature individually, I kinda disagree.

Like most, I get annoyed by having the rotation happen when I don't want it to, but in practice I find that the few apps that I have that do implement a non-rotation setting end up getting in my way more than when the rotation is left to the OS alone.

I also find it hard to remember which app I have set to keep the default and which app I have locked the rotation down on. In the end, (IMO only of course), if the rotation is locked and you need to unlock it for a particular instance, it takes more effort to drill into the settings and change it, than it does to simply hold the phone a certain way to "take off" the effects of the unwanted rotation.

So leaving it alone gives you a more reliable and repeatable ability to control what's going on than having an app by app setting IMO.
post #60 of 83
Quote:

Maybe the'll change the volume up/down to turning 3G on/off, but only on those models, on the WiFI only it will be for giving positive or negative ratings to App store apps

Rumour has it the volume jack is moving from top left to top right in the next iPhone so get prepared to tear your hair out again.
post #61 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This change so late in game makes me think reading in bed on your side wasn't even considered until someone at Apple actually tried this and realized it was an issue.

Same as I was thinking...this irks me so much on the iPhone everytime I try to read in bed...
post #62 of 83
Quote:

I do something similar. Every night I turn off vibrate and turn the volume down, but not all the way off. I guess I'm a sound enough sleeper that the emails coming in don't wake me, but the gentle alarm does wake me. I hate being woken up by a loud alarm of any kind or of the sound of a phone vibrating on a wooden nightstand.
post #63 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a new way to mute the audio without having to turn the volume all the way down.

Probably two taps on the button.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #64 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by a10t2 View Post

Jony?

Yep, that's the correct spelling. It is pronounced like "Johnny".

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #65 of 83
Quote:

Handy, yes. In place of Mute switch? That's a little loopy, in my view.

So now I guess there is no way turn off sounds without lowering the volume? aka making the alarm clock useless

--

Is there something I'm missing in regard to how this will make any difference? iPad can be held any which way, and every App (but not Keynote....) can be held in either Portrait or Landscape...Including the HOME Screen, which is a big feature.... so if I want to use the device only in Landscape... I just hold it that way. Holding it that way will automatically force every App I launch into Landscape.

The ONLY difference with Lock button, is that it won't rotate to Portrait, should I turn the device. Seems like a minor, minor feature, and doesn't belong replacing a useful hardware button.

Again, this button doesn't force your Apps into Portrait or Landscape any more so than simply Holding the device that way....

Why are people hung up on the mute? It's not a phone, you won't be needing to switch off sound real quick while in a movie theatre. It isn't like it's going to be receiving phone calls.

There is no need for a physical mute switch on this thing, the mute can be software based. You don't have a switch to mute your laptop, it has to be open & turned on to press the mute key.
post #66 of 83
Aww man a lock button?!
This is so stupid. I can't believe Apple thought of another way to lock customers into just one way to view its "magical" device.
When will people wake up and smell the coffee ... openness and open standards are the way to go.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
post #67 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Probably two taps on the button.

That's my thought as well. Although if it were up to me it would one tap for mute and two for rotation lock, since mute is more likely to accessed abruptly.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #68 of 83
This also opens the possibility of changing its function in the settings, just like you can with the Home button double-tap.

Would be good if they implemented this, allowing the user to change it to a mute switch, orientation lock, backlight dimmer (?), physical ipod play/pause switch, etc.

I don't know, just a few things to ponder
post #69 of 83
Quote:

Does it have a silent ringer switch, even though it has 3 less sounds than the iPhone?... Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

The iPod touch has it because the iPhone has it, not because the iPod touch needs it.

What the hell are you guys on? The iPod Touch (2nd and 3rd Generation, at least) absolutely does NOT have a mute button.
post #70 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

One of the 2 (well, maybe 3) things about Stanza that I dislike. There is a "book rotation" option in the More Options panel (...) but I can't see that it does anything.

The other thing is that it's really easy to get it into the font resize mode, and even sometimes confirm the size change without intending too.

The 3rd thing, that's a little annoying, although not a huge deal is that when you navigate back from a book to your library, it doesn't take you to the same place you came from. For example, if you were looking at authors, then went into the list of books by a particular author, then started reading one of those books, if you bring up the controls and tap "back" it takes you back to the author list, not the list of books by the author of the book you were just reading.

I've noticed the same things. The worst, other than the font problem which doesn't seem to happen all that much, but does it at odd times, is the rotation.

I'll stop reading for some reason, for a few seconds, and move my hand at an angle without realizing it. so it moves to horizontal. When I straighten up again, it stays that way. So I have to rotate it slightly to the horizontal in the other direction. Then it moves to that direction. but if I then move it vertical again before it finishes the new rotation, it will finally go back to vertical.

UGG!

I would also like the server program on my Mac to allow me to select books more than one at a time.

And, why can't we just add books by selecting them, rather than having to open them first? It would be nice to be able to select all the books in a series, or even in a folder at one time.

And last, I would like to be able to rename books in the server that would stick. Now, when you do that in the phone app, the names disappear once you delete the book from the phone. I get books from the Guttenburg Project among other places, and sometimes the name comes up as "Unknown". Annoying when there are two or more books with that name in the list.
post #71 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by shubidua View Post

So you would actually use your iPad as an alarm clock on the night table ? Well, if that is the case, then I understand why you want this functionality. On the other hand I don't know if many people would use it like this. I would rather use the actual phone for this.

My daughter uses it that way.

If you traveled, you would buy a travel alarm. The iPhone is great for that too.

There are also sound systems that use the iPhone for the heart of the system. They turn it into a great quality radio alarm clock, but with your own music if you wan it that way.
post #72 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

If you're saying that it would be nice if apps implemented a "non-rotate" feature individually, I kinda disagree.

Like most, I get annoyed by having the rotation happen when I don't want it to, but in practice I find that the few apps that I have that do implement a non-rotation setting end up getting in my way more than when the rotation is left to the OS alone.

I also find it hard to remember which app I have set to keep the default and which app I have locked the rotation down on. In the end, (IMO only of course), if the rotation is locked and you need to unlock it for a particular instance, it takes more effort to drill into the settings and change it, than it does to simply hold the phone a certain way to "take off" the effects of the unwanted rotation.

So leaving it alone gives you a more reliable and repeatable ability to control what's going on than having an app by app setting IMO.

You wouldn't have to use the settings. But it would be nice if they ere there for those who would want them. Stanza, and a couple of other reading programs is all I need it for now. That's not hard to remember. I'm not saying that Apple shouldn't have it too.
post #73 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

Aww man a lock button?!
This is so stupid. I can't believe Apple thought of another way to lock customers into just one way to view its "magical" device.
When will people wake up and smell the coffee ... openness and open standards are the way to go.

What ARE you talking about? There are no standards in this. While some manufacturers may happen to do it the same way, others don't. I'm willing to bet that some manufacturers with a big lineup do it differently on different phone models. And anyway, this isn't a phone. Even Windows tablets have different physical controls.
post #74 of 83
post #75 of 83
Quote:

What ARE you talking about? There are no standards in this. While some manufacturers may happen to do it the same way, others don't. I'm willing to bet that some manufacturers with a big lineup do it differently on different phone models. And anyway, this isn't a phone. Even Windows tablets have different physical controls.

As icyfog is on record as having already committed to purchasing an iPad, I believe this is what they call a joke-- you know, playing on a "lock" button and the endless kvetching about Apple's "lockdown" of their devices.

And, as we know, there is nothing so hilarious as a joke explained.
post #76 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

As icyfog is on record as having already committed to purchasing an iPad, I believe this is what they call a joke-- you know, playing on a "lock" button and the endless kvetching about Apple's "lockdown" of their devices.

And, as we know, there is nothing so hilarious as a joke explained.

It's tiring reading people's posts when they know nothing. I'm convinced that there are about a half dozen here that are only here to make trouble. But one must try.\
post #77 of 83
Quote:

I would also like the server program on my Mac to allow me to select books more than one at a time.

And, why can't we just add books by selecting them, rather than having to open them first? It would be nice to be able to select all the books in a series, or even in a folder at one time.

Yes, although I'm not sure I want the desktop app to allow browsing of my entire hard drive, it would be nice if it maintained a Library from which you could select any book you want, open or not. Having to open them really is a pain, when all you want to do is load it to your iPhone and you're in another room.

Quote:
And last, I would like to be able to rename books in the server that would stick. Now, when you do that in the phone app, the names disappear once you delete the book from the phone. I get books from the Guttenburg Project among other places, and sometimes the name comes up as "Unknown". Annoying when there are two or more books with that name in the list.

I think you can rename them, I'm pretty sure I have, with the desktop app via the Book Information panel -- Cmd+I, or, Menu Bar/View/Book Info
post #78 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Rumour has it the volume jack is moving from top left to top right in the next iPhone so get prepared to tear your hair out again.

It seems to make sense, moving the buttons closer to the sleep/wake button, keeping it all in one area.

I'm sure once I get the thing, it won't matter much that the mute switch is gone. Real world use of this thing probably isn't going to dictate the need for it...

Example: on the iPhone, when listening to music, and launching an App such as a Game, sometimes the only way to mute the game audio or prevent your music from being muted, is to switch the iPhone into Silent mode with the ringer switch.

However, i don't see myself listening to music from the iPad. The iPhone will continue to serve that purpose. The iPad will be App-centric.
post #79 of 83
Quote:

My daughter uses it that way.

I think that I can be very confident in saying that you are lying about this, as the iPad is not yet available !

(I guess you meant an iPod Touch)
post #80 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yes, although I'm not sure I want the desktop app to allow browsing of my entire hard drive, it would be nice if it maintained a Library from which you could select any book you want, open or not. Having to open them really is a pain, when all you want to do is load it to your iPhone and you're in another room.

I've got all may books other than the ones I've bought from the App Store directly, in one folder called imaginatively enough - "BOOKS". Yeah, I know.\

Quote:
I think you can rename them, I'm pretty sure I have, with the desktop app via the Book Information panel -- Cmd+I, or, Menu Bar/View/Book Info

I'll have to look again.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple turns iPad mute button into screen rotation lock