or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple director Jerome York passes away
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple director Jerome York passes away

post #1 of 38
Thread Starter 
Apple on Thursday sadly announced the death of Board member Jerome B. (Jerry) York, who had been listed in critical condition in a Michigan hospital following a collapse at his home two nights ago.

York, the chairman, president and CEO of Harwinton Capital, joined Apple’s Board of Directors in 1997. He was the former CFO of IBM and Chrysler, and former vice chairman of Tracinda. He is widely acknowledged for his contributions at both companies during their turnarounds.

“Jerry joined Apple’s Board in 1997 when most doubted the company’s future. He has been a pillar of financial and business expertise and insight on our Board for over a dozen years,” said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. “It’s been a privilege to know and work with Jerry, and I’m going to miss him a lot.”

York was born in Memphis, Tennessee in 1938. He graduated from the United States Military Academy, and received an MS from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and an MBA from the University of Michigan. Trained as an engineer, York worked his way up through Chrysler to become CFO.

According to his wife Eilene, York collapsed at his Rochester, Michigan home Tuesday night and was transferred to Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital by emergency services.

Doctors attending to the 71-year old Michigan-native said he suffered a massive cerebral hemorrhage.



"With deep sadness we announce the loss of a member of our corporate family and dear friend, Jerry York," Apple says in a tribute posted to its home page. "Jerry courageously joined Apple's Board of Directors in 1997, when many doubted the company's future, and contributed his extraordinary character, business expertise, and leadership to help guide Apple for over a decade. Jerry was one of kind --and we're going to miss him dearly."
post #2 of 38
R. I. P.

Giovanni B. Saccone
Creativity is just connecting things (Steve Jobs)
> > > My wEb SiTe < < <

Reply

Giovanni B. Saccone
Creativity is just connecting things (Steve Jobs)
> > > My wEb SiTe < < <

Reply
post #3 of 38
It is true that he was quite central to both IBM's (people might have forgotten that, at one point, IBM was in dire straits) and Chrysler's turnarounds. And obviously, given his year of joining, Apple's.

Apple now needs to find someone as a replacement who will be farsighted at providing advice and guidance on managing growth and innovation in a post-Jobs era.
post #4 of 38
AI, why didn't you post at least a photo of him?
post #5 of 38
My Condolences to Mr. York's Family and Friends.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #6 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmondo View Post

AI, why didn't you post at least a photo of him?

We did.
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
Reply
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
Reply
post #7 of 38
Apple's news release uses the adjective "sad" to announce Mr. York's death. Although no doubt Apple's fellow directors, executives and many others in the organization are saddened by Mr. York's passing, in following accepted journalistic standards for news writing, one would would not characterize Apple the company as being sad. People have feelings; companies don't. Corporations may be persons in the legal sense, but they are not alive and don't have emotions. (Wait just a few years, all you AI seekers. R. Daneel Olivaw may be knocking at your door. It may be a lot sooner than CE 5020.)

That being said, from this one human, sincere condolences to Mr. York's family, friends and associates.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #8 of 38
Rest in peace Jerry, my best of wishes go to your family.
post #9 of 38
May he rest in peace. My thoughts go out to his family.
post #10 of 38
that sucks.

eat your veggies, kids
post #11 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It is true that he was quite central to both IBM's (people might have forgotten that, at one point, IBM was in dire straits) and Chrysler's turnarounds. And obviously, given his year of joining, Apple's.

Apple now needs to find someone as a replacement who will be farsighted at providing advice and guidance on managing growth and innovation in a post-Jobs era.

Condolences to the survivors.

Perhaps Marc Andreesen is available.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #12 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

that sucks.

eat your veggies, kids

And failing that, buy an iPad.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #13 of 38
adieu Jerome, c'est dûr de mourir au printemps tu sais

I am sure this song would have put a smile on your face. It is a very cheerful song, with very uplifting lyrics despite the very sad content.

Thank you for believing in the positive message of Apple when Apple was facing grim times.

We've lost an inspirational and brave man. Rest in peace Jerome York.
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

adieu Jerome, c'est dûr de mourir au printemps tu sais

I am sure this song would have put a smile on your face. It is a very cheerful song, with very uplifting lyrics despite the very sad content.

Thank you for believing in the positive message of Apple when Apple was facing grim times.

We've lost an inspirational and brave man. Rest in peace Jerome York.

One of the oh so beautiful Brel songs, I hope he departed with la paix dans l' ame. My thoughts go out to his family.
post #15 of 38
Thanks Jerry.
post #16 of 38
Rest in peace

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #17 of 38
RIP Jerry.
post #18 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Apple's news release uses the adjective "sad" to announce Mr. York's death. Although no doubt Apple's fellow directors, executives and many others in the organization are saddened by Mr. York's passing, in following accepted journalistic standards for news writing, one would would not characterize Apple the company as being sad. People have feelings; companies don't. Corporations may be persons in the legal sense, but they are not alive and don't have emotions. (Wait just a few years, all you AI seekers. R. Daneel Olivaw may be knocking at your door. It may be a lot sooner than CE 5020.)

That being said, from this one human, sincere condolences to Mr. York's family, friends and associates.

I don't believe you get it. This isn't a press-release from Apple about an Executive. Jerry was one of the major mentors to Steve and several executives who aided in getting Apple back to solvency. He was a dear friend to Steve and several other key decision makers, at Apple.

This is a formal obituary statement by Apple, on the cover of the corporate web site.
post #19 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I don't believe you get it. This isn't a press-release from Apple about an Executive. Jerry was one of the major mentors to Steve and several executives who aided in getting Apple back to solvency. He was a dear friend to Steve and several other key decision makers, at Apple.

This is a formal obituary statement by Apple, on the cover of the corporate web site.

I'd like to learn more about his role in the transition. His current data is big on personal history, but I'd like to specifically learn about his contribution in turning Apple around. Sounds like you have some knowledge, please - love to hear more.
post #20 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Condolences to the survivors. Perhaps Marc Andreesen is available.

Heh... While I do like Marc and have held numerous chats with him many years ago (in a previous life when I was maintaining a certain web centric news site that I started and eventually sold)... I don't think Marc and Jerry are really the same league, Marc knows his stuff but is far more technology minded and not what most would consider a financial wunderkind and yes I know about his venture capital endeavors and I'm sure it will do VERY well but funding technology startups isn't the same thing as being a being someone who can read and interpret US and/or Global financial markets.

I also think Marc and Steve would clash like CRAZY! But hey... maybe I'm wrong and the more I think about it... having Marc on the board would certainly make for some interesting times but again I'm not sure Apple would be as beneficial as they were with Jerry.
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #21 of 38
Quote:
“Jerry joined Apple’s Board in 1997 when most doubted the company’s future. He has been a pillar of financial and business expertise and insight on our Board for over a dozen years,” said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. “It’s been a privilege to know and work with Jerry, and I’m going to miss him a lot.”


I agree. Jerome York gave Apple his credebility in a time of need. We should all be grateful for his generosity.


\\\

When a ship sinks, rats flee. Jerome York ran the other way. For this alone, we should be grateful.
post #22 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Heh... While I do like Marc and have held numerous chats with him many years ago (in a previous life when I was maintaining a certain web centric news site that I started and eventually sold)... I don't think Marc and Jerry are really the same league, Marc knows his stuff but is far more technology minded and not what most would consider a financial wunderkind.

I also think Marc and Steve would clash like CRAZY! But hey... maybe I'm wrong.

When people discover they are 'worth' billions, it could tend to distort their sense of self-importance.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Heh... While I do like Marc and have held numerous chats with him many years ago (in a previous life when I was maintaining a certain web centric news site that I started and eventually sold)... I don't think Marc and Jerry are really the same league, Marc knows his stuff but is far more technology minded and not what most would consider a financial wunderkind and yes I know about his venture capital endeavors and I'm sure it will do VERY well but funding technology startups isn't the same thing as being a being someone who can read and interpret US and/or Global financial markets.

I also think Marc and Steve would clash like CRAZY! But hey... maybe I'm wrong and the more I think about it... having Marc on the board would certainly make for some interesting times but again I'm not sure Apple would be as beneficial as they were with Jerry.

I agree. Steve will go with a seasoned Blue Chipper to add to the team.
post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

I'd like to learn more about his role in the transition. His current data is big on personal history, but I'd like to specifically learn about his contribution in turning Apple around. Sounds like you have some knowledge, please - love to hear more.

Thank you for the interest, but I'm not going to detail his career while I was at Apple so someone can add it to Wikipedia or put it in a book.

When his Biography comes you'll read about it. He's a well known figure in business who won't have a shortage of biographers wanting to write about him, in his honor.

I imagine the family will have a biographer in mind and then the many interviews will commence.

Of course, if Fred Anderson, who was a big wig, like Jerry, wants to lament about him it sure would be nice.
post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Condolences to the survivors.

Perhaps Marc Andreesen is available.


I don't think Marc Andreesen is good enough. He's got nothing to contribute.


My choice:


1) Bob Iger - Disney CEO
2) Larry Ellison - Oracle CEO
3) Warren Buffet
4) Jeff Immelt - GE CEO
5) John Chambers - Cisco CEO
6) Rupert Murdoch - Fox CEO
post #26 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesw View Post

I don't think Marc Andreesen is good enough. He's got nothing to contribute.


My choice:


1) Bob Iger - Disney CEO
2) Larry Ellison - Oracle CEO
3) Warren Buffet
4) Jeff Immelt - GE CEO
5) John Chambers - Cisco CEO
6) Rupert Murdoch - Fox CEO

5 out 6 ain't bad!
post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I don't believe you get it. This isn't a press-release from Apple about an Executive. Jerry was one of the major mentors to Steve and several executives who aided in getting Apple back to solvency. He was a dear friend to Steve and several other key decision makers, at Apple.

This is a formal obituary statement by Apple, on the cover of the corporate web site.

On the contrary - it's apparently you who doesn't get it. Perhaps you didn't look at the next page following today's corporate header page with Mr. York's photo. That's the news release. See this link:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/03/18york.html

Do you think that Steve Jobs and Apple, Inc. are one and the same and indistinguishable? Some seem to hold that view, which leads to the absurdity that - come the time (not for many years I hope) SJ departs this world - Apple would disappear along with him.

BTW, they're properly called news releases, not press releases. The press is specifically the print segment within the news universe.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

When people discover they are 'worth' billions, it could tend to distort their sense of self-importance.

Yea... funny how that work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I agree. Steve will go with a seasoned Blue Chipper to add to the team.

I tend to agree...

Finally for those interested (since I was) here is some of Marc's thought about print media and not to ruin the surprise the title of the article is "Andreessen’s Advice To Old Media: “Burn The Boats”"

Link: http://techcrunch.com/2010/03/06/and...ia-burn-boats/

Some interesting passages...

Quote:
Andreessen once famously put the New York Times on deathwatch for its stubborn insistence on trying to save and prolong its legacy print business. With all the recent excitement in media quarters recently over Apple’s upcoming iPad and other tablet computers, and their potential to create a market for paid digital versions and subscriptions of newspapers and magazines, I wondered if Andreessen still felt the same way. Does he think the iPad will change anything?

Andreessen asked me if TechCrunch is working on an iPad app or planning on putting up a paywall. I gave him a blank stare. He laughed and noted that none of the newer Web publications (he’s an investor in the Business Insider) are either. “”All the new companies are not spending a nanosecond on the iPad or thinking of ways to charge for content. The older companies, that is all they are thinking about.”

But people pay for apps. Wouldn’t he pay for a beautiful touchscreen version of a magazine? Maybe, if it were something genuinely new that blew him away. It would have to be more than an article with video and graphics though. (I agree, otherwise it’s no better than a CD-ROM).

Oh, and he points out, that the iPad will have a “fantastic browser.” No matter how many iPads the Apple sells, the Web will always be the bigger market. “There are 2 billion people on the Web,” he says. “The iPad will be a huge success if it sells 5 million units.”

He continues to go on about how erecting pay walls is NOT going to save them (the print business that is).

Also a very interesting video from Charlie Rose from about a year ago:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4260403&hl=en#

Where he discusses lots of different things INCLUDING how print based publications (like the times) need to put a stop to their bleeding print editions (and do it 'now' but doesn't begin to address the near term impact that would have so I took it with a grain of salt) and he also speculated that Apple WILL be making an 'iPod Touch/iPhone' with a larger screen (got the size wrong saying it would be 7") but he stated that he'd be the first one online to buy one... So he's clearly not negative about the products potential.
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #29 of 38
Charlie Rose is a twat, one of the lucky twats that got on the ebb of the .com bubble. Mediocre and uninteresting in every respect. No place for their kind at apple.
post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Do you think that Steve Jobs and Apple, Inc. are one and the same and indistinguishable? Some seem to hold that view, which leads to the absurdity that - come the time (not for many years I hope) SJ departs this world - Apple would disappear along with him.

Your first remarks were self-aggrandizing and muddled, yet you came back to see if you coudn't dig yourself a deeper hole anyway.

1) Yes, as a matter of fact, Steve Jobs IS Apple. There are many talented people at Apple, but without Jobs they'd be just another company.

2) Yes, as a matter of fact, Apple WILL pretty much fade away once jobs is gone. Not all at once, and maybe not altogether, but in fact the company will no longer be so special after Job leaves (for whatever reason). In the same way, companies like Disney, GE (Edison) and Ford were never the same once their founders were no longer driving them.

Those are the lessons of history which, unfortunately, you seem determined to ignore.
post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Your first remarks were self-aggrandizing and muddled, yet you came back to see if you coudn't dig yourself a deeper hole anyway.

I simply laid out the facts and accepted journalism standards. But since you seem set on making a personal attack, you wouldn't want facts to get in the way of ignorance, would you?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Your first remarks were self-aggrandizing and muddled, yet you came back to see if you coudn't dig yourself a deeper hole anyway.

1) Yes, as a matter of fact, Steve Jobs IS Apple. There are many talented people at Apple, but without Jobs they'd be just another company.

2) Yes, as a matter of fact, Apple WILL pretty much fade away once jobs is gone. Not all at once, and maybe not altogether, but in fact the company will no longer be so special after Job leaves (for whatever reason). In the same way, companies like Disney, GE (Edison) and Ford were never the same once their founders were no longer driving them.

Those are the lessons of history which, unfortunately, you seem determined to ignore.

I agree that Jobs and the company are one and that without his fire in the belly driving innovation Apple will continue to "live" but it will be like North Korea without a fearless leader (not to put too fine a point on things).

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #33 of 38
RIP Jerome York

My thoughts and prayers are with his family at this extremely sad time.

I know only to well what they would be feeling at the present time I have had two members of my family have the same thing happen the most recent 3 yrs ago was my mum. It is not easy to deal with.
post #34 of 38
My (belated) condolences to Mr. York's family, friends and the people at Apple Inc. May he certainly rest in peace.

I was surprised by Apple's mentioning the dark times of 1997...but that is neither here nor there.
post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Apple's news release uses the adjective "sad" to announce Mr. York's death. Although no doubt Apple's fellow directors, executives and many others in the organization are saddened by Mr. York's passing, in following accepted journalistic standards for news writing, one would would not characterize Apple the company as being sad. People have feelings; companies don't. Corporations may be persons in the legal sense, but they are not alive and don't have emotions. (Wait just a few years, all you AI seekers. R. Daneel Olivaw may be knocking at your door. It may be a lot sooner than CE 5020.)

That being said, from this one human, sincere condolences to Mr. York's family, friends and associates.

What was the point of this lucid diatribe? Apple *is* a group of people.. so of course the group can be sad. Don't over think it bub.
post #36 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

May he rest in peace. My thoughts go out to his family.

ditto

R I P
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #37 of 38
Apple just put a tribute on their front page.
post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Apple just put a tribute on their front page.

That's a pretty classy tribute -- and, obviously, Mr. York was a true class-act, the kind of go-getter businessman who was interested in far more than just making money or a name for himself. In whatever role he seemed to take, he wanted to make things work well, and he demonstrated an amazing knack for guiding seemingly-hopeless cases back from the brink. Not too often can one honestly admire an executive, but he was clearly one of the exceptions! He has my thanks and admiration.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple director Jerome York passes away