or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple preps 27-inch LED Cinema Display, dodeca-core Mac Pro

Apple preps 27-inch LED Cinema Display, dodeca-core Mac Pro

post #1 of 115
Apple is putting the finishing touches on a pair of new products targeted at its professional customers, namely a larger version of its LED Cinema Display and a major update to its Mac Pro workstations, AppleInsider has been told.

Targeted for release by June is the Cupertino-based company's second LED-backlit Cinema Display, measuring 27-inch diagonal and largely resembling a slightly magnified version of its existing 24-inch model (review), which was introduced to much fanfare back in October of 2008.

Two people familiar with the upcoming display say its been lingering in Apple's labs for quite sometime, where it's frequently referenced by the unique identifier/codename "K59." The Mac maker is believed to have been waiting patiently for the cost of the larger LCD panels, which sport a resolution of 2560 by 1440 pixels, to shed some of their premium before introducing the model to market.

Thanks to the success of its 27-inch iMacs, which sport similar components, Apple's now believed to be in a position to market the display more affordably. The company also recently put behind it problems with the same size panels that slowed the momentum of its larger iMac offerings for several months following their October 2009 introduction.

Meanwhile, Apple is also wrapping up development of its brawniest update to the Mac Pro ever, also slated to arrive by June, despite external reports that inaccurately pegged its release to show up as early as January or as recently as this week.

While details are scarce, people familiar with the matter were stern in stating that Mac maker's plans call for a dodeca-core model, sporting a pair of Intel's latest Westmere-based hexacore chips for a total of 12 cores.

Mockup of Apple's existing 24-inch LED display next to its upcoming 27-inch model.

Though AppleInsider is still awaiting confirmation, it's suggested that Apple will likely stick to its existing Xeon strategy, employing a pair of pricey Xeon 5600 Series "Gulftown" chips into a wallet-crunching dodeca-core Mac Pro, while offering a single processor model with 6 cores at prices similar to today's $2,500 quad-core model.

The 5600 series will be available within the next 45 days in 2.66, 2.8, 2.93, and 3.33GHz configurations, ranging in price from $996 to $1663 in lots of 1000. These new 32 nanometer chips have 12MB of L3 cache, and 6 cores with 12 threads for each CPU. Apple typically bundles the most affordable of these pricey multi-core chips into its standard dual-processor model, offering the higher frequency chips as build-to-order options.

Still, there have been persistent rumors (1, 2, 3) that Apple would abandon its Xeon strategy and adopt two of Intel's $999 3.33GHz Core i7-980X Extreme Edition uniprocessor chips for a 12-core Mac Pro. However, Intel clearly lists this chip as uniprocessor model, meaning the Mac maker would need to adopt a dual motherboard strategy to make that happen.

Outside of potential for cost cutting, the benefits of such a strategy aren't particularly apparent given the low volumes Apple sees in regards to Mac Pro sales.

What else is in Apple's pipeline

Apple's iPhone 4.0 software to deliver multitasking support

Apple prepping first Macs with HDMI - sources

Apple plans dual graphics enhancements on future MacBook Pros

Apple to target iPad at business users with added features - sources
post #2 of 115
That's nice. So how about those MBPs? \
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #3 of 115
Would be totally cool if it was housed in a dodecahedron shaped case.
post #4 of 115
Any word on any changes to the Mac Pro case design?
post #5 of 115
Apple is buying AMD, and next Mac Pro will sport at least two Opteron 6000 (Magny- Cours) for a total of 24 cores...
New XServers must show a 48 cores version...
People from PA Semi must integrate really nice...
And CrossFire+ OpenCL will be overkill...
post #6 of 115
Quote:
Apple's iPhone 4.0 software to deliver multitasking support

Apple prepping first Macs with HDMI - sources

There all you naysayers - it's coming and more. Finally we be able to connect a blu-ray to the Mac and the Mac to a HDTV.
And true mutiltasking not just ipod music playing in the background as only people on this site think is real multitasking.
post #7 of 115
I hope in these updates! And in a new Mac Pro's case.............. 

Giovanni B. Saccone
Creativity is just connecting things (Steve Jobs)
> > > My wEb SiTe < < <

Giovanni B. Saccone
Creativity is just connecting things (Steve Jobs)
> > > My wEb SiTe < < <

post #8 of 115
Will the 27" display's case be a wonderful shade of yellow? You know, to fit with the screen.
post #9 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePotato View Post

I don't think so.

The design has been very successful for Apple. They just update the interior hardware. It's not a very commercial product, not like an iMac or iPhone where people would buy a new one every two years or so. Mac Pro stays at schools, large companies, firms and homes of many creative professionals.

Plus, it still fits very well with every Apple Product.
Apple had me at scrolling
Apple had me at scrolling
post #10 of 115
I'm really interested in the 27" monitor price. With the cheapest 27" iMac rolling in at $1699, they're going to obviously have to have a decent gap from just a monitor. The problem is, the 24" is currently $899... so what can they realistically price the 27" at, assuming they don't drop the price of the 24". $1199? So basically they're saying the rest of the iMac is only worth $500? Will be very interesting...
post #11 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

And true mutiltasking not just ipod music playing in the background as only people on this site think is real multitasking.

Okay, using your phone while surfing the internet. That enough multi-tasking for you?

P.S. Probably not for you, because you never seem to be satisfied tho.
post #12 of 115
no Mac Pro's in April? Wonder if Intel withheld the CPU's from Apple to make sure there were no more early launches. HP is shipping their new Xeon 5600 based servers March 29th
post #13 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by gariba View Post

Apple is buying AMD, and next Mac Pro will sport at least two Opteron 6000 (Magny- Cours) for a total of 24 cores...
New XServers must show a 48 cores version...
People from PA Semi must integrate really nice...
And CrossFire+ OpenCL will be overkill...

What are you smoking?
post #14 of 115
I just bought two 24" displays a couple months ago because I gave up on Apple releasing a larger display. Just... damn.
post #15 of 115
Bit of a shame that they're going with the 16:9 format on their top end display models. I think we can all agree that 16:10 is more useful for anything but movies and games.
post #16 of 115
...when people familiar with matters are "stern". I don't mind it so much when they're firm.

As for using the term "dodeca-core" in an article, I gotta say that's bad journalism.
I got nothin'.
I got nothin'.
post #17 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Okay, using your phone while surfing the internet. That enough multi-tasking for you?

P.S. Probably not for you, because you never seem to be satisfied tho.

I have yet to use that feature ever and really don't see a reason for me needing it. Most people I speak to don't need me to do their research for them while I'm talking to them and I usually know what I'm talking about before I speak. On the other hand when either writing an email or text I can't presently multitask to the internet which is when I really need THAT feature.
To those that use it when speaking on the phone- good for you. That's more an AT&T feature anyway not Apple's.
post #18 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasakka View Post

Bit of a shame that they're going with the 16:9 format on their top end display models. I think we can all agree that 16:10 is more useful for anything but movies and games.

Yeah, Apple held out at 16:10 for so long too.

I was really disappointed to see them turn away from the IMO more natural 16:10 towards 16:9 just because of sales or industry pressure or whatever.
post #19 of 115
by *June* ? That would be a little late, wouldn't it? Oh well, not that I really care. I'm perfectly happy with my Nehalem Mac Pro that I bought last year, so it's not like I'd be upgrading. But still... seems like a really long time to go without a major revision to the Mac Pro.

I definitely like the idea of the 27" Cinema Display, although I hope this one will support DVI in addition to mini display port.
post #20 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by godrifle View Post

...when people familiar with matters are "stern". I don't mind it so much when they're firm.

As for using the term "dodeca-core" in an article, I gotta say that's bad journalism.

What's wrong with dodeca-core? You prefer duodec-core? I suppose that would be more natural, seeing as one usually uses the latin prefixes, eg. dual core and quad core (which should really be quadri core, but I guess quad is just easier). So yes, unless you're consistently using di-core and tetra-core too, then dodeca-core is a little odd. It's still a valid term though...

---

Regarding the new Mac Pro's. I'd *really* love it if the other part of the old rumour from this fall is true too, namely that it will support up to 128GB RAM. If so, I'll buy one as soon as possible, 'cause then I'll be all set for the next 8-10 years or so.
post #21 of 115
Hopefully there's also a 21.5" model in the pipeline as a Macbook companion.
post #22 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by gFiz View Post

I'm really interested in the 27" monitor price.

I am too. Eizo doesn't have a 27" model, but their 30" 2.5K monitor retails for (cough) $4,300. Even their lower-end Flexscan comes in at over $2,500. Believe it or not, the 30" Apple display is among the least expensive — not the very least, but among the least — 2.5K monitors available. It's really hard to see just where a 27" 2.5K monitor could fit in the product line.

Personally, I'd rather Apple get out of the monitor business entirely …*except I really love their industrial design. I'm torn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I was really disappointed to see them turn away from the IMO more natural 16:10 towards 16:9 just because of sales or industry pressure or whatever.

I don't know about "more natural," but the advantage of 16:10 at HD resolution is that you can see an entire HD frame at 1:1 with just enough room left over for on-screen controls. That's less of a factor at 2.5K resolution. If you're working in HD resolution, you've got tons of space left over on a 16:9 2.5K screen. Even if you're working in 2K resolution at 1.85:1 (which is 2048x1107), you've still got plenty of room for on-screen UI.

It's worth remembering, though, that Apple doesn't manufacture LCD panels. They just buy the parts. If 16:9 panels are available, Apple can choose to use them instead of 16:10 panels.
post #23 of 115
No word on LightPeak? Too bad.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #24 of 115
Quote:

I'm really interested in the 27" monitor price. With the cheapest 27" iMac rolling in at $1699, they're going to obviously have to have a decent gap from just a monitor. The problem is, the 24" is currently $899... so what can they realistically price the 27" at, assuming they don't drop the price of the 24". $1199? So basically they're saying the rest of the iMac is only worth $500? Will be very interesting...

Great point. What they price it at will be key. I was thinking of getting the 24, but now I will hold off for either a price drop and to see what the new 27" have to offer.
It could be a choice of dual 24s or one 27.
I still think 899 for that monitor is a high price PLUS I would have to buy a new video card with mini DisplayPort.
post #25 of 115
my guess:
27" / $999 USD
24" / $799 USD

it's nice to hear about apple [formerly apple computer] updating their computers.
i like phones and pads and pods, but i can't do my day-to-day graphic design work on my iphone.
post #26 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomfoolery View Post

I am too. Eizo doesn't have a 27" model, but their 30" 2.5K monitor retails for (cough) $4,300. Even their lower-end Flexscan comes in at over $2,500. Believe it or not, the 30" Apple display is among the least expensive not the very least, but among the least 2.5K monitors available. It's really hard to see just where a 27" 2.5K monitor could fit in the product line.

Personally, I'd rather Apple get out of the monitor business entirely *except I really love their industrial design. I'm torn.

forgive me, not very knowledgeable on the nitty-gritty..."2.5K" monitor? What's that? My expectation is it's going to be the same screen from the 27"imac. If that's the case, Dell sells it already for $1099 (albeit in a matte version). Now we all know there's no way apple is going to be the same or less than something Dell sells, so we're talking >$1099. But it can't be too much more...or people would just buy the 27" iMac as a monitor solution.
post #27 of 115
Quote:

forgive me, not very knowledgeable on the nitty-gritty..."2.5K" monitor? What's that?

Sorry, that's industry jargon. When folks in film and television post say "2.5K," they're referring to a raster that's 2,560 pixels across. See, 2K is 2,048 pixels, so 2.5K means 2,048+512, or 2,560. The 30" displays from companies like Apple and Eizo and Lacie and whomever are all 2.5K 16:10 displays: 2,560x1,600. A 2.5K 16:9 display would be 2,560x1,440, which is what's being talked about here.

There's a serious demand in the market right now for 10-bit displays, but as far as I know only HP makes one, and it's 16:10 HD. It'd be really cool if Apple leapfrogged the industry and shipped a line of 10-bit professional displays. Right now, the only competitive advantage Apple has for its displays is industrial design. And while that's really great, it's not enough.

Trouble is, I'm not sure Apple could ship a 10-bit display, even if the parts to build one were readily available, without extensive involvement from the graphics board people. It's all very complicated, now that the systems, the OS, the graphics boards and the actual displays themselves are all made by different people.
post #28 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomfoolery View Post

Sorry, that's industry jargon. When folks in film and television post say "2.5K," they're referring to a raster that's 2,560 pixels across. See, 2K is 2,048 pixels, so 2.5K means 2,048+512, or 2,560. The 30" displays from companies like Apple and Eizo and Lacie and whomever are all 2.5K 16:10 displays: 2,560x1,600. A 2.5K 16:9 display would be 2,560x1440, which is what's being talked about here.

There's a serious demand in the market right now for 10-bit displays, but as far as I know only HP makes one, and it's 16:10 HD. It'd be really cool if Apple leapfrogged the industry and shipped a line of 10-bit professional displays. Right now, the only competitive advantage Apple has for its displays is industrial design. And while that's really great, it's not enough.

Trouble is, I'm not sure Apple could ship a 10-bit display, even if the parts to build one were readily available, without extensive involvement from the graphics board people. It's all very complicated, now that the systems, the OS, the graphics boards and the actual displays themselves are all made by different people.

ah gotcha, learned something new today Thanks for the explanation.
post #29 of 115
That's all fine, but where's the 30' LED model? I've been waiting for years for this one.
post #30 of 115
27'' is the new 30'' going for 16:9 instead of 16:10. 30'' cinema display is 2560x1600, the 27'' iMac is 2560x1440
post #31 of 115
The only thing that made me go 'hmm' was the June release date.

Here is the Apple release calendar as far as I can see:

March--almost over
April--iPad. I doubt we'll see any other releases stomping on the iPad story/bandwagon.
May--??
June--iPhone v. 4???

So I wonder if Apple PR will have a major refresh of the MBP and MP that will stomp on either the iPhone story or the iPad story? It would seem they would want the introduction of a major new product to have it's own story cycle instead of taking away column inches from some other Mac press release in the tech and trade media.

July is a bit far off. The pro users are already getting a little uppity. March seemed to make sense, but as every Tuesday has come and gone (usually the release date for Apple products) I've started to wonder more and more.
post #32 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Yeah, Apple held out at 16:10 for so long too.

I heard somewhere that 16x9 was becoming more common than 16x10 because more 16x9 panels can be cut from one sheet with less waste and more cost savings than 16x10 or something like that. Anyone know anything about that?
post #33 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraithofwonder View Post

Will the 27" display's case be a wonderful shade of yellow? You know, to fit with the screen.

Yep, the "yellow tinge'ers" over at Apple discussions are a quite an obsessive/compulsive lot. Oh, and they're nutty crazy too. I've never seen such a bunch of wankers.
post #34 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinsix View Post

The only thing that made me go 'hmm' was the June release date.

Here is the Apple release calendar as far as I can see:

March--almost over
April--iPad. I doubt we'll see any other releases stomping on the iPad story/bandwagon.
May--??
June--iPhone v. 4???

So I wonder if Apple PR will have a major refresh of the MBP and MP that will stomp on either the iPhone story or the iPad story? It would seem they would want the introduction of a major new product to have it's own story cycle instead of taking away column inches from some other Mac press release in the tech and trade media.

July is a bit far off. The pro users are already getting a little uppity. March seemed to make sense, but as every Tuesday has come and gone (usually the release date for Apple products) I've started to wonder more and more.

Welcome to the forum.

With this longer than average time it makes me think there are major changes coming that warrant a special event for the next Macs. Hopefully that is the case.

The longer time between the iPhone v4.0 special event the longer it will be before the next iPhone is released, unless Apple plans to just offer it up with v3.x with v4.0 coming later. That is possible. I think we need at least 2 months of the v4.0 SDK and iPhone OS for 3rd-party apps changes and overall bug fixing of the OS.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #35 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePotato View Post

I doubt it.

Its a great case design. Its been tweaked a bit since I had my original dual G5.

And Apple just does not sell a ton of these things anyways.
post #36 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie49 View Post

That's all fine, but where's the 30' LED model? I've been waiting for years for this one.

30'? wow. that's a big-ass monitor. i want one.
post #37 of 115
A 27" iMac driving two other 27" displays? Yum!
post #38 of 115
Well if they have fixed the issue with the yellow tinge on 27" displays can someone explain why my 3rd 27" iMac replacement that was delivered yesterday straight from the Shanghai factory still has the problem.
post #39 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm7Cadd9 View Post

27'' is the new 30'' going for 16:9 instead of 16:10. 30'' cinema display is 2560x1600, the 27'' iMac is 2560x1440

30" = overkill. Who's gonna buy those?

30" ACD. That's quite a pricetag.

Walk into any Best Buy. You're lucky if you see 27-inch displays. 9 times out of 10 the largest you'll see is 24-inches.
post #40 of 115
I hope a matte version of the new display will be available. Glossy isn't an option for me...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple preps 27-inch LED Cinema Display, dodeca-core Mac Pro