or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Yes We MexiCan!

Yes We MexiCan!

post #1 of 77
Mexican's have had a special relationship with the US, so special many of them now call it "hogar" or "home". The only problem is that around 15,000,000 or so don't pay their fair share of taxes and they don't have the rights and protections under the law that their fellow countrymen have, meaning amongst many things, employers can pay them less than their native counterparts.

Obama wants to solve this problem, like Reagan did, by giving them a path to citizenship. That may prove politically damaging to Obama with many voters, but as with healthcare reform, Obama I think will follow his conscience and do what's right regardless of what may or may not happen at the polls.

Even though amnesty will improve the US economy and create lots of new jobs, Obama may include legislation incrementally in bills not specifically related to immigration reform to help smooth it's passage. Nonetheless there will still be a debate, so what's your take on what might or should happen?
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #2 of 77
I think we should have open borders and no welfare state.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #3 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Dream on about the welfare state. That isn't going to happen any time soon.
post #4 of 77
Quote:

And we'd end up spending more on security and detention that we would spend by giving every American free health care.
post #5 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

And we'd end up spending more on security and detention that we would spend by giving every American free health care.

Of course we would. Because you say so.

post #6 of 77
Wait Hands, did the talking points from Obama say to bring up amnesty the very next day?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #7 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Wait Hands, did the talking points from Obama say to bring up amnesty the very next day?

Zing!

No kidding. The script is getting played out as planned.

post #8 of 77
Quote:

Of course we would. Because you say so.

Well, it's either that, or Mad Max. You seem to prefer the latter.
post #9 of 77
Quote:

Well, it's either that, or Mad Max.

False dilemmas are wonderful!

Quote:

You seem to prefer the latter.

I do? Really?

So glad I have you to tell me what I think, believe and prefer. Makes life easier for both of us. For me because I don't have to actually think, believe and prefer things I can just submit to your delusions. And for you because, well you don't actually have to think about what I say and can quickly and easily dismiss me and what I say behind a facade of the caricature your created in your mind of me. So, that's cool.

post #10 of 77
Quote:

No, that was leaked a memo from the repubs to scare people. Go figure.
post #11 of 77
So you are saying you have a leaked memo from Republicans and it told you to bring up amnesty in a post here?

Strange days indeed.

post #12 of 77
A Mormon was a principal force in pushing Arizona's ugly anti Mexican laws, but another prominant Mormon with influence is challenging that hatred through his very own church- http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/20/bu...nted=1&_r=1&hp
post #13 of 77
I've got to ask...

Does the term "fellow countrymen" refer to AMERICAN CITIZENS? (who are NOT "fellow countrymen" of Mexicans) or does it refer to Mexicans? (In which case, they can get all those same "rights and protections" by going back to Mexico where their "fellow countrymen" are.)
If someone comes to this country ILLEGALLY. they are not entitled to any of the "rights and protections" afforded by our constitution. They are certainly entitled to basic human rights, but not to taxpayer provided welfare and healthcare!!! They CERTAINLY don't deserve citizenship just for being here.
It's really not that difficult to get here LEGALY!!!
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #14 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

I've got to ask...

Does the term "fellow countrymen" refer to AMERICAN CITIZENS? (who are NOT "fellow countrymen" of Mexicans) or does it refer to Mexicans? (In which case, they can get all those same "rights and protections" by going back to Mexico where their "fellow countrymen" are.)
If someone comes to this country ILLEGALLY. they are not entitled to any of the "rights and protections" afforded by our constitution. They are certainly entitled to basic human rights, but not to taxpayer provided welfare and healthcare!!! They CERTAINLY don't deserve citizenship just for being here.
It's really not that difficult to get here LEGALY!!!

They're your fellow countrymen in that they fight in the US military, live in the same neighbourhoods, send their children to the same schools as yours etc. Just because the US has not yet made enough room for them, yet, in the same way it accepted immigrants for centuries because the US government was inept at embracing them and maintaining equal rights for all, doesn't mean you have to reject them as your fellow countrymen. Once the US political process catches up these new immigrants won't be exploited and their contributions in taxes will rise even further too. American's of a particular bent need to wake up and be American's again, not, metaphorically speaking, pen pushers for recent failed government immigration policies.
post #15 of 77
I think we should have a seasonal guest worker program. Employers can pay a special seasonal worker wage and reduced liability for benefits. If a worker works here legally under this program for five seasons, and they leave the country when the season is over, they qualify for a green card. Give them a path for citizenship, but do so in a way that does not excuse any breach of immigration laws.
post #16 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

They're your fellow countrymen in that they fight in the US military, live in the same neighbourhoods, send their children to the same schools as yours etc. Just because the US has not yet made enough room for them, yet, in the same way it accepted immigrants for centuries because the US government was inept at embracing them and maintaining equal rights for all, doesn't mean you have to reject them as your fellow countrymen. Once the US political process catches up these new immigrants won't be exploited and their contributions in taxes will rise even further too. American's of a particular bent need to wake up and be American's again, not, metaphorically speaking, pen pushers for recent failed government immigration policies.

There are legal immigrants (fellow countrymen)... And there are ILLEGAL immigrants (criminals).
Differentiate between the two and we can have a discussion.
post #17 of 77
tonton, would it be okay for me to sneak into Hong Kong with no passport, no immigration papers and just live there permanently?

Why or why not?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #18 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

tonton, would it be okay for me to sneak into Hong Kong with no passport, no immigration papers and just live there permanently?

Why or why not?

Nope. And if you look at my comments you'll see that I don't support illegal immigration as a pathway toward legal status. Amnesty can solve lots of problems, but it also perpetuates many. Hence my "work responsibly toward residency" idea. Give them an attainable way to come legally (and the lottery is *not* such a way) and illegal immigration will become less attractive.
post #19 of 77
Quote:

Nope. And if you look at my comments you'll see that I don't support illegal immigration as a pathway toward legal status. Amnesty can solve lots of problems, but it also perpetuates many. Hence my "work responsibly toward residency" idea. Give them an attainable way to come legally (and the lottery is *not* such a way) and illegal immigration will become less attractive.

I think that only addresses part of the problem, though. Many legal immigrants have been able to come to the United States and "work responsibly toward residency" under existing law, eventually becoming citizens.

We need to aggressively prosecute and punish employers of illegal aliens. I'm talking prison time. The prospect of finding a job and making more money is still the primary draw for illegal aliens.

post #20 of 77
Quote:

I think that only addresses part of the problem, though. Many legal immigrants have been able to come to the United States and "work responsibly toward residency" under existing law, eventually becoming citizens.

Yes... rich ones, mostly. Or through marriage. But not average workers.
Quote:
We need to aggressively prosecute and punish employers of illegal aliens.

Yes, and meanwhile give them an attractive enough alternative.
Quote:
I'm talking prison time. The prospect of finding a job and making more money is still the primary draw for illegal aliens.

Yep. And a seasonal worker program would give them such an opportunity.
post #21 of 77
Quote:

We already do this. It's called a green card and it has plenty of non-lottery criteria.

Quote:
U.S. immigration legislation in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) stipulates that a person may obtain permanent resident status primarily through the course of the following proceedings:[6]

* immigration through a family member
* immigration through employment
* immigration through investment
* immigration through the Diversity Lottery
* immigration through Refugee or Asylum status
* immigration through "The Registry" provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act

The reality is that 10% of Mexico's ENTIRE POPULATION resides within the Untied States. Mexico is a narco-state and an oligarchy that exists because the disarmed people there cannot fight back be it their government or the drug-lords who have taken the place of the government. We cannot accommodate immigration at such levels and provide maximum and optimal opportunities for our own citizenry.

The U.S. allows in a million immigrants a year. Since our last liberalization we've allowed in over 45 million immigrants and LEGAL immigrants are about 15% of our adult population.

Those don't sound like intolerant numbers, quite the opposite.

post #22 of 77
Quote:

We already do this. It's called a green card and it has plenty of non-lottery criteria.

The reality is that 10% of Mexico's ENTIRE POPULATION resides within the Untied States. Mexico is a narco-state and an oligarchy that exists because the disarmed people there cannot fight back be it their government or the drug-lords who have taken the place of the government. We cannot accommodate immigration at such levels and provide maximum and optimal opportunities for our own citizenry.

The U.S. allows in a million immigrants a year. Since our last liberalization we've allowed in over 45 million immigrants and LEGAL immigrants are about 15% of our adult population.

Those don't sound like intolerant numbers, quite the opposite.

There are only 300,000 coming in each year as of 2007 and maybe even less. If they were legalized they'd be contributing even more than they already are to the US economy. Think of how much more profits individuals and larger businesses have made with all that cheap labour.
post #23 of 77
Quote:

There are legal immigrants (fellow countrymen)... And there are ILLEGAL immigrants (criminals).
Differentiate between the two and we can have a discussion.

If you din't see them as fellow countrymen that's fine and I'm sure technically your right. From perspective however they are fellow countrymen, or should be in all but the snallest number of cases.

There's no doubt their illegal as is and that process needs to be stopped. Boundaries are there for a reason and laws ideally should be adhered to. These Mexican's have created wealth, worked hard and built lives here. For a nation who's history is so closely related to Mexico's with the subduing of it's native populations, maybe it's a sense of rivalry that brings about this state of all or nothing, as we see by some members here?
post #24 of 77

post #25 of 77
Quote:

Your point being? As you can see, there's no likely opportunity for the average worker to come through hard work and adherence to the law without getting extremely lucky. All these methods of immigration are linked to criteria the average worker cannot change. So if they're desperate enough, they come illegally. Give them an opportunity to do it legally, but make it so they have to show respect for the law. If they earn their way, they will be more likely to care.
post #26 of 77
Quote:

Some linkies say a little different than that but it appears we might be talking around how we are getting our respective numbers.

Don't have links for you right now but since the downturn in the US economy illegals coming from Mexico are around 300,000 a year. Will dig up some links later.
post #27 of 77
Quote:

If you din't see them as fellow countrymen that's fine and I'm sure technically your right. From perspective however they are fellow countrymen, or should be in all but the snallest number of cases.

No... the LARGEST number of immigrants (at least from Mexico) are ILLEGAL, and therefore should NOT be considered "fellow countrymen" ... they should be prosecuted and shipped back to Mexico (maybe with the paperwork for legal immigration, assuming they don't have any OTHER "black marks" on their record)... if they get caught a second time, they should loose their chance at LEGAL immigration.
I'm all for unlimited immigration... but only if it's done legally. If you're willing to circumvent our laws to get here, how can I not believe that you're going to continue to circumvent the laws while residing here???
post #28 of 77
Quote:

Don't have links for you right now but since the downturn in the US economy illegals coming from Mexico are around 300,000 a year. Will dig up some links later.

Obama stepped up deportations - he is deporting more than Bush did, and more are leaving because there are no jobs.

It would make our borders a lot more defensible if we invaded Mexico and Canada - very small border between Mexico and Guatemala.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #29 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Obama stepped up deportations - he is deporting more than Bush did, and more are leaving because there are no jobs.

It would make our borders a lot more defensible if we invaded Mexico and Canada - very small border between Mexico and Guatemala.

Yes he did to record levels as Bush did too. I wonder if more are being deported now than getting in. Maybe it cancels itself out as some of the deported one's make their back to their loved one's.

You make the neo-cons look like snow white doves. How do feel about a war for drilling rights in the Arctic?
post #30 of 77
Quote:

No... the LARGEST number of immigrants (at least from Mexico) are ILLEGAL, and therefore should NOT be considered "fellow countrymen" ... they should be prosecuted and shipped back to Mexico (maybe with the paperwork for legal immigration, assuming they don't have any OTHER "black marks" on their record)... if they get caught a second time, they should loose their chance at LEGAL immigration.
I'm all for unlimited immigration... but only if it's done legally. If you're willing to circumvent our laws to get here, how can I not believe that you're going to continue to circumvent the laws while residing here???

If you're concerned about crime I think it's a sure bet that legalizing them will lead to less crime.

I find it bizarre that many, including dems, want to grab thousands of dollars off them in fees if they want to stay. That's legalized robbery!
post #31 of 77
Quote:

That's legalized robbery!

So is the federal income tax.

post #32 of 77
Quote:

So is the federal income tax.

No it isn't.
post #33 of 77
The Immigration policy of The United States is not supposed to be walk in and get citizenship. You want to become a citizen, line up like everyone else and do it the right way.
There is not one States with a high illegal immigrant population witha balanced budget. They are a drain to the economy and will continue to be so even more so if legalized because of our idiotic chain migration law. More uneducated drains on the economy.
We have over a 10% unemployment rate. Legalizing illegals is an incredibly stupid idea.
All States should have Arizona's law, the illegals started leaving on their own without the Govmnt having to do anything until our President declared war on Arizona.
OFrauda's own amnesty speech had hyprocritical paragraphs one after the other. Giving them amnesty cannot be justified with any shred of common sense.
We are overpopulated and getting more so by the day. Swelling our ranks of the uneducated poor is a path to Third World status which we are heading towards at a rapid pace.
Join http://www.numbersusa.com and join the fight against illegal immigration. For no charge they will send you email alerts to contact politicians with one mouse click.
Vote out the Dems in November.
Take this country back.
post #34 of 77
Quote:

and you are going to pay for this program with what?
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #35 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve666 View Post

The Immigration policy of The United States is not supposed to be walk in and get citizenship. You want to become a citizen, line up like everyone else and do it the right way.

Good point! The Open Border's Lobby doesn't understand this!

Quote:

Legalizing illegals is an incredibly stupid idea.

Excellent point! Illegal immigrants drain our economy, illegally take government benefits, crowd our hospitals, and increase the crime rate!

Quote:

All States should have Arizona's law, the illegals started leaving on their own without the Govmnt having to do anything until our President declared war on Arizona.

Astute observation! The federal government favors Mexico over Arizona; something to remember in November when you vote!

Quote:

TVote out the Dems in November. Take this country back.

Wise counsel... the nation will respond...
post #36 of 77
Quote:

Take this country back.

to the dark ages.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #37 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormhole View Post

to the dark ages.

To a time when common sense ruled. When a recession hit while Ike was president he and Congress made a concerted effort to get rid of illegals.
It's called jobs for Americans-can ya dig it?
post #38 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormhole View Post

and you are going to pay for this program with what?

Shipping 'em home's gonna be a LOT cheaper than giving them healthcare, food, housing, and whatever other welfare they collect!
post #39 of 77
Quote:

Shipping 'em home's gonna be a LOT cheaper than giving them healthcare, food, housing, and whatever other welfare they collect!

We don't have to ship them home. Before the Arizona Law even took effect they were packing up, selling what they have and leaving. All it takes is to make them uncomfortable and to get rid of the jackass we have as President.
post #40 of 77
Quote:

There is not one States with a high illegal immigrant population witha balanced budget. They are a drain to the economy and will continue to be so even more so if legalized because of our idiotic chain migration law. More uneducated drains on the economy.
We have over a 10% unemployment rate. Legalizing illegals is an incredibly stupid idea.
OFrauda's own amnesty speech had hyprocritical paragraphs one after the other. Giving them amnesty cannot be justified with any shred of common sense.
We are overpopulated and getting more so by the day. Swelling our ranks of the uneducated poor is a path to Third World status which we are heading towards at a rapid pace.
Join http://www.numbersusa.com and join the fight against illegal immigration. For no charge they will send you email alerts to contact politicians with one mouse click.
Vote out the Dems in November.
Take this country back.

What on earth does illegal immigration have to do with the Dems? The last amnesty was brought forward and passed by Ronald Reagan. Repubs love illegal immigration because it provides certain business owners with cheap labor.

My suggestion is to get rid of the lottery and replace it with a work-for-citizenship plan that gives Repubs their cheap labor in certain industries, and also gives ambitious immigrants an alternative to illegal immigration.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Yes We MexiCan!