or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple to replace iPads in need of new battery for $99
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple to replace iPads in need of new battery for $99 - Page 2

post #41 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

....and faster.

The 'week' is just to cover their a** for the back-and-forth shipping time. It'll probably be much sooner than that.

It would be really cool if you could just walk into the Apple store, and walk out with a new device. Maybe they will stock some refurbs at local stores when possible so this could be done.
post #42 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdunn View Post

Apple reminds you to sync your info before you send the device in for service.
Hmmm... battery dead? Sync that thing! Then send it in. Right

Hint: AC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdunn View Post

We all know that absolutely all Apple employees would never be involved in harvesting personal data.

Check under your bed lately? You never know who could be lurking there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdunn View Post

'Never' is somewhat absolute. Not been an issue for a lot of, or most, people... is perhaps more accurate. It's an issue for at least 9% in the one survey and they probably haven't even had a failure yet... or else 9% -have- had a failure.

Cite please. O/w, do the decent thing and retract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdunn View Post

Anyone think they're not going to get a refurbed replacement unit? Or that Apple won't make a small profit on the $100+ exchange?

Of course they will. They are not a nonprofit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdunn View Post


So slim it can't be replaceable? another absolute. If I had to choose between an extra millimeter or three, and a replaceable battery... I'd choose replaceable. We're not talking about .25 inch vs 1.25 inch, or 3 ozs vs 30. If I had to send it in for $100 replacement... I'd be looking at competing devices.

You're not Apple. And thank God for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdunn View Post


This isn't a selling point, so not very smart.

Apple is doomed!
post #43 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglavin View Post

It would be really cool if you could just walk into the Apple store, and walk out with a new device. Maybe they will stock some refurbs at local stores when possible so this could be done.

I have no doubt that Apple will make that happen, if all that was involved for the return/exchange is what was described in the article. I imagine the issue would be whether there are any battery diagnostics involved (e.g., to make sure the person is telling the truth, e.g., not just returning a scratched iPad) and whether stores have the requisite hardware/capabilities.
post #44 of 221
Wow... when my friend's battery on her netbook died, they told her too bad(in so many words).
post #45 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I have no doubt that Apple will make that happen, if all that was involved for the return/exchange is what was described in the article. I imagine the issue would be whether there are any battery diagnostics involved (e.g., to make sure the person is telling the truth, e.g., not just returning a scratched iPad) and whether stores have the requisite hardware/capabilities.

Yeah, and given that you are essentially paying the refurb fee, it shouldn't really matter whether or not one is telling the truth about the battery.
post #46 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

With the unibody MBP the design of the internal battery removing all of the structure needed for exchangeable batteries allowed for a larger battery with longer battery life.
http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/features.html
click on "Breakthrough Battery"

yes, that's what I am saying exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdunn View Post

Apple reminds you to sync your info before you send the device in for service.
Hmmm... battery dead? Sync that thing! Then send it in. Right.

We all know that absolutely all Apple employees would never be involved in harvesting personal data.

'Never' is somewhat absolute. Not been an issue for a lot of, or most, people... is perhaps more accurate. It's an issue for at least 9% in the one survey and they probably haven't even had a failure yet... or else 9% -have- had a failure.

Anyone think they're not going to get a refurbed replacement unit? Or that Apple won't make a small profit on the $100+ exchange?

So slim it can't be replaceable? another absolute. If I had to choose between an extra millimeter or three, and a replaceable battery... I'd choose replaceable. We're not talking about .25 inch vs 1.25 inch, or 3 ozs vs 30. If I had to send it in for $100 replacement... I'd be looking at competing devices.

This isn't a selling point, so not very smart.

Ok then, how many e-ink readers have user replaceable batteries? Since you are so smart.
post #47 of 221
Q: How many here have had to get a new iPhone or iPod Touch battery out of warranty?

Apple's tech uses 1000 charges and since it can go 10 hours on a single charge you'd have to use it every day for 3 years straight before you'd get to 80%. Sure, they have to have a system in place, but It seems unlikely to me that most who need a new battery are likely going to fall under a free replacement from a faulty battery.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #48 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

The only way for this devices to be as slim and yield such long battery life is to have an integrated battery, there's simply no other way to do this with a replaceable battery. So your point is irrelevant.

Take a look at the Droid which has replaceable battery and a keyboard and is only 1.4mm thicker. The Nexus one with a removable battery is 0.8mm thinner. And the best looking of the lot, the HTC Legend, with a unibody shell and a neat spring battery cover is 0.9mm thinner. And they all have roughly the same battery life as the iPhone with multi-tasking and better displays.
post #49 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

....and faster.

The 'week' is just to cover their a** for the back-and-forth shipping time. It'll probably be much sooner than that.

Every time I've sent my Macs in for a repair they've always fixed it and shipped it off the day they received it. That is fixing it, this would just be a swap so it shouldn't be any longer.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #50 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Q: How many here have had to get a new iPhone or iPod Touch battery out of warranty?

Apple's tech uses 1000 charges and since it can go 10 hours on a single charge you'd have to use it every day for 3 years straight before you'd get to 80%. Sure, they have to have a system in place, but It seems unlikely to me that most who need a new battery are likely going to fall under a free replacement from a faulty battery.

This is an excellent point. I charge my iphone 3g every night and it is about 15 months old without any noticeable degradation in battery capacity.
post #51 of 221
I see this as Apple 'skating to where the puck is going to be' again. The computing power to electrical power ratio is improving at a decent pace; internal components are getting smaller while the overall form factor has no reason to shrink further allowing more battery space; and battery technology itself is improving at a slowish but steady rate. Within a few years I can see this being the standard model across the whole consumer electronics industry, as the originally installed battery will outlast the life/usefulness of the device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdunn View Post

We all know that absolutely all Apple employees would never be involved in harvesting personal data.

Now that is a good point. Perhaps the advice should read 'Sync your data then erase the SSD before returning to Apple'. Incidentally, does anyone know how totally erasing data from a SSD compares to the multiple overwrites required to fully secure a hard drive?
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
post #52 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdunn View Post

Apple reminds you to sync your info before you send the device in for service.
Hmmm... battery dead? Sync that thing! Then send it in. Right..

Plug it in.
post #53 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

No one ever said that it 'was a bad deal', but it does lead one to believe that the very same device one pays some US 500.00 to 830.00 actually only has a value of US 100.00, given that that's all it cost to replace the entire device.

It's As Simple As That

no it's not. you're really not seeing it? they're not throwing away the ipads with bad batteries. lots of good stuff in there will be kept.
post #54 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

Take a look at the Droid which has replaceable battery and a keyboard and is only 1.4mm thicker. The Nexus one with a removable battery is 0.8mm thinner. And the best looking of the lot, the HTC Legend, with a unibody shell and a neat spring battery cover is 0.9mm thinner. And they all have roughly the same battery life as the iPhone with multi-tasking and better displays.

Excuse me do any of these batteries power a 9.7" ips display for ten hours of usage?
post #55 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

The only way for this devices to be as slim and yield such long battery life is to have an integrated battery, there's simply no other way to do this with a replaceable battery. So your point is irrelevant.

People have said you can't get thinner than an iPhone if you don't have a non-replaceable battery.

They were proved dead-wrong with that idiotic assumption.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
post #56 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdunn View Post

If I had to choose between an extra millimeter or three, and a replaceable battery... I'd choose replaceable. We're not talking about .25 inch vs 1.25 inch, or 3 ozs vs 30.

If I had to choose...?

We can all play that game and we'd all have made it at least a little differently to suit our specific needs. If you think it's a deal breaker for many and you can do better there is nothing stopping you or anyone else from making a better tablet, but it seems that with 9 years of iDevices that the removable battery is a pretty much a foolish argument for a consumer device.

I've never had to replace on the spot and the other alternatives for increasing the battery life and charging the device are considerably better than having to swap out batteries. Same goes with the newer Mac notebooks.

Quote:
If I had to send it in for $100 replacement... I'd be looking at competing devices.

So the customer has had an iPad for a few years. A device that they've spent at least $500 on the make it or break situation is that an aging device that has been updated several times over is now requiring a whopping $100 for a new battery? Is the battery not working at all? How old is this iPad in your scenario? I've had Mac batteries replaced over 3 years old and well out of warranty for free because they were faulty so I can't see how this would be any different.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #57 of 221
There are people that are surprised by this?

What is the logic again? Oh yeah: If you want to own the best, it will cost ya!
post #58 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

People have said you can't get thinner than an iPhone if you don't have a non-replaceable battery.

They were proved dead-wrong with that idiotic assumption.

Are you serious these machines have been released 3 years after the original iphone, battery tec has made some leaps...way to compare...
post #59 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

No one ever said that it 'was a bad deal', but it does lead one to believe that the very same device one pays some US 500.00 to 830.00 actually only has a value of US 100.00, given that that's all it cost to replace the entire device.

Huh? If you think they are taking the iPad you sent in and tossing it in the trash....

Quote:
It's As Simple As That

It's as simple as you are pretty ignorant on how things work in the real world or you are trolling for controversy.
post #60 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

People have said you can't get thinner than an iPhone if you don't have a non-replaceable battery.

They were proved dead-wrong with that idiotic assumption.

I should hope that by 2010 Apple has taught the industry its lesson when it comes to moving parts, sliding covers, and tinker-toy engineering.

http://droidie.com/2009/11/20/the-dr...cover-problem/

Under normal usage, iDevices rarely if ever need their batteries replaced. There is absolutely no reason for a removable battery given today's battery technology.
post #61 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

To You...

I have an iPod (dock connector) that was purchased in 2003. The original, non-replceable, battery is still going strong after 7 years and holds a charge for several hours. So no, it's not an issue.
post #62 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdunn View Post

So slim it can't be replaceable? another absolute. If I had to choose between an extra millimeter or three, and a replaceable battery... I'd choose replaceable. We're not talking about .25 inch vs 1.25 inch, or 3 ozs vs 30. If I had to send it in for $100 replacement... I'd be looking at competing devices.

Go for it. In the mean time I will take the slimmer, stronger and lighter device with the integrated battery. If the battery does need replacement I'll take it to Apple or do it myself. It's doubtful will have to worry about it, though. My 20GB 2nd generation iPod works just fine after years of use, my fifth generation iPod video that I still use, and of course my iPhone.

A friend wanted to upgrade her iPod so we slipped a hard drive and larger battery in there while we were at it - a pretty simple process.

Quote:
This isn't a selling point, so not very smart.

It's simply not an issue for the vast majority of people and I sincerely doubt out it's even a factor in a buying decision for those who would actually every buy the product (as apposed to those who troll internet forums and fret about non-existant problems for products they would never buy in the first place).

Oh, and as for data - I think it will be safe to assume the iPad will be like the 3GS and all content encrypted - I would just do a restore on it before sending it on. That erases the encryption key for the rest of the device thus making the rest of the data on it inaccessible. Not a big deal, and part of the instructions on the page.
post #63 of 221
Pls stop quoting trolls.

This a great move and exactly how it should be, for iPads and iPhones, and iPods alike. These batteries rarely need replacing, and when they do, you immediately get a new device. Awesome.
post #64 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Really?

So I pay US 830.00 for a device that can be replaced for a mere US 100.00, and all's Even -Steven - \

How do you figure that?

Say you bought the 64GB 3G iPad for 829.00, and you just paid Apple $100.00 for "replacement" battery and you get another "new" same make and model iPad.

Apple replaces battery and sells your original same make and model iPad that you paid $829.00 online at a refurbished discount price of 15% off retail price, or for around $704.65... add your $100.00 to that and Apple collected $804.65 or only $24.35 less than what they would have gotten for a brand new iPad.

So Apple is out two same make and model iPads, but collected for them, one for $829.00 and the other for $804.65.

Just a scenario, but I don't see Apple incurring that great of a loss... or the iPad being less devalued...

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #65 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If I had to choose...?
I've never had to replace on the spot and the other alternatives for increasing the battery life and charging the device are considerably better than having to swap out batteries. Same goes with the newer Mac notebooks.

Exactly, battery technology ie lithium polymer batteries last longer than the older lithium and NiCad or NiH batteries. Apple makes a good argument that removing the battery compartment in the MBP for exchangeable batteries has allowed them to use larger LiP batteries with longer battery life. I suspect that they also ported over the adaptive charging that is used in the new MBP that will increase battery longevity. According to Apple the battery--at least in the MBP should last four to five years. Within that time you might be looking for an upgrade in your iPad anyways.

Having a exchangeable battery would have made the iPad more thicker,have less battery life and be heavier. With a 10 hour battery life, how many batteries would you carry?
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
post #66 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Nope... Just that the hardware was never actually worth US 500.00 to 830.00 in the first place if it can so readily be replaced for US 100.00.

It's Really That Simple -

First of all, stop with that "It's really that simple." nonsense. Once is funny. After that it's just annoying.

If you were actually right, it might mean something, but as it stands, it doesn't.

Do you understand anything about business? A product sold for a price, including profit, full warranty costs, and all the other costs involved, isn't worth nearly that much as a used device to the company, because all of those costs have been paid for with the sale of the new unit. So when Apple takes yours in, replaces the battery, and refurbishes it, they can sell it for more than half the new cost, and still make some money on it. So the $99 bucks pays for the work done to get one back to you, while the old one is now resold for one half to two thirds of the new prices. The only additional cost to Apple is the cost of selling, and the warrantee.

If they use some for warrantee replacements, the same thing applies. Those units have to come from somewhere.

Apple breaks even, or makes a few extra bucks per unit, and you get a factory refurbished one to replace your used one, in addition to a new battery.

You explanation is simply wrong.
post #67 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Exactly, battery technology ie lithium polymer batteries last longer than the older lithium and NiCad or NiH batteries. Apple makes a good argument that removing the battery compartment in the MBP for exchangeable batteries has allowed them to use larger LiP batteries with longer battery life. I suspect that they also ported over the adaptive charging that is used in the new MBP that will increase battery longevity. According to Apple the battery--at least in the MBP should last four to five years. Within that time you might be looking for an upgrade in your iPad anyways.

Having a exchangeable battery would have made the iPad more thicker,have less battery life and be heavier. With a 10 hour battery life, how many batteries would you carry?

Not that my reply is iPad specific but my 'el cheapo' cell phone battery of six years ago is still recharging fine. If todays battery technology is new and improved, I think I would have no worries about the iPad battery replacement program because outside of a faulty battery product to begin with, I doubt I would ever have the need for iPad battery replacement... before time is up and I purchase a new and improved iPad with newer battery technology six to eight years later...

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #68 of 221
Clearly apple is not only showing the quality of its product, but also its poor ability to offer better customer service for a product battery that should work properly. You wouldnt be told to pay for what should be a recall, complete FAIL Apple. Not supporting it
post #69 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdunn View Post

Apple reminds you to sync your info before you send the device in for service.
Hmmm... battery dead? Sync that thing! Then send it in. Right.

We all know that absolutely all Apple employees would never be involved in harvesting personal data.

Unless the battery is shorted, you plug it in and sync it, then go to the system preferences and wipe it. Even if the battery is shorted, you can at least go from a backup that's only a bit older, from the previous sync. If you're that worried about getting data yanked and you can't power it up, you might be able to replace the battery yourself.

Quote:
'Never' is somewhat absolute. Not been an issue for a lot of, or most, people... is perhaps more accurate. It's an issue for at least 9% in the one survey and they probably haven't even had a failure yet... or else 9% -have- had a failure.

Which survey?

Quote:
Anyone think they're not going to get a refurbed replacement unit? Or that Apple won't make a small profit on the $100+ exchange?

Show me a company that isn't making money on replacement batteries.

Quote:
So slim it can't be replaceable? another absolute. If I had to choose between an extra millimeter or three, and a replaceable battery... I'd choose replaceable. We're not talking about .25 inch vs 1.25 inch, or 3 ozs vs 30. If I had to send it in for $100 replacement... I'd be looking at competing devices.

This isn't a selling point, so not very smart.

The issue is durability. Latches, catches and the frame for the battery all take space and all can break. The latch on my previous phone cracked, so I used packing tape to hold the battery in place.
post #70 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdunn View Post

Apple reminds you to sync your info before you send the device in for service.
Hmmm... battery dead? Sync that thing! Then send it in. Right.

We all know that absolutely all Apple employees would never be involved in harvesting personal data.

'Never' is somewhat absolute. Not been an issue for a lot of, or most, people... is perhaps more accurate. It's an issue for at least 9% in the one survey and they probably haven't even had a failure yet... or else 9% -have- had a failure.

Anyone think they're not going to get a refurbed replacement unit? Or that Apple won't make a small profit on the $100+ exchange?

So slim it can't be replaceable? another absolute. If I had to choose between an extra millimeter or three, and a replaceable battery... I'd choose replaceable. We're not talking about .25 inch vs 1.25 inch, or 3 ozs vs 30. If I had to send it in for $100 replacement... I'd be looking at competing devices.

This isn't a selling point, so not very smart.

You should know that the device, like all other competently designed devices, will work with a dead battery as long as it's plugged into the usb port of the computer where you also sync it. If someone waits until the battery is fully dead, that's not too bright.

You should also wipe all personal stuff first. This should always be SOP.

If you don't, then that's not smart. People are people and there's no point in taking chances.

Apple's likely making a small profit on the exchange. I would expect them to. Do companies make a profit on the batteries they sell? I hope so.

Will you get a new unit. Maybe, early on, if there's a problem with an individual battery and not enough referbs are available. But don't expect it.

We keep hearing how desirable replaceable batteries are from a small few. But the truth is that almost no one ever does replace their battery. If this battery is of the same type as the ones in the laptops, then it will be good for 1,000 full recharges. That's at least three years of recharging, possibly four. Most people will have replaced it with another by then.
post #71 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriese1 View Post

Pardon me but doesn't the iPad not release for about another 3 weeks? And already there's a battery issue? What's going to pop up after release?

Haven't you heard? iPads are shutting down spontaneously after 5 minutes of use. And they haven't even been released yet.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #72 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrisrules View Post

Clearly apple is not only showing the quality of its product, but also its poor ability to offer better customer service for a product battery that should work properly. You wouldnt be told to pay for what should be a recall, complete FAIL Apple. Not supporting it

Logic free post.

So if your battery is running down after several years, they should do a recall?

Why do you think manufacturers have replaceable batteries/ Because theirs never go bad after several years? All batteries go bad. Apple is simply giving you a referb with a new battery.
post #73 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The issue is durability. Latches, catches and the frame for the battery all take space and all can break. The latch on my previous phone cracked, so I used packing tape to hold the battery in place.

The Nexus One cover seems pretty good for a phone but that doesn't negate the physical world issues that still remain with any removable panels.


This is how you resolve a Droid battery cover issue...


Took my phone to the Verizon store, and this is their solution.
It's better than what the original rep tried to do, which is put scotch tape on it.
IMO, for a $200 phone, this is unacceptable."

PS: I just noticed the Align Center option is gone. And here I though DaHarder decided to be considerate on his own free will.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #74 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdunn View Post

Apple reminds you to sync your info before you send the device in for service.
Hmmm... battery dead? Sync that thing! Then send it in. Right.

Why not? When you tether it, it draws power from the laptop/desktop. Have you ever used an iPod before?

My 2004 iPod mini with a completely dead battery continues to work in my car because it's plugged in.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #75 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Why not? When you tether it, it draws power from the laptop/desktop. Have you ever used an iPod before?

My 2004 iPod mini with a completely dead battery continues to work in my car because it's plugged in.

Right?! If it won't work plugged in then the battery ain't your biggest issue.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #76 of 221
That is Apple is exchanging the device due to the difficulty of actually removing the battery. This comes to mind because of some patents Apple had submitted a year or two ago that detailed an assembly method that involved bonding everything together to form a unitized unit. This could potentially lead to a stronger iPad.

As to the on going discussion about the value of the iPad well it really doesn't indicate anything. The only thing I have to say is that Apple hasn't given up it's profit margin on the device. In fact I think they are doing really well. So maybe the $99 represents half the cost to produce the unit.


Dave
post #77 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Wow... when my friend's battery on her netbook died, they told her too bad(in so many words).

So this is another way that the iPad makes those netbooks look Sick! Who would ever buy one of those?
post #78 of 221
Could have at least mentioned the fact that the battery is covered for a year. Endgadget did the same thing.
"One who forms a judgement on any point but cannot explain it clearly, might as well never have thought at all on the subject." Pericles
Reply
"One who forms a judgement on any point but cannot explain it clearly, might as well never have thought at all on the subject." Pericles
Reply
post #79 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motlee View Post

Could have at least mentioned the fact that the battery is covered for a year. Endgadget did the same thing.

I would think that is common knowledge since that is the typical warranty time of CE.

However, batteries tend to get a longer, unspoken warranty time since any issues like bloating can potentially lead to a fire or an explosion, or at the very least damage of other parts of the device, which makes Apple et. al very quick to swap them out no questions ask.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #80 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Says a lot about how much the actual hardware is worth... \

Not really. Says more about how much they can expect to recover after refurbishing the original iPad and selling it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple to replace iPads in need of new battery for $99