or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple to replace iPads in need of new battery for $99

Apple to replace iPads in need of new battery for $99 - Page 5

post #161 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

I wouldn't be happy if the bottom of the iPad slid open to remove the battery. I want a smooth back.

Which batteries are better? Can you post a link?
I'm yet to have an Apple battery fail. Even my nearly 10 year old iBook battery still holds a 4 hour charge. You must be used to inferior products which come with inferior batteries.

In all fairness, it looks like the person you responded to isn't complaining because of the chance of problem batteries, which can and does happen. Some people do want to extend device run time by swapping batteries while on the go.
post #162 of 221
Seems like the same standard practice they have had for a while now with iPods and iPhones. I worked at the an apple store for 2 years and when ever someone brought in their iPod or iPhone for a "Battery Replacement" they were just given a refurb unit out of the repair part supply at the genius bar. Its nothing new, they then take your old one and do what every they see fit with it ie refurb and resell or just salvage for parts.
post #163 of 221
About the $99 battery replacement...

It keeps being suggested that Apple will be reselling used iPads to recoup the cost of sending out a replacement. This is almost a certainty, but another scenario seems more likely.

Units with no cosmetic flaws will simply be sent out to the next person who get's their battery swapped. Scuffed or scratched units will be swapped into a new shell and put back into the battery replacement program's stock of refurbished iPads. It seems unlikely that Apple would send out entirely new units until the refurbish stock is depleted first.
post #164 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Did you know that all phones have water damage indicators, apart from the cheapest throwaway dumbphones. (It costs too much to put them in).

Look for a little white sticker in the battery bay and on the battery, sometimes they have a red stripe or dots.

They contain a waterbased dye if they are pink your warranty is void, it's common and acceptable industry practice.

Repair centres will also examine phones for corrosion on the motherboard and connectors before voiding a warranty they will often take photo's.

Yes, I know. but damage varies. In talking to people who deal in such things, I've been told that it's only very rarely that the indicator will change without a severe amount of moisture present.
post #165 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdunn View Post

We all know that absolutely all Apple employees would never be involved in harvesting personal data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Check under your bed lately? You never know who could be lurking there.

While the rest of Rdunn's post wasn't very clever, your response here was quite smartassian.

So you don't worry about personal, or confidential, information being tossed around in the open?!

See how the rolling eyes make me look like an ass?

This might be a serious issue, depending on the technical details. This is a device that does a lot more than an iPhone; it has the ability to run a full suite of productivity apps allowing all manner of confidential data to be sitting on the device itself. How many companies do you think there are with confidential government contracts? Or other projects that are contractually deemed as confidential? Until specifics are made available about how data is stored and/or can be truly erased (not just remove the file pointers), this is not a device our company will allow anyone with access to such data to use. Or if they prove to be indispensable for some reason, they will be categorized "throw-away" devices, and will be destroyed if they become unusable. The problem is that would be expensive and wasteful.

Lost devices are a huge problem already (you can read any number of articles on that topic), but if there isn't a reasonably secure way to erase data from these devices, there are a number of markets where they just won't be usable. There are similar issues with iPhone, but they are easy to jailbreak and "nuke" before bringing in for service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Now that is a good point. Perhaps the advice should read 'Sync your data then erase the SSD before returning to Apple'. Incidentally, does anyone know how totally erasing data from a SSD compares to the multiple overwrites required to fully secure a hard drive?

An interesting question, but those kind of details wouldn't worry me as much as potentially having the data just sitting right on the device for anyone to see. For all we know, these devices will be sent to China for refurbishment. And we know they don't have any interest in digging for confidential information, like contact lists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Oh, and as for data - I think it will be safe to assume the iPad will be like the 3GS and all content encrypted - I would just do a restore on it before sending it on. That erases the encryption key for the rest of the device thus making the rest of the data on it inaccessible. Not a big deal, and part of the instructions on the page.

The encryption is not what it's cracked up to be. Read this:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-10295348-245.html

Let's hope OS 4.0+ will address issues like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You should also wipe all personal stuff first. This should always be SOP. If you don't, then that's not smart. People are people and there's no point in taking chances.

Absolutely right. SOP. But the question is: what exactly does a "wipe" do? Just removing pointers to the files won't cut it, and DOD-secure deletion is a lot more time-consuming than the average Joe is probably going to want to do when they bring in a device for service.

The device isn't even available yet, so let's see what Apple comes up with.
No Matte == No Sale :-(
post #166 of 221
Quote:

Yes, I know. but damage varies. In talking to people who deal in such things, I've been told that it's only very rarely that the indicator will change without a severe amount of moisture present.

Absolutely true, for most environments. But remember, there are other parts of the world where the humidity levels can reach the stratosphere on a regular basis. Singapore, for example:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/07/...riggering.lsis

It's a tricky situation. Manufacturers need to have these protections in place, but they aren't always perfect.
post #167 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyapple View Post

What they don't say in the support doc is for how long after purchase the policy will stand. Will they honor it once the iPad is out of warrantee or AppleCare?

warranty or applecare is a free replacement, just like the iPhone.

You actually wouldn't receive a brand new iPad, you'd get a refurbished one. The one you send back will get refurbished & then go to someone else who needs a new battery. So in reality they aren't incurring far more costs this way, more like a swap program.

The over all cost to Apple is probably nil when compared to shipping a battery but doing it this way means you don't have to be without your iPad for any length of time. This way too Apple can take service load off local stores. Servicing devices at Apple corporate probably costs Apple less in man hours since the technician can service them without needing to take up time explaining what they are doing to chatty customers. It's a win for customer & win for Apple. Very good idea.
post #168 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

While the rest of Rdunn's post wasn't very clever, your response here was quite smartassian.

So you don't worry about personal, or confidential, information being tossed around in the open?!

See how the rolling eyes make me look like an ass?

This might be a serious issue, depending on the technical details. This is a device that does a lot more than an iPhone; it has the ability to run a full suite of productivity apps allowing all manner of confidential data to be sitting on the device itself. How many companies do you think there are with confidential government contracts? Or other projects that are contractually deemed as confidential? Until specifics are made available about how data is stored and/or can be truly erased (not just remove the file pointers), this is not a device our company will allow anyone with access to such data to use. Or if they prove to be indispensable for some reason, they will be categorized "throw-away" devices, and will be destroyed if they become unusable. The problem is that would be expensive and wasteful.

Lost devices are a huge problem already (you can read any number of articles on that topic), but if there isn't a reasonably secure way to erase data from these devices, there are a number of markets where they just won't be usable. There are similar issues with iPhone, but they are easy to jailbreak and "nuke" before bringing in for service.

An interesting question, but those kind of details wouldn't worry me as much as potentially having the data just sitting right on the device for anyone to see. For all we know, these devices will be sent to China for refurbishment. And we know they don't have any interest in digging for confidential information, like contact lists.

Absolutely right. SOP. But the question is: what exactly does a "wipe" do? Just removing pointers to the files won't cut it, and DOD-secure deletion is a lot more time-consuming than the average Joe is probably going to want to do when they bring in a device for service.

The device isn't even available yet, so let's see what Apple comes up with.

Reset the device so that everything is wiped out. It's not likely that an Apple employee will have the privacy to use special software to get it back for themselves.
post #169 of 221
Quote:

It's not likely that an Apple employee will have the privacy to use special software to get it back for themselves.

Not just that, but can you imagine someone at work with enough time on their hands to go through each and every iPad just on the off chance that there is something interesting enough to steal? They probably will have a bunch of iPads that need refurbishing and no time to poke around and see if there is anything still on them.
post #170 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

No one ever said that it 'was a bad deal', but it does lead one to believe that the very same device one pays some US 500.00 to 830.00 actually only has a value of US 100.00, given that that's all it cost to replace the entire device.

It's As Simple As That

The old unit in all likelihood will be refurbished and resold, so that factors into the cost equation.
post #171 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

The old unit in all likelihood will be refurbished and resold, so that factors into the cost equation.

Or more likely... it'll be sent out to the next person getting their battery replaced.

A car analogy (because everyone loves them so much)

The battery replacement program is like a car wash where you drive your car up to the end of the line, but instead of waiting for your original car to be washed, you take the next clean car coming off the front of the line. No need to wait for the cleaning, just drive off in the next car coming out of the wash line.
post #172 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

I knew something was up when I could read DH's posts for the first time. Normally when I see empty space on the left side of the screen, I assumed that its just empty space not worth my time. Well, I'll be d*mned.

Thanks Mods'

Awesome. My eyes can go back to left carriage return.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

post #173 of 221
Quote:

With the unibody MBP the design of the internal battery removing all of the structure needed for exchangeable batteries allowed for a larger battery with longer battery life.
http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/features.html
click on "Breakthrough Battery"

That page is obviously a lie because according to Apple defenders, the hardware design used in the aluminum Powerbook G4 and original MacBook Pro was perfect, and it is impossible to make a thinner, lighter or more durable laptop which was also easier to service.

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple will not make a cell phone.

Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Web apps are really SWEET.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.
post #174 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

That page is obviously a lie because according to Apple defenders, the hardware design used in the aluminum Powerbook G4 and original MacBook Pro was perfect, and it is impossible to make a thinner, lighter or more durable laptop which was also easier to service.

Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Web apps are really SWEET.

Yay! It's the always reliable "Apple defenders" that need not be cited or named, proving once again made up people are hypocrites for having fictional opinions! You win again!

Well I remember when Apple defenders were vehemently defending their company against charges that they might make a cell phone or put video on an iPod. Boy, they sure do look foolish now!
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #175 of 221
Quote:

For anyone interested, the above is how to look like an idiot by repeatedly posting a list of obvious strawman arguments. Yes, that copied and pasted list is his debating strategy for every Apple related topic.

I remember some kid in elementary school always got 9x8 and 9x9 mixed up. Because that kid didn't know his multiplication tables, Haggar must be correct. Right? After all, somebody else was wrong about something.
post #176 of 221
C'mon people - use your heads and quit being penny-wise and pound foolish. I seldom buy extended warranties except for AppleCare, which turns out to be a good deal in many cases. For iPhones, iPads, iPods and Apple TV, AppleCare will buy you an extra year of protection, which includes for batteries that no longer hold charge to 50% of original design specs. When a lithium battery drops to 50% charge capacity, it'll be kaput in short order. Lithium batteries maintain high charge efficiency through almost their entire lives but drop sharply at the end.

AppleCare for iPads will cost $99 - same as the battery replacement service that Apple just announced - plus it'll cover other defects that could arise in the two years of coverage. Against that, however, weigh the fact that Apple lithium batteries now are by and large good for 1000 full recharging cycles, or almost three years if you fully discharged and recharged the unit every day.

Frankly, I've had only one battery problem with Apple, and that involved an older 40GB iPod. A 32GB iPod touch I've had in service for 21 months now has had zero problems, battery or otherwise, and I use it enough every day to discharge it about half.

Batteries are not the reliability problem these days. Hard drives are - as they've always been. At the moment I have a 16-month-old 13" MacBook in under AppleCare to swap out a 320GB OEM Toshiba hard drive. (AppleCare for Macs can be bought for a maximum of three years.) Fortunately, my data was fully backed up using Time Machine. A backup drive like Time Capsule or Western Digital's My Book for Mac, using Time Machine software, is the best protection you can ever buy to keep from losing your applications and data. Hard drive failure is like the two kinds of pilots - those who forget and come down with their landing gear up - and those who will. The big improvement in overall reliability will come in the next few years when solid state drives scale up in capacity while becoming more affordable.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #177 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

In all fairness, it looks like the person you responded to isn't complaining because of the chance of problem batteries, which can and does happen. Some people do want to extend device run time by swapping batteries while on the go.

I'm sure a MorphieJuicePack, or other variation will be developed and on the market shortly after launch. Besides, 10 hours of continuous use should be enough battery power for anyone.
post #178 of 221
Could someone please show apple a device that has a user replaceable battery, this has gone from being annoying ( on iphone/ipod) to just plain stupid. This is one of the reasons I not buying an ipad.
post #179 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

For anyone interested, the above is how to look like an idiot by repeatedly posting a list of obvious strawman arguments. Yes, that copied and pasted list is his debating strategy for every Apple related topic.

Some of those things were actually stated by Steve Jobs, how do you explain that? He himself said that video on an iPod was a bad idea on at least one occasion.

Something to add to that, he also said that "people don't read books", but now they have a book store and book reader app coming shortly. I'm pretty sure Jobs made statements saying that tablets were a bad idea, I need to look that up to be sure, the other examples I'm pretty sure about.
post #180 of 221
Quote:

Some of those things were actually stated by Steve Jobs, how do you explain that? He himself said that video on an iPod was a bad idea on at least one occasion.

Something to add to that, he also said that "people don't read books", but now they have a book store and book reader app coming shortly. I'm pretty sure Jobs made statements saying that tablets were a bad idea, I need to look that up to be sure, the other examples I'm pretty sure about.

Misdirection and taking his comments too literally.

There have been several occasions when Apple/Jobs has made a comment that something won't happen which we know means that it will. Besides the "people don't read" comment Jobs also said that they don't know how to make a $500 computer. It looks like they found a way.

Everything a company says has an unspoken qualifier appended to it: "unless we can make money from it." Nothing in Haggar's posts is remotely true, it's really just just an odd posting he's been doing for years since he won't be back to defend or explain his 'position'.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #181 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

The encryption works fine - what that exploit does is remove the pass code. It doesn't negate the in device encryption or the wipe feature.

Notice, if you watch the video, that he points out the data is decrypted as you copy the data off of the phone. So a wipe on the 3GS does work - the encryption is fine.

Just don't rely on the PIN to protect your phone or your data if you loose physical control of it

Quote:

Yes - but that will probably kill jailbreaking (which I am expecting on 3GS and later hardware with 4.0). Even though Apple never said they would support jailbreaking, when they finally do plug the holes Apple will be the "evil assholes preventing us from doing whatever we want with our hardware" - even though they were never promised that as a feature. Sigh....
post #182 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

I'm sure a MorphieJuicePack, or other variation will be developed and on the market shortly after launch. Besides, 10 hours of continuous use should be enough battery power for anyone.

Meh - my Sanyo eneloop Mobile USB Booster will charge my iPhone two and a half times, and will charge my blackberry (work provided ) twice - and it works with any other USB device I own.

It cost less than $30 at Costco. I wish I would have bought a second one since they haven't had them for some time

The whole battery thing tends to be WAY overblown by extreme use cases that affect less than 5% of users - and are easily solved by something inexpensive like the Sanyo product above.
post #183 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Nope... Just that the hardware was never actually worth US 500.00 to 830.00 in the first place if it can so readily be replaced for US 100.00.

It's Really That Simple -

math is hard
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #184 of 221
Quote:

What exactly was the point to that post?
post #185 of 221
Quote:

So? Things change. I don't believe everything I did earlier in my life, do you?

The problem with Haggar's post is that it's irrelevant to anything being said here. Beside, Jobs did qualify that reading remark.
post #186 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

The encryption works fine - what that exploit does is remove the pass code. It doesn't negate the in device encryption or the wipe feature.

Notice, if you watch the video, that he points out the data is decrypted as you copy the data off of the phone. So a wipe on the 3GS does work - the encryption is fine.

Just don't rely on the PIN to protect your phone or your data if you loose physical control of it

Yes - but that will probably kill jailbreaking (which I am expecting on 3GS and later hardware with 4.0). Even though Apple never said they would support jailbreaking, when they finally do plug the holes Apple will be the "evil assholes preventing us from doing whatever we want with our hardware" - even though they were never promised that as a feature. Sigh....

One of the reasons why the financial industry and government are still leery of the iPhone is because of the possibility of a lost or stolen phone being jailbroken. If Apple wants to get more sales in critical industries, they will have to stop it. It's one reason why WebOS and Android aren't being looked at too favorably in those areas.
post #187 of 221
Quote:

Which has nothing to do with what the post in question was about, being a vague, largely incoherent and apropos of nothing swipe at "Apple defenders" who apparently were anti-video on the iPod et al as well.

On a more general note, how is it that the mods around here are fine with endless, contentless anti-Apple snark driving half the threads into a ditch but see fit to step up to defend same? Is there some kind of terror of being seen as a fan boy enabler on the shitty Apple site so you'd have to hang your head amongst your cooler, Android using friends?
post #188 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Which has nothing to do with what the post in question was about, being a vague, largely incoherent and apropos of nothing swipe at "Apple defenders" who apparently were anti-video on the iPod et al as well.

On a more general note, how is it that the mods around here are fine with endless, contentless anti-Apple snark driving half the threads into a ditch but see fit to step up to defend same? Is there some kind of terror of being seen as a fan boy enabler on the shitty Apple site so you'd have to hang your head amongst your cooler, Android using friends?

I won't defend their posts. But what do you propose we do about them? Some people want us to delete posts that are negative. Do you want that?

As I'm sure you know, I've battled with these people as well. But where would we stop?
post #189 of 221
Quote:

No, but given the relatively short time period between remark and product countering remark, I'd be surprised if they weren't developing said product at the time. As solipsism said, it was probably a fair share of misdirection. And I've seen fans take that misdirection as the truth.

Quote:
The problem with Haggar's post is that it's irrelevant to anything being said here. Beside, Jobs did qualify that reading remark.

I know what you mean, I read the qualification, he was carefully using statistics to give the wrong impression of how things were.
post #190 of 221
Quote:

I won't defend their posts. But what do you propose we do about them? Some people want us to delete posts that are negative. Do you want that?

As I'm sure you know, I've battled with these people as well. But where would we stop?

This is the problem with mods "having an opinion" and discussing in the same forums they post. There is always the assumption that they are biased. In this case, it seems justified. Of course that just makes me a fanboi and can't think for myself.

Frankly, given the negativity toward the iPad and in some cases to Apple in general as espoused by some of the mods it's not surprising that the forums have become a haven for trollers. Besides, what are you guys really doing? Tekstud flaunted his ban for so long it became a joke.

Any forum where mods posted "opinion" in those same forums became a cesspit. Either they agreed with the trouble makers and let them continue their antics to the detriment of the forums or they felt they had to go easy on them to appear unbiased and let them continue their antics to the detriment to the forums.

This is AppleInsider and the community is pro-Apple. A curmudgeon with a moderately low post count is fine, even beneficial or healthy. Someone like iGenius is not. Negativity is fine. Trolling is not.

When you have large numbers of folks telling one or two folks to STFU over multiple pages then you need to take action beyond saying "use the ignore feature". Which is an epic fail because of ALL THE FOLKS TELLING THESE IDIOTS TO STFU OVER MULTIPLE PAGES.

iGenius, DaHarder and Extremeskater have been trolling the forum for months. The mods complete inability to deal with Tekstud have spurred them on to being far more blatant about trolling. After all, they can always come back as DAHARDER for a month or two before getting banned again and then start over with a new handle.
post #191 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I don't have any Android using friends, that's a red herring. I also don't feel I have to see things the way anyone else does. I honestly think a good point was raised, even if the messenger might be dubious.

While we're at it, I was the first or among the first in this thread (after satchmo) to counter the complaints about this program with an explanation:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...9&postcount=15
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...6&postcount=20

Seems convenient to forget that in the heat of a later discussion.
post #192 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Batteries are not the reliability problem these days. Hard drives are - as they've always been. ............ The big improvement in overall reliability will come in the next few years when solid state drives scale up in capacity while becoming more affordable.

Have a SSD in my MBP-best investment I've made. Fast and MBP seems to run cooler than HDD equipped MBP. Only hope that Apple will support SSD's more and add a TRIM command in the OS. Long term use of SSD nearing capacity, speeds decrease. TRIM command will address this issue.

Don't look for SSD prices not to drop soon as there seems to be a shortage of NAND and Apple has a big appetite for NAND see on AI:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ash_deals.html
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
post #193 of 221
Quote:

Just recently returned to this thread--left it because I thought that it was done with and I was reviewing other threads at the time. When I saw Haggar's post using mine as a quote-I thought he was jesting. Sometimes you don't know if the person is serious or not. Agreed that his is irrelevant, main reason that I didn't address it at the time.
post #194 of 221
Quote:

That's one of the reasons for the ignore list (IL). The choice is up to each user whom to ignore. (By the way, none of the people referencing my quote are on my IL.)

One problem with the IL is that you are still left to read the ignored when someone responds to their post. Is there some way when you choose to have someone on your ignore list, where AI can also have the responses to the ignored are also not viewed?
post #195 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

This is AppleInsider and the community is pro-Apple. A curmudgeon with a moderately low post count is fine, even beneficial or healthy. Someone like iGenius is not. Negativity is fine. Trolling is not.

When you have large numbers of folks telling one or two folks to STFU over multiple pages then you need to take action beyond saying "use the ignore feature". Which is an epic fail because of ALL THE FOLKS TELLING THESE IDIOTS TO STFU OVER MULTIPLE PAGES.

iGenius, DaHarder and Extremeskater have been trolling the forum for months. The mods complete inability to deal with Tekstud have spurred them on to being far more blatant about trolling. After all, they can always come back as DAHARDER for a month or two before getting banned again and then start over with a new handle.

The best defense is for the AI community to ignore these people altogether. When you respond to their post, you only encourage them. Try the ignore list--helps but is not perfect. Read my other post just above. Agreed that those listed seem to be the worst, but then you will find some who will defend some of those whom you mentioned.
post #196 of 221
Quote:

No, but given the relatively short time period between remark and product countering remark, I'd be surprised if they weren't developing said product at the time. As solipsism said, it was probably a fair share of misdirection. And I've seen fans take that misdirection as the truth.

It's certainly possibly, but there was no evidence that people were interested in watching video on a small handheld device at the time. There were a lot of them out there, and even though some looked good, they didn't sell.

Quote:
I know what you mean, I read the qualification, he was carefully using statistics to give the wrong impression of how things were.

The book industry wouldn't have disagreed with him privately, even though they weren't happy about it being said so publicly. Book sales had been going down for years. The feeling at the major book fairs over the past few years was a sense of desperation.
post #197 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

This is the problem with mods "having an opinion" and discussing in the same forums they post. There is always the assumption that they are biased. In this case, it seems justified. Of course that just makes me a fanboi and can't think for myself.

Frankly, given the negativity toward the iPad and in some cases to Apple in general as espoused by some of the mods it's not surprising that the forums have become a haven for trollers. Besides, what are you guys really doing? Tekstud flaunted his ban for so long it became a joke.

Any forum where mods posted "opinion" in those same forums became a cesspit. Either they agreed with the trouble makers and let them continue their antics to the detriment of the forums or they felt they had to go easy on them to appear unbiased and let them continue their antics to the detriment to the forums.

If you go to sites such as Ars Technica, you'll find admins such as Caesar, mods, writers, etc, participating as well. The have also modded the same forums as they were in. They've kept a lower profile more recently than in the past though.

It isn't an inability to deal with these people, it's a reluctance to exhibit a dampening effect upon the debate. You think it's a simple solution because you have no responsibility to execute it.

Here, most, or possibly, all the mods were members first.

If you became a mod, how would you handle it? And don't answer saying that you wouldn't do it, it's just a case of curiosity.
post #198 of 221
Quote:

Have a SSD in my MBP-best investment I've made. Fast and MBP seems to run cooler than HDD equipped MBP. Only hope that Apple will support SSD's more and add a TRIM command in the OS. Long term use of SSD nearing capacity, speeds decrease. TRIM command will address this issue.

Don't look for SSD prices not to drop soon as there seems to be a shortage of NAND and Apple has a big appetite for NAND see on AI:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ash_deals.html

How are you dealing with the slowdown?

It's not when the SSD begins to fill up that it begins to slowdown. It's extended use. You can have your drive 25% full constantly, adding and removing files, but it will begin to slowdown seriously anyway because of the way SSD's work.
post #199 of 221
Quote:

That's one of the reasons for the ignore list (IL). The choice is up to each user whom to ignore. (By the way, none of the people referencing my quote are on my IL.)

One problem with the IL is that you are still left to read the ignored when someone responds to their post. Is there some way when you choose to have someone on your ignore list, where AI can also have the responses to the ignored are also not viewed?

Not that I know of.
post #200 of 221
Quote:

The book industry wouldn't have disagreed with him privately, even though they weren't happy about it being said so publicly. Book sales had been going down for years. The feeling at the major book fairs over the past few years was a sense of desperation.

Declining, yes, but when SJ said that, I looked up the size of the US publishing industry, and it was still approximately the size of the movie and music industries combined.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple to replace iPads in need of new battery for $99