or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › February Mac sales up 43%, Apple on track for 2.9M in quarter
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

February Mac sales up 43%, Apple on track for 2.9M in quarter

post #1 of 53
Thread Starter 
New retail sales data shows Apple has continued to have strong Mac and iPod sales at the start of 2010, with February's numbers showing significant year-over-year growth.

Analyst Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray issued a note to investors Monday afternoon detailing the latest retail sales data from the NPD Group. Mac sales in the month of February were up 43 percent for the month, which followed a similarly strong January increase of 36 percent. In all, Mac sales for the first two months of 2010 are up 39 percent year over year.

The latest retail data suggests that Apple will sell between 2.8 million and 2.9 million Macs in the March quarter, which is above Wall Street's consensus of 2.7 million Macs.

Strong Mac sales were accompanied by better-than-expected iPod sales as well, influencing Munster to call February an "impressive" month for Apple. iPod sales in the first two months of 2010 were up 7 percent, an increase in sales for the first time in over a year.

The numbers are particularly favorable for Apple because 2009 got off to a slow start, putting the Cupertino, Calif., company in a position to exceed when compared to the soft numbers from a year ago. In February 2009, Mac sales dipped 16 percent year-over-year.

The data also shows that the average selling price of Macs is down 10 percent year-over-year, while iPod prices were up 3 percent from the same frame in 2009.



The latest NPD numbers have provided even more confidence to Munster and Piper Jaffray, who have called 2010 the "Year of the Mac." He said Monday that the easing comparisons from 2009 represent a buying opportunity for investors.



Apple of late has consistently delivered blowout quarterly results. During the three-month holiday frame, the company sold a record 3.36 million Macs, helping it to achieve a 50 percent spike in profits. Another 2.9 million Macs for the first quarter of calendar 2010 would be a very strong start for Apple.

Piper Jaffray has maintained its overweight rating for AAPL stock, and a 12-month price target of $284.
post #2 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Piper Jaffray has maintained its overweight rating for AAPL stock, and a 12-month price target of $284.

It has been predicted that as the Recession wears on, people will become more interested in luxury goods like Macintoshes, because they're stopping spending on little unnecessary things.

In my case, a Mac is more than a luxury. I've gone through a series of PCs that I have hated, because Windows just sucks and Linux is forever unfinished and neglected. A Mac is something I could stick with.... if only Apple would announce the new MBPs so that I could get on with buying one.
post #3 of 53
Quote:
February Mac sales up 43%


Good, means that Apple won't be replacing their UI on Mac's with the iPad UI.

Mature computer users need a challenge and remain compatible with the Windows of the world, the iPad UI is just too easy.
post #4 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moloch View Post

A Mac is something I could stick with.... if only Apple would announce the new MBPs so that I could get on with buying one.

As long as the current one's are selling great, there is little pressure to update them...

Bummer, because I too am waiting for a refresh. I don't have a Mac now and would really like to get back to them.

The last time I used a Mac regularly was the Mac II I had on my desk in the 80's.
post #5 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by debusoh View Post

As long as the current one's are selling great, there is little pressure to update them...

Bummer, because I too am waiting for a refresh. I don't have a Mac now and would really like to get back to them.

The last time I used a Mac regularly was the Mac II I had on my desk in the 80's.

I do think Apple wanted a resolution to the Intel/Nvidia wars. Apple couldn't really take a step back in integrated chipsets or battery life, which also meant they couldn't move forward to the i7/i5/i3. Hopefully the Optimus technology is enticing enough for Apple to move forward with Nvidia gpus running this technology on all new MBP's.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #6 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moloch View Post

It has been predicted that as the Recession wears on, people will become more interested in luxury goods like Macintoshes, because they're stopping spending on little unnecessary things.

Actually, Mac's are cost effective because they last so long.

The hardware is good and the OS doesn't get malware.

The thing with Mac's is the storage, Apple makes it hard to access the hard drive to upgrade it so one can keep using the same machine much longer.

Quote:
In my case, a Mac is more than a luxury. I've gone through a series of PCs that I have hated, because Windows just sucks and Linux is forever unfinished and neglected. A Mac is something I could stick with.... if only Apple would announce the new MBPs so that I could get on with buying one.

No argument about PC's or Windows, most are total and absolute garbage.

Ubuntu makes for a very good and secure netbook OS as it's permission based copy of Unix, it can be themed to look like XP or even OS X.

It has Firefox which gives you a great browser and all those plug-ins, there is plenty of free software like OpenOffice too. I agree though it's lacking on development, much like OS X is lacking compared to Windows. It's all about market share.

The theme for Ubuntu to look like OS X is called Mac4lin, a little difficult and outdated.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mac4lin/


The theme for XP (scary too) is here and it does everything in about a few seconds. Great for those who are mentally stuck in XP and need a simple secure familiar machine.

http://ubuntu.online02.com/node/14


I too am waiting for the MacBook Pro updates, I hope Apple doesn't pull a whopper of a change on us neither.

I hope they are working on eliminating the glare and reflections while preserving the clarity of the glass screens. Also a way to user remove the hard drive. I've had to upgrade mine twice already in three years. It's costs plenty to do something that shouldn't really cost much more than the drive itself.
post #7 of 53
Apple is doomed!
post #8 of 53
like i said before, the dip in iPhone sales is offset by the increase in iPod sales and this article confirms it.

people satisfied with their cell phones are buying iPod Touch's instead.

great news for Apple.
post #9 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

The thing with Mac's is the storage, Apple makes it hard to access the hard drive to upgrade it so one can keep using the same machine much longer.

It depends on the model. The hard drive in my MacBook (Late 2006) was really easy to upgrade.
post #10 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I do think Apple wanted a resolution to the Intel/Nvidia wars. Apple couldn't really take a step back in integrated chipsets or battery life, which also meant they couldn't move forward to the i7/i5/i3. Hopefully the Optimus technology is enticing enough for Apple to move forward with Nvidia gpus running this technology on all new MBP's.

This is one of the best reads explaining why the MBP haven't been upgraded in quite a while. Until these issues are worked out, may be some time before there's an upgrade--despite the rumors.
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
post #11 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

It depends on the model. The hard drive in my MacBook (Late 2006) was really easy to upgrade.

There are a few more screws to get to the MB HDD, but only a handful and one a minute or two more effort. The MBPs are now much more accessible than they were before in many ways. It's not like people need to swap HDD and RAM out on a daily basis.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #12 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

This is one of the best reads explaining why the MBP haven't been upgraded in quite a while. Until these issues are worked out, may be some time before there's an upgrade--despite the rumors.

If Apple is waiting for nVidia and Intel to settle things we won't see a new MBP until 2013.

I think they're taking their sweet time because sales have been so good. They simply don't feel any pressure to upgrade the machines.
post #13 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

Actually, Mac's are cost effective because they last so long.

The hardware is good and the OS doesn't get malware.

'Ain't that the truth! A couple of months ago I had to finally retire my G4 iMac after over eight years of sterling service. It was used pretty much every day, and had to do quite a bit of heavy lifting in its time, but as the saying goes 'it just worked'! Eight years of internet use, without any AV software and not one single piece of malware to blight my life.

In the end it was the fluorescent panel on the monitor that failed, the computer itself still works allowing me to access it in target mode and migrate effortlessly to the Mini I bought to replace it. What excellent value it proved to be, leaving me one very satisfied customer indeed.
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
post #14 of 53
mac sales up is because of iMac shipments that were delayed from previous months.
post #15 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

If Apple is waiting for nVidia and Intel to settle things we won't see a new MBP until 2013.

I think they're taking their sweet time because sales have been so good. They simply don't feel any pressure to upgrade the machines.

I for one hope this isn't the case. Core 2 Duo is unacceptable when everyone else is bringing the new stuff.

All my humble opinion of course.
post #16 of 53
It's a rounding error.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
post #17 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesw View Post

like i said before, the dip in iPhone sales is offset by the increase in iPod sales and this article confirms it.

What dip in iPhone sales ?
post #18 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

What dip in iPhone sales ?

maybe his chart was upside down?
post #19 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

This is one of the best reads explaining why the MBP haven't been upgraded in quite a while. Until these issues are worked out, may be some time before there's an upgrade--despite the rumors.

what is the problem with shipping a MBP with Intel graphics and a dedicated ATI or Nvidia chip as well?
post #20 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by debusoh View Post

Bummer, because I too am waiting for a refresh. I don't have a Mac now and would really like to get back to them. The last time I used a Mac regularly was the Mac II I had on my desk in the 80's.

Wow, that's kinda like saying the last time you listened to music it was the Bee Gees and Donna Summer on tape.

Not saying you have bad taste, just that Macs have changed more than you might realize. Similar to how Simon Fuller on "American Idol" isn't very much like Ed McMahon was on "Star Search."
post #21 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by debusoh View Post

The last time I used a Mac regularly was the Mac II I had on my desk in the 80's.

My last Mac was a Quadra 605, to which I connected a grayscale portrait monitor i.e. it was taller than it was wide. It was a great experience but when Linux came out, I switched to PCs to use it.
post #22 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

Wow, that's kinda like saying the last time you listened to music it was the Bee Gees and Donna Summer on tape.

Not saying you have bad taste, just that Macs have changed more than you might realize. Similar to how Simon Fuller on "American Idol" isn't very much like Ed McMahon was on "Star Search."

except that ed mcmahon is no longer around, and my mac II still boots!
well okay, it did a couple of years ago...
post #23 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

Ubuntu makes for a very good and secure netbook OS as it's permission based copy of Unix, it can be themed to look like XP or even OS X.

I like the fact that I can compile a Linux kernel that is 100% free of NSA and Halliburton spyware, unlike Microsoft's. But otherwise, so much is wrong with Linux and not getting better. Check out Artem's list of problems...

http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux...e.desktop.html
post #24 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple is doomed!

"Yeah, Mac sales have stagnated."

-iGenius (pre-quote quote)
post #25 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

"Yeah, Mac sales have stagnated."

-iGenius (pre-quote quote)

Yes, and the pessimists / trolls here that seem to know exactly how to run Apple are mysteriously silent. Probably busy fabricating another piece of FUD "facts".

Way to go Apple!
post #26 of 53
"The fundamentals of this company are firmly in place to bring this stock to $500 a share by 2012." (bottom page 2)

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10703...king-good.html
post #27 of 53
This was expected. Nice to see, all the same.

What a rounding error!

The only thing that's stagnated is Steve Jobs' house.
post #28 of 53
Quote:
The latest NPD numbers have provided even more confidence to Munster and Piper Jaffray, who have called 2010 the "Year of the Mac." He said Monday that the easing comparisons from 2009 represent a buying opportunity for investors.


Watch out for the correction!

Apple is the third largest capitalization on the U.S stock market. But Apple's world market share is only 4% and Steve Jobs is co-authoring his memoirs because he is about to leave Apple.

While investors might like their Macs or iPhones, they should take a hard look at Apple and ask themselves whether the stock is overvalued or if it can still double in value in the coming year.

Clearly, I don't believe that Apple's stock price will double over the next year. Caveat emptor.


\\\
post #29 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Watch out for the correction!

Apple is the third largest capitalization on the U.S stock market. But Apple's world market share is only 4% and Steve Jobs is co-authoring his memoirs because he is about to leave Apple.

While investors might like their Macs or iPhones, they should take a hard look at Apple and ask themselves whether the stock is overvalued or if it can still double in value in the coming year.

Clearly, I don't believe that Apple's stock price will double over the next year. Caveat emptor.


\\\

Can you link to at least one post of yours on AI where you've had something positive to say about Steve Jobs and Apple?

I am always a bit curious about your type.......
post #30 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moloch View Post

I like the fact that I can compile a Linux kernel that is 100% free of NSA and Halliburton spyware, unlike Microsoft's. But otherwise, so much is wrong with Linux and not getting better. Check out Artem's list of problems...

http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux...e.desktop.html


Yep that's why I said "Ubuntu makes a good netbook OS" and it's already on the desktop.

Dell and others sell Ubuntu Linux machines. Adobe even makes Flash for Linux.

Apple won't sell a inexpensive secure netbook, so that only leaves insecure Windows, usually XP.

A nice little secret I've found is sites will often give more free dl time to Linux users than Mac or Windows users. Pop a url in Safari and up comes a pay wall, pop the same in Firefox on Linux and it goes through, same IP, no charge
post #31 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

"The fundamentals of this company are firmly in place to bring this stock to $500 a share by 2012." (bottom page 2)

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10703...king-good.html

thestreet. com is a tool for stock manipulation, and i think generally regarded as hostile to apple.
post #32 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Watch out for the correction!

Apple is the third largest capitalization on the U.S stock market. But Apple's world market share is only 4% and Steve Jobs is co-authoring his memoirs because he is about to leave Apple.

While investors might like their Macs or iPhones, they should take a hard look at Apple and ask themselves whether the stock is overvalued or if it can still double in value in the coming year.

Clearly, I don't believe that Apple's stock price will double over the next year. Caveat emptor.


\\\

There is no confirmation that Steve Jobs is about to leave Apple.

Apple's Mac market share is naturally bound by the parameters of the Premium market. OS X is not universally licensed, and the entry fee starts at around $1000 US, unless we're talking about the Mini.

The stock is actually undervalued. Apple has initiated a new computing paradigm, and at the head of this new paradigm is the iPad and the entire ecosystem that comes with it. The industry is still in shock over it. The integration, ease of use, and possibilities offered by this platform currently has no peer. The iPad *is* the future of "computing." Not notebooks. Not desktops. Not netbooks. "Computer" no longer refers to generally accepted ideas about boxes with physical keyboards. The transition has begun. Apple has sniffed out this market and has planned everything this way quite brilliantly. They've got it all locked up and consumers and developers alike want to be a part of it. This new decade belongs to Apple.

Apple's current lineup of products (iPhone especially) has taken the stock to around $215-220. This is the new low-end. This is the new bottom-end for Apple stock. The iPad will take Apple stock to the next level.
post #33 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple's current lineup of products (iPhone especially) has taken the stock to around $215-220. This is the new low-end. This is the new bottom-end for Apple stock. The iPad will take Apple stock to the next level.

Apple is like the light bulb and the automobile put together. There is no business cycle for them anymore.
post #34 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

"The fundamentals of this company are firmly in place to bring this stock to $500 a share by 2012." (bottom page 2)

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10703...king-good.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The stock is actually undervalued.

I always feel as though claims of this kind should come with money-back guarantees, or not be made at all. It's hard enough to predict a stock's price over the next two weeks, but in two years? That's practically a lifetime in the stock market.

As for undervalued, this is a term that gets thrown around quite a bit. It doesn't really mean much of anything. The markets set stock valuations every day. It's not worth more or less than what the markets say it is on any given day.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #35 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

If Apple is waiting for nVidia and Intel to settle things we won't see a new MBP until 2013.

I think they're taking their sweet time because sales have been so good. They simply don't feel any pressure to upgrade the machines.

Seeing as only Apple and AMD/ATi have a true working OpenCL for the CPU and GPGPU it makes sense for them to move to AMD/ATi.
post #36 of 53
It doesn't mention how Apple is going to pull off this $500 share price. Increase of desktop market share or iPhone market share? $500 seems incredibly high. Apple is still hovering around the $220 mark and $250 seems like a ways off, especially if the DJIA remains weak. It's just that Apple would have rise $100 each year and that's hard for me to comprehend. The stock was $202 in December 2007 and now in 2010 it's $223 or so. Even though the company performed very well over those couple of years, the share price hasn't moved very much at all (that's if you throw out that crazy down to $85 dip). I just hope he's right. If Apple reaches $300 a share by the end of this year, I'll consider it's possible.
post #37 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

It doesn't mention how Apple is going to pull off this $500 share price. Increase of desktop market share or iPhone market share? $500 seems incredibly high. Apple is still hovering around the $220 mark and $250 seems like a ways off, especially if the DJIA remains weak. It's just that Apple would have rise $100 each year and that's hard for me to comprehend. The stock was $202 in December 2007 and now in 2010 it's $223 or so. Even though the company performed very well over those couple of years, the share price hasn't moved very much at all (that's if you throw out that crazy down to $85 dip). I just hope he's right. If Apple reaches $300 a share by the end of this year, I'll consider it's possible.

Hasn't moved much? The stock went from under $200 and is now over $220 in just over a week. You have conveniently thrown out the market's low point do to a global recession and then chosen specific datas to show that the stock and company are somehow stagnant. Please!

I'm not sure what you people expect from a stock. It goes up and down, it's in its nature. Getting to $250 is no big deal, the same goes for dropping to $200. This all depends on many factors that are highly unpredictable, especially for tech stocks.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #38 of 53
To justify a $500 share value, Apple would minimally have to double earnings and demonstrate a solid prospect of continuing that growth rate into the future. Within two years? I wonder if that's possible.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #39 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by debusoh View Post

As long as the current one's are selling great, there is little pressure to update them...

Bummer, because I too am waiting for a refresh. I don't have a Mac now and would really like to get back to them.

The last time I used a Mac regularly was the Mac II I had on my desk in the 80's.

There is pressure because Apple is currently selling them with a generation old chips. Some overlap is okay, but wait too long and you will be two generations behind. I'm sure they are waiting for the new Nvidia chip to be ready because they wouldn't want to go to the new Intel chips and offer worse graphics then the previous generation. It looks like an interesting combo. Too bad it is designed around legal issues instead of technological issues, but I don't think they compromised that much.
post #40 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

A nice little secret I've found is sites will often give more free dl time to Linux users than Mac or Windows users. Pop a url in Safari and up comes a pay wall, pop the same in Firefox on Linux and it goes through, same IP, no charge

I use both Mac and Linux and haven't noticed that. What motivation do they have to do so?

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › February Mac sales up 43%, Apple on track for 2.9M in quarter