or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's iMac to account for 25% of global desktop growth in 2010

Apple's iMac to account for 25% of global desktop growth in 2010 - Page 4

post #121 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

So get a dell tower and not an iMac. Simple, no?

Quite.

And that's what I'll likely do. Much as I would like the iMac the lack of blu-ray and the crazy price (in the UK) is just an impossible barrier for me. I could buy a top end Dell, then have a nice holiday with all the money I'd save.

Easy decision really. Apple priced out a potential customer.
post #122 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I have a Mac AND a PC, so I feel quite qualified to comment.

I have no virii on either, no issues on either, and no complaints with either.

A lot of folks say this. I wonder how many have been rooted and don't know because their avs isn't reporting anything.

Quote:
I spend zero time looking after either other than 30 seconds installing Windows Security Essentials (a free download) on my Win 7 box when I got it. It handles everything automatically and never bothers me. It has never found a virus and I have never had any issues.

"We grabbed the next 10 unique samples that arrived in the SophosLabs feed to see how well the newer, more secure version of Windows and UAC held up. Unfortunately, despite Microsoft's claims, Windows 7 disappointed just like earlier versions of Windows. The good news is that, of the freshest 10 samples that arrived, 2 would not operate correctly under Windows 7."

http://www.sophos.com/blogs/chetw/g/...-8-10-viruses/

Yes, that's UACs and not the anti-virus in MSSE.

MSSE:

"The product's overall performance on the malware removal test was average, not outstanding. It detected 89 percent of the malware samples and scored 7.0 of 10 possible points for removal, the same score Prevx 3.0 attained. On a parallel test using commercial keyloggers, its scores were decidedly low: 30 percent detection and 1.8 points for removal. But that low detection rate indicates that Microsoft isn't really trying to remove most commercial keyloggers.

Although Microsoft touts the product's live kernel behavior monitoring and other features specific to rootkit removal, in practice the software detected only 67 percent of rootkit-type threats and scored just 4.9 points for removal, well below average. Hitman Pro detected 100 percent and scored 7.1 points."

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2348998,00.asp

Gee...I hope it does better than the beta. Yes, it does but not against the latest threats:

"To check dynamic malware, which is based on its behavior rather than static lists, AV-Test found that MSSE had no "dynamic detection" in place as the software failed to find any of the recently released malware used in the test. AV-Test noted that other standalone antivirus products don't include behavior-based detection either, although that feature is typically found in full security suites."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10366232-83.html

And of course this nice statistic that 32% of machines with up to date anti-virus software are still infected:

"Research Results

107,435 computer users have used the free version of Hitman Pro 3 for the first time in the period from October 10 to December 4.
78,828 users had an up-to-date antivirus program installed. 28,607 users had not.
25,038 (32%) of the 78,828 users with up-to-date antivirus program were infected with malware.
13,002 (46%) of the 28,607 users without up-to-date antivirus program were infected with malware."

http://www.surfright.nl/en/home/pres...pite-antivirus

This isn't to say that OS X is invulnerable. It sure isn't regardless of what Apple fans think.

But odds are 1 in 3 that you've got malware on your box without knowing about it.

Quote:
As for Apple build quality, my MacBook has been repaired 4 times now (the case keeps cracking at the edges, and it's treated VERY carefully, plus the DVD drive died). My Airport Extreme drops all connections to the web about every 2 or 3 days and needs to be restarted. It's been replaced once and still does it. My iPhone has been replaced 3 times. The first had a weak 3G radio, the second was just poorly put together, and the third just flat out died. My Apple TV hasn't been replaced but loses it's connection to iTunes about once a week and needs to be restarted.

You really need to stop buying Apple products because they suck. Then you should go to a windows site and proudly proclaim that.

Quote:
My PC (a Shuttle) has been replaced once when the motherboard died.

So nothing is perfect, especially Apple hardware.

Troll.
post #123 of 143
Quote:

You need to (re)join the real world and stop watching those comedy fact free I'm a Mac/I'm a PC ads.

PC's only have virii if you are cluess. Harsh but true.

I guess you still need to board the clue train. Harsh but true.

Companies with hard core enterprise level security policies and software still get virus and successfully attacked. All it takes is one successful social engineering attack and boom...you're inside the firewall and rooted a machine.

You and your MSSE isn't even a challenge. If someone wanted your machines as part of a botnet it wouldn't be hard.

Win7 is a nice improvement over WinXP but as the actual security people show it's still not all that secure. Whether OSX is more secure or simply not worth the effort is immaterial. The odds that a OS X user is secretly rooted is a lower than a Windows user.

Me, I keep my financial crap on the OSX side and run Symantec anyway. If I were really paranoid I'd do all my surfing in a VM and nuke the VM every so often. Too lazy to do that.

Get thee hence...you are now more pwned than your Windows machine.
post #124 of 143
You know the interesting statistics regarding Win7 is in the white paper. It took me a rereading it to find it again:

On page 12 look at the Windows 32-bit versions:

Win XP SP2 45% infected
Win XP SP3 34% infected
Win Vista SP2 23% infected
Win7 RTM 33% infected

Nice 1% improvement over Xp there.

http://files.surfright.nl/reports/Hi...OctNov2009.pdf

The next page also has an important data point.

5915 machines had the TDSS/Alureon root kit.
post #125 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

If for you, working with a PC surmounts to spending evenings "fixing, cleaning, upgrading, patching, reinstalling, and complaining" then perhaps you should determine if the problem is the computer, or if it's between the chair and the keyboard...

It's really funny when you think about it: On one hand, people like you claim that they went with a Mac because PC's are just so hard to work with, but on the other hand, there are people that say that mostly intelligent and sophisticated people work with Macs. So which is it? Are Macs so easy to use that anyone can work with them, or are Macs for geniuses?

Regardless of your platform choice, I call this error a id10t error.
Used this one as a codeword at work to describe a self inflicted problem by someone who could negatively effect my employment if they knew we were making fun of them.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
post #126 of 143
Quote:

Easy decision really. Apple priced out a potential customer.

So buy a Dell and spend that extra money on malware and viruse's!
post #127 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuv View Post

As a member of mixed Mac & PC home, let me go on record as saying that malware claims on these boards are highly overstated.
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
post #128 of 143
Quote:

That the iMac is an all in one is totally irrelevant to me, I just want a computer. I compared a Dell desktop to the iMac because the Mac Pro is so stupidly over priced I would have to be insane to ever buy one.

I also find it hard to take anything you say seriously with your childish comments about the appearance of the Dell, and about Windows. Grow up, you are (I assume) not a child.

So no, I'm not 'trolling' (whatever that means) just being sensible. The iMac is Apple's only consumer desktop offering with a modern CPU. Dell by comparison, have a large range of consumer desktop choices.

Call it not like for like if you wish, but I don't give a monkeys, I'm just comparing consumer desktops and Apple have chosen to offer an incredibly limited range.

Very sorry to hear about you financial predicament, based on what you've told me, I'd suggest buying a Dell tower. You can even use the fans to dry your washing and save a bit more. I hope things improve for you.
post #129 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerrob2 View Post

Very sorry to hear about you financial predicament, based on what you've told me, I'd suggest buying a Dell tower. You can even use the fans to dry your washing and save a bit more. I hope things improve for you.

It's not a financial predicament. It's prudence. Why spend $3k on a tower that will do way more than you'd ever need... I wouldn't buy a semi if I just needed to move a couch.

Kotatsu, do what the intelligent, prudent, Mac-loving prosumers have been doing lately and build a hackitosh. There are a billion guides on the internet. Just be sure to buy a copy of Snow Leopard if your build requires downloading a modified DVD installation.

-Clive
post #130 of 143
Quote:

I have no virii

The plural of virus is viruses.
post #131 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

But it sounds so... important!
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #132 of 143
Quote:

I was making this same mistake up until just a couple months ago.

Virii sounds and looks much cooler. I mean, how often do you get to use a double-"i"?
post #133 of 143
Quote:

Or viruse's.
post #134 of 143
Quote:

Or viruse's.

A joke, I hope.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #135 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

A joke, I hope.

Quote:

Quote:

Or viruse's.

Apparently not.
post #136 of 143
Quote:

I thought the plural of virus was Lady Gaga.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #137 of 143
Quote:

You need to (re)join the real world and stop watching those comedy fact free I'm a Mac/I'm a PC ads.

PC's only have virii if you are cluess. Harsh but true.

Windows cannot fail. It can only be failed.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #138 of 143
Quote:

Bonus points to Mr.Pedantic there. I award you a golden turnip for your efforts.
post #139 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Apparently not.

Ouch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think the plural of virus was Lady Gaga.

Double ouch.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #140 of 143
Quote:

Bonus points to Mr.Pedantic there. I award you a golden turnip for your efforts.

I don't think pointing out a common but completely erroneous construction is really "pedantic."

Think of it this way: he's saved you from being beaten to death by an actual pedant with poor impulse control.
post #141 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Sorry Quad but you are wrong on this. IRQ...LOL it has been a long time since you have used windows. IRQ issues ended around Windows 98.

Actually I got it all the time in the past few years with XP, vista just went to a black screen, no message or anything. All from a faulty graphics card.
post #142 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

I think you are wrong there Captain. If (all) desktop sales sales increase by 3% this year, that still amounts to a pretty small figure. Only around 4 million PCs.... and Macs.

If Apple sells one million more iMacs than last year... then that will represent 25% of desktop growth.

We are in violent agreement. 1mil more iMacs is still a rounding error to the overall market but amazing for Apple.
post #143 of 143
I wish Apple had its own trade-in policy for Macs. I feel they could offer the most value to someone who wants to buy a new Mac, but still has a relatively "new" Mac to get rid of first.

I was an early adopter of the first aluminum and glass iMacs, the 7,1 gen, and this gorgeous 20 incher is still my main machine. It's coming up on 3 years old now, and hasn't had but one harddrive corruption caused by (or rather, occurred during) the 10.6.2 update.

As much as I like the new iMacs, Apple really hasn't compelled me to upgrade. I'd love to have one of those 27" bad boys with the i5 or i7, but the price premium isn't what I expect to be paying right now. I paid $1500 for my iMac 3 years ago, and to do better than that today, I have to spend around $2000. That doesn't seem like progress to me.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe i'm being picky and selective with my configuration choices, but for me to upgrade an aging machine, I have to see the value in it. To get a better iMac than what I have now, I'd have to spend more than what I spent on this machine 3 years ago. I'm not ready for that at this time.
(granted, this is because of the dollar, not because of Apple price gouging, but some won't understand that)
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's iMac to account for 25% of global desktop growth in 2010