or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple begins accepting iPad apps on the App Store

Apple begins accepting iPad apps on the App Store

post #1 of 77
Apple on Friday afternoon opened the floodgates for developers authoring software for its forthcoming iPad, allowing them to begin submitting the applications to its App Store for approval.

"iPad will begin shipping soon and your opportunity to be part of the grand opening of the iPad App Store starts today," the company wrote in an email to registered iPhone developers. "Submit your iPad app now for an initial review by the App Review Team and receive feedback on its readiness for the grand opening."

In order to assure that they are part of the grand opening, Apple requested that developers submit their applications by March 27 and assure that they've taken the following steps.
Build and test your iPad app using iPhone SDK 3.2 beta 5 available on the iPhone Dev Center. Only iPad apps built with iPhoneÂ*SDK 3.2Â*betaÂ*5 will be accepted for this initial review.
Upload your distribution signed app through iTunes Connect byÂ*Saturday,Â*MarchÂ*27,Â*5pmÂ*PDT.
The App Review Team will review your app on iPad and email you details about the readiness of your app.
You will also receive additional information about submitting your app for final review before iPad ships.
Only apps submitted for the initial review will be considered for the grand opening of the iPad App Store.
The iPad goes on sale April 3rd in the United States.

post #2 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Only apps submitted for the initial review will be considered for the grand opening of the iPad App Store.

Sounds like they want things to be just perfect for launch day, I can't wait.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
post #3 of 77
Good to hear, sounds like they're committed to approving hundreds of apps by April 3rd, given the timeline and promise of secondary feedback / final launch submissions.

May not have to run many of those iPhone apps afterall
post #4 of 77
What a news!!!!!

Giovanni B. Saccone
Creativity is just connecting things (Steve Jobs)
> > > My wEb SiTe < < <

Giovanni B. Saccone
Creativity is just connecting things (Steve Jobs)
> > > My wEb SiTe < < <

post #5 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Good to hear, sounds like they're committed to approving hundreds of apps by April 3rd, given the timeline and promise of secondary feedback / final launch submissions.

I suspect there will be quite a few pretty quickly - in fact I think you may notice a slowdown in the iPhone only app approval process. Universal apps will do OK but I suspect Apple will be concentrating on getting a variety of IPad apps up as quick as possible.
post #6 of 77
Nice to see the "handicapped" developers being given an opportunity to submit apps this early to prepare for launch day.
post #7 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I suspect there will be quite a few pretty quickly - in fact I think you may notice a slowdown in the iPhone only approval process. Universals will do OK but I suspect Apple will be concentrating on getting a variety of IPad apps up as quick as possible.

More than likely they have entirely new and trained team ready to begin tackling iPad apps right this moment. 19th through 27th they'll be reviewing new app submissions, and subsequently sending the dev feedback. Likely either a yes or no for launch day, and instructions for the final submission. From the 27th through the 3rd they'll be reviewing the final submissions from approved devs, and on the 3rd the store goes live with eveything finished at that point. From there forward, normal approval process will resume.
post #8 of 77
Flash developers need not apply.
post #9 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

Get over it!
post #10 of 77
Quote:

Why not? Are "Flash Developers" some kind of single skilled reject with no knowlege of basic object oriented programming?

I doubt that. If so, calling them developers is accurate. Not programmers however.
post #11 of 77
Flash developers will turn into HTML5 developers real quick. It's in their best interests.
post #12 of 77
Quote:

Flash designers need not apply.

fixed it for you
post #13 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

fixed it for you

and also
Quote:
Originally Posted by TECHSTUD
Flash dancers need not apply.
post #14 of 77
Quote:

Lets hope your right. I can't wait to see the catalog!

Quote:

Wait for Flash for CS5. Then you'll get your candy.

HP Omni 100-5100z, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; ASUS Transformer, 16GB, Android 4.0 ICS
Although I no longer own Apple products like I did before, I'll continue to post my opinions.

HP Omni 100-5100z, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; ASUS Transformer, 16GB, Android 4.0 ICS
Although I no longer own Apple products like I did before, I'll continue to post my opinions.

post #15 of 77
Techstud is a negative person.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #16 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

fixed it for you

You forgot to change his frown icon to a smile.
post #17 of 77
Quote:

Why not? Are "Flash Developers" some kind of single skilled reject with no knowlege of basic object oriented programming?

indeed. the correct statement should have been Flash Apps need not apply.

but keep in mind that there's the best Flash to iphone convertor, which would at least get someone started on an iphone/ipad app. if it works as promised.

and I wonder if perhaps this testing is also to pull together really awesome apps to go on the demo units in the stores. they have probably contacted the folks behind some of the current demos but might want to mix it up with some new stuff.
post #18 of 77
Can't wait for all the apps wit da neeked girls.
post #19 of 77
So, which is it? Apple is 'handicapping' developers or 'opening the floodgates' for developers?!
post #20 of 77
Flash Gordon need not apply.
post #21 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

And what are you then?
post #22 of 77
I'd actually prefer Apple delay iPad app approvals for a week or two post-launch. That would at least give developers a chance to test on real world hardware.

I expect the apps submitted by the select group of developers given iPads to be good but I don't know about the rest. It's exciting both for us users and developers nonetheless.
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
post #23 of 77
Quote:

Don't stop with Flash... lets be honest...

Ada, APL, Applescript, AsmL, Assembly, Basic, BETA, C, C#, C++, Caml, CAT, CFML, Clarion, Cobol, Cobra, CULE, Eiffel, Flash, Forth, Fortran, Haskell, Hypercard, Java, Lexico, LISP, LOGO, Lua, Mercury, Modrian, Modula-2, Nemerle, Oberon, Pan, Pascal, Perl, PHP, Prolog, Python, RPG, Ruby, Scala, Scheme, Smalltalk, SML, Spry, Synergy, Tcl/Tk...

Need I go on?
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #24 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

I'd actually prefer Apple delay iPad app approvals for a week or two post-launch. That would at least give developers a chance to test on real world hardware.

I expect the apps submitted by the select group of developers given iPads to be good but I don't know about the rest. It's exciting both for us users and developers nonetheless.

Tell you what. Sign up as a developer, download the SDK build, run and test your app in the devkit using the simulator. Then submit it to the store. No ipad required.
post #25 of 77
Quote:

Christ, are you still here?!?
post #26 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Tell you what. Sign up as a developer, download the SDK build, run and test your app in the devkit using the simulator. Then submit it to the store. No ipad required.

I'm not a developer nor do I plan to be.

Before the App Store opened, any developer could test their iPhone apps on an iPhone. Sure, it wasn't the iPhone 3G but it was hardware that gave them a good idea of how their app would feel.

Obviously Apple can't send every developer an iPad or even do one of those tours where they go around the country letting developers try out the iPad. Totally understandable.

An alternative would be to delay iPad app approvals a week or so. This would limit the selection of day one apps to those that ship on the iPad but it would also mean the apps releasedat least some of themwould be tested in more than just the simulator.

This likely won't be an issue a month after launch but in the first few weeks, it could taint users' opinions of iPad apps. Hopefully Apple's app reviewers will test these apps on the iPad.

Fortunately, third party apps aren't as important for the iPad as they are on the iPhone/iPod touch because many of the most popular iPhone apps are those that optimize web content for its small 3.5" screen. The iPad's much larger 9.7" screen means those apps aren't as necessary anymore because you can browse the Web without constant zooming in/panning/zooming out.

I predict the big system seller for the iPad will be its web browser. It was for me.
post #27 of 77
Quote:

And what are you then?

I can be negative like the next person, but I can also be positive, unlike is possible for you.
post #28 of 77
Will there be fart and flashlight apps available?
post #29 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Why?.
post #30 of 77
Quote:

At least he still has Dale Arden. Rrrrow.
post #31 of 77
Quote:

'Techstud' is an oxymoron
May the Blue Bird of Happiness leave a deposit with you and yours.
May the Blue Bird of Happiness leave a deposit with you and yours.
post #32 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Don't you mean Flesh Gorden?
post #33 of 77
Quote:

I guess Apple prefers to have as many apps as possible on launch day, even if some have 'minor issues'.
Devs can always sumbit updates/bug fixes after launch, and the revision process is quite faster for updates than for initial review (they just check you didn't covertly add any boobies )
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
post #34 of 77
Quote:

more like the mods/site admins are disssapointing...
post #35 of 77
Show me the list!

I finally got around to watching the iPad intro video. Apparently, the App Store will have a separate iPad App section.

I'm glad I made my iPad pre-order!
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
post #36 of 77
It will be a problem to release for a device without having the hardware. The simulator is not enough for a public release.
post #37 of 77
Quote:

Of that we can be sure.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #38 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Christ, are you still here?!?

Between tekstud blatantly flaunting his ban and marvin the moderator spreading FUD about the iPad (the iPad has mobile phone level hardware and therefore won't be useful for artists looking for serious sketching/designing/layout/painting here) I'm starting to wonder what is up with this forum and what the heck the real admins are thinking.
post #39 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

Sounds like they want things to be just perfect for launch day, I can't wait.

Or they just want the store stocked for launch day to encourage iPad sales.

Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised to see thousands of iPads-optimized apps by launch day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

but keep in mind that there's the best Flash to iphone convertor, which would at least get someone started on an iphone/ipad app. if it works as promised.

Absolutely!

Quote:

That wouldn't be good for business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

They already exist. Scaling a flashlight app for the iPhone/Touch should work the same and come in handy for some, though less often than the pocketable device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

It will be a problem to release for a device without having the hardware. The simulator is not enough for a public release.

Hopefully the reviewers are using iPads to test the apps.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #40 of 77
Quote:

And what are you then?

No, no, no. He is not negative! He is not even real. Imaginary he is. But I suspect he wants to masquerade as complex.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple begins accepting iPad apps on the App Store