or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › A third of Apple iPad buyers plan to read books, newspapers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A third of Apple iPad buyers plan to read books, newspapers - Page 2

post #41 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In terms of cannibalism, 37 percent of respondents said they are most likely to have the iPad replace an iPod touch. But only 22 percent of consumers said they would use an iPad in place of a netbook.

Ouch. 37% will drop the iPod to transition to the iPad, though kind of expected since the two are so similar.

The most striking is that only 22% would replace their netbook with it. Does this mean that there are going to be Netbook and iPad owners. That is a bit of overkill. If it means that out of people who would otherwise buy a netbook 22% would now buy an iPad, the numbers are amazing.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #42 of 58
I will play 'Bloons'

Seriously, only 50% plan to browse the web? I think the survey is flawed. Surely over 90% of iPad owners will use the device's web browser.
post #43 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

...
The iPad provides no essential use for the general computing public like the iPod did. It will sell as well as a iPod Touch does and for gaming purposes chiefly is my guess. It all could change if Apple solves a new market need.

You have your point of view. I don't think it needs to solve a new market need. But let's consider some others:

Neil Young, CEO and cofounder, ngmoco: "Forget the netbook. It’s a slow, clunky piece of junk. Do I want to look like the guy who couldn’t afford a real computer or the guy who went to the future and brought back a device that’s as cool as I imagine I am?"
(Yeah, he's got self-interest since he's writing apps for the iPad. But it's also his investment and company on the line.)

Gina Bianchini, CEO, Ning: "A smartphone is mobile, but it isn’t fun to browse on. On a laptop, the technology is built in, but few want to carry around a 6-pound computer for the privilege of using a browser. The tablet bridges this gap."

Chris Anderson, Editor in chief, Wired: "Bigger than a phone, funner than a laptop, more cuddly than a Kindle. I think they’re going to sell like hotcakes."

Steven Johnson, Science writer: "With the arrival of the tablet, we have crossed a critical threshold: Where text is concerned, we effectively have infinite computational resources, connectivity, and portability."

All quotes from http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/03/ff_tablet_essays/
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #44 of 58
The idea that Apple didn't realise the female sanitary wear allusion with the name is pretty silly, you can be sure they think these things through very carefully. iPod - iPad - they were never going to give that advantage away. They have achieved the Holy Grail of consumer devices - where a product name becomes the generic name, which has even given its name to a new sub-form of media. People download podcasts to listen on their Zune (not many people admittedly, but you get the point). A passing wave of post-adolescent sniggering in US High Schools doesn't really figure in the big picture here.
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
post #45 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

You have your point of view. I don't think it needs to solve a new market need. But let's consider some others:

Neil Young, CEO and cofounder, ngmoco: "Forget the netbook. Its a slow, clunky piece of junk. Do I want to look like the guy who couldnt afford a real computer or the guy who went to the future and brought back a device thats as cool as I imagine I am?"
(Yeah, he's got self-interest since he's writing apps for the iPad. But it's also his investment and company on the line.)

Gina Bianchini, CEO, Ning: "A smartphone is mobile, but it isnt fun to browse on. On a laptop, the technology is built in, but few want to carry around a 6-pound computer for the privilege of using a browser. The tablet bridges this gap."

Chris Anderson, Editor in chief, Wired: "Bigger than a phone, funner than a laptop, more cuddly than a Kindle. I think theyre going to sell like hotcakes."

Steven Johnson, Science writer: "With the arrival of the tablet, we have crossed a critical threshold: Where text is concerned, we effectively have infinite computational resources, connectivity, and portability."

All quotes from http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/03/ff_tablet_essays/

Exactly. Neil Young's post is particularly lucid.
post #46 of 58
.....and view one third of the internet.
post #47 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

.....and view one third of the internet.

HTML5. It's the future, and developers and content providers would be wise to get comfortable with it NOW, because if your content doesn't play well with Apple devices you're doing it wrong. It's a whole new ballgame in 2010 and beyond.
post #48 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

HTML5. It's the future, and developers and content providers would be wise to get comfortable with it NOW, because if your content doesn't play well with Apple devices you're doing it wrong. It's a whole new ballgame in 2010 and beyond.

Scratch my head?
Blu-ray doesn't play well with Apple and it's doing amazing. In fact I picked up the Toy Story Blu today- it looks amazing and saw the Steve Jobs producer credit. Great pics of Steve from back in 1994-95 on its special features as well. Ironic that it won't play on any Apple device nor can I connect my Blu-ray to the HD iMac monitor. Blu-ray is hardly doing anything wrong .
post #49 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

Scratch my head?
Blu-ray doesn't play well with Apple and it's doing amazing. In fact I picked up the Toy Story Blu today- it looks amazing and saw the Steve Jobs producer credit. Great pics of Steve from back in 1994-95 on its special features as well. Ironic that it won't play on any Apple device nor can I connect my Blu-ray to the HD iMac monitor. Blu-ray is hardly doing anything wrong .

Who the hell said anything about Blu Ray? You mentioned some nonsense about the iPad's internet abilities as they are related to Flash. OBVIOUSLY this means intenet content.

Pull your head out, already.
post #50 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

Scratch my head?
Blu-ray doesn't play well with Apple and it's doing amazing. In fact I picked up the Toy Story Blu today- it looks amazing and saw the Steve Jobs producer credit. Great pics of Steve from back in 1994-95 on its special features as well. Ironic that it won't play on any Apple device nor can I connect my Blu-ray to the HD iMac monitor. Blu-ray is hardly doing anything wrong .

Yours and Woohoo's posts continue to border on surreal.

What is it with you guys?

Your post has nothing to do with the article - and an old English teacher of mine would describe them as 'ex nihilo' - 'out of nothing, comes nothing'

OTH Woohoo posts are virtually a tortuous version of yours.

I've read hundreds of replys to both of you this year and many people have no idea what you guys are here for?

Any chance of an explanation from either of you, please?
May the Blue Bird of Happiness leave a deposit with you and yours.
Reply
May the Blue Bird of Happiness leave a deposit with you and yours.
Reply
post #51 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Who the hell said anything about Blu Ray? You mentioned some nonsense about the iPad's internet abilities as they are related to Flash. OBVIOUSLY this means intenet content.

Didn't you say "if your content doesn't play well with Apple devices you're doing it wrong."
I simply responded accordingly. Now it sounds like you didn't mean what you said. Maybe you shouldn't make such generic statements??
post #52 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Ouch. 37% will drop the iPod to transition to the iPad, though kind of expected since the two are so similar.

How many companies would kill to have customers transition to one of their products instead of a competitors, as Apple routinely does?
post #53 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

Scratch my head?
Blu-ray doesn't play well with Apple and it's doing amazing.

What evidence do you have that Blu-ray is "doing amazing"? Other than anecdotal. A link?

Despite a large increase in the number of Blu-ray discs sold, it hasn't been able to replace the number of non-Blu-ray discs not being sold. Thus, pricing of Blu-ray discs have dropped a lot faster than expected. The DVD market, including Blu-ray, in both units and revenue, is still shrinking.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #54 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

How many companies would kill to have customers transition to one of their products instead of a competitors, as Apple routinely does?

... especially to another product that costs two or three times as much.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #55 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

Didn't you say "if your content doesn't play well with Apple devices you're doing it wrong."
I simply responded accordingly. Now it sounds like you didn't mean what you said. Maybe you shouldn't make such generic statements??

Notice that only YOU seem to be confused. Mostly because owing to your trolling (a distraction even to you) you aren't able to follow the conversation.
post #56 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

What evidence do you have that Blu-ray is "doing amazing"? Other than anecdotal. A link?

Despite a large increase in the number of Blu-ray discs sold, it hasn't been able to replace the number of non-Blu-ray discs not being sold. Thus, pricing of Blu-ray discs have dropped a lot faster than expected. The DVD market, including Blu-ray, in both units and revenue, is still shrinking.

He's constantly ignoring the evidence that Blu-ray is a very small fraction of optical media spending with most people still content to use DVD despite Blu-ray "doing amazing".

He's also ignoring the fact that digital streaming still beings in more revenue than Blu-ray ever has while claiming how unused the medium is. And that's for paid services, ignoring the free video sites that are widely popular, illegal downloads and likely Netflix streaming.

Blu-ray is an "amazing" experience for the right content and right home theater setup, but he fails to see how that instantly means it's the "best" for every consumer for every situation and fails to understand that convenience and "good enough" usually wins out in the end, which is why DVD is still on top.

Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #57 of 58
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #58 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

I will play 'Bloons'

Seriously, only 50% plan to browse the web? I think the survey is flawed. Surely over 90% of iPad owners will use the device's web browser.

I agree, I doubt there are many people who won't use the web on the iPad. Other than the apps, the internet is the biggest factor in my decision to buy one. Or maybe that's just me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › A third of Apple iPad buyers plan to read books, newspapers