or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Is being 'right-wing' a mental disorder?

Is being 'right-wing' a mental disorder? - Page 3

post #81 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

When Robertson spouts off you never hear Christians saying that this is not what Christianity is. This is easily testable by a trawl through the archives...whenever he erupts it gets posted here and no Christian here - as far as I am aware - has yet stood up to say he is not acting in the spirit of Christ.

I am sorry I have been away so much. The other week in my Sunday school class I helped out and conducted the class to fill in while our instructor was away for two weeks. I actually raised the Robertson remarks about Haiti and it was not to endorse it I might add.

We were in the book of Job and we learned how not to reply to someone going through harsh times. In Job we find that Job's "friends" Eliphaz, Bildad and Zophar had no clue and basically (and I am paraphrasing greatly here) alluded that Job must have done something really bad to "bring this stuff upon himself" when in fact Job had done nothing to bring on his trials and afflictions which he experienced.

Seems today in our contemporary world not much changes. Even with "proclaimed" Christians.....

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
post #82 of 139
Quote:

So my point is; until they distance themselves then they are by default in the same basket.

But that is not the point I'm trying to make. I don't really care whether they distinguish themselves for the sake of the sanctity of their label, I care about what do I know about this person in the capacity in which I have to deal with them. The label christian (self-identified or otherwise) doesn't always tell me enough. That's my point.

Quote:
Charles Manson is a bad example...he was both mad and Right-wing......

Back in the 60' and 70's, right wing people did not join hippie cults or start communes, they told you to get a haircut and a job or join the army (which also involved getting a haircut and a job ). Right wingers did not embrace the counter-culture or the "Summer of Love", left-wingers did. Charles Manson was very much to the left.

Quote:
The reason I am attracted to alternate history and revisionist memes is because I don't really find the world as it is a suitable place for my personal expression

Well, this doesn't reek of objectivity though. History is what it is, not what you want it to be.

Quote:
Also I hate the status quo and don't really believe anything they say.

Once again, this does not sound like an objective evaluation. Sometimes the "status quo" is right, and to disagree with them because you hate them is emotionalism, not objectivity.
post #83 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

Obama right wing? What? He's somewhere between F. Castro and H. Chavez.

Yes. Barack Obama declares public holidays when he makes an important speech, he wears a military uniform, he has declared private businesses illegal, he has ended the blocade with Cuba, he has impeccable diplomatic ties with Iran and he is giving millions of dollars in aid to the government of Palestine.

Oh, no, wait, he's reformed health care so it's nowhere near as national as Canada, South Africa, Costa Rica and every single nation in Europe.

If you think this makes a communist, I'm just going to have to type some random consonants.

dl;usgdhflk rgiurewhgluerywgiuherwuighrwe

What do they actually TEACH in American schools? Seriously.
post #84 of 139
Quote:

S
The lack of quality on this board has plummeted in tandem with the disappearance of certain posters..

This is absolutely correct.

Yes.
post #85 of 139
Can any Christians, either the rare genuine ones, or the huge majority who use it as a "flag of convenience" point me to a Biblical quote where Jesus, or Paul, or any of the other luminaries of their belief system state that "the Earth is either 6,000, or 10,000 years young?
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #86 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I personally feel sorry for people who clearly were permabanned, come back under a different handle and feel like they are the solution to the problem instead of the cause of it.

Oh look - its the trumptman intimidation and fear 'signature-special' song and dance routine. Of course, you practically just admitted that you are the problem, but hey! - tell us something we dont know!!!

Which pretty much confirms the OP premise - Clearly you have a severe psychological imbalance. Thus we see a fat lethargic middle-aged baby running off to pester mummy Lundy because someone has allegedly done something a little bit naughty. Are you sucking him or what? But lets make it obvious, seeing as youre a bit shy...

Whats funny though is that your supposed winger-position, freedom, democracy, liberty - all that jazz...like segovius says, its the entire opposite...You cant stand freedom, you cant stand POV's. Once your cock-jock was booted out of office, you went full on to destroy, suppress, bait and intimidate the board. Every lever pulled and yanked, and then the hilarious sobbing off to Lundy like a spoilt fat-child that no-one liked at school as soon as you get whif of something you can leverage. Let me humour you a bit

Lundy, Lundy.... marcUK is posting here...Lundy...Lundy...

Strangely for all your bullshit, I was practically the only member here advocating NO change in the rules, and that if you were going to have these regular 'spaz' attacks, which is what prompted nearly everyone to appeal to have you removed...that we should just ignore them. I also went on to say that if we implemented the rules we would end up with a forum that is precisely the pile of shit that we have now...namely trumptman trying to bait and intimidate and dance around the rules to get everyone banned. Oh look.....needless to say, I was right, and obviously I had worked out long ago that you are one sad immature twat that would stoop to new lows to manipulate anything for your 'upside'

Obviously though, it helps if the mod is in your pocket so to speak, as by far the most thinly disguised insults, ad-homs and poison words have come straight from your corner over this last year - all while you shout out at the top of your voice 'ad-hom' -'ad-hom'. Clearly you are fisting Lundy, or he is one dumb fuck to not see what you are doing. For what you've been allowed to get away with I've even wondered if infact 'Trumptman' is the public posting persona of 'Lundy' himself???

Its no wonder you turned out extreme-right. Your kind always do. The weak, the powerless, the scared and the frightened. Always looking to paths to authority to redress the hopeless sense of worthlessness, and pandering to assholes in authority and an psychotic obsession with money - because it numbs the feeling of worthlessness.

Its why you or one of your lackeys will report this post. That feeling of redress that you'll get for 30 seconds, feeling you've fucked over marcUK, because he sees you exactly for the pointless worthless crap you are.

But obviously I dont care, and 30 seconds after your circlejerk buddy bans me, the feelings of being a worthless frightened loser will return to you, and you will feel the need to go after someone else, to provoke, to bait, and further poison the forum, just to make youself feel clever and important for a minute.

Good for you, Fortunately I know that in 20 years time, instead of being a fat middle-aged sociopathic cunt, you'll be a fat old-aged sociopathic cunt, - and thats really the only difference that is going to happen to you (and probably this forum) between 2010 and 2030. Which is why there is no point whatsoever.

Wow Trumptman, ive intentionally given you so many levers to leverage, Im laughing now and will be laughing so hard when I see that ignis fatuus comes up in red type. Be my guest. Confirm your mental illness....

And have a nice day , friend.
[CENTER]Recedite, plebes. Obesa cantavit![/CENTER]
post #87 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

Can any Christians, either the rare genuine ones, or the huge majority who use it as a "flag of convenience" point me to a Biblical quote where Jesus, or Paul, or any of the other luminaries of their belief system state that "the Earth is either 6,000, or 10,000 years young?

Jesus and Paul did not worry about the age of the Earth, it does not matter to a persons immortal soul one way or another the age of the Earth.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #88 of 139
Taking suggestions for my next alais, please leave suggestions on a postcard and forward them to Lundy....
post #89 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Jesus and Paul did not worry about the age of the Earth, it does not matter to a persons immortal soul one way or another the age of the Earth.

I know this is going further off on a tangent, but it might matter in a person's worldview whether they in fact have a soul, much less an immortal one. What if the matter were settled and the existence of a soul could be scientifically disproved?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #90 of 139
And there it is, less than 10 minutes after the post, Lundy appears....what a humourous pile of steaming shit the right-wing is?
post #91 of 139
Quote:

Which is why it is top of the Fundie agenda and the only time they are actually quiet about it is when they are gay-bashing, agitating for war with any Muslim country still not raped and pillaged, screaming about abortion or shoving their foot in your door so they can hit you over the head with a racist and/or Islamophobic Chick tract.

Note: the word 'Fundie' here applies to Xians with the above mentioned characteristics and should in no way shape or form be confused with the behaviour of someone aiming to follow the example of Jesus Christ.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #92 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I know this is going further off on a tangent, but it might matter in a person's worldview whether they in fact have a soul, much less an immortal one. What if the matter were settled and the existence of a soul could be scientifically disproved?

Did Jesus even believe in a soul? I do not believe that any Biblical verse can be produced that proves he did.

Alternatively there are many verses which could be adduced that prove he was in fact a Rabbi and a follower of Jewish law.

And it can be proved that Judaism at the time did not in fact believe in an afterlife.
post #93 of 139
Quote:

Did Jesus even believe in a soul? I do not believe that any Biblical verse can be produced that proves he did.

Alternatively there are many verses which could be adduced that prove he was in fact a Rabbi and a follower of Jewish law.

And it can be proved that Judaism at the time did not in fact believe in an afterlife.

Interesting. I'm no biblical scholar, but I'd be interested to know when the concept came into being... perhaps a concept lifted from one of the many co-opted religions throughout history?

UPDATE: Well, seek and ye shall find...

Quote:
The Modern English soul derived from Old English sáwol, sáwel (first attested to in the 8th century poem Beowulf v. 2820 and in the Vespasian Psalter 77.50), cognate to other Germanic terms for the same idea, including Gothic saiwala, Old High German sêula, sêla, Old Saxon sêola, Old Low Franconian sêla, sîla, Old Norse sála. Further etymology of the Germanic word is uncertain. A common suggestion is a connection with the word sea, and from this evidence alone, it has been speculated that the early Germanic peoples believed that the spirits of deceased rested at the bottom of the sea or similar. A more recent suggestion[6] connects it with a root for "binding", Germanic *sailian (OE sēlian, OHG seilen), related to the notion of being "bound" in death, and the practice of ritually binding or restraining the corpse of the deceased in the grave to prevent his or her return as a ghost.
The word is in any case clearly an adaptation by early missionaries to the Germanic peoples, in particular Ulfilas, apostle to the Goths (4th century) of a native Germanic concept, coined as a translation of Greek ψυχή psychē "life, spirit, consciousness".
The Greek word is derived from a verb "to cool, to blow" and hence refers to the vital breath, the animating principle in humans and other animals, as opposed to σῶμα (soma) meaning "body". It could refer to a ghost or spirit of the dead in Homer, and to a more philosophical notion of an immortal and immaterial essence left over at death since Pindar. Latin anima figured as a translation of ψυχή since Terence. It occurs juxtaposed to σῶμα e.g. in Matthew 10:28

Then there's this and this bit of historical context...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #94 of 139
Quote:

Interesting. I'm no biblical scholar, but I'd be interested to know when the concept came into being... perhaps a concept lifted from one of the many co-opted religions throughout history?

UPDATE: Well, seek and ye shall find...

Yes..was going to post...Plato and Socrates.

Interestingly in that article it shows that a main Christian belief was (is in terms of modern theology) that the soul is NOT immortal but re-animated at the resurrection of the body.

Plato seemed to believe in reincarnation (which obviously rules out somewhat an afterlife in the classical Xian form) and early Christians - particularly the Celtic Church - also believed this.

In fact the Celtic Church was a very sane rational movement in many respects before 'real' Xianity nipped it in the bud
post #95 of 139
Quote:

Undoubtedly. And there is no mention of it in the Bible.

What is the obsession that "Christians" have about the Earth being 6000 years old? Whose word, or belief system are they following as regards this, and other nonsensical fundamentalist "Tourettisms"?
post #96 of 139
Quote:

Undoubtedly. And there is no mention of it in the Bible.

What is the obsession that "Christians" have about the Earth being 6000 years old? Whose word, or belief system are they following as regards this, and other nonsensical fundamentalist "Tourettisms"?

Quote:
The Ussher chronology is a 17th-century chronology of the history of the world formulated from a literal reading of the Bible by James Ussher, the Anglican Archbishop of Armagh (in what is now Northern Ireland).

The chronology is sometimes called the Ussher-Lightfoot chronology because John Lightfoot published a similar chronology in 16421644. This, however, is a misnomer, as the chronology is based on Ussher's work alone and not that of Lightfoot. Ussher deduced that the first day of creation began at nightfall preceding Sunday, October 23, 4004 BC, in the proleptic Julian calendar, near the autumnal equinox. Lightfoot similarly deduced that Creation began at nightfall near the autumnal equinox, but in the year 3929 BC.

Ussher's proposed date of 4004 BC differed somewhat from other Biblically based estimates, such as those of Bede (3952 BC), Ussher's near-contemporary Scaliger (3949 BC), Johannes Kepler (3992 BC) or Sir Isaac Newton (c. 4000 BC).[1] Ussher's specific choice of starting year may have been influenced by the then-widely-held belief that the Earth's potential duration was 6,000 years (4,000 before the birth of Christ and 2,000 after), corresponding to the six days of Creation, on the grounds that "one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day" (2 Peter 3:8). This view had been almost completely abandoned by 1997, six thousand years after 4004 BC. Today some biblical scholars, as well as a number of literalist evangelical Christians, believe in a literal interpretation of the Bible calling for a 6000-year-old Earth.[2]

Ussher Chronology
post #97 of 139
Quote:

Ussher Chronology

Yes, I have brought this up on previous threads.. I was just trying to get an explanation from a Christian... someone who believes that Ussher's "begathematics" reflected reality.
post #98 of 139
Quote:

Yes, I have brought this up on previous threads.. I was just trying to get an explanation from a Christian... someone who believes that Ussher's "begathematics" reflected reality.

Oh ok...right....well, good luck with that!!

post #99 of 139
Is that a new feature of the board?
post #100 of 139
Food for lack of thought -

"Of the ten most overweight and obese states, only one – Michigan – voted for Obama. What’s more, the figures on the other end are just as skewed. When it comes to the nation’s ten least overweight and obese states, Utah is the only one that went for McCain.

If you assign each state an ‘obesity number’ based on it’s ranking in the list below, with West Virginia, the nation’s most overweight and obese state, given a 50… Alabama a 49… down to Massachusetts, the nation’s trimmest state, given a 1 – and then compared the average obesity number given to states that voted for McCain to the average number given to those that voted for Obama, one sees a telling correlation: the average red state scored a 33.6 while the average blue state scored a 19.1. This is substantial considering that if there were no correlation between a state’s rate of overweight and obese citizens and their voting preference, you would expect the average obesity number of both red and blue states to be around 25."
~ http://www.statemaster.com/graph/hea...ty-rate#source

~ http://www.letsmove.gov/
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

post #101 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

Yes. Barack Obama declares public holidays when he makes an important speech, he wears a military uniform, he has declared private businesses illegal, he has ended the blocade with Cuba, he has impeccable diplomatic ties with Iran and he is giving millions of dollars in aid to the government of Palestine.

Oh, no, wait, he's reformed health care so it's nowhere near as national as Canada, South Africa, Costa Rica and every single nation in Europe.

If you think this makes a communist, I'm just going to have to type some random consonants.

dl;usgdhflk rgiurewhgluerywgiuherwuighrwe

What do they actually TEACH in American schools? Seriously.

B. Obama has given a speech during the national holiday that is the SuperBowl and during other important events. He does seem to wear the same suit over and over again. He has gone after banks, mortgage institutions, health insurance companies, and Wall Street in general. You do know GM now stands for Government Motors, correct? He has begun normalizing relations with Cuba, and wants to sit down with Iran's leaders. He has offered $900 million in aid to Palestine.
Don't know what 3rd world country you reside in or get your news from, but he certainly has not reformed health care.
post #102 of 139
Quote:

How do you know?

post #103 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

How do you know?

Exactly. I love it when people pretend to know what people a couple of thousand years ago were thinking.

Also in the case of 6,000 years if it doesn't matter to them why claim something that very obviously isn't true?
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #104 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Exactly. I love it when people pretend to know what people a couple of thousand years ago were thinking.

Also if it doesn't matter to them why claim something that obviously isn't true?

Too right. And maybe it's critically important that we developed over millions of years, star dust, so to speak, that we are in that sense a part of something eternal, connected in that way to the beginning of time.

post #105 of 139
Quote:

How do you know?

God told me so.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #106 of 139
Quote:

God told me so.

He lied to you then.

post #107 of 139
Quote:

He lied to you then.

You are going to make baby Jesus cry...
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #108 of 139
Quote:

He lied to you then.

On a serious note. How do you know they did?
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #109 of 139
Quote:

He lied to you then.

When he said "God" he meant to say "Steve".

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #110 of 139
Quote:

Too right. And maybe it's critically important that we developed over millions of years, star dust, so to speak, that we are in that sense a part of something eternal, connected in that way to the beginning of time.

So the amount of time involved is more important than the person?
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #111 of 139
Quote:

When he said "God" he meant to say "Steve".

Maybe, and it is possible that Steve might have RDF'd me... Now I am confused... What were we talking about?

iPad anyone?
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #112 of 139
Quote:

On a serious note. How do you know they did?

On a serious note I don't and wouldn't claim to

post #113 of 139
Quote:

So the amount of time involved is more important than the person?

What the bleep do you think we're made out of? Where did that 90% water come from? This is just too ridiculous to even argue about. LOL.

post #114 of 139
Quote:

I did not say it did not matter to someone. I did say that the age of the earth would not affect a persons soul. Whether a person actually believes they have a soul or not is not critical. Substitute "It does not matter to a persons spiritual well-being" in the phrase instead.

Quote:

He was a teacher. He did follow Jewish law, but saw it not as the overreaching club that leaders of the day used it for, but as something to protect and guide those that followed it.

Judaism at the time also believed that you could not heal someone on the Sabbath as that was against Gods law. And?
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #115 of 139
Quote:

What the bleep do you think we're made out of? Where did that 90% water come from? This is just too ridiculous to even argue about. LOL.

Not arguing, except in the "debate" sense of the word. Go ahead, answer your question. And then tie it back to your premise that the amount of time is somehow more important than the person involved.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #116 of 139
Quote:

the amount of time is somehow more important than the person involved.

I didn't make that statement or even suggest it is and I don't even know what you mean by it. Can you explain it a bit more?

post #117 of 139
Quote:

I didn't make that statement or even suggest it is and I don't even know what you mean by it. Can you explain it a bit more?

My question was regarding this statement you originally posted.

Quote:

I asked if the time was somehow more critical than the person to which you replied:

Quote:

To which I reiterated my question only this time with a presumption due to the response I received.

Not arguing, except in the "debate" sense of the word. Go ahead, answer your question. And then tie it back to your premise that the amount of time is somehow more important than the person involved.

Which brings us to now. Do you think that the time involved is somehow more important than the person. My assertion was and is basically, the age of the Earth (most likely) did not matter in the scope of what was important to them at the time. That scope was people.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #118 of 139
Quote:

My question was regarding this statement you originally posted.

I asked if the time was somehow more critical than the person to which you replied:

To which I reiterated my question only this time with a presumption due to the response I received.

Which brings us to now. Do you think that the time involved is somehow more important than the person. My assertion was and is basically, the age of the Earth (most likely) did not matter in the scope of what was important to them at the time. That scope was people.

If the matter that makes us up as humans has been around since the beginning of the universe then I'd say that may well have something to do with our understanding of what it is to have a soul. It's not that the age of the earth/universe is necessarily important to know and nor is it that that makes the time frame more important than the person, instead it highlights that they very well may be linked.

post #119 of 139
Quote:

If the matter that makes us up as humans has been around since the beginning of the universe then I'd say that may well have something to do with our understanding of what it is to have a soul. It's not that the age of the earth/universe is necessarily important to know and nor is it that that makes the time frame more important than the person, instead it highlights that they very well may be linked.

Ok, that neither adds to nor detracts from the point that I was making. So why challenge my statement with this comment? What point were you trying to make?
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #120 of 139
Quote:

Ok, that neither adds to nor detracts from the point that I was making. So why challenge my statement with this comment? What point were you trying to make?

It goes against what you were saying because Jesus et al. may have wondered about it and also you are saying it doesn't matter. I think it's highly likely their intrinsically linked and you are saying that they are not linked. How can you be so sure?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Is being 'right-wing' a mental disorder?