or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple has pre-sold "hundreds of thousands" of iPads
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple has pre-sold "hundreds of thousands" of iPads - Page 2

post #41 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

We sure are.

- Thankful for disposable income

I think a desktop OS designed around 13"+ displays with keyboards and mice/trackpads running on a 10" tablet with fingers for input is a prime example of "a fool and his money are soon parted adage"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Yet HP can only dream of selling 100,000 within two hours, or two years for that matter.

I wonder how many tablets have been sold since tablets were first introduced. It seems like Apple will outsell all tablet sales with it's iPad in a very, very short timeframe. I think we'll see Android-based tablets as the most profitable competitors to the iPad, with MS making a tablet version of their Windows Phone 7 Series OS which HP will surely jump on. A desktop OS is just foolish for that device type and size [and use].
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #42 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

would have to be more powerful..its running windows 7....hell it probably needs an 8 core processor just to do mundane tasks.

shows you how efficiently apple can write software. The idea is to make them portable with 10 hours of usage. Lets see the HP slate even try to come close to that. especially with windows 7..and wasnt the slate supposed to be already released? or did that get delayed? where are the places you can pre-order one?

Indeed.

Software designed for the device, not the other way around.

Just look at iWork.

Some people just won't get it. But they will in time. This is the future of computing.
post #43 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think a desktop OS designed around 13" displays with keyboards and mice/trackpads running on a 10" tablet with fingers for input is a prime example of "a fool and his money are soon parted adage"



I wonder how many tablets have been sold since tablets were first introduced. It seems like Apple will outsell all tablet sells with it's iPad in a very, very short timeframe. I think we'll see Android-based tablets as the most profitable competitors to the iPad, with MS making a tablet version of their Windows Phone 7 Series OS which HP will surely jump on. A desktop OS is just foolish for that device type and size.

People seem angry by Apple's success. If I went out and purchased a Droid or a Slate without testing either, they would be perfectly happy. But somehow I'm a complete fool for buying an iPad.
post #44 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by masternav View Post

OK - let's get this out of the way:

The online investor guys are making up the numbers, their methodology is flawed, they are fan boys trying to drive the release of the iPad to success - because we all know the device is an abject failure.

The iPad suxxors majorly, it doesn't have:
42 UBS ports
a Blu-ray drive
removeable battery
a front-facing camera
a rear facing camera
a cell chip to make phone calls
GPS
support for 1080p
a real keyboard
a real processor
a real OS (just that stoopid pathetic mobile version of OSX)
enough memory
enough storage space
free unlimited 3G
release with Verizon, TMobile, Sprint, Alltel, Cellular One, Blue Wireless, Bluegrass Cellular, ad nauseam...

AND

there have been scads of tablet before the iPad

AND

all these early adopters are fanbois who spend too much money for glitzy tech that is just a toy, nobody besides them or the great unwashed masses of clueless consumers who don't worship at the altar of featuredom will buy this.


Yet another troll. Is your name Bill by any chance? The things you are saying about the almighty iPad (which by the way) is far ahead of its time! Also the same things that many people said about the iPhone's perceived short comings. And look at the millions of those that still sell every month! Go back and to your Windows fanboy forum, this is for the much more advanced computer user.
post #45 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

People seem angry by Apple's success. If I went out and purchased a Droid or a Slate without testing either, they would be perfectly happy. But somehow I'm a complete fool for buying an iPad.

Don't worry "we" are the trail blazers. The people who understand why this product (iPad) is extremely timely and has already shown HUGE pre-orders to prove it.
post #46 of 209
When it was first released, I struggled to figure out why I should buy it.

In the intervening months, there have been many occasions when I have gone "an iPad right now would have been awesome!".

1) Surfing the net while watching TV (posting on sports forums while watching games, looking up channels, actor info, etc.)
2) Bedtime news reading. I love going through my rss feeds before sleeping, and doing it while laying on the bed would be awesome.
3) Reading ebooks.
4) Digital Photo Album
5) Recipe Display while cooking

I am still not sure if I can justify spending $500 for the above (all of which I can already achieve with my macbook/iphone, but not half as conveniently), but if the money was not an issue, it would be a no-brainer.
post #47 of 209
1.1 hundreds of thousands devices, yes?
post #48 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean812 View Post

Yet another troll. Is your name Bill by any chance? The things you are saying about the almighty iPad (which by the way) is far ahead of its time! Also the same things that many people said about the iPhone's perceived short comings. And look at the millions of those that still sell every month! Go back and to your Windows fanboy forum, this is for the much more advanced computer user.

Somebody COMPLETELY missed the sarcasm, I think.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
post #49 of 209
Quote:
The report appears to support an independent analysis by an Apple investor community, which estimated that 120,000 iPads were sold on the first day alone, with orders then settling at a pace of roughly 30,000 per day.

Correction: deagol has updated his estimate to 10,000 per day. Still pretty good for something almost no one has touched yet.
post #50 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Of course, they've tested it. Remember, you said it was nothing but a large iPod Touch. And how many Touches has Apple sold?


Don't you love it how they bash the iPad because it is "overpriced large iPod Touch" and then they come around and say "only fools will buy something they never tried"?
post #51 of 209
Hundreds of thousands is still just a rounding error.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
post #52 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

People seem angry by Apple's success. If I went out and purchased a Droid or a Slate without testing either, they would be perfectly happy. But somehow I'm a complete fool for buying an iPad.

It's really odd posturing. Apple has a long history of building CE that people like with great customer service and a track record of well liked gadgets. They've also shown the HW, demoed the OS and 1st- and 3rd-party apps, while also releasing an SDK which has a simulator, and announced their partners for services like the iBookstore.

Yet that is a major risk to some here, yet they'll say that the still in development HP Slate or, worse, vapourware concepts like MS Courier are better choices. I honestly don't get it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean812 View Post

Yet another troll. Is your name Bill by any chance? The things you are saying about the almighty iPad (which by the way) is far ahead of its time! Also the same things that many people said about the iPhone's perceived short comings. And look at the millions of those that still sell every month! Go back and to your Windows fanboy forum, this is for the much more advanced computer user.

He is using satire to state all the Anti-Apple talking points before others can state them as a method of diffusing the haters.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #53 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

wasnt the slate supposed to be already released? or did that get delayed? where are the places you can pre-order one?

HP Slate is being launched later this year but on schedule:

http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/33309...ting-with-iPad

One thing that Apple does right regardless of how they make the devices is make sure that content providers are pulled in. They aren't always totally successful but they seem to get stronger at it all the time and it benefits everyone in the industry.

The HP Slate will benefit from the iPad introduction and it would be wise of them to introduce the product after it to see how they tackle content distribution and try to offer the same experience but more value.

[quote=Postulant]Yet HP can only dream of selling 100,000 within two hours, or two years for that matter{/quote]

The top netbook manufacturers are shipping around 2 million units per quarter and the price is around $299. If the HP Slate spec is good, it will stand out well against other netbooks.
post #54 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean812 View Post

. The people who understand why this product (iPad) is extremely timely and has already shown HUGE pre-orders to prove it.

No no no... Haven't you heard? When Apple has HUGE pre-orders, it's only because of fanboys, the Apple faithful, or (insert comment about early adopters). When, for example, the Droid has the same success, it's because of superior product development and because Apple is falling behind the competition.
post #55 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

HP introduced their Slate before Apple. Which is far more powerful then the iPad.

When is the magical Slate coming out.

The geeks just don't get it.

People don't want a full blown OS on a device like this.

The geeks like the holy crap idea of running an OS that was clearly not designed to run on a product like this.

Geek lust over reality I am afraid.

Go play with your netbook.
post #56 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


No one at this point has a clue what these confirmation numbers mean or how they are generated. Until Apple releases numbers this is isn't news at all.

You're the one without a clue. Probably because all you know about 'news' is from internet-type sources.

Outlets such as the WSJ or the NYT will not report stuff like this without major-league verification. Period. The editors will simply tell the reporters to go back and redo the story, or to trash it, if they can't meet certain sourcing standards.
post #57 of 209
People keep saying that this device hasn't been tested...but it has. For all intents and purposes, it IS just an oversized iPhone/Touch. I've been using my iPhone for quite some time now, and I think that I know what to expect from the iPad.

A Bigger Screen.

That's all I want. A bigger screen. Rumor has it that it's more "zippy" than the iPhone, but that's just bonus points really.

I want to be able to hold it in my hand and remote access my movie collection on my desktop. I can already do this from my iPhone, so it shouldn't be much of a problem for the iPad.

I want to be able to read books on it. Yay.

I want to be able to surf the net, check email, and maybe type a short document.

I don't need to "test" the thing, and neither does anyone else. We all know how the stupid thing works by now. If you don't, use an iPhone, then imagine it with a bigger screen. Some people may think it's silly to pay money for a bigger screen, but we do it all the time for TV's and monitors.

To me, having the capabilities of an iPhone, with a larger screen, and a more comfortable form factor than my laptop for casual use makes this well worth the price.
post #58 of 209
Steve Ballmer said so. You can go to the bank on that one.
post #59 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by benny-boy View Post

iTunes Remote? If they really do it well? Kick back on the couch, surf, email, and your whole library from your mac is at your fingertips? (to say nothing of the potential of it as a remote for an apple TV!)

This is what I'm waiting for proof of. C'mon steve.

There are apps that almost do that today and more. I control all my AV equipment, see my security cameras, turn on lights, access media libraries all through my iPhone.

The iPhone apps will also work with the iPad and many of the software vendors plan to have direct iPad support for higher resolutions. Check out J9Automation, Creston, Homeseer, etc. Though, not many of those systems work with the Apple TV due to its lack of a dvd/blu ray player.
post #60 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by masternav View Post

OK - let's get this out of the way:

The online investor guys are making up the numbers, their methodology is flawed, they are fan boys trying to drive the release of the iPad to success - because we all know the device is an abject failure.

The iPad suxxors majorly, it doesn't have:
42 UBS ports
a Blu-ray drive
removeable battery
a front-facing camera
a rear facing camera
a cell chip to make phone calls
GPS
support for 1080p
a real keyboard
a real processor
a real OS (just that stoopid pathetic mobile version of OSX)
enough memory
enough storage space
free unlimited 3G
release with Verizon, TMobile, Sprint, Alltel, Cellular One, Blue Wireless, Bluegrass Cellular, ad nauseam...

AND

there have been scads of tablet before the iPad

AND

all these early adopters are fanbois who spend too much money for glitzy tech that is just a toy, nobody besides them or the great unwashed masses of clueless consumers who don't worship at the altar of featuredom will buy this.


The two highlighted features are the only ones that should have been included.
post #61 of 209
I read somewhere that a lot of those companies making tablets decided to go back to the drawing board because they couldn't beat the price apple put on the iPad. I can't remember where I read that. I wish I could provide a link. I think it was Ars though.
post #62 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb85 View Post

I read somewhere that a lot of those companies making tablets decided to go back to the drawing board because they couldn't beat the price apple put on the iPad. I can't remember where I read that. I wish I could provide a link. I think it was Ars though.

I would be surprised if that were the case. There are a couple of sub 500 tablets out and there is one a lot of people are watching that is supposed to come in sub-300. We watch in the home automation sphere because we are always looking for good touch screens to embed in a wall, kitchen, etc on the cheap...
post #63 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitlnoize View Post

People keep saying that this device hasn't been tested...but it has. For all intents and purposes, it IS just an oversized iPhone/Touch. I've been using my iPhone for quite some time now, and I think that I know what to expect from the iPad.

A Bigger Screen.

That's all I want. A bigger screen. Rumor has it that it's more "zippy" than the iPhone, but that's just bonus points really.

I want to be able to hold it in my hand and remote access my movie collection on my desktop. I can already do this from my iPhone, so it shouldn't be much of a problem for the iPad.

I want to be able to read books on it. Yay.

I want to be able to surf the net, check email, and maybe type a short document.

I don't need to "test" the thing, and neither does anyone else. We all know how the stupid thing works by now. If you don't, use an iPhone, then imagine it with a bigger screen. Some people may think it's silly to pay money for a bigger screen, but we do it all the time for TV's and monitors.

To me, having the capabilities of an iPhone, with a larger screen, and a more comfortable form factor than my laptop for casual use makes this well worth the price.

What app do you use to remote view your movies on your desktop? Im curious I would like to check that out.
post #64 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymantle View Post

Steve Ballmer said so. You can go to the bank on that one.

Good. That can only mean it'll be a runaway success!
post #65 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

People seem angry by Apple's success.

Those people are just bitter that they didn't buy AAPL below $50/share five years ago.

It closed above $224 today.
post #66 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Those people are just bitter that they didn't buy AAPL below $50/share five years ago.

It closed above $224 today.

Imagine the fury when it'll hit $300. I'm totally seeing mass rioting and destruction of property.
post #67 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Does everyone know fully what they're even buying?

Yeah, they know what they're buying. Some people like a little adventure in their lives.

Daniel Swanson

Reply

Daniel Swanson

Reply
post #68 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCO3 View Post

And yet another useless Apple-bashing troll hits the ignore list. Good job, you're VERY effective.

Yep, that ignore list is fantastic. What surprises me is how utterly useless the comments are of some trolls. It isn't like there are not critical observations that many could find helpful. We just need a better class of critics.
post #69 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I'm totally seeing mass rioting and destruction of property.

I think you're talking about when those iPads are purchased and half the websites don't load up.
post #70 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by masternav View Post

OK - let's get this out of the way:

The online investor guys are making up the numbers, their methodology is flawed, they are fan boys trying to drive the release of the iPad to success - because we all know the device is an abject failure.

The iPad suxxors majorly, it doesn't have:
42 UBS ports
a Blu-ray drive
removeable battery
a front-facing camera
a rear facing camera
a cell chip to make phone calls
GPS
support for 1080p
a real keyboard
a real processor
a real OS (just that stoopid pathetic mobile version of OSX)
enough memory
enough storage space
free unlimited 3G
release with Verizon, TMobile, Sprint, Alltel, Cellular One, Blue Wireless, Bluegrass Cellular, ad nauseam...

AND

there have been scads of tablet before the iPad

AND

all these early adopters are fanbois who spend too much money for glitzy tech that is just a toy, nobody besides them or the great unwashed masses of clueless consumers who don't worship at the altar of featuredom will buy this.



You forgot:

-- punched card reader
-- 52" OLED display
-- 5-speed automatic transmission
-- life-size doll (sex of your choice)

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #71 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

The two highlighted features are the only ones that should have been included.

Camera would create adoption problems with business/schools/hospitals/etc, and isn't necessary really: you could just buy a camera add-on and plug it on the dock connector. GPS ****IS**** included in the 3G model

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply
post #72 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm buying a 16GB 3G iPad for Mother's Day but yet to find a reason to buy one for myself. Still waiting for that "killer app" to appear that makes me say "I've got to have an iPad."

I don't know who or when, but soon, someone is going to give away an iPad when you buy their content-- say a course in real estate, nursing, auto repair, woodworking, etc.

All it takes is one, then: shit, oh dear... Katie bar the door!

*
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #73 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

What's that old saying- "There's a sucker born every minute."
Steve Jobs is the PT Barnum of the 21st century.

iPad hasn't even been tested yet - what fools.


...didn't PT Barnum aslo deliver "The Greatest Show On Earth"?

*
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #74 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

A fool and his money are soon parted

A fool and their lame opinion are unfortunately mated for life - XTREME!!!!!
post #75 of 209
Quick question; how many fanboys are there?

At tens of thousands, the critics say it is just rabid fanboys. At hundreds of thousands, same thing. How many millions does it take before people admit that Apple products have general, mass appeal? Consider the success of the iMac, iPod, iPhone; there simply aren't enough fanboy nut jobs to account for it. The vast majority of Apple customers are Windows users. Isn't it about time to stop dismissing the overwhelming number of people interested in purchasing this product as fanboys?
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
post #76 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCO3 View Post

And yet another useless Apple-bashing troll hits the ignore list. Good job, you're VERY effective.

And yet another post announcing it. Why the need to inform everyone? It's just fodder for them.
post #77 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

...didn't PT Barnum aslo deliver "The Greatest Show On Earth"?

*

No - that would be Ringling Bros.
Besides- who want shows? Substance is always preferred.
post #78 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

HP introduced their Slate before Apple. Which is far more powerful then the iPad.

Your posts seem to veer wildly between mindless troll and considered thinker - this is clearly the former. Ballmer carried a barely functional slate at CES for a few seconds a couple of weeks before Steve demo'd the complete iPad. The Slate has no release date (only a release year) and all the comments of "it'll be good value at $1000" coming out before Jan 27th have withered in the face of iPad pricing... enjoy your Slate if it ever makes it out.
post #79 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Don't you love it how they bash the iPad because it is "overpriced large iPod Touch" and then they come around and say "only fools will buy something they never tried"?

iPod Touch cost $199 , iPad cost $499. You do the Math.
post #80 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post


Likely the "hundreds of thousands" is a world wide figure.

Nope not order-able world wide . Only in U.S.A.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple has pre-sold "hundreds of thousands" of iPads