or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Nintendo aims to counter Apple with new portable 3D gaming system
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nintendo aims to counter Apple with new portable 3D gaming system - Page 2

post #41 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

That is one of the dumbest things I have read on these forums in a long, long time ...

I think you used the wrong word. "Dumb" would mean a flaw in my logic, whereas I think you mean something closer to "I disagree with this." Especially since you don't provide any info on where the flaw is, or what it is, etc.

I was really just stating an opinion anyway, but if I were to construct an argument I would say that Nintendo's sales are down and it's most recent mobile products have limited appeal outside of tweens. Said tweens are also flocking to the competition (iPod touch), in unprecedented numbers.

I mean come on, the DS has two(!) tiny(!) screens (which is just nuts to start with), and then you use a tiny stick to manipulate things on them? WTF? The DS is clearly destined to be simply an odd footnote in mobile computing if you ask me.
post #42 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Well, you've just helped prove my point. You write in your first paragraph that you have no intention of "exposing" you kids to a dedicated device. Therefore, no gaming devices have gone into your decision making. Your purchase of an iPod does not take away a sale from nintendo or sony, because you never would have purchased their products in the first place. Therefore, in your case, Apple is not competing with Nintendo.

In my case? Maybe. If Nintendo wants to look at it that way to reassure themselves that iPods are not a threat. However, looked at a little more broadly (than those who are out looking specifically for a dedicated gaming device, which I can't see as being that significant and sustainable) Apple makes "must-have mobile devices" with which parents can entertain, and educate, their kids. The post I replied to spoke of entertaining kids for a couple of hours per day, or in the car, for example. Unfortunately, that is a real need for real parents. Nintendo definitely wants me to consider their device for that role, whether or not I am really open to it or not. Nintendo has a real uphill battle for my dollars, and maybe increasingly with less determined consumers as well.

Does Nintendo attract my attention as an entertainment device for my children? No. Apple devices do. The post said that Nintendo's market is (presumably all) 6-16 year-olds, and yet you say it's no big deal that a good proportion of parents may never consider a dedicated gaming device because they think something like the iPod is much better value.

So, those are lost to Nintendo right off the bat, then? Then, among those who would "consider a gaming device" in their decision, the iPod is still going to be really attractive. But hey, Apple is not really competing with Nintendo, so, no worries.
post #43 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by krabbelen View Post

No, it's not stupid. I'm a parent of three -- 11, 8 and 5. I don't really want them playing video games too much. I certainly am not going to expose them to the more expensive and supposedly "better" games they are apparently "missing out on" since we have no "real" gaming console, portable or otherwise.

I do, however, have an iPod Touch, and I can barely get it away from my kids. It's great for travelling. I would never buy three cheaper portable gaming devices, whatever the cost. But they may well have the iPod Touch all to themselves as soon as I get an iPad. Then I will be competing for use of that, too. If I could get 5 iPads, or 4 more iPods, I would. It's true that I won't be "picking one up" for each child, but I would certainly get another one or two before I ever even considered a gaming console. To me, gaming is a waste of money, and that's stupid -- I would save up, or find a second-hand iPod Touch instead of going down that route, every time. Do something right, or don't do it.

So, get an iPod Touch, use it for your shopping list, synced calendars, contacts, car mileage, email, you name it -- and let the kids wrestle over it while you are driving. Their games and movies and artwork are all on there. Win-win. No contest between that and a gaming console! None whatsoever. I think I know what they will be saving their money for, too.

The games are fine; I don't know what they are missing, and we don't care. Head to head games (even on one iPod) are fun and my five-year-old beats me most of the time. There are also a lot of useful and educational programs for them, too. The five year-old has apps to help him read, art programs, information, etc. What more could I ask for. My kids are not going to be gamers, they are going to be productive, computer literate, web savvy kids.

If there are many other parents like me, and kids like mine, then Nintendo and Sony do have something to worry about.

Well said.
post #44 of 78
I sure hope it uses Tegra 2. The DS, while fun, is very underpowered, and has been stagnant since 2004 apart from minor refreshes. Tegra 2 would be like going from the Nintendo 64 to higher-than-PS2-level graphics.
post #45 of 78
I can't even tell what the point of contention is. As usual, the push back (why?) against the incontrovertible fact that Apple is making a lot of headway in the mobile gaming space is an incoherent mixture of "But those aren't real games!", some made up metrics regarding markets that show that Apple doesn't actually compete because they're selling to different people than Nintendo (why does that matter?) and some hand waving that seeks to confuse price points between the most expensive, on contract iPhone and the Touch (base model Touch available for $199).

iPod Touches are selling like hot-cakes, and I suspect are the basis for a lot of Apple's inroads. People are getting them for their kids because their kids want them, the games are cheap, readily available, and they wind up with something that can do more than play games (be an iPod, for one).

Of course Nintendo is concerned. Apple is converting a generation of casual game players to their ecosystem. Explaining, again, about how some Nintendo title is a real game while App Store games are stupid really doesn't have anything to do with it-- a sale's a sale.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #46 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by krabbelen View Post

In my case? Maybe. If Nintendo wants to look at it that way to reassure themselves that iPods are not a threat. However, looked at a little more broadly (than those who are out looking specifically for a dedicated gaming device, which I can't see as being that significant and sustainable) Apple makes "must-have mobile devices" with which parents can entertain, and educate, their kids. The post I replied to spoke of entertaining kids for a couple of hours per day, or in the car, for example. Unfortunately, that is a real need for real parents. Nintendo definitely wants me to consider their device for that role, whether or not I am really open to it or not. Nintendo has a real uphill battle for my dollars, and maybe increasingly with less determined consumers as well.

Does Nintendo attract my attention as an entertainment device for my children? No. Apple devices do. The post said that Nintendo's market is (presumably all) 6-16 year-olds, and yet you say it's no big deal that a good proportion of parents may never consider a dedicated gaming device because they think something like the iPod is much better value.

So, those are lost to Nintendo right off the bat, then? Then, among those who would "consider a gaming device" in their decision, the iPod is still going to be really attractive. But hey, Apple is not really competing with Nintendo, so, no worries.

Very well said. It's all about device convergence.
post #47 of 78
Nintendo has Pokemon and Mario Bros and a few other popular characters. As a parent of two boys, I did some fast math and bought one an iPod touch and the other got the handed down iPhone. They still prefer their DSes when at home as they mach up with the Wii characters. But when we hit the car, they grab the iPod touches. They can watch movies, play more games, and do more things with the Apple kit.

As a parent, I appreciate the cheap games and ever growing library. My older son is making the move towards his computer and iPod touch anyway. I'm sure it won't be long before he wants an iPad.

Some time ago, I thought the DS would be fun for a few things. Brain Age, Sudoku, etc. I was very glad when the iPod touch came out so I could get something more robust instead.

Nintendo is going to take a hit on their new stuff as there are a lot of devices competing now.
post #48 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

After the iPad hits the streets, I feel bad for Nintendo, the aftershocks will be painful for them.

3D portable gaming will be huge with middle-school kids.
post #49 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Oh God that brings back such funny memories. There was a kid at daycare that would bring that thing and want to play it, and we would walk up and wipe boogers on his cheek as he was playing.

As least he didn't get hit by a low-flying airplane.
post #50 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by krabbelen View Post

In my case? Maybe. If Nintendo wants to look at it that way to reassure themselves that iPods are not a threat. However, looked at a little more broadly (than those who are out looking specifically for a dedicated gaming device, which I can't see as being that significant and sustainable) Apple makes "must-have mobile devices" with which parents can entertain, and educate, their kids. The post I replied to spoke of entertaining kids for a couple of hours per day, or in the car, for example. Unfortunately, that is a real need for real parents. Nintendo definitely wants me to consider their device for that role, whether or not I am really open to it or not. Nintendo has a real uphill battle for my dollars, and maybe increasingly with less determined consumers as well.

Does Nintendo attract my attention as an entertainment device for my children? No. Apple devices do. The post said that Nintendo's market is (presumably all) 6-16 year-olds, and yet you say it's no big deal that a good proportion of parents may never consider a dedicated gaming device because they think something like the iPod is much better value.

So, those are lost to Nintendo right off the bat, then? Then, among those who would "consider a gaming device" in their decision, the iPod is still going to be really attractive. But hey, Apple is not really competing with Nintendo, so, no worries.

Very well said indeed.

I don't know how one can blindly dismiss this as not being competition? Before we can start discussing about franchises, device convergences, etc, what always matters most at the end of the day to any company, is the consumer dollar.

Your post, though clearly anecdotal, represents a great example of this at work. To dismiss that Nintendo and Apple are not in competition whatsoever is purely denial at this point.
post #51 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by quamb View Post

Yep - Nintendo announced this far too early. Strange particularly for them to do this.

Secondly, sometimes I find people (especially in these parts) are a little blinded by Apple.

For example, Nintendo has sold more then 125 million units, 2004-2010

To put this into perspective, the iPod, one of the greatest consumer success stories of all time and cultural icon of the 00's has sold 250 million units, 2001-2010.

To put it bluntly, the DS is an absolute phenomenon, something which is rarely talked about and recognised in the media and generally on sites like this.

Saying that Nintendo are combating Apple's creep into the gaming market is pure sensationalist bs. Sure Nintendo are watching their competition, obviously, but these guys are damn juggernauts, and it will take A LOT more for them to even break a sweat.

eg "After the iPad hits the streets, I feel bad for Nintendo, the aftershocks will be painful for them." Utter nonsense.

Well said... well said.
post #52 of 78
The thing People have to realize is that Nintendo does good because of their games. Not because of the hardware.

Also keep in mind its been rumoured that the 3ds will have a tegra or tegra 2 gpu in it by nvidia. Thats a huge leap foward for a handhelp video game system.
post #53 of 78
Why do you need 3d to play on a small 3.5 inch screen. Nintendo will keep its fans, but people who only play casually on the train or the bus will always play on their phones, because carrying two things that do the same thing is impractical, not to mention paying for a second hand held device and the game, which are more expensive on the DS.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #54 of 78
A little misleading in the article, but Nintendo Sales portable sales are up, obviously not as much as Apples, but up none the less. To me, they are clearly indirect competitiors and Apple is carving out a new niche of gamers, similar to what the Wii did with consoles. The casual, I'm bored waiting at the doctors office or on the train kind of gamer.

But Nintendo had 75% of $2.25 bil = 1.687 billion in 2008 and 70% of 2.55 billion = $1.785 billion in 2009. Growth of 6% on a mature platform isn't too bad, especially in a recession. Clearly Apple is growing the casual gamer, and driving the portable market.

Is it really at anyone's expense? Or is it driving a new part of the gaming market?
post #55 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Nintendo surprised the gaming world this week by preannouncing a glasses-free 3D successor to the Nintendo DS,

3D gaming? Hell - I took delivery of one, this (last) weekend (really). Although at 370 pounds - not sure how portable it is.





It's a nice novelty, but I'm not sure it's the future of gaming.

It could probably make a good MRI of your kid or household pet though. Hey CAT - time for a CAT SCAN! (meow ffst fssst scratch ow fssst rwaorw ow stop that! spit scratch)
post #56 of 78
^^^

nice!
post #57 of 78
A few others here mentioned Nintendo's software but nobody went further with it. Nintendo should release versions of their titles for the iPhone OS platforms, and they could even cross promote between them and their own platforms. For example, owning the Wii version of a game (and vice-versa) would unlock content in the other.
post #58 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by William 3.0 View Post

A few others here mentioned Nintendo's software but nobody went further with it. Nintendo should release versions of their titles for the iPhone OS platforms, and they could even cross promote between them and their own platforms. For example, owning the Wii version of a game (and vice-versa) would unlock content in the other.

Ha! Hell will freeze over first before Nintendo ever brings over any of their IPs to competing platforms. And we'll forget the Phillips CDi for the sake of argument.

Nintendo is in the business of selling software and HARDWARE. They are just well as known as Apple, for their secrecy, passion, perfectionist attitude, and ego.
post #59 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Nintendo has some good research and ideas but they never implement them well.

Apple should just buy them and put them out of their misery. Rape the patent library and send everyone home.

You're a funny guy.

While device convergence is good, you can't ignore the Nintendo Wii - a console which pales in versatility compared to its rivals, but has all but won the console wars. Dedicated gaming devices have been successful for decades. That said, Nintendo needs to react. Not sure if 3D is the way to go though. Combating the piracy the DS is rife with, now that would be a good place to start.

If Apple starts taking games more seriously (and there's overwhelming support for the iPad) I'll change my tune.
post #60 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB Sting View Post

Nintendo(one of my favorite companies on earth)anouched this thing WAAAY to early, they've just given sony ample time to create a competitor!

It's not about Sony. They're trying to reduce the number of system sales siphoned away by Apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

Real gamers use consoles anyway.

Seriously, if your going to spend upwards of $500 on a iPad just to play games, a $300 PS3 will give a hell of a lot better experience and play DVD's, CD's, BlueRay's and surf the internet in a pinch.

Maybe because the iPad is not just a game device. And for it's stated purpose, it's a lot better than 'surf the internet in a pinch'.

I doubt that many hard-core Nintendo users would buy the iPad instead. But a lot of people on the fence who won't play a lot of games, but would like a few might choose the iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotApple View Post

I'm also totally unimpressed by iPad. Sorry.

So you're not in the target audience. Why should anyone be sorry? It's not for everyone, nor was it ever claimed to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

We're not talking about value, we're talking about market. What 10 year old cares about syncing his calendar, and what 10 year old prefers an openGL racecar game for $1 to legend of zelda, f-zero or super mario brothers?

My 11 year old daughter does - at least much of the time. She likes portable, handheld, simple games when she has just a few minutes. When she has a longer time to play, she'll play Super Mario, but the only time she has enough time for that, she's at home, so no need for a Nintendo 3DS (or any other portable). But for those few minutes riding to school or hanging around, she is likely to happily use an iPad. In fact, she's already saving her money for one.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #61 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post

Ha! Hell will freeze over first before Nintendo ever brings over any of their IPs to competing platforms. And we'll forget the Phillips CDi for the sake of argument.

Nintendo is in the business of selling software and HARDWARE. They are just well as known as Apple, for their secrecy, passion, perfectionist attitude, and ego.

True. People forget that Nintendo IS the Apple of consoles.

1. Closed business model
2. Mainly sells hardware for the Wii instead of just software
3. Focuses on UI instead of GHZ
4. The home screen screams OSX
5. Both the Wii and the iphone were all predicted to fail miserably but instead confused pundits as to why they were wildly successful.
post #62 of 78
Dumb article prompts dumb responses. News at ten.
post #63 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

After the iPad hits the streets, I feel bad for Nintendo, the aftershocks will be painful for them.

Nonsense.

iPad is too big to compete against pocketable gaming device like DS. People will play on iPad, but it will be in different market segment.

That being said, I'm wondering what sort of 3D will 3Ds have. even with camera tracking head and helping screen image to readjust, current DS hardware is too weak to really cope with that (my personal opinion) while creating acceptable image quality.

Is 3Ds actually going to be completely new product..?
post #64 of 78
This doesn't really compute...

Quote:
Nintendo has not revealed how the 3D visuals will be achieved without special glasses, though head-tracking through an integrated camera is likely the simplest option. The method allows a system to track the position of a user's head with a camera and adjust the image on the screen accordingly.

If it is indeed glasses-free, it is likely a form of lenticular display.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #65 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This doesn't really compute...



If it is indeed glasses-free, it is likely a form of lenticular display.

There is already one DSi title using head tracking 3D. Looks awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf8udkeVcVs
post #66 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by krabbelen View Post


So, those are lost to Nintendo right off the bat, then?

Yes, people like you who have clearly stated they would never buy a video game system are clearly lost to Nintendo.

Do you expect Nintendo to develop a telephone or tablet computer just to compete with your dollar?

Do you expect cattle farmers to grow spinach to compete for a share of the vegetarian market?
post #67 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


My 11 year old daughter does - at least much of the time. She likes portable, handheld, simple games when she has just a few minutes. When she has a longer time to play, she'll play Super Mario, but the only time she has enough time for that, she's at home, so no need for a Nintendo 3DS (or any other portable). But for those few minutes riding to school or hanging around, she is likely to happily use an iPad. In fact, she's already saving her money for one.

I shudder to think of an 11 year old working enough hours to be able to pay $500 for an iPad to play simple video games on it when she doesn't have time for Super Mario Bros. Either you have way too much money, or your daughter is skipping school to work and/or selling drugs.

Unless she's just your "imaginary" 11 year old girl. But that makes me shudder too.
post #68 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

I shudder to think of an 11 year old working enough hours to be able to pay $500 for an iPad to play simple video games on it when she doesn't have time for Super Mario Bros. Either you have way too much money, or your daughter is skipping school to work and/or selling drugs.

Well at least we have proof you've never played a single video game your entire life, because the Xbox or PS3 (obviously) never cost anywhere near or above 500 according to your logic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_launch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlaySta...ta_and_pricing

The XBox and PS3 are systems. Systems used for playing games. They don't even come with a screen attached, you have to hook them up to a screen. Imagine that.

Welcome to Earth. We have water here. It's wet.
post #69 of 78
The article states:
Quote:
The Nintendo DS is the best-selling portable videogame system of all time. It has shipped more than 125 million units since it debuted in 2004. But minor hardware revisions from Nintendo have not been enough to prevent the growth of the iPhone and iPod touch in the mobile gaming realm.

This week, it was revealed that Apple's mobile devices had taken a 19 percent share of the mobile gaming market. Apple is now estimated to control 5 percent of the revenue in a $10 billion industry, thanks to the popularity of the App Store.

However, wasn't 2009 a record year for the Nintendo DS?

This guy seems to think that Apple is basically irrelevant to Nintendo:

http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/20...do-with-apple/
post #70 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not BS in the least. Apple making major headway into the mobile gaming revenue is newsworthy and why Nintendo is concerned, as they've stated.

Really? Iwata's statements indicate otherwise:

http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/20...ing-the-i-pad/
http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/20...isrupt-gaming/

Quote:
Being a juggernaut doesn't mean you can't lose marketshare or profit to a competitor

Wasn't 2009 a record year for the Nintedo DS?

Quote:
But it's not just the iPhone they are worried about

Please show me a quote where they are expressing concern about the iPhone.
post #71 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I mean come on, the DS has two(!) tiny(!) screens (which is just nuts to start with), and then you use a tiny stick to manipulate things on them? WTF? The DS is clearly destined to be simply an odd footnote in mobile computing if you ask me.

Are you joking? The Nintendo DS has sold more than 100 million units! Footnote? LOL.
post #72 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Nintendo has publicly stated that they consider the iPod touch a threat to their portable gaming console.

Really? Source, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The issue Nintendo will face is if people need and will buy phones and the phones can provide games, what reason do they have to buy a DS too?

You ask them. 2009 was a record year for the DS. All these fancy phones, and the DS is selling like crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB Sting View Post

Nintendo(one of my favorite companies on earth)anouched this thing WAAAY to early, they've just given sony ample time to create a competitor!

Or they are leading Sony down the wrong path:

http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/20...he-wrong-road/

Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

After the iPad hits the streets, I feel bad for Nintendo, the aftershocks will be painful for them.

LOL. The iPad is basically irrelevant to Nintendo:

http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/20...ing-the-i-pad/
post #73 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by insike View Post

Please show me a quote where they are expressing concern about the iPhone.

Based on your other comments, most notably assuming that their current DS HW sales means that they aren't concerned about the future of their gaming sales, you'll likely have some reply trying to negate the validity of this WSJ article and quote. Note that, as I've previously stated, a CEO officially acknowledging the growth and threat of a competitor often means that they have something in the pipeline they feel will be successful to retain or improve their market position.
"If we can't make clear why customers pay a lot of money to play games on Nintendo hardware and Nintendo software and differentiate ourselves from games on the mobile phone or iPhone, then our future is dark," said Mr. Iwata at a recent company event.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...534809890.html Until you drop your personal feelings about Nintendo and Apple you're not going to be able to make an objective comment.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #74 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by insike View Post

Are you joking? The Nintendo DS has sold more than 100 million units! Footnote? LOL.

Actually, it's 125M units, but that has no baring on Gazoobee's comment about MOBILE COMPUTING not HANDHELD GAMING. Whether you want to acknowledge it or not the market is changing and the future will be a multi-functional device, not a device that can do gaming well with limited functionality in other areas. Nintendo surely knows this, why don't you?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #75 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Nintendo has publicly stated that they consider the iPod touch a threat to their portable gaming console.

I think the exact quote was that they are more worried about the iPod touch / iphone than they are about the PSP. Which could mean that they're quite worried, slightly worried, or not worried in the slightest.
post #76 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by quamb View Post

Yep - Nintendo announced this far too early. Strange particularly for them to do this.

Actually, announcing a product 8-12 months before launch is pretty standard in the gaming industry. If I remember rightly, PSP and DS were announced at the end of 2003, shown at E3 2004 and launched at the end of 2004.

Presumably development kits have already gone out, so it would only be a matter of time before word leaks out about the 3d capability, etc.
post #77 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This doesn't really compute...



If it is indeed glasses-free, it is likely a form of lenticular display.

I'd rather Nintendo stops providing safe-harbor for shovelware instead of talking about their upcoming gimmicks. I've got a Wii packed away that's being gifted to someone who wants to play nothing more than Wii Sports.

If they weren't raping Mario for more coins, I'd pay attention to Nintendo again.

If you want to think about new gaming metaphors, think about this - an extensible LAN party map / surface game. Instead of a big-ass table (trademark by Microsoft Surface) - people can join the party with their own slice and extend the gameplay universe. Everyone who brings an iPad to the party, expands a competitive map and changes the course of the game. Now THAT could be - fun - something sorely lacking from Nintendo these days (outside a few tired threadbare franchises). Unless you want to play more WiiFit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iYBmAVuBns
post #78 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

Well at least we have proof you've never played a single video game your entire life, because the Xbox or PS3 (obviously) never cost anywhere near or above 500 according to your logic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_launch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlaySta...ta_and_pricing

The XBox and PS3 are systems. Systems used for playing games. They don't even come with a screen attached, you have to hook them up to a screen. Imagine that.

Welcome to Earth. We have water here. It's wet.

You don't seem to have followed the conversation. It would be a good idea for you to read the thread before posting, because your comment really has little to do with what I wrote.

Dude claimed his 11-year old daughter was saving up for an iPad because she doesn't always have time to play Super Mario on her Nintendo DS.

But you do get top points for being an ass! Yes, I have played video games, and just because the iPad costs as much as much a Playstation did at launch, does not mean it is competing for market share with Playstation3. Sorry, but it just doesn't. Maybe there is too much water where you live.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Nintendo aims to counter Apple with new portable 3D gaming system