or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to ban film-based screen protectors from company stores
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple to ban film-based screen protectors from company stores

post #1 of 247
Thread Starter 
Consumers seeking a protective film for the screen on their iPhone, iPod, iPad or Mac will soon have to look outside of Apple's retail stores, which will soon halt sales of the accessories indefinitely.

Citing sources at a number of iPhone and iPod accessory makers, iLounge claims that Apple has been in dialog with these vendors for "some time now" regarding the impending ban.

"Apple has said that it will removeÂ*both film-only solutions from its stores, as well as any case or other accessory that includes film protection as part of its package, such as cases that include film screen protectors," according to the report.

It adds that the ban -- which covers film protectors for iPods, iPhones, iPads, and Mac -- will impact all forms of screen film, "including completely clear film, anti-glare film, and mirrored film, regardless of whether the purpose of the film is protective, decorative, or both."

The move, which goes into effect in May, will reportedly represent a significant setback for screen film vendors, who generate a large portion of their sales through Apple's online and brick-and-mortar retail stores.

A quick check at AppleStore.com shows that an anti-glare film protector from market leader Power Support is the top selling item listed as part of the store's "Cases" department, while similar offerings for the iPhone and iPod rank as the 6th and 7th most popular "Accessories" overall, respectively.



In usual Apple fashion, the company is remaining mum on the motives behind its decision. Left to speculate, one film vendor suggested the ban may be an attempt by electronics maker to better promote the durability of its display screens, this despite widespread reports of scratches appearing quite easily on its handheld offerings for years.

Beginning with the release of the iPhone 3GS last June, Apple also debuted an oil-based, "fingerprint-resistant" oleophobic coating on the handset which is rendered useless if a protective film is adhered on top of it. Therefore, it's possible that plans for more widespread use of this technology across all of Apple's offerings could also serve as a reason for the ban.
post #2 of 247
this despite widespread reports of scratches appearing quite easily on its handheld offerings for years.


Apple device screens are among the most durable and scratch-resistant you'll ever find. There's no actual need for any screen protection.

As for the ban, screen protection kind of defeats the purpose of oleophobic coatings, and does send the message that Apple's screens are in need of protection.

I've stopped using plastic screen protectors for my iPhone long ago, preferring a nice, thin, plastic/transparent backing. Works great.

Further, you can get your screen protectors elsewhere, just not in Apple Stores. No big deal.
post #3 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... In usual Apple fashion, the company is remaining mum on the motives behind its decision. Left to speculate, one film vendor suggested the ban may be an attempt by electronics maker to better promote the durability of its display screens, this despite widespread reports of scratches appearing quite easily on its handheld offerings for years. ...

This is totally false, or at best the existence of the "reports" is true, even though they have no basis in fact.

I think you should back this nonsense up or remove it from the article. We aren't Republican's here. You can't just repeat lies over and over until they are believed.

Other than a few nutbars with videos on YouTube of dubious authenticity, there are no "widespread reports" of problems with the iPhone screen scratching. The only serious attempts at testing the durability of the screen that I've seen show people scratching really hard across the surface with sets of keys without leaving a scratch. In fact, it's very very difficult to scratch an iPhone screen. It's tougher than any of the silly plastic coverings for sale that supposedly "protect it."

I wouldn't mind betting that Apple removed them because they don't want to get involved in a fraud lawsuit for selling products that actually don't do anything close to what they are advertised as doing. It's borderline fraud to be selling a plastic screen "protector" for a hardened, tempered glass screen.

You may want a full-fledged case for your iPhone and the chrome ring and the plastic back will certainly get scuffed, but the *last* thing you need protection for is the tough glass screen.
post #4 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

this despite widespread reports of scratches appearing quite easily on its handheld offerings for years.


Apple device screens are among the most durable and scratch-resistant you'll ever find. There's no actual need for any screen protection.

As for the ban, screen protection kind of defeats the purpose of oleophobic coatings, and does send the message that Apple's screens are in need of protection.

I've stopped using plastic screen protectors for my iPhone long ago, preferring a nice, thin, plastic/transparent backing. Works great.

Further, you can get your screen protectors elsewhere, just not in Apple Stores. No big deal.

GorillaGlass I believe it's called? I know my ZHD has it, but I'm certain my DROID has it. In and out of my pockets and carrying pouches and not a single scratch.

But either way, I agree that screen protectors aren't really needed any more. Decorative and anti-glare might be the last legs they stand on. And for the paranoid consumer who doesn't know of the strengths of these screens.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #5 of 247
People who cover their iPhone screen are just as likely to cover their furniture with plastic. It gets in the way and doesn't look as good.

I've had iPhones from Day 1 and never had a scratch on the screen.

Smart move by Apple.
post #6 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

As for the ban, screen protection kind of defeats the purpose of oleophobic coatings, and does send the message that Apple's screens are in need of protection.

They do need. iPod Touch doesn't have any oleophobic coating
American centrism dominates 50% of the population here. That half don't think outside the box ... or perhaps just don't think. © digitalclips
Reply
American centrism dominates 50% of the population here. That half don't think outside the box ... or perhaps just don't think. © digitalclips
Reply
post #7 of 247
I love my Oleophobic screen protector I got from a China supplier.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
post #8 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

this despite widespread reports of scratches appearing quite easily on its handheld offerings for years.


Apple device screens are among the most durable and scratch-resistant you'll ever find. There's no actual need for any screen protection.

As for the ban, screen protection kind of defeats the purpose of oleophobic coatings, and does send the message that Apple's screens are in need of protection.

I've stopped using plastic screen protectors for my iPhone long ago, preferring a nice, thin, plastic/transparent backing. Works great.

Further, you can get your screen protectors elsewhere, just not in Apple Stores. No big deal.

That sounds ridiculous at best. "It sends a message that Apple screens are in need of protection"? Maybe for some, maybe not for others. This sounds preposterous. At first I thought maybe the protectors where damaging the screens as the reason for pulling them. I love Apple. Been loving Apple since I was a kid with an Apple II. But Apple seems so image over conscience these days. More so then ever.

Or perhaps I am wrong. If the screens actually do nothing to protect them... get rid of them before apple gets a lawsuit.
post #9 of 247
you guys are all insane. My iPhone 2G got scratched the first week, I got a screen protector. My GF's touch has a huge scratch in the front because was kept with keys without a protection.

Also, the oleophobic coating feels sticky when you drag something, the screen protector makes easier.

But again, you're all insane, you can't be THAT much of a Cool Aid drinker for a company that CHARGES you for products. Seriously.
post #10 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Troy View Post

People who cover their iPhone screen are just as likely to cover their furniture with plastic. It gets in the way and doesn't look as good.

I've had iPhones from Day 1 and never had a scratch on the screen.

Smart move by Apple.

Same here. I have had all iPhones since launch day of first gen. I have never used a case and never used a protective screen film/cover. I carry my phone lose in my pocket. My iPhone's have always been immaculate and scratch free. I must say though the oleophobic coating added on the 3Gs is phenomenal, make a world of difference.
post #11 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is totally false, or at best the existence of the "reports" is true, even though they have no basis in fact.

I think you should back this nonsense up or remove it from the article. We aren't Republican's here. You can't just repeat lies over and over until they are believed.

Other than a few nutbars with videos on YouTube of dubious authenticity, there are no "widespread reports" of problems with the iPhone screen scratching. The only serious attempts at testing the durability of the screen that I've seen show people scratching really hard across the surface with sets of keys without leaving a scratch. In fact, it's very very difficult to scratch an iPhone screen. It's tougher than any of the silly plastic coverings for sale that supposedly "protect it."

I wouldn't mind betting that Apple removed them because they don't want to get involved in a fraud lawsuit for selling products that actually don't do anything close to what they are advertised as doing. It's borderline fraud to be selling a plastic screen "protector" for a hardened, tempered glass screen.

You may want a full-fledged case for your iPhone and the chrome ring and the plastic back will certainly get scuffed, but the *last* thing you need protection for is the tough glass screen.

Generally true. But the article may be refering to reports of the original iPods up to the video iPod that still had the plastic front. Those would scratch just looking at them... I know, I still have four of them. but I agree the iPhone and iPod Tuoch are super resistent to scratching... I don't use film on my 3GS and it goes in an out of my jean pocket and has no scrathes, plus the coatying the put on is a godsend... one wipe and all is clean!

I am sure the iPad will be the same in durability and "cleanability".
post #12 of 247
having 3 iphones in our house, there is not a scratch on any of them. I suspect this ban is becuase of the severe performance degradation of the touch screen those these films. They are far less respsonsive than those without.
post #13 of 247
For this article to be more useful, I recommend this:

s/ban/no longer sell/g

There, that's better. "Ban" is a bit sensationalistic, don't you think? If Apple decides to not sell something in their stores, it's their prerogative. And screen protectors are a dime-a-dozen on eBay and elsewhere. Big deal.
post #14 of 247
Incidentally, while out-and-about in the last week, I've seen 2 people using their iPhones with big cracks on the top half of the screen. Both were using the keyboard-half fine though. Strange coincidence - they were hundreds of miles away from each other.

A friend of mine persuaded Apple to replace his iPhone as it was cracked, even though it was out of warranty.
post #15 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvassallo View Post

Same here. I have had all iPhones since launch day of first gen. I have never used a case and never used a protective screen film/cover. I carry my phone lose in my pocket. My iPhone's have always been immaculate and scratch free. I must say though the oleophobic coating added on the 3Gs is phenomenal, make a world of difference.

It is indeed, but when you buy a iPhone 3GS and a week later it gets a considerable size scratch in the side of the screen by keeping in same pocket as coins, you wonder who is talking nonsense here
After battling with Apple UK, etc..., they repaired the screen for £50, as one of their answers was: "sorry sir, but it is not designed to give full scratch protection, even less if in contact with coins or keys".
So, I bought a Zagg screen protector (and back protector too) and works great, doesn't really loose much feel, it does really protect it against any scratches (none yet on the actual screen) and you can't see it at all. Yes, I would prefer not to have it, but I don't want to keep getting scratches every 2 months. I don't know, we here in the UK might get rubbish screens, or our coins are heavier or sharper, but it does definitively happens (and heard about a few people with the same problem).
Cheers
post #16 of 247
This seems like a silly move. If the iPhone / iPod Touch screens don't need a film protector they won't sell. I have an iPhone 3G and after using it for a few days, I added an anti-glare, anti-fingerprint screen protector because I couldn't stand the glare or fingerprints.

Apple's censors are hard at work. They should simply let the customer decide whether they need a protector or not.
post #17 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

this despite widespread reports of scratches appearing quite easily on its handheld offerings for years.


Apple device screens are among the most durable and scratch-resistant you'll ever find. There's no actual need for any screen protection.

As for the ban, screen protection kind of defeats the purpose of oleophobic coatings, and does send the message that Apple's screens are in need of protection.

I've stopped using plastic screen protectors for my iPhone long ago, preferring a nice, thin, plastic/transparent backing. Works great.

Further, you can get your screen protectors elsewhere, just not in Apple Stores. No big deal.

you're insane

my BB Curve 8330 is a lot tougher and can withstand a lot more punishment than my 3GS that has rubber cover for it as well as a screen protector
post #18 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyMethod View Post

you guys are all insane. My iPhone 2G got scratched the first week, I got a screen protector. My GF's touch has a huge scratch in the front because was kept with keys without a protection.

Also, the oleophobic coating feels sticky when you drag something, the screen protector makes easier.

But again, you're all insane, you can't be THAT much of a Cool Aid drinker for a company that CHARGES you for products. Seriously.

Perhaps your screen feels sticky for another adult related reason. 3 iPhones, 3 years, no scratches. The only protection it has is whatever it came with. It sits in my pocket all day, with my keys.
post #19 of 247
The iPad case is rumored to be a huuuge seller. Perhaps an iPhone case is in the mix for the new iPhone version 4. makes sense...
post #20 of 247
I used screen protectors for my Palm PDAs. You could scratch their plastic screens by just looking at them. I've had three iPhones all naked and not a scratch on them. Protecting a glass screen with a plastic sheet makes as much sense as applying a plastic sheet to your car's windshield. The oleophobic coating is great. Good for Apple. Time to stop this little bit of insanity and ignorance.
post #21 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericvet8b View Post

It is indeed, but when you buy a iPhone 3GS and a week later it gets a considerable size scratch in the side of the screen by keeping in same pocket as coins, you wonder who is talking nonsense here

With coins? Pretty sure no one is trying that except in torture tests.
post #22 of 247
wow! someone at apple is mentally ill. Only explanation.
post #23 of 247
The only problem is that the stupid oleophobic coating itself scratches! It's just a plastic coating on top of an otherwise unscratchable glass surface.

My first gen iPhone remained scratch free for 2 years. My 3GS had a scratch in the middle within a week.

Either way, this is foolish for Apple. People are used to these film coatings, and unless there is some sort of technical innovation rendering film screens useless (and I don't know how technology can innovative out of the human need to protect an expensive gadget), they're just going to be annoying customers, and making Apple Stores less of a one-stop shop.
post #24 of 247
There is no need for this type of protector. The glass is hugely resilient and can be cleaned with glasses cleaner. Good move Apple, this is a 'limited functionality' add on and can make way for more useful accessories in store.
post #25 of 247
not only for scratches, but protects against falls and cracks as well. i'm had my fully protected iphone fall on concrete and there isn't a scratch on it. i've seen people's iphones and ipods with cracked glass and all kinds of crazy things because they don't protect them. and since my 2 year old likes my iphone, protection is a must
post #26 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktinsley View Post

With coins? Pretty sure no one is trying that except in torture tests.

It's a problem because the original iPhone could survive such activity just fine.

A new feature isn't an improvement if it makes the device more prone to damage with what has been established as everyday use, imo.
post #27 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is totally false, or at best the existence of the "reports" is true, even though they have no basis in fact.

I think you should back this nonsense up or remove it from the article. We aren't Republican's here. You can't just repeat lies over and over until they are believed.

Other than a few nutbars with videos on YouTube of dubious authenticity, there are no "widespread reports" of problems with the iPhone screen scratching. The only serious attempts at testing the durability of the screen that I've seen show people scratching really hard across the surface with sets of keys without leaving a scratch. In fact, it's very very difficult to scratch an iPhone screen. It's tougher than any of the silly plastic coverings for sale that supposedly "protect it."

I wouldn't mind betting that Apple removed them because they don't want to get involved in a fraud lawsuit for selling products that actually don't do anything close to what they are advertised as doing. It's borderline fraud to be selling a plastic screen "protector" for a hardened, tempered glass screen.

You may want a full-fledged case for your iPhone and the chrome ring and the plastic back will certainly get scuffed, but the *last* thing you need protection for is the tough glass screen.

I've never seen an iPhone with scratches on the screen either. The metal bezel and plastic backing are the only places an iPhone will get scratches. You would probably have to scratch it with a diamond to make a mark.

It's great they are discontinuing these gimmicky products.
post #28 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyMethod View Post

you guys are all insane. My iPhone 2G got scratched the first week, I got a screen protector. My GF's touch has a huge scratch in the front because was kept with keys without a protection.

Also, the oleophobic coating feels sticky when you drag something, the screen protector makes easier.

But again, you're all insane, you can't be THAT much of a Cool Aid drinker for a company that CHARGES you for products. Seriously.

I can take my keys to my iPod touch's screen like a mad man and it doesn't scratch. If you've done something that forceful in order to scratch the glass then I highly doubt a strip of plastic in front would have saved it.
post #29 of 247
I wont take a chance carrying my Iphone without a screen protector or a case. A screen protector is just the first line of defense for the screen. If you say drop your phone and it happens to hit something in a way that scratches the screen let the protector get scratched first. I have friends who have ipod classics and never used a case or screen protector and they look horrible. I kept my ipod 5G 80gig in a case with a protector and it remained pristine for 3 and a half years and sold it for top dollar.
post #30 of 247
Why does the headline call it a ban? So Apple doesn't want to sell screen protectors in their store, big deal. I don't think it really qualifies as a ban as that word connotes public condemnation. I doubt they are that passionate about it.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
post #31 of 247
This has to be one of Apple's stranger moves! I don't understand why they removed them!

Giovanni B. Saccone
Creativity is just connecting things (Steve Jobs)
> > > My wEb SiTe < < <

Reply

Giovanni B. Saccone
Creativity is just connecting things (Steve Jobs)
> > > My wEb SiTe < < <

Reply
post #32 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

not only for scratches, but protects against falls and cracks as well. i'm had my fully protected iphone fall on concrete and there isn't a scratch on it. i've seen people's iphones and ipods with cracked glass and all kinds of crazy things because they don't protect them. and since my 2 year old likes my iphone, protection is a must

A screen protector wont protect the glass from breaking. I've had my non-"protected" iPhone fall many times screen down and the screen has never broken or scratched either. It is purely chance if your screen breaks or not. A case might help prevent a broken screen in a fall because it actually has substance to it. This is simple physics...
post #33 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by giosaccone View Post

This has to be one of Apple's stranger moves! I don't understand why they removed them!

They were probably tired of complaints that they fall off, don't work, etc.
post #34 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Consumers seeking a protective film for the screen on their iPhone, iPod, iPad or Mac will soon have to look outside of Apple's retail stores, which will soon halt sales of the accessories indefinitely.

Citing sources at a number of iPhone and iPod accessory makers, iLounge claims that Apple has been in dialog with these vendors for "some time now" regarding the impending ban.

"Apple has said that it will remove*both film-only solutions from its stores, as well as any case or other accessory that includes film protection as part of its package, such as cases that include film screen protectors," according to the report.

It adds that the ban -- which covers film protectors for iPods, iPhones, iPads, and Mac -- will impact all forms of screen film, "including completely clear film, anti-glare film, and mirrored film, regardless of whether the purpose of the film is protective, decorative, or both."

The move, which goes into affect in May, will reportedly represent a significant setback for screen film vendors, who generate a large portion of their sales through Apple's online and brick-and-mortar retail stores.

A quick check at AppleStore.com shows that an anti-glare film protector from market leader Power Support is the top selling item listed as part of the store's "Cases" department, while similar offerings for the iPhone and iPod rank as the 6th and 7th most popular "Accessories" overall, respectively.



In usual Apple fashion, the company is remaining mum on the motives behind its decision. Left to speculate, one film vendor suggested the ban may be an attempt by electronics maker to better promote the durability of its display screens, this despite widespread reports of scratches appearing quite easily on its handheld offerings for years.

Beginning with the release of the iPhone 3GS last June, Apple also debuted an oil-based, "fingerprint-resistant" oleophobic coating on the handset which is rendered useless if a protective film is adhered on top of it. Therefore, it's possible that plans for more widespread use of this technology across all of Apple's offerings could also serve as a reason for the ban.

Its about time!! Thanks, Steve!
post #35 of 247
post #36 of 247
I just pay attention to what else is in my pocket with my iPhone.
With the screen off, and reflecting into a light, I can see a lot of tiny scratches after a year of heavy use.
But when the screen is on, they all disappear, which is all I care about.
post #37 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Why does the headline call it a ban? So Apple doesn't want to sell screen protectors in their store, big deal. I don't think it really qualifies as a ban as that word connotes public condemnation. I doubt they are that passionate about it.

Sounds like they search your iPhone when you go to the store and make you remove the screen protector before they let you in.
post #38 of 247
Both my iPod touch (1G) and my iPhone 3GS have scratches on their screens. The 1G iPod touch screen is definitely not very scratch resistant. I think the small scratch on the 3GS was caused by the rivet on my jeans while putting it in my pocket.

I had several Nokia phones before my iPhone and over the course of many years, I experienced zero scratched screens despite carrying them in my pockets w/o any case. Of course, one could argue that the surface area of the screens on those phones were relatively smaller and did not include touchscreen functionality.

My guess is that the "ban" on film protectors is more likely either because Apple has some data which shows that film protectors interfere with multitouch functionality or reduce the perceived image quality (e.g. contrast) of the display. Alternatively, it is also possible that films reduce heat dissipation by acting as thermal isolators which may not be good for the Phone.
post #39 of 247
Just speculating, but is it possible these protective films could interfere with touchscreen functionality now or in the future?
post #40 of 247
Im still going to keep my screen protector on mine. I do like having that extra later there just in case.

So what's next for Apple to ban? Headphones at the stores? The iPod/iPhone headphones are good enough and having 3rd party headphones being sold at the stores would mean that the quality of the Apple headphones is sub par.

Not that I would actually buy the headphones at the Apple store...and yes, I still use the white iPhone ones.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to ban film-based screen protectors from company stores