or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Will Obama get a second term?

Will Obama get a second term?

Poll Results: Will Obama get a second term?

Poll expired: Apr 16, 2010  
  • 37% (9)
    NO!
  • 62% (15)
    Yes.
24 Total Votes  
post #1 of 174
I think he will for sure. This poll will close in one month.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #2 of 174
Will he get a second term? It depends.

In two more years the economy may be on the mend and at a point that would add believability to claims that 'his' policies pulled us away from the brink of disaster...

OTOH, if the economy gets the old double-dose of recession, or what is commonly referred to as a "W"-shaped recovery, there might be widespread anger and unrest and again the president would be (fairly or unfairly) blamed for the economic condition of the country.

No one knows the future, so I think a person would be foolhardy to pronounce anything certain at this early stage.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #3 of 174
Threat on the President - federal offense
post #4 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Will he get a second term? It depends.

In two more years the economy may be on the mend and at a point that would add believability to claims that 'his' policies pulled us away from the brink of disaster...

OTOH, if the economy gets the old double-dose of recession, or what is commonly referred to as a "W"-shaped recovery, there might be widespread anger and unrest and again the president would be (fairly or unfairly) blamed for the economic condition of the country.

No one knows the future, so I think a person would be foolhardy to pronounce anything certain at this early stage.

W shaped recovery, how ironic after Bush

I think whatever happens with the economy, Bush has left such a bad legacy on that front and many others that he's a guaranteed to be a two term president. I also think more Republican's and Independents will realize the benefits of the healthcare reform and won't want to risk voting in a repub who would try and turn that clock back.
post #5 of 174
Given your location (as noted in your nickname) that reads like a threat.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #6 of 174
Why not, is he just too lazy to want to be president?
post #7 of 174
Quote:

Given your location (as noted in your nickname) that reads like a threat.

How so? I think he will be impeached.
You Obama fanboys are so paranoid.... Drugs?
post #8 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

Impeached for what?
post #9 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

W shaped recovery, how ironic after Bush

I think whatever happens with the economy, Bush has left such a bad legacy on that front and many others that he's a guaranteed to be a two term president. I also think more Republican's and Independents will realize the benefits of the healthcare reform and won't want to risk voting in a repub who would try and turn that clock back.

Yes, I've noted the irony of the "W" recovery theory myself, considering Bush contributed as much to the destruction of our economy as the current leadership.

But again, I think average Americans (not just tea partiers, not just Republicans) are actually quite upset about what they perceive is a government takeover of not just businesses, but the health care system, right or wrong the perception may be.

Having said all that, what's your view on Pres. Obama not being able to follow through on so many of the BIG campaign promises... y'know, the ones that mattered to everyone who voted against George Bush and for change? Do you really feel like things have changed? I don't. Keep in mind, I did not vote for either Obama or McCain.

...and for what it's worth...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #10 of 174
Quote:

You haven't been here very long, have you? ME an Obama fanboy? That's a laugh riot.

I'm sensing a potentially very short career here for you... Good luck, sir!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #11 of 174
Quote:

Impeached for what?

It hasn't happened yet.
post #12 of 174
I'm with Spam on this one. We won't really know until the midterms. Right now the belief for Dems is that 1994 happened because they didn't pass health care. Most folks in the pundit class think this reasoning insane and so do I. The administration itself is forecasting near 10% unemployment for the rest of the year. If health care passes and the Dems are crucified in the mid-terms then I think Obama will attempt to moderate and triangulate ala Clinton. He could win reelection if unemployment drops and he moderates. People have short memories.

If the Dems do not pass health care they will still be hurt but less so. Obama giving up on health care and even (with the same short memories) perhaps even running (again) as moderating influence on Congress could pull it off if unemployment again goes down a couple points.

If they pass and suffer in mids and he doesn't moderate then it will be an easy landslide.

Also call me crazy but who the Republicans run might even have an effect.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #13 of 174
Quote:

I'm sensing a potentially very short career here for you... Good luck, sir!

Is that a threat?
post #14 of 174
Quote:

Is that a threat?

Let's just call it a friendly bet.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #15 of 174
Quote:

Yes, I've noted the irony of the "W" recovery theory myself, considering Bush contributed as much to the destruction of our economy as the current leadership.

But again, I think average Americans (not just tea partiers, not just Republicans) are actually quite upset about what they perceive is a government takeover of not just businesses, but the health care system, right or wrong the perception may be.

Having said all that, what's your view on Pres. Obama not being able to follow through on so many of the BIG campaign promises... y'know, the ones that mattered to everyone who voted against George Bush and for change? Do you really feel like things have changed? I don't. Keep in mind, I did not vote for either Obama or McCain.

I don't think that link shows that he's not going to do the things he has said he'd do. Most of them he seems to be doing ok at. I do think things have changed and in a big way. Whether it be from torture to GW he's making progress as opposed to making things much worse. I do feel let down, so to speak, (I didn't vote for him) about the patriot act and I would have liked him to not have increased troops numbers in Afghanistan, made fewer strikes in Pakistan and a speedier withdrawal from Iraq. I don't support the bailouts either. I would have supported them if I trusted the financial sector, but there's completely untrustworthy and always have been. He should be doing more to get the money back that has been lent and reigning in the Fed to at the very least make it more transparent. Then I might even vote for him.

edit- Your last link says at the bottom that Indep's trust repubs more now on the economy than BO. How accurate that is I don't know but assuming it is accurate I think that because BO has shifted the jobs from loosing 600,000 a month to roughly zero and soon I think there will be actual job growth that that will become better understood. At the moment people are mostly, I suspect, reacting to the 10% figure and not seeing how Obama has actually turned the situation around.
post #16 of 174
Quote:

I don't think that link shows that he's not going to do the things he has said he'd do. Most of them he seems to be doing ok at. I do think things have changed and in a big way. Whether it be from torture to GW he's making progress as opposed to making things much worse. I do feel let down, so to speak, (I didn't vote for him) about the patriot act and I would have liked him to not have increased troops numbers in Afghanistan, made fewer strikes in Pakistan and a speedier withdrawal from Iraq. I don't support the bailouts either. I would have supported them if I trusted the financial sector, but there's completely untrustworthy and always have been. He should be doing more to get the money back that has been lent and reigning in the Fed to at the very least make it more transparent. Then I might even vote for him.

edit- Your last link says at the bottom that Indep's trust repubs more now on the economy than BO. How accurate that is I don't know but assuming it is accurate I think that because BO has shifted the jobs from loosing 600,000 a month to roughly zero and soon I think there will be actual job growth that that will become better understood. At the moment people are mostly, I suspect, reacting to the 10% figure and not seeing how Obama has actually turned the situation around.

I think I may have been misjudging your attitude based on some of your previous comments. Very illuminating, and I find myself in agreement with many things you've stated, although regarding the belief that there is only 10% unemployment... I've seen numerous citations that insist the actual number is near 20%. The 10% figure does not count people who have been out of work for over a year nor those no longer collecting unemployment and still without a job. Twenty percent is quite close to Great Depression levels.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #17 of 174
Quote:

I think I may have been misjudging your attitude based on some of your previous comments. Very illuminating, and I find myself in agreement with many things you've stated, although regarding the belief that there is only 10% unemployment... I've seen numerous citations that insist the actual number is near 20%. The 10% figure does not count people who have been out of work for over a year nor those no longer collecting unemployment and still without a job. Twenty percent is quite close to Great Depression levels.

I was for the GM bailout I should add though.

I'm glad we agree on some things, I didn't think that was the case either. I suspect that we'd part views the furthest on raising taxes for the upper income levels and having a single payer healthcare service, though I would still support there being a healthy private sector. Take the government money out of the private sector and make it truly privately funded too.

The real amount of unemployment is much higher and I can believe it's closer to 20%. Most of the super wealthy in the US have a lot of money locked up that should really be in the economy stimulating job growth. I'm all for encouraging saving, but it's different when there's billions just stashed away. If the top 10% paid more in taxes, which they can well afford their could be huge investments in businesses through the government, thereby growing those businesses and providing jobs. New high speed trains, new solar power plants, new infrastructure, new school and university funding and on.
post #18 of 174
Quote:

If the top 10% paid more in taxes, which they can well afford their could be huge investments in businesses through the government, thereby growing those businesses and providing jobs. New high speed trains, new solar power plants, new infrastructure, new school and university funding and on.

Really? If the top 10% had less money to invest in their businesses- via higher taxes, they would invest more in their businesses? Just doesn't sound right to me. How about cutting their obscene taxes, and encouraging them to grow their businesses, rather than trusting the government to invest their money for them?
post #19 of 174
Quote:

Really? If the top 10% had less money to invest in their businesses- via higher taxes, they would invest more in their businesses? Just doesn't sound right to me. How about cutting their obscene taxes, and encouraging them to grow their businesses, rather than trusting the government to invest their money for them?

That is not what he said. He said if you taxed them more the GOVERNMENT could grow businesses. Read it again.

their (sic) could be huge investments in businesses through the government, thereby growing those businesses and providing jobs.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #20 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

That is not what he said. He said if you taxed them more the GOVERNMENT could grow businesses. Read it again.

their (sic) could be huge investments in businesses through the government, thereby growing those businesses and providing jobs.

How, exactly, does the government 'grow businesses?' Taking them over, like GM and Amtrak? The federal government takes in plenty of money. Unfortunately, it wastes a tremendous amount of money, as well. Perhaps everyone should be employed by the federal government?
post #21 of 174
Quote:

How, exactly, does the government 'grow businesses?' Taking them over, like GM and Amtrak? The federal government takes in plenty of money. Unfortunately, it wastes a tremendous amount of money, as well. Perhaps everyone should be employed by the federal government?

Ask him, I was just interpreting...
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #22 of 174
Quote:

In part just by getting that money into the actual economy. There's a very long list of ways it can do that...I'm sure you've got the time to look at least a few up.
post #23 of 174
Quote:

In part just by getting that money into the actual economy. There's a very long list of ways it can do that...I'm sure you've got the time to look at least a few up.

I see, you don't know either. I was under the impression the so-called stimulus bill was to do all you proposed. Was it a failure, or should there be another, larger 'stimulus' bill?
post #24 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

If health care passes and the Dems are crucified in the mid-terms then I think Obama will attempt to moderate and triangulate ala Clinton.

I've been pondering this myself. The 1994 mid-terms are a large part of what enabled Clinton to get re-elected as well as what enabled the country's economy to grow by having a check and balance between Clinton and the Congress. This event did indeed bring Clinton to the center.

Obama might be different story. At first I thought he was a much better (and more shrewd) politician than Clinton. And, in some ways, he is. But, as time has gone on, I'm less sure of this. I actually don't think he's as bright as that. Further, I think Obama has an arrogance about him that might actually prevent him from moderating his position. Obama sorta has principles (as twisted and misguided as they might be). He just thinks he's right (even when he's so obviously wrong.) Clinton just wanted to be President. He was a politician's politician. Therefore he adjusted to remain President. I'm not sure Obama has enough humility or flexibility to make the same adjustment.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #25 of 174
Quote:

Most of the super wealthy in the US have a lot of money locked up that should really be in the economy stimulating job growth. I'm all for encouraging saving, but it's different when there's billions just stashed away. If the top 10% paid more in taxes, which they can well afford their could be huge investments in businesses through the government, thereby growing those businesses and providing jobs. New high speed trains, new solar power plants, new infrastructure, new school and university funding and on.

It's a little scary that you actually believe all of that.

post #26 of 174
Quote:

In part just by getting that money into the actual economy.

You really don't know what you're talking about here. What do you think? Do you think the rich just have their millions or billions stuffed in a mattress somewhere?

post #27 of 174
Quote:

Perhaps everyone should be employed by the federal government?

Soon we will be. Shit, the people who aren't directly employed by it for for it for about the first 3-4 months of every year anyway. And that's not even counting people who work indirectly (for companies that are government contractors or subsidy recipients in one way or another.)

post #28 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

You really don't know what you're talking about here. What do you think? Do you think the rich just have their millions or billions stuffed in a mattress somewhere?

No, it wouldn't fit.
post #29 of 174
Quote:

No, it wouldn't fit.

Right, so it's not not in the economy.

post #30 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Right, so it's not not in the economy.

It's under the floor boards and behind the walls going moldy.
post #31 of 174
Quote:

Impeached for what?

Sucking so bad.
post #32 of 174
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...ve-reelection-
Quote:
CNN poll: 52% say Obama doesn't deserve reelection in 2012

52 percent of Americans said President Barack Obama doesn't deserve reelection in 2012, according to a new poll.

44 percent of all Americans said they would vote to reelect the president in two and a half years, less than the slight majority who said they would prefer to elect someone else.

Obama faces a 44-52 deficit among both all Americans and registered voters, according to a CNN/Opinion Research poll released Tuesday. Four percent had no opinion.

The reelection numbers are slightly more sour than Obama's approval ratings, which are basically tied. 49 percent of people told CNN that they approve of the way Obama is handling his job, while 50 percent disapprove.

If Obama can't sell it to CNN, he can't sell it anywhere.

There needs to be a dramatic employment recovery before Obama will be capable of being re-elected, and I don't see that happening.

It's all about jobs, stupid!
post #33 of 174
Quote:

Let's just call it a friendly bet.

You win.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #34 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Also call me crazy but who the Republicans run might even have an effect.

I hope Palin runs

I also think that Obama won't just drop healthcare reform like you suggest he do to improve his odds and that he would lose completely if he did, to think otherwise is truly absurd.
post #35 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...ve-reelection-

If Obama can't sell it to CNN, he can't sell it anywhere.

There needs to be a dramatic employment recovery before Obama will be capable of being re-elected, and I don't see that happening.

It's all about jobs, stupid!

I think Obama's biggest job growth numbers will be in his second term, though substantial in this one too, setting the stage for another Democratic POTUS after him.
post #36 of 174
Quote:

I think Obama's biggest job growth numbers will be in his second term, though substantial in this one too, setting the stage for another Democratic POTUS after him.

The hemorrhage of jobs hasn't even stopped, and the markets affected by the losses - Construction, Transportation And Warehousing and Manufacturing are pretty much tanked.

Just because there's nowhere to go but up means the're going up any time soon.

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work...-by-job-losses

I'd offer to make you a friendly bet, but apparently those don't go so well...
post #37 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post

You win.

Kinda thought so. Some people really don't understand the legal repercussions of their statements.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #38 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

The hemorrhage of jobs hasn't even stopped, and the markets affected by the losses - Construction, Transportation And Warehousing and Manufacturing are pretty much tanked.

Just because there's nowhere to go but up means the're going up any time soon.

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work...-by-job-losses

I'd offer to make you a friendly bet, but apparently those don't go so well...

The rate of job losses has nearly stopped and I expect that there'll be a lot of new jobs created between now and 2012. That's a major change from Bush and it'll give confidence to people to vote Obama in for a second term where I think he'll really get unemployment down sharply.
post #39 of 174
Quote:

The rate of job losses has nearly stopped and I expect that there'll be a lot of new jobs created between now and 2012. That's a major change from Bush and it'll give confidence to people to vote Obama in for a second term where I think he'll really get unemployment down sharply.

Try looking at "nearly stopped" in a context similar to the amount of blood one loses from a opening in a major artery where "nearly stopped" means "almost dead". There's almost nowhere TO go but up, at this point, in the industries in depression.

A major change from Bush?

I wouldn't try to compare the two, mainly because there's a lack of correlation one can assume, but still....there's really no way to compare the two that favors Obama.
post #40 of 174
Quote:

It's under the floor boards and behind the walls going moldy.

It's invested. In the market... In companies like Apple, allowing them to employ people and make decent products. Also in crappy companies like GM or an airline, allowing them to employ people even though they can't make a decent product.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Will Obama get a second term?