or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's iMac to account for 25% of global desktop growth in 2010
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iMac to account for 25% of global desktop growth in 2010 - Page 2

post #41 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Your wasting your time. I've seen how this discussion unfolds in here, and ultimately nothing will convince anyone here that a PC is in any way a better deal. In fact, they seem to want to out-do one another in their absurd dismissal of PC's in order to come off as a truer Mac die-hard.

That thing was just UGLY!
post #42 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Your wasting your time. I've seen how this discussion unfolds in here, and ultimately nothing will convince anyone here that a PC is in any way a better deal. In fact, they seem to want to out-do one another in their absurd dismissal of PC's in order to come off as a truer Mac die-hard.

You and I know what's up, and we can have a great time with our money.

What brings people like you to a website such as this? I'm just curious, since I don't get it. Obviously you have some issue with how people post here, and the subject matter, so what are you here for, exactly?
post #43 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel- View Post

From a licensing perspective, I guess. iLuv was quoting SJ.

Personally, I could care less about Blu-Ray in a portable device. As a storage medium, it's trumped by portable external drives, and I wouldn't want to carry around a bunch of blu-ray discs @ $25 a pop, just so I can get a marginally noticeable image quality improvement on a 15" screen. Seems rather blown out of proportion.

Then again, I actually do crazy things like work on my portables, not carry them around as a glorified media player or fashion accessory.

Yeah, the scenario you describe IS blown out of proportion. Blu ray drives might be for the die-hard nerd who wants to store all the "proof" of aliens he's collected from the internet in the past 10 years, or it might be used by the techy dad who filmed his son's championship soccer game where he scored the winning goal.

Of course a DVD can hold that soccer game vid, but 10 years from now, will everyone think 720 or even 1080 is low res?
post #44 of 143
1984... the Macintosh is born and with it... Mac PC Mac PC Mac....

Fast forward to 2010...

Mac PC Mac PC Mac...

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #45 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel- View Post

What brings people like you to a website such as this? I'm just curious, since I don't get it. Obviously you have some issue with how people post here, and the subject matter, so what are you here for, exactly?

Excuse me? First of all, it doesn't matter AT ALL what brings me here. It's the internet and an open forum, and so long as I maintain a certain level of respect for the members around here, I don't see a problem with me being here.

Second of all, just because my opinion flies right in the face of the majority around here, it doesn't mean I'm not a geek to the core who has an interest in all things Apple. AI is a place I visit a lot, moreso than a place like engadget.

Finally, I have absolutely no issue with how people post here. Post what you want. I've just seen how this discussion goes a few times around here, and I was letting someone know (who shared my point of view) why it will be a waste of time.
post #46 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

IRQ is usually a driver issue but can also point to ram issues. This can easily be diagnosed by uninstalling whatever latest drivers were installed in safemode, then reverting to previous drivers or grabbing latest from the internet. If it's a ram issue, running memtest will tell you if a stick has gone bad.

Your NTLDR error happens when the system has a problem finding a solid source to boot from. If it randomly happens, pop in your windows 2000 cd and go into repair mode.

The problems you list here tend not to show their ugly face anymore, however. I have experienced them though, but I can say it's not as much of a headache as you would think.

Try diagnosing a faulty northbridge, then tell me how hard PC's are


NOW you tell me!

post #47 of 143
Wow..... the trolls are out in force today! They are panicked about something..... their jobs, maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I was ready to buy a 27" top of the line iMac last year, until I saw it lacked a blu-ray drive.Since then PCs have come down in price so much I can't see myself buying the iMac, even if Apple ever put a modern optical drive in it. Here in the UK I can literally get a Dell with a higher spec for HALF the price. Just nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Another clueless member. Something tells me you haven't the slightest idea what would even cause a BSOD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH01 View Post

Viruses, BSOD??? Guess you have not used a PC lately.
.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

I suspect iLuv is the self-elected anti-troll for Appleinsider; iLuv enjoys stating purely positive views on Apple and its products to undoubtedly counteract those with the purely negative. Thus balance is maintained within the great scheme of things that is the Appleinsider website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Your wasting your time. I've seen how this discussion unfolds in here, and ultimately nothing will convince anyone here that a PC is in any way a better deal. In fact, they seem to want to out-do one another in their absurd dismissal of PC's in order to come off as a truer Mac die-hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emulator View Post

Just give that idiot a rest. He's as clueless regarding Blu-ray as my rattle snake. These brainwashed fans just do what they are told and enjoy what they are allowed by their precious SJ. 720p DRM videos on a crapple tv.
post #48 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuv View Post

That thing was just UGLY!

whaaaaat? u crazeh! I like my computers to look like UFO's, with big jagged protruding edges that I can bang my knee on!

jk, but seriously, if it's aesthetics you're after, have a look at the case I use in my living room: Silverstone TJ07 Actually kinda looks a little like a mac pro.
post #49 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

No OS X, no sale.

Seems you spec-hounds just don't get it either.

Quadra I totally agree with you! I have my MBP and several Macs in the house along with several high end desktop PCs. The PCs have higher end hardware specs BUT they don't have the Mac operating system.... The same goes for my iPhone as well.... the GUI in Apple products is head and shoulder above the rest of the industry.

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #50 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Quadra I totally agree with you! I have my MBP and several Macs in the house along with several high end desktop PCs. The PCs have higher end hardware specs BUT they don't have the Mac operating system.... The same goes for my iPhone as well.... the GUI in Apple products is head and shoulder above the rest of the industry.

Of course, you can always hackintosh it. But then, that's not really a viable solution, and plus, it'll kinda nag me to know that I'm using a "fake" Mac, not to mention that Apple hardware is truly beautiful and I'd miss using and seeing it.

The one guarantee anyone has for the full Mac user experience is to run OS X . . . on a Mac. Apropos, it seems that maintaining hackintoshes are sometimes worse than maintaining a Windows box. Defeats the purpose.
post #51 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Excuse me? First of all, it doesn't matter AT ALL what brings me here. It's the internet and an open forum, and so long as I maintain a certain level of respect for the members around here, I don't see a problem with me being here.

Second of all, just because my opinion flies right in the face of the majority around here, it doesn't mean I'm not a geek to the core who has an interest in all things Apple. AI is a place I visit a lot, moreso than a place like engadget.

Finally, I have absolutely no issue with how people post here. Post what you want. I've just seen how this discussion goes a few times around here, and I was letting someone know (who shared my point of view) why it will be a waste of time.

By referring to people here as "brainwashed"?

When exactly is that "certain level of respect" going to kick in?

Whatever, I get it. I know PCs have a certain level of value, in the right hands. Great. Super. None of which is in the least comforting to me as I sit getting ready to dig into the 5th PC in two weeks that a friend has brought to me to clean off the stupid "Click here your PC is infected!!!" malware. And I better hurry, because that Farmville addiction sets in quickly...

-edit-

Apologies, I just realized I got you and emulator confused and combined. Sorry, was distracted a bit. I'm sorry.
post #52 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

I suspect iLuv is the self-elected anti-troll for Appleinsider;..

Lol! That's funny, I'd been wondering if there had been a rip in the space/time continuum and an anti-teckstud had slipped though! Let's hope they never meet because the result would be catastrophic!

Anyway, re price comparisons. From my perspective I thought that with the new iMac Apple had actually trimmed their margins somewhat. It is a very high-specced machine, particularly with regards to the screen. Very high quality, comparable with the ACD and a big improvement on what had gone before. In fact I think that trimming (trimming note, not slashing) would be a very good strategy for Apple now. The traditionally high margins were probably a necessity when they were struggling, but now they are on the front foot across all sectors so could afford less profit per unit as unit sales continue to climb. Being Apple, this would probably take the form of better specs rather than reduced price, which brings us back to iMac.
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
post #53 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow..... the trolls are out in force today! They are panicked about something..... their jobs, maybe?

I think maybe you need to re-examine the definition of a troll. In fact, what you just posted could very well be considered trolling. You put a comment out there that was meant to drive an emotional response of any kind from an entire group of people, all while not being in any way on topic of the discussion.
post #54 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel- View Post

By referring to people here as "brainwashed"?

When exactly is that "certain level of respect" going to kick in?

Whatever, I get it. I know PCs have a certain level of value, in the right hands. Great. Super. None of which is in the least comforting to me as I sit getting ready to dig into the 5th PC in two weeks that a friend has brought to me to clean off the stupid "Click here your PC is infected!!!" malware. And I better hurry, because that Farmville addiction sets in quickly...

Actually, I've never said anything about Apple fans that hasn't been said about PC fans lol. You don't think PC users get called brainwashed around here? cmon man.

Sorry that you're the go-to guy for those kinds of mistakes. I know exactly how that is. "I was just looking for free movies when my computer said I had a virus and needed to download the antivirus software, now I can't do anything without a million popups!"
post #55 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Of course, you can always hackintosh it. But then, that's not really a viable solution, and plus, it'll kinda nag me to know that I'm using a "fake" Mac, not to mention that Apple hardware is truly beautiful and I'd miss using and seeing it.

The one guarantee anyone has for the full Mac user experience is to run OS X . . . on a Mac. Apropos, it seems that maintaining hackintoshes are sometimes worse than maintaining a Windows box. Defeats the purpose.

Definitely a selling point for Macs is being able to run Windows if you want. The whole "windows vs osx" argument definitely goes to Apple simply because of this.
post #56 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Actually, I've never said anything about Apple fans that hasn't been said about PC fans lol. You don't think PC users get called brainwashed around here? cmon man.

Sorry that you're the go-to guy for those kinds of mistakes. I know exactly how that is. "I was just looking for free movies when my computer said I had a virus and needed to download the antivirus software, now I can't do anything without a million popups!"

No, I got your comments and the comments of someone else jumbled. Apologies.
post #57 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Definitely a selling point for Macs is being able to run Windows if you want. The whole "windows vs osx" argument definitely goes to Apple simply because of this.

This is true. I must say, back when I played EVE Online (regularly) the Mac client would only be updated later, as an afterthought almost. So I decided to just play it on Windows for the full experience. Bootcamp came in very handy.

By the way, I recommend EVE Online. It's . . . insane.
post #58 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel- View Post

No, I got your comments and the comments of someone else jumbled. Apologies.

I'm sure I've thrown the term "brainwashed" out there in different threads in the past. That's what I thought you were referring to. I know I didn't say it here, but it sounded like something I might have said at some point :P
post #59 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd051572 View Post

My 4-year old powerbook just blew a logic board. I was considering replacing it with a sexy new macbook until I realized that iPad + iMac is both fiscally and conveniently a better deal. Most of the time I'm on the go I don't really want a full computer, but when I want a full computer, I want a huge screen, lots of space and no heat on my lap.
I have my 27" iMac on a cart so if I want to bring it to different rooms I can and in that way it is portable, but I would never need it in another location besides my house.

this is exactly what I determined last December when the iPad was still a rumor...I was keeping my macbook pro docked/desked 99% of the time and using a netbook the rest of the time. One sold macbook pro and a 27" iMac later and I still have the netbook but will replace with iPad soon and I expect to remote into my iMac from the iPad. I think it'll be the perfect pairing.

and the 27" iMac is impressive - best computer I've bought ever.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
post #60 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Breckinridge View Post

Western Europe and Japan are emerging markets? WTF year is analyst Robert Cihra living in...1950?

You beat me to it. Welcome back to Third World status, Western Europe and Japan!
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #61 of 143
I am not surprised at this report. The iMac is an amazing desktop computer. Way above any other desktop in terms of looks and usability. As for the BR debate - BR is still niche and largely irrelevant for most people.
post #62 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

There is no need to 'maintain balance,' unless you are adopting the perspective of a troll. AI is an Apple fan website, with most of us here fairly happy with Apple/Mac/SJ/etc but with our differences of opinion.

Go elsewhere. Try engadget.com, for instance, where they love people like you! You'll find lots of validation there.

I think you misunderstood my post and the subtlety of it's lighthearted nature.
I was implying that a positive anti-troll is to a negative troll what a positive anti-electron is to a negative electron. The effect is neutralised and Appleinsider is saved from negative trolls.

I've been a very good customer for Apple over the past twenty years: Original Newton Messagepad, MP120, MP2100, Performa 6200, iBookG3, Powerbook G4, Aluminium Macbook, iPhone 3GS.

I have had a largely positive experience with all the Apple products I have owned and used. Constructive criticism, praise and analysis will help Apple improve products further still.

So who are you to tell me to go elsewhere?
From what I've seen of your recent postings you seem to spend more time telling where to go than concentrating on the topic on hand. That to me is troll behaviour.
post #63 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

Apple is blocking out Blu-Ray to protect itunes movie store.

That's nonsense. Apple's "blocking out Blu-Ray" because Blu-Ray volume licensing costs are really high, because the software (and hardware!) support required for playback would be considerable, because the spec continues to evolve so rapidly that Apple would be forced to ship and support firmware updates every few months, and finally because the demand simply isn't there.

Quote:
me, i think its time to offer usb 3 and blu-ray

See, the problem is that the vast majority of people simply don't agree with you. So if Apple crammed those technologies into their existing product line right now — when the prices for those components are higher — they'd be selling people features they're unwilling to pay for. So the prices couldn't rise to keep up with the increased component costs, leaving nowhere to go but into the gross margin. Apple would, effectively, be giving away a free toaster with every Mac sold. Which is fine for those precious few customers who actually want a toaster. But for the rest of the customers, at best it's something they'll never notice.
post #64 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by MH01 View Post

Viruses, BSOD??? Guess you have not used a PC lately.

1. you would have to be a total moron not to protect you pc in about 10 min
2. BSOD? Guess you have not heard of windows 7 then.

Actually its hardware/drivers.

Although I disagree with him, a simple search for ["Windows 7" bsod] shows plenty of hits. So yes, he probably has heard of Windows 7.
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
Reply
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
Reply
post #65 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Sadly Apple does rip off the UK consumer, I understand the US price doesn't include sales tax etc etc but when you add it all up ex sales tax etc we pay a LOT more.

Dell charges us the same as they charge you in America, Apple does not.

Still I'm an apple user and will remain so.

Sales tax is irrelevant as that is appended after the list price since states and cities can have different taxes. From highest to additional lowest cost, you have to account for the VAT, for import taxes, the lack of economy of scale between the US for for additional fees such as testing and certifying a new product, different boxes. If you don't think this stuff exists then tell me why the PS2 only officially became sellable in Brasil last year at prices the PS3 can be had.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #66 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by MH01 View Post

Viruses, BSOD??? Guess you have not used a PC lately.

1. you would have to be a total moron not to protect you pc in about 10 min

You'd have to be a complete moron not to use an OS that doesn't need anti virus protection. Just like sex in the 60's it's always better without protection.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
post #67 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Your wasting your time. I've seen how this discussion unfolds in here, and ultimately nothing will convince anyone here that a PC is in any way a better deal. In fact, they seem to want to out-do one another in their absurd dismissal of PC's in order to come off as a truer Mac die-hard.

You and I know what's up, and we can have a great time with our money.

Hey... I'll be the first to admit that Mac's don't fit for every individual situation. If I was looking for a pure high end gaming machine I certainly wouldn't get a Mac. You are correct about some of the fastest hardware only being available on the PC side, mainly in the video card area in my experience. Additionally, there are unfortunately all too many business needs that require Windows so that is another bad fit for a Mac. However, for a generic home user doing e-mail, web browsing, maybe some photo stuff and moderate gaming I would recommend a Mac every time.

From my experience Mac's are more stable and less prone to corruption/viruses. I'll put a Unix based OS up against any version of Windows for stability any day of the week. This is especially important for less sophisticated users, like my parents, who can screw things up pretty good before they even know it.
post #68 of 143
All these reheated arguments over Blu-ray, Mac vs. Pc pricing, trolls etc. are frankly irrelevant.

Whether technically better featured or not, expensive or cheaper, more and more people are choosing iMacs as their machine of their choice, which can only be a good thing for Apple and OS X developers.
post #69 of 143
If this this 25 percent growth holds true, I'm sure it'll just be written off as a rounding error by Ballmer and all his fanbois on this site.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
post #70 of 143
Thread going down in flames.

Must have been positive news about Apple.

@ icyfog:

Excellent sig (the link, that is.)
post #71 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel- View Post

From a licensing perspective, I guess. iLuv was quoting SJ.

Personally, I could care less about Blu-Ray in a portable device. As a storage medium, it's trumped by portable external drives, and I wouldn't want to carry around a bunch of blu-ray discs @ $25 a pop, just so I can get a marginally noticeable image quality improvement on a 15" screen. Seems rather blown out of proportion.

Then again, I actually do crazy things like work on my portables, not carry them around as a glorified media player or fashion accessory.

Agreed.
Not to mention all the extra DRM built in Blu-Ray discs.
In my opinion spinning discs, whether optical or in hard drives, are on their way out. It's a dying technology.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
post #72 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

Agreed.
Not to mention all the extra DRM built in Blu-Ray discs.
In my opinion spinning discs, whether optical or in hard drives, are on their way out. It's a dying technology.

Then you'd better stay out of here, then:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=874016

post #73 of 143
Oh and for those who want to jump on board a dying technology, and who cry that they can't buy one with a Mac, here you go.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...kw/LADVDBRFWU8
Compatible with Macs, and PC's too, just in case you ever get tired of your Mac.

Thanks Quadra 610 for the sig props.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
post #74 of 143
The neutrality of this article is disputed.
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
Reply
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
Reply
post #75 of 143
One of my clients is a switcher, after having his PC infected with a virus that destroyed his data. He's simultaneously trying to recover said data while setting up his new Mac system. You can imagine our support calls. The MS Pro is quite defensive and clearly thinks Macs are fun toys, but not good for anything else. "They don't run Exchange." "They don't have serious programs to do the stuff the client needs to do." "Why can't they just run windows."

Syncing mail and addresses and calendars and data and sharing two Macs? It's embarrassing the Microsoft angle on where Apple stands in business.

His overconfident attitude takes place while he's trying desperately to resurrect data from an infected PC network. My question for him, of course, would be... why didn't you employ a more robust backup system?

I see more and more people taking the plunge. Apple's data reflects it. Although I do have to wonder how much market share Apple is leaving on the table with such high gross margins. There certainly is room to maneuver. And before I get clobbered, no one knows the peak of the PxQ=TR curve. I would only guess that TR could be higher than it is at the current price points.
post #76 of 143
Well maybe Blu-Ray will take off, but I hope not.
I also read rumors maybe even here that the next line of MBP's will offer a Blu-Ray option. I hope Blu-Ray is not mandatory. I have no interest in that technology at all.
To me spinning discs should be on the way out becuase moving parts always causes problems. I think media could and should be delivered via a thumb drive or SD card.
Like this ...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Beatles+...=01&id=2062730
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
post #77 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

If this this 25 percent growth holds true, I'm sure it'll just be written off as a rounding error by Ballmer and all his fanbois on this site.

To be fair, iMacs contributing 25% of Desktop growth (quoted at 3% overall) means that iMac growth will add 0.75% to global desktop growth (based on 70% or so iMac sales growth) which still means that the iMac is a rounding error in overall sales... but that is still explosive growth at high margins for Apple.
post #78 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Oh give it a rest.

I haven't had a virus on a PC in the best part of a decade.

Neither do most people on technology blogs, genius.
post #79 of 143
PC lovers, give us a favor... please just go away...

Go to some PC forums argue all day how your most recent Windows from Craposoft is so much better than the previous one, and how by administering your PC just few hours a day you are almost virus and BSOD free...

Here nobody care... once you go Mac... your PC user arguments just look pathetic...

I prefer to pay more, get a better quality hardware, a better OS, better software, better overall consumer experience, and just enjoy my computer for what I use it for, rather than spending my evenings fixing, cleaning, upgrading, patching, reinstalling, complaining....
post #80 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

,,,Although I do have to wonder how much market share Apple is leaving on the table with such high gross margins. There certainly is room to maneuver. And before I get clobbered, no one knows the peak of the PxQ=TR curve. I would only guess that TR could be higher than it is at the current price points.

Not a burn but companies are profit maximizing entities not revenue maximizing - Acer is a good example of trying to be the latter and look at their margins (which impacts their ability to invest and innovate). Revenue maximization at the expense of margins has been a hiding to nothing for many players (stack em high, sell it cheap) see the US car industry, and even Toyota's recent frenzied run for world #1 could be seen as a core reason for overlooking some of the errors that have come to haunt them today. The graph shows Dell's precipitous fall from grace based on this strategy.

People who are good at revenue maximization are also great at managing margins in relation to their industry too (e.g. Walmart)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's iMac to account for 25% of global desktop growth in 2010