or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's iMac to account for 25% of global desktop growth in 2010

Apple's iMac to account for 25% of global desktop growth in 2010 - Page 3

post #81 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuv View Post

Thats because your Dell is always BSOD.

what's a BSOD? is that like a kernel panic?
post #82 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrdSllS View Post

PC lovers, give us a favor... please just go away...

Go to some PC forums argue all day how your most recent Windows from Craposoft is so much better than the previous one, and how by administering your PC just few hours a day you are almost virus and BSOD free...

Here nobody care... once you go Mac... your PC user arguments just look pathetic...

I prefer to pay more, get a better quality hardware, a better OS, better software, better overall consumer experience, and just enjoy my computer for what I use it for, rather than spending my evenings fixing, cleaning, upgrading, patching, reinstalling, complaining....

If for you, working with a PC surmounts to spending evenings "fixing, cleaning, upgrading, patching, reinstalling, and complaining" then perhaps you should determine if the problem is the computer, or if it's between the chair and the keyboard...

It's really funny when you think about it: On one hand, people like you claim that they went with a Mac because PC's are just so hard to work with, but on the other hand, there are people that say that mostly intelligent and sophisticated people work with Macs. So which is it? Are Macs so easy to use that anyone can work with them, or are Macs for geniuses?
post #83 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

If for you, working with a PC surmounts to spending evenings "fixing, cleaning, upgrading, patching, reinstalling, and complaining" then perhaps you should determine if the problem is the computer, or if it's between the chair and the keyboard...

It's really funny when you think about it: On one hand, people like you claim that they went with a Mac because PC's are just so hard to work with, but on the other hand, there are people that say that mostly intelligent and sophisticated people work with Macs. So which is it? Are Macs so easy to use that anyone can work with them, or are Macs for geniuses?

Ugh.

'nuff said.
post #84 of 143
Quote:

Go to some PC forums argue all day how your most recent Windows from Craposoft is so much better than the previous one, and how by administering your PC just few hours a day you are almost virus and BSOD free...

Here nobody care... once you go Mac... your PC user arguments just look pathetic...

I prefer to pay more, get a better quality hardware, a better OS, better software, better overall consumer experience, and just enjoy my computer for what I use it for, rather than spending my evenings fixing, cleaning, upgrading, patching, reinstalling, complaining....

Thanks. I echo your sentiment.

AI posts an article that simply factually points out some good news about Macs and desktops, and a bunch of folks come out of nowhere making this a flame war between Macs and PCs.

When will they realize that most of us couldn't care?
post #85 of 143
Capnbob, absolutely. Point well taken. That's what makes this exercise so fun and unpredictable. Given Apple's DNA, they don't have it in them to engage in a race to the bottom. Given the world-class products Apple likes to turn out - with breathtaking design and fine engineering with attention paid to so many details, including the packaging and experience of tearing into any Apple product - is their room to clamp down on prices and move more volume?

Given what a company is best at, what is that elusive PROFIT-maximizing point where price and quantity deliver maximum impact.

It is about profits, of course, but in business school, the TR curve is used to illustrate the concept.
post #86 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I was ready to buy a 27" top of the line iMac last year, until I saw it lacked a blu-ray drive.

Since then PCs have come down in price so much I can't see myself buying the iMac, even if Apple ever put a modern optical drive in it. Here in the UK I can literally get a Dell with a higher spec for HALF the price. Just nuts.

You also get Windows 7 and thousands of virus and malware
post #87 of 143
Quote:

it doesn't mean I'm not a geek to the core

Apple does not make any product's for geek's. Geek out battling with your viruse's.
post #88 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Anyway, re price comparisons. From my perspective I thought that with the new iMac Apple had actually trimmed their margins somewhat. It is a very high-specced machine, particularly with regards to the screen. Very high quality, comparable with the ACD and a big improvement on what had gone before. In fact I think that trimming (trimming note, not slashing) would be a very good strategy for Apple now. The traditionally high margins were probably a necessity when they were struggling, but now they are on the front foot across all sectors so could afford less profit per unit as unit sales continue to climb. Being Apple, this would probably take the form of better specs rather than reduced price, which brings us back to iMac.

I hope Apple doesn't lower there price's. They use that money too innovate. And we get the benefit's of that.
post #89 of 143
Now just think how much more sales they'd have
IF THEY'D JUST MAKE THE FREAKING xMAC ALREADY!!!!!
"-but Jimmy has fear? A thousand times no. I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey strong bowels were girded with strength like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the...
"-but Jimmy has fear? A thousand times no. I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey strong bowels were girded with strength like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the...
post #90 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

Well maybe Blu-Ray will take off, but I hope not.
I also read rumors maybe even here that the next line of MBP's will offer a Blu-Ray option. I hope Blu-Ray is not mandatory. I have no interest in that technology at all.
To me spinning discs should be on the way out becuase moving parts always causes problems. I think media could and should be delivered via a thumb drive or SD card.
Like this ...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Beatles+...=01&id=2062730

Steve will never ruin his computer's with Blu-Ray. And unless that Beatles dongle incudes Apple Lossless, it is FAIL.
post #91 of 143
Quote:

Or maybe both? The most sophisticated people use Apple products exclusively. They are not for geeks.
post #92 of 143
Quote:

Dell wants to buy up Apple and shut it down! But they will FAIL.

I would say you're correct about that FAIL part since Apple is seven times larger than Dell by market capitalization.

It would be like a minnow trying to swallow a whale...
post #93 of 143
The iMac is truly an amazing computer. I have recommended it to many of my friends and they love it. Being #1 best seller desktop on Amazon does tell something.
post #94 of 143
I wish the iMac was modular.
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
post #95 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

I wish the iMac was modular.

You wish it was an Xmac, and you are a witch.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #96 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Lol! That's funny, I'd been wondering if there had been a rip in the space/time continuum and an anti-teckstud had slipped though! Let's hope they never meet because the result would be catastrophic!

I was thinking it was just another of the several teckstud personae that pop up from time to time, except that this time he is trolling the other trolls and/or just trying to parody the ultimate fanboy.
post #97 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

To be fair, iMacs contributing 25% of Desktop growth (quoted at 3% overall) means that iMac growth will add 0.75% to global desktop growth (based on 70% or so iMac sales growth) which still means that the iMac is a rounding error in overall sales... but that is still explosive growth at high margins for Apple.

I think you are wrong there Captain. If (all) desktop sales sales increase by 3% this year, that still amounts to a pretty small figure. Only around 4 million PCs.... and Macs.

If Apple sells one million more iMacs than last year... then that will represent 25% of desktop growth.
post #98 of 143
Quote:

Oh give it a rest.

I haven't had a virus on a PC in the best part of a decade.

... that you <KNOW> about! Seriously, good on ya for being an enlightened consumer and maintaining the right protection on your PC. And buying what has the most value for you. As a Microsoft certified professional and PC user myself though - I'd rather (and do) come home to a Mac (my iMac G5 which is still running strong - six years and counting).

In the totally unreliable and rumor-based observation category, I have heard reports of bot hacks that actually clean other virii and hacks off of a compromised PC to reduce competition for their own use. So a bot infection might actually increase the performance of your PC, as least temporarily. Again, based on rumor and hearsay, don't give it more emphasis or credibility than it merits.

By the way - what's the MAC address of your machine.....
post #99 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You wish it was an Xmac, and you are a witch.

Well... "xMac" is a very vague definition. While, yes, I'd love an Apple Mid-Tower, I'd settle for a modular iMac.

Magic broom away!
post #100 of 143
Quote:

Well... "xMac" is a very vague definition. While, yes, I'd love an Apple Mid-Tower, I'd settle for a modular iMac.

Magic broom away!

So now I'm curious-- would modular mean that Apple would sell all the parts together, but that you could reconfigure or separate them? I guess by "parts" I mean the CPU and screen.
post #101 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Another clueless member. Something tells me you haven't the slightest idea what would even cause a BSOD.

Ummmm,

bad device driver
registry corruption or other syntax error
memory errors, including overruns, address mismatches, address errors
system interface errors, buss errors, interface errors
mod load errors
hardware failure: RAM, drive fails

yeah those account for most of them
post #102 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd051572 View Post

My 4-year old powerbook just blew a logic board. I was considering replacing it with a sexy new macbook until I realized that iPad + iMac is both fiscally and conveniently a better deal. Most of the time I'm on the go I don't really want a full computer, but when I want a full computer, I want a huge screen, lots of space and no heat on my lap.
I have my 27" iMac on a cart so if I want to bring it to different rooms I can and in that way it is portable, but I would never need it in another location besides my house.

think alike. yeah, that's the set-up I'm priming for myself.
post #103 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

So now I'm curious-- would modular mean that Apple would sell all the parts together, but that you could reconfigure or separate them? I guess by "parts" I mean the CPU and screen.

The purists will hate this idea... I envision:

- A slide-out tray to replace an HDD. It could even be styled like the Mac Pro's beautiful trays.
- A RAM upgrade door
- and a nerd service panel through which we could exchange, yes, CPU and GPU.

Apple's first order of business should be to give the iMac a discrete GPU card. Considering the Cube had one in a much smaller space AND passively cooled, I think they could do it.

Their second order of business would be to SUPPORT MODERN GPUs, for crying out loud!

-Clive
post #104 of 143
Quote:

- A slide-out tray to replace an HDD. It could even be styled like the Mac Pro's beautiful trays.
- A RAM upgrade door

Apple's first order of business should be to give the iMac a discrete GPU card. Considering the Cube had one in a much smaller space AND passively cooled, I think they could do it.

Their second order of business would be to SUPPORT MODERN GPUs, for crying out loud!

-Clive

I wouldn't call them "purists". More like realists!

Pretty much everything you describe, above, is available in a conventional desktop tower PC. That's the type of PC that the original article states has been declining in market share.
post #105 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Why is Blu-Ray a bag of hurt?

Bad DRM for one!

Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad (2nd gen), 14G Ram, Two DVD-RW Drives, OS X 10.9
Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, SuperDrive, ATI X1600, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.7
1TB Time Capsule

Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad (2nd gen), 14G Ram, Two DVD-RW Drives, OS X 10.9
Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, SuperDrive, ATI X1600, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.7
1TB Time Capsule

post #106 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

I wouldn't call them "purists". More like realists!

Pretty much everything you describe, above, is available in a conventional desktop tower PC. That's the type of PC that the original article states has been declining in market share.

Of course you wouldn't allude to correlation implying causation, would you?

As Apple's marketshare grows, they *should* become at least a little more accommodating of the whims of their users.

Do I expect to see a modular iMac at some point in the future? Not at all. But it would go a long, long way towards finally shutting up the very vocal mac-using prosumers, as well as the nay-saying, PC-building hobbyists.

-Clive
post #107 of 143
Quote:

-Clive

I think it's coming.

I know for a fact that a lot of gamers, like my friend Ryan for example, do NOT want to fuck with their computer in the slightest. If buying a machine like a Mac not only meant stability, security, and ease of use, but also included GAMING, he's exactly the type to buy one and not look back for an instant.
post #108 of 143
Quote:

As Apple's marketshare grows, they *should* become at least a little more accommodating of the whims of their users.

Why? Mac market share has been growing for six consecutive years now, while the PC (which offers every conceivable choice) has been declining.

Quote:
Do I expect to see a modular iMac at some point in the future? Not at all. But it would go a long, long way towards finally shutting up the very vocal mac-using prosumers, as well as the nay-saying, PC-building hobbyists.

My mistake. I thought you meant it would be good business for Apple.
post #109 of 143
Quote:

- A RAM upgrade door

-Clive

Only geek's would want that, and Apple doesn't cater to geek's.
post #110 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

He uses 'emerging markets', as in emerging for Apple. Not as in The Emerging Markets...

The article refers to Western Europe and Japan as 'emerging markets' for all PC's, not only Apple...
post #111 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by satcomer View Post

Bad DRM for one!

What makes it any worse than the DRM Apple uses in their products?
post #112 of 143
Quote:

I was ready to buy a 27" top of the line iMac last year, until I saw it lacked a blu-ray drive.

Since then PCs have come down in price so much I can't see myself buying the iMac, even if Apple ever put a modern optical drive in it. Here in the UK I can literally get a Dell with a higher spec for HALF the price. Just nuts.

Meanwhile back on planet Earth...

I'm thrilled with my quad iMac #2. Had to return the first one because of the pixelation problem.

Still not sure why people still complain about the gloss screen thing. I'm next to a window and have zero problems.
post #113 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Bad device drivers would account for most of them. Which is fairly rare these days. However unlike the other member at least you understand why it happens.

You know kind of like the iMac lockups due to bad firmware or kernel panics. I love when fanboys act like Apple hardware and software doesn't have these issues.

The difference is it's the exception not the rule...
post #114 of 143
Quote:

Why? Mac market share has been growing for six consecutive years now, while the PC (which offers every conceivable choice) has been declining.

Again... Correlation does not imply causation.

As a Mac user I'm not going to deny that I think Macs, overall, are superior. That doesn't mean that they are perfect. Just because Apple's business is growing doesn't mean they're doing everything right. Macs and PCs each have their strengths, and it would serve many of the die-hards well to accept that.

Quote:

My mistake. I thought you meant it would be good business for Apple.

The problem is that I WANT to give Apple my business. I've been using Apples for over twenty years. Unfortunately, their hardware offerings currently don't fit my needs. I know I'm not the average user, but that is not to say prosumers are rare by any stretch of the imagination.

What makes my business suddenly not good for Apple?

Quote:

Only geek's would want that, and Apple doesn't cater to geek's.

Yeah, geeks... and people who want to be fiscally responsible by upgrading their existing computer when it starts getting old instead of throwing the entire thing away and buying a whole new unit.

-Clive
post #115 of 143
Quote:

Again... Correlation does not imply causation.
As a Mac user I'm not going to deny that I think Macs, overall, are superior. That doesn't mean that they are perfect. Just because Apple's business is growing doesn't mean they're doing everything right. Macs and PCs each have their strengths, and it would serve many of the die-hards well to accept that.

Yes I heard you the first time. I am not saying that the Mac is doing well because it doesn't offer what you need.... I am saying it is doing well despite not offering what you (and many others here) say you need.

There have been many wise old armchair CEO's on these boards passing along their wisdom to the numbnut execs at Apple. "We need an xMac", matte screens, Blueray, licence Mac OS X, lower the prices, etc etc. Apple seems to have ignored most of this sage advice, and seems to be blissfully unaware that they are.... doomed.

There appears to be a common denominator amongst these armchair pundits. Their "advice" can normally just be boiled down to their own needs.

Quote:
The problem is that I WANT to give Apple my business. I've been using Apples for over twenty years. Unfortunately, their hardware offerings currently don't fit my needs. I know I'm not the average user, but that is not to say prosumers are rare by any stretch of the imagination.
post #116 of 143
Quote:

Yes I heard you the first time. I am not saying that the Mac is doing well because it doesn't offer what you need.... I am saying it is doing well despite not offering what you (and many others here) say you need.

There have been many wise old armchair CEO's on these boards passing along their wisdom to the numbnut execs at Apple. "We need an xMac", matte screens, Blueray, licence Mac OS X, lower the prices, etc etc. Apple seems to have ignored most of this sage advice, and seems to be blissfully unaware that they are.... doomed.

There appears to be a common denominator amongst these armchair pundits. Their "advice" can normally just be boiled down to their own needs.

Yet nowhere did I imply that Apple would be doomed for not catering to prosumers... so what exactly are you implying?

All I'm saying is that there's a segment that Apple used to cater to and now they don't. These are easy sales for them if they just had the right hardware offerings.
post #117 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerrob2 View Post

I'm not sure what the relevance (if any) of your point is, but I checked and you are totally wrong.

Dell XPS all in one 24inch Quad core computer is currently on the Dell site at Inc £1799
Apple Imac all in one 27inch quad Core is currently on the Apple site at £1634 + vat £1919.95

That's not half the price now is it? it's 93% of the price.

it's cheaper but you do get a lot less for you money :-

Dell processor 2.33 Ghz, Ram 2GB, HD 500GB
Imac processor 2.66 Ghz, Ram 4GB, HD 1TB

Oh and I forgot to mention, the Dell is butt ugly, it's speakers look like an elephants ears, it would just keep putting me off my work.

So let me summarise, for that extra £120.95, I get a beautifully crafted imac with a huge screen dwarfing the largest all-in-one available by Dell. It runs Snow leopard and not Windows (that has to be worth the £120.95 on it's own). I don't need to run virus software, I get a faster processor, I get double the ram, I get twice the hard drive, oh and I get ilife pre-installed. Now let me think, which should i go for?

so next time you're trolling the apple sites, at least come along with something relevant and true, that would be nice.

That the iMac is an all in one is totally irrelevant to me, I just want a computer. I compared a Dell desktop to the iMac because the Mac Pro is so stupidly over priced I would have to be insane to ever buy one.

I also find it hard to take anything you say seriously with your childish comments about the appearance of the Dell, and about Windows. Grow up, you are (I assume) not a child.

So no, I'm not 'trolling' (whatever that means) just being sensible. The iMac is Apple's only consumer desktop offering with a modern CPU. Dell by comparison, have a large range of consumer desktop choices.

Call it not like for like if you wish, but I don't give a monkeys, I'm just comparing consumer desktops and Apple have chosen to offer an incredibly limited range.
post #118 of 143
Quote:

I have a Mac AND a PC, so I feel quite qualified to comment.

I have no virii on either, no issues on either, and no complaints with either. I spend zero time looking after either other than 30 seconds installing Windows Security Essentials (a free download) on my Win 7 box when I got it. It handles everything automatically and never bothers me. It has never found a virus and I have never had any issues.

To achieve this I browse the web and download in a normal way using Chrome and Firefox.

Amazing, eh? But true.

As for Apple build quality, my MacBook has been repaired 4 times now (the case keeps cracking at the edges, and it's treated VERY carefully, plus the DVD drive died). My Airport Extreme drops all connections to the web about every 2 or 3 days and needs to be restarted. It's been replaced once and still does it. My iPhone has been replaced 3 times. The first had a weak 3G radio, the second was just poorly put together, and the third just flat out died. My Apple TV hasn't been replaced but loses it's connection to iTunes about once a week and needs to be restarted.

My PC (a Shuttle) has been replaced once when the motherboard died.

So nothing is perfect, especially Apple hardware.
post #119 of 143
Quote:

That the iMac is an all in one is totally irrelevant to me, I just want a computer.

So get a dell tower and not an iMac. Simple, no? I guess the hard part is not complaining about it.

Quote:
I also find it hard to take anything you say seriously with your childish comments about the appearance of the Dell, and about Windows. Grow up, you are (I assume) not a child.

Part of the price you don't want to pay is for better looks and OS X. You're on an Apple fan site. Deal.

Quote:
So no, I'm not 'trolling' (whatever that means) just being sensible. The iMac is Apple's only consumer desktop offering with a modern CPU. Dell by comparison, have a large range of consumer desktop choices.

So what? With the massive growth in iMac sales Apple is certainly serving the needs of many folks at such high prices. Don't like it...do what you did and buy a Dell. THEN MOVE ON.

Quote:
Call it not like for like if you wish, but I don't give a monkeys, I'm just comparing consumer desktops and Apple have chosen to offer an incredibly limited range.

And no one here cares other than trolls. The cost/spec ratio grossly favors Dell. No kidding. Pointing the obvious for the 10 billionth time on this forum isn't profound or useful and is pretty much trolling for the kind of reaction you got.

The difference in ease of use far outweighs the absolute cost delta (a few hundred bucks) for many many folks and that number is growing.
post #120 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesw View Post

You also get Windows 7 and thousands of virus and malware

You need to (re)join the real world and stop watching those comedy fact free I'm a Mac/I'm a PC ads.

PC's only have virii if you are cluess. Harsh but true.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's iMac to account for 25% of global desktop growth in 2010