or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › A third of Apple iPad buyers plan to read books, newspapers

A third of Apple iPad buyers plan to read books, newspapers

post #1 of 58
More than a third of those eyeing Apple's forthcoming iPad will read books, newspapers and magazines on the touchscreen device, a new study has found.

In a poll of 2,176 consumers released this week, comScore found that 37 percent of potential iPad owners said it is "likely" that they will read books on the device. Another 34 percent said they would read newspapers and magazines.

Ironically, those totals are more than the 26 percent of respondents who said they would download software from the App Store, suggesting consumers may be confused as to how they will access books and newspapers on the device. Apple's iBooks application, which includes the iBookstore marketplace, will not come preinstalled on the iPad, and must be downloaded from the App Store.

The study also found that consumers who are already a part of the Apple mobile ecosystem, referred to by comScore as "iOwners," are more likely to pay for newspaper and magazine subscriptions than others. In all, 52 percent of "iOwners" said they were willing to subscribe to print content formatted for an e-reader, while 22 percent of all other consumers said they would be willing to subscribe.

"These findings suggest that those who are already familiar and comfortable with making digital content purchases via iTunes may have a relatively higher receptivity to making similar purchases for the iPad," the report said.

The survey provides some insight as to how users plan to use the new portable multimedia device, which goes on sale April 3. The most popular option for users is browsing the Internet, with 50 percent saying they will access their favorite Web sites via the iPad.

Close behind is checking e-mail, which 48 percent of respondents said they plan to do. In addition, 38 percent will listen to music, 37 percent will use the address book and contact list functionality, and 36 percent plan to watch videos and movies.

The study also found that consumer awareness of the iPad has matched that of Amazon's Kindle, with 65 percent of respondents having heard of both. Demand for the iPad has also exceeded the Kindle, as 15 percent said they will seriously consider buying an iPad, while 14 percent would consider the Kindle.

That supports another study released earlier this month that found that interest in the Amazon Kindle has waned after the iPad was introduced in late January. Until now, the Kindle has been far-and-away the e-reader market leader, but its black-and-white e-ink display makes it suitable for a very limited number of tasks.

Additional discoveries from the comScore study include:

Consumers are generally happy with the "iPad" name, with 49 percent having a positive impression and 27 percent indifferent. The results are also gender-neutral, with both men and women having the same reaction.
Unsurprisingly, those who already preordered an iPad are likely to already own an iPhone or iPod touch. But 15 percent of both "iOwners" and "non-iOwners" said they are likely to buy.
In terms of cannibalism, 37 percent of respondents said they are most likely to have the iPad replace an iPod touch. But only 22 percent of consumers said they would use an iPad in place of a netbook.
AT&T customers are more likely to buy the iPad in its first three months, with 25 percent of them stating their intent. But just 10 percent of Verizon subscribers said they will buy an iPad.
post #2 of 58
Not this kid.

1. Internet
2. Test apps
post #3 of 58
I'll be on the line next week saturday.
post #4 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In terms of cannibalism, 37 percent of respondents said they are most likely to have the iPad replace an iPod touch. But only 22 percent of consumers said they would use an iPad in place of a netbook.

If that's true, then I guess a huge portion of iPod Touch owners don't use their iPods for listening to music on the go.
post #5 of 58
Quote:
37 percent "likely" that they will read books on the device.

The new higher costs is obviously a issue.

e-Books have already started coming to Mac's with Amazon's Kindle for the Mac software. CourseSmart has textbooks, lets one read less than 20% to judge and get a refund if they don't like it.

Really don't need another device for that, unless you have children.

Quote:
34 percent said they would read newspapers and magazines.

Newspapers perhaps, but I doubt magazines would work well on a iPad, as a lot of magazine content is duplicated on the net an not subject to advertiser influence like it is on a magazine. (only exception would be Consumer Reports)

Quote:
50 percent saying they will access their favorite Web sites via the iPad.

Same situation as computers, people will turn to the net first for content.

Quote:
48 percent check email

Duplicate computer or smaller device functionality

Quote:
38 percent will listen to music

Need large storage, 64GB isn't enough for music and everything else for a lot of folks.

Quote:
37 percent will use the address book and contact list functionality

dupe functionality

Quote:
36 percent plan to watch videos and movies.

Need large storage and constant syncing with main computer, a chore. People will opt for a large non-reflective screen for watching movies first, the iPad second for long stays away from their TV.

Quote:
37 percent of respondents said they are most likely to have the iPad replace an iPod touch

OUCH! Just a bigger iPod Touch, talk about cannibalism.

Quote:
only 22 percent of consumers said they would use an iPad in place of a netbook.

Netbooks gives a lot more ergonomic features, it holds the screen in place to match the eyes, has a real tactile feel keyboard, lots more storage and the screen doesn't get all scratched up. Also for $300 you get the complete standalone machine, the iPad requires additional purchases to function and another computer to operate.

Apple created the ultimate up-sale device with the iPad, for $499 it gets one in the door, but over time with additional necessities, like a keyboard, stand, case, more storage, etc. the price comes up to what one could have bought a MacBook for.

If your main Mac goes down, one can use the MacBook to help, boot into Firewire target disk mode, but with the iPad one can't. Something to think about.

The iPad provides no essential use for the general computing public like the iPod did. It will sell as well as a iPod Touch does and for gaming purposes chiefly is my guess. It all could change if Apple solves a new market need.
post #6 of 58
Of course e-reading is going to be a big draw for iPad customers. It interests me, I want to read books, magazines and newspapers on the iPad - as well as everything else it offers.
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
post #7 of 58
iPad Buyer:

Read eBooks - Check
Read online Newspapers - Nope
Surf non-flash websites - Check
Play iPad Games - Check
Watch movies - Nope (maybe while traveling, prob not tho')
Listen to Music on the go - Nope, iPhone for that.
Manage Household Calendars, shopping lists, etc - Check
Write the great american novel - Nope :-)
post #8 of 58
The numbers don't surprise me except the near tie in interest in purchasing a Kindle vs. iPad. I guess those numbers will shift in favor of the iPad once the device actually hits the streets.
post #9 of 58
I don't see prospective iPad owners as being "confused" about downloading software vs. e-books, newspapers and magazines. I think the assumption is that Apple will bundle an e-book reader with the iPad, thus enabling such a thing without downloading software. As for buying software, that's a pretty theoretical opportunity at this point. Put an iPad in people's hands and give them compelling software choices and they will become downloaders of software. But asking that question now doesn't really make sense.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #10 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

I'll be ahead of you. Going Thursday night
post #11 of 58
Pretty dope-y survey.

Headline translated: "Two-thirds of those who will have plonked down a few hundred dollars for the iPad will not read books or newspapers/magazines on iPad!"

Yeah, sure.
post #12 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

If that's true, then I guess a huge portion of iPod Touch owners don't use their iPods for listening to music on the go.

If my iPod buying history is any indication the cannibalizing of one iPod could mean the purchase of another iPod so I don't think we can assume that they don't use their Touch for music.

For instance, I have never had an iPod Classic, started with the Mini, but with the iPhone came out I scraped it as my music player buy also bought an iPod Shuffle. I'm tentatively considering replacing my iPhone with an iPad since I honestly dislike making/taking phone calls, can use Google Voice when needed, almost always carry a book with anyway and save $40+/month in the process. If carry an iPad as a music player doesn't work out I can just use my Shuffle or, more likely, buy a Nano.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #13 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Don't buy too many. I will be their in a couple of weeks and need at least two!!!
post #14 of 58
Quote:

I must admit I listen to less music and tend to read more with my iPod Touch. At one time I'd kill time in a waiting room for example listening to music on my iPod whereas now I'd rather catch up on AppleIsider or CNN, BBC, NPR etc. Just remembering to carry my reading glasses everywhere is the only problem.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Long on AAPL so biased
post #15 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I don't see prospective iPad owners as being "confused" about downloading software vs. e-books, newspapers and magazines. I think the assumption is that Apple will bundle an e-book reader with the iPad, thus enabling such a thing without downloading software. As for buying software, that's a pretty theoretical opportunity at this point. Put an iPad in people's hands and give them compelling software choices and they will become downloaders of software. But asking that question now doesn't really make sense.

Exactly, surveys and polls are very good at getting the answers they want to get most times. Like asking a poll question "Do you agree with Healthcare reform?" answer from a Republican = "No." Now ask the same person, "if your wife became sick with cancer would you want your insurance company to tell you you had reached the limit of what they'd pay and you were going to have to sell your house for the next treatment or she dies." Now see what the answer is.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #16 of 58
It makes sense to have the iBook App pre-installed in the iPad, iPod and iPhone with the billing info tied directly to the App Store. It would just be much more efficient than having to download the app and then enter the billing info again!

Also, Apple needs to charge freeloaders like Google, Facebook and even You Tube for a cut of the add revenues. Google in particular has been having a free ride off everybody's work like newspapers, books, etc. Time somebody cut them to size... besides China.
post #17 of 58
Quote:

I don't.
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
post #18 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I must admit I listen to less music and tend to read more with my iPod Touch. At one time I'd kill time in a waiting room for example listening to music on my iPod whereas now I'd rather catch up on AppleIsider or CNN, BBC, NPR etc. Just remembering to carry my reading glasses everywhere is the only problem.

Funny.
I'm exactly the same on almost every one of your points. (especially the glasses part)
post #19 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Funny.
I'm exactly the same on almost every one of your points. (especially the glasses part)

Me too. Don't forget the AP app, though.
post #20 of 58
i will surf the web and use logmein ignition on mine. maybe play a game or two. if i want to read, i will still use my kindle. the screen on the kindle is perfect for reading. a glass screen will not be good for reading a book.....
post #21 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

...a glass screen will not be good for reading a book.....

sure won't, the whole screen film, protector, anti-reflective/glare, anti-scratch, issue will arise again.

oh brother...

And 36% are UNLIKELY to download a app from the App Store! WOW!

Apple has got a problem.
post #22 of 58
"But only 22 percent of consumers said they would use an iPad in place of a netbook."

I'd like to see the percent who say this after using their iPad for a few weeks. My guess is that it will be close to 100%.
post #23 of 58
The feedback regarding the name "iPad" is interesting and what I expected. I've read several articles that claim that the name is a fail, and it suggests that Apple is clueless about how the name could subject them to ridicule. There was also speculation that maybe there are few women at Apple, therefore nobody recognized that there was a potential problem with the name. I've always thought that line of reasoning made no sense. I strongly suspect that at least somebody in the inner circle at Apple realized that there would be jokes about the name. What they also realized is that the benefits of using the name outweighed the potential and temporary negatives. We humans are very adaptable. We get used to stuff. The "Wii" sounded a bit odd at first. Now it's just another name. If the iPad is a good device, the name will not be an issue, even for less mature among us.
post #24 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brometheus View Post

The feedback regarding the name "iPad" is interesting and what I expected. I've read several articles that claim that the name is a fail, and it suggests that Apple is clueless about how the name could subject them to ridicule. There was also speculation that maybe there are few women at Apple, therefore nobody recognized that there was a potential problem with the name...

Yea, that's water under the bridge now.

All the iPad menstrual jokes have dried up.
post #25 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brometheus View Post

The feedback regarding the name "iPad" is interesting and what I expected. I've read several articles that claim that the name is a fail, and it suggests that Apple is clueless about how the name could subject them to ridicule. There was also speculation that maybe there are few women at Apple, therefore nobody recognized that there was a potential problem with the name. I've always thought that line of reasoning made no sense. I strongly suspect that at least somebody in the inner circle at Apple realized that there would be jokes about the name. What they also realized is that the benefits of using the name outweighed the potential and temporary negatives. We humans are very adaptable. We get used to stuff. The "Wii" sounded a bit odd at first. Now it's just another name. If the iPad is a good device, the name will not be an issue, even for less mature among us.

True. And Apple also knew that they will be selling the iPad all over the world an not just in the US. This whole "pad" thing is only an issue in the US, because they don't call feminine hygiene products "pads" elsewhere in the world.

And I think it was more of immature people looking to nit pick at it. I wonder if these same people had an issue with Google or Wii?
post #26 of 58
We're way past the whole "pad" naming humour. The jokes aren't really funny anymore, and besides, it seems to be having little impact on the device's popularity. iPad competitors are living in mortal terror of it, and the Future Shock the iPad brought down on everyone's head still hasn't quite subsided. Apple's iPad numbers are going to shock everyone from Wall Street analysts to online bookies. Seems that once again, even when Apple appears to be wrong, they're actually right. I've never witnessed a company - any company - make all the right moves for so long. Whatever it is attributable to, may it continue.
post #27 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

We're way past the whole "pad" naming humour. The jokes aren't really funny anymore, and besides, it seems to be having little impact on the device's popularity. iPad competitors are living in mortal terror of it, and the Future Shock the iPad brought down on everyone's head still hasn't quite subsided. Seems that once again, even when Apple appears to be wrong, they're actually right. I've never witnessed a company - any company - make all the right moves for so long. Whatever it is attributable to, may it continue.

If anything, when they do make a wrong move, it will be spectacular!
post #28 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

If anything, when they do make a wrong move, it will be spectacular!

There are a lot of people on these boards waiting for just that!
post #29 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

There are a lot of people on these boards waiting for just that!

Hehe yeah, it'll happen someday. That's why I think investing ENTIRELY in Apple's ecosystem is a bad move - putting all your eggs into one basket as they say!
post #30 of 58
Wait until people find out about mouse pads, knee pads and brake pads! Then the jokes will be rolling in!!
post #31 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Wait until people find out about mouse pads, knee pads and brake pads! Then the jokes will be rolling in!!

Don't forget notepads.
post #32 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

Don't forget notepads.

Or a launch pad!
post #33 of 58
"you and your little iPad too!"

Sorry Xdream, you made that too easy.

Anyway, let's see if some past history from previous releases can shed some light of the peculiarities you cited there. Hmmmmm.

Apple announces 100,000 iPhone pre-orders - hunh. Nope they didn't do that.
Apple announces 200,000 iPhone 3G pre-orders - hunh. Nope.
Apple announces 300,000 iPhone 3GS pre-orders - heh. Nope
Apple predicts over 24 million iPad sold in first day - Nope they do that either.
So making a prediction based on a behavior that Apple hasn't done in the past seems well, dumb?

Apple reports millions of iPhones SOLD - check. Apple reports millions of apps downloaded - check. See, actual behavior is a much better predictor of future behavior.

post #34 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by masternav View Post

"you and your little iPad too!"

Sorry Xdream, you made that too easy.

Anyway, let's see if some past history from previous releases can shed some light of the peculiarities you cited there. Hmmmmm.

Apple announces 100,000 iPhone pre-orders - hunh. Nope they didn't do that.
Apple announces 200,000 iPhone 3G pre-orders - hunh. Nope.
Apple announces 300,000 iPhone 3GS pre-orders - heh. Nope
Apple predicts over 24 million iPad sold in first day - Nope they do that either.
So making a prediction based on a behavior that Apple hasn't done in the past seems well, dumb?

Apple reports millions of iPhones SOLD - check. Apple reports millions of apps downloaded - check. See, actual behavior is a much better predictor of future behavior.

Yeah, but try telling that to Shaw Wu.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #35 of 58
"Ironically, those totals are more than the 26 percent of respondents who said they would download software from the App Store, suggesting consumers may be confused as to how they will access books and newspapers on the device."

Gotta be confusion. I believe the power of this device is IN THE APPS and I'm not talking about the apps we are used to with the Touch and iPhone. I'd like to see a Photoshop Lite or Dreamweaver Lite app. Apps that are mini software versions of their big brother. If I'm on the road and a client needs a quick change to their site, I can launch DW Lite, make the change, upload and done.

This is where the usefulness of this device will take off.
post #36 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Really its kind of interesting how the rumors about selling hundreds of thousands of iPads in the first few days has just suddenly gone away. Apple hasn't released any numbers. You would think if the iPad has sold that well in pre orders some form of news would have come from Apple.

Any links directly from Apple on iPad pre order sales?

And using a Quadra quote its funny with such a "serious system" everything listed as a task is the most basic taks that most already do with either their iPhone or Touch or for that matter netbook.

Also for something you deemed a Kindle killer 1% consideration I would say falls in the well within a margin of error.

So we have a device that people are going to use to surf the web, check email and update their address book. Based on this survey. Damn you can smell the fear in the air.

Based on your rhetoric about how powerful this device is that heavy Photoshop work wasn't listed.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/201...t-10000-a.html

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...s_Most_Popular

Apple doesn't need to release numbers yet. Anyone with more imagination than a rock will realize that iPad preorder sales are nothing short of phenomenal. In fact, when Apple *does* release numbers, it'll be more than what even the optimistic would have guessed.

By all means, though, keep downplaying it. Who can blame you, really? Apple's redefined the very rules of the game and you still can't get the basics right.
post #37 of 58
Quote:

"Apple predicts over 24 million iPad sold in first day - Nope they do that either."

LOL. Really 24 million? I believe you may have that number incorrect.

All his examples were fictitious like your logic since Apple has never released pre-order numbers for any of its products, even those that have been wildly successful. They will release sales numbers when it suits them, usually when a milestone has been passed e.g. 1Mil sold, 500K first weekend etc.
IIRC, we typically got our early iPhone sales data from AT&T.
post #38 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by msb0014 View Post

Gotta be confusion.

All this proves is, if you ask abstract questions, you can't expect concrete answers.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #39 of 58
Quote:

Really its kind of interesting how the rumors about selling hundreds of thousands of iPads in the first few days has just suddenly gone away. Apple hasn't released any numbers. You would think if the iPad has sold that well in pre orders some form of news would have come from Apple.

Any links directly from Apple on iPad pre order sales?

It's quite likely that pre-order sales and reservations are going very well, so well that there have been no more iPad ads or announcements at all from Apple.

If that is the case, then Apple can easily wait until April 3 to make additional announcements and get the most bang for their buck - as they'll be iPads in the Stores for people to play with that weekend.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
post #40 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

The new higher costs is obviously a issue.

e-Books have already started coming to Mac's with Amazon's Kindle for the Mac software. CourseSmart has textbooks, lets one read less than 20% to judge and get a refund if they don't like it.

Mac availability of Kindle is irrelevant - almost no-one will e-read on a mac. CourseSmart is a small niche player that could be swallowed whole if iBooks gets the right content with the right deals. We'll see - it certainly won't be any form of real reason not to have an iPad

Quote:
Really don't need another device for that, unless you have children.

The whole duplication thing is a red herring. The nature of modern computing is total duplication, main computer, handheld device, cloud etc. duping on the iPad is a requirement since its usage occasion is different to most other devices (or a superior experience to the smaller device. I for one will be replacing the use of my iPhone at the couch with an iPad for the superior experience and I want most of the same core data (contacts, email, faves etc.) on it as on my iPhone or Mac.

Quote:
Newspapers perhaps, but I doubt magazines would work well on a iPad, as a lot of magazine content is duplicated on the net an not subject to advertiser influence like it is on a magazine. (only exception would be Consumer Reports)

Magazine demos have been far more interesting than newspapers. If publishers combine compelling content (which they should have already) with more innovative and fresh methods of display, value added content etc. magazines could be a real winner.

Quote:
Duplicate computer or smaller device functionality

See above - duplication of content or function is a requirement if it performs better in specific use cases/occasions

Quote:
Need large storage, 64GB isn't enough for music and everything else for a lot of folks.

The opposite is true, 64GB is way more than the general user needs given that they will sync, charge in fairly regular intervals, like everyone does who adds more music to their iPod. Most people's music libraries cannot even remotely fill an iPod nano anyway (1000-2000 songs)

Quote:
dupe functionality

See above

Quote:
Need large storage and constant syncing with main computer, a chore. People will opt for a large non-reflective screen for watching movies first, the iPad second for long stays away from their TV.

Physical sync is hardly a chore... it is a step more than wireless sync but hardly a big deal since the iPod has neatly trained hundreds of millions of people to do it. Most people are not voracious with their movie watching and don't have time to watch 10 movies stacked on any device. The iPad will not be better than a TV for movies but will be better than laptops, desktops, iPhones for many use cases (on couch, in bed, in hotel, on airplane, in kitchen etc.)

Quote:
OUCH! Just a bigger iPod Touch, talk about cannibalism.

I will be replacing the USE of my iPhone with the ipad but not getting rid of the iPhone. The iTouch will still have its uses (games, portable music etc.) and will no doubt be handed down to one of the kids, parents etc. There will be some cannibalization for sure butI suspect that every displaced iTouch will create one more user who will later want an iPad

Quote:
Netbooks - blah blah, yawn yawn, tired logic...

The iPad provides no essential use for the general computing public like the iPod did. It will sell as well as a iPod Touch does and for gaming purposes chiefly is my guess. It all could change if Apple solves a new market need.

Your opinion of what the general computing public wants is hardly scientific. If it sells as well as the Touch, that will mean 30 mill in a couple of years which will be stellar, but it will be the apps (most of which have not been conceived of yet) that will determine the value of the iPad to the market. Media consumption is just a simple jumping off point because everyone does it... the rest is to be written. Notice the new iPhone ads - all pimping the 3rd party app-based functionality while (An)droid is still talking about basic OS features...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › A third of Apple iPad buyers plan to read books, newspapers