or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › No. 1 planned use for Apple iPad: working on the go

No. 1 planned use for Apple iPad: working on the go

post #1 of 164
A new survey of wireless device users has found that the top intended use for Apple's forthcoming iPad is getting work done while on the road, suggesting the multimedia device could serve as a netbook replacement for many consumers.

The new study released this week from Sybase and conducted by Zogby International surveyed 2,443 adults with a mobile phone, 770 of which own smartphones. Among the smartphone-owning respondents, more than half -- 52.3 percent -- said they are most likely to use a tablet device like the iPad to do work. Another three-quarters of smartphone users said they believe devices like the iPad will make them more productive at work.

Beyond work, 48.2 percent of smartphone users believe they will use their iPad for watching movies, TV shows and other videos. Playing games was the third most popular activity among smartphone respondents, taking 35.4 percent.

"The study shows that consumers are looking for devices they can use both at home and work, with implications for the business being asked to support them," Sybase wrote in its analysis. "Further, findings show that while device functionality is important to satisfying people's desire for a personal and work-ready mobile experience that the experience is incomplete without greater access to data."

Specifically, the poll found that users feel they have limited access to both their personal and work data. Two-thirds of respondents who have data on their mobile devices said that they have access to less than 10 percent of both their personal and work data, as well as applications.

Those surveyed hope for a more connected future where they can access their data from anywhere, as 67.6 percent said they would be more productive if they could access twice the amount of information and applications they do today.

Apple has targeted business users as potential iPad customers, adding features designed to make the device attractive to the enterprise market. The iPad will sync documents with iTunes and will also access cloud, Web and local file shares.

Multi-touch versions of applications in Apple's iWork suite will also be available for the iPad, with new iterations of Numbers, Pages and Keynote set to cost $9.99 each on the App Store. The mobile version of Pages will also be compatible with Microsoft Word, allowing users to open and save files in the standard business document format.

As for cloud-based storage, an alleged e-mail response from Apple co-founder Steve Jobs said that the iPad will support the accessing of documents through iWork.com and iDisk.
post #2 of 164
A native Microsoft Office (and specially PowerPoint) for the iPad is a must. As is a USB port for the remote control and to share files. Hopefully in the near future. Meanwhile waiting...
post #3 of 164
So much for the "but it's not a 'serious' machine" bleating.

No, it won't run FCP (yet), but you can sure as hell whip up a nice Keynote presentation, etc.
post #4 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

So much- nothing. The thing hasn't even been released yet - remember?
But so far it's gaming/entertainment value far outways it's seriousness value. Exactly like the iPhone- popular with consumers yet scoffed at by business.
post #5 of 164
It's going to be great being able to not only access but create password protected documents using my iDisk.

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

post #6 of 164
Quote:

No, it won't run FCP (yet), but you can sure as hell whip up a nice Keynote presentation, etc.

But it's not even out yet. These numbers are from people imagining what they'll do with it which doesn't debunk the "but it's not a serious machine" argument, but only shows that people will squeeze whatever "work on the go" functionality they can out of it.

In my field of work, this thing definitely isn't powerful or robust enough to get what I need done, but for a doctor for instance, being able to walk into a room and pull up a patient's chart for easy navigation and then connect to the web to confirm symptoms is a cool idea.
post #7 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

So much- nothing. The thing hasn't even been released yet - remember?
But so far it's gaming/entertainment value far outways it's seriousness value. Exactly like the iPhone- popular with consumers yet scoffed at by business.

While enterprise penetration isn't what it could be, the iPhone is certainly not scoffed at by businesses.

As for the iPad, I suspect I will use it to replace my personal laptop I have to bring on business trips because my company won't let me do anything personal on my work laptop. I just wish it has a user-facing camera for chatting with the kids-- other than that it's perfect for that use.
post #8 of 164
Quote:

yet scoffed at by business.

That's quite a generalized, untrue statement.
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
post #9 of 164
Quote:

...so far it's gaming/entertainment value....

It's its Tech, ITS and not IT'S. Got that?
post #10 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

A native Microsoft Office (and specially PowerPoint) for the iPad is a must. As is a USB port for the remote control and to share files. Hopefully in the near future. Meanwhile waiting...

Don't hold your breath.

Microsoft would have to rewrite the entire application from scratch for a brand-new processor architecture (ARM) and using Apple's iPad SDK. My guess is that the iPad has 512MB of RAM (twice the memory of the current iPhone and iPod touch), so Microsoft would have to work very hard to get the application to run well with limited resources.
post #11 of 164
Quote:

Exactly like the iPhone- popular with consumers yet scoffed at by business.

My iPhone is my business lifeline, and a very robust and reliable one. With it, I not only field all business calls and manage emails with clients, but I also schedule their appointments and email confirmations to them. The Netter's anatomy apps I have are invaluable resources that assist me in treating and educating my clients. I even take credit card payments from clients (from anywhere for less money than having a dedicated credit card terminal) and send them a copy of their signed receipts right from my iPhone.

The iPad, with the mobile iWork apps, will (hopefully) enable me to do all of that and access, edit and even create password-protected client files and save them to my iDisk so I can access them from anywhere too.

The iPhone and iPad may not be a valuable business solution for all people, they are (or promise to be) for me, and others I'm sure.

post #12 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Don't hold your breath.

Microsoft would have to rewrite the entire application from scratch for a brand-new processor architecture (ARM) and using Apple's iPad SDK. My guess is that the iPad has 512MB of RAM (twice the memory of the current iPhone and iPod touch), so Microsoft would have to work very hard to get the application to run well with limited resources.

I would use caution saying what's "limited" resources. The iPad obviously has enough horsepower for very graphic-heavy applications (games, photo/video editing, etc.) and iWork, so far, looks like it works brilliantly with no hiccups. Just because Microsoft cannot write one line of efficient code doesn't mean the iPad can't handle advanced applications.
post #13 of 164
We are a Mac using sales company, and I see this being a replacement to laptops, and allowing us to spend money on more horsepower at the desktop, and giving the sales people the iPad to use on the road.

Yes, watching movies on a plane will be great, but having 3G access and keynote, pages, and numbers will allow our company to operate much more efficiently in the long run.
post #14 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

I would use caution saying what's "limited" resources. The iPad obviously has enough horsepower for very graphic-heavy applications (games, photo/video editing, etc.) and iWork, so far, looks like it works brilliantly with no hiccups. Just because Microsoft cannot write one line of efficient code doesn't mean the iPad can't handle advanced applications.

Well, the resources are limited.

My main point is that some developers can handle the limitations and some can't. Trust me, I know, I own an iPod touch. I've deleted my share of poorly performing apps.
post #15 of 164
Many of us are not imagining what we will do with an iPad; we know, based on our experience with iPhones and our ability to think, what we will do with it. My son is implementing a plan to use iPads and iPod Touches to convert the company he works for from a largely paper process to total electronic tracking and record keeping. The company is the largest in their field in the world. So much for business scoffing. You naysayers need to get out more.
post #16 of 164
Quote:

Unfortunately I don't think MS Office will ever find its way into iPhone OS.
We'll just have to work with iWork, and by the looks of it I think that'd be enough for me.
And I hope I'm not alone when I say that "keynote is so much better than PPT".

As for a remote, I'd suppose using an iPod Touch or iPhone would be the likeliest solution.
On the other hand, you might as well just carry the iPad itself around, seeing how it's so light.

I don't think Apple would ever allow true USB file sharing on the iPad. The entire underlying concept of the iP OS avoids the folder hierarchy analogy, after all. Perhaps email and iDisk storage would be the solution.

Anyways, I'm really excited about this product and I look forward to seeing how it can change the way I do business (including presentations)
post #17 of 164
The choices given in the survey show that they're thinking of it in terms of the things people currently do with mobile devices. I don't see myself using an iPad much for serious work but for all those situations round the home and elsewhere where you might want to look something up or keep yourself occupied:

- following a recipe in the kitchen
- looking up a film on IMDB
- reading a blog or ebook in bed
- playing Sudoku on the train
- watching a movie on a plane
- browsing Facebook while curled up on the sofa
- letting friends check their email when they come to visit
- keeping kids occupied in the back of the car
etc.

For real work, I'll continue to use my laptop.
post #18 of 164
Interesting. That’s my #2 (inccluding using it for meeting notes and giving presentations), but I’d have thought most people would share my #1: surfing and gaming around the house with more convenience than a laptop. (Which I already love about my iPhone... except for the small screen.)

But as rhowarth says, this survey may not capture that well.
post #19 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznZOFIA111 View Post

Unfortunately I don't think MS Office will ever find its way into iPhone OS.
We'll just have to work with iWork, and by the looks of it I think that'd be enough for me.
And I hope I'm not alone when I say that "keynote is so much better than PPT.

Agreed about the value of iWork, but Office might come too:

http://gizmodo.com/5469856/microsoft...ere-looking-at
post #20 of 164
The comment about Pages on the iPad being able to export to Word is really the only thing that I am a bit concerned about. Keynote and Numbers do not export to Microsoft Office formats, and while that may be okay with Keynote, Numbers to Excel is really pretty necessary for a lot of users. I was going to be purchasing a MacBook Pro 15" (my first Mac) for college this next year as my current Dell is too underpowered for current needs, and showing its age. Now, however, I pre-ordered an iPad and am planning on using it for all my student needs. It is less than half the cost of my 15" Pro I would've bought, and that is including Apple Case, Keyboard Dock, and iWork. It looks suitable for all my needs except possibly collaboration on worksheets in Excel (something I have never used during my first year of college, but have heard will be necessary in future classes). I'd like to see iPad printing as well, but it is not necessary (use iDisk and print from University's computer lab), and there are apps for that if it is really necessary.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #21 of 164
I am excited about the iPad because I see it as my major mobile access point when away from my desk. The more productivity apps available the better. If fact if it can ever be disconnected from desktop versions of iTunes that would be great. I would be more than happy to do all my daily computing using the iPad. Obviously, if you are a developer or a content creator this is inadequate. But then when you consider what most people do with computers, the iPad's feature set and price point are just right. Mine will be coming April 3rd ... cant wait.
post #22 of 164
Quote:

...yet scoffed at by business.

And by what (another) fabricated theory has led you to believe that the iPhone is "scoffed" by businesses? Our own company uses them, and it works quite well with our exchange server. I know dozens of people in other shops that use it as their primary business phone with no issues.

At least make an effort to make your rants genuine instead of once-again spewing this nonsense.
post #23 of 164
post #24 of 164
Quote:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/business/profiles/

Of course, Techstud will simply refuse to accept this article due to it being provided by the Apple-overlord.

With the iPad using the touch OS, having access to the exchange server will be serious plus for most people, including the BUSINESS sector. I wonder how the iPad handles remote-wipe in case one loses their iPad, or more likely gets stolen?
post #25 of 164
Quote:

Exactly like the iPhone- popular with consumers yet scoffed at by business.

All of the businesses I work with are already using iPhones or are in the process of moving to iPhones.

I'm not sure which rock you've been living under for the past 2 years.
post #26 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

In my field of work, this thing definitely isn't powerful or robust enough to get what I need done, but for a doctor for instance, being able to walk into a room and pull up a patient's chart for easy navigation and then connect to the web to confirm symptoms is a cool idea.

As a hospital IT user. Getting doctors to use technology is like getting 5 year olds to eat their peas.
post #27 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatdoro View Post

All of the businesses I work with are already using iPhones or are in the process of moving to iPhones.

I'm not sure which rock you've been living under for the past 2 years.

Bridge. Trolls live under bridges.
post #28 of 164
Quote:

I hope MS Office never comes to the iPad. Nor do I think it is even FEASIBLE on the iPad.

I have used MS Office (PC) since... well before there was an 'office'. I hate Office 2007 with a passion. I have recently swtich my home PC to an iMac and intend to never install MS Office.

If iWorks can't meet my needs, I will go back to OpenOffice.

The iPad is not for heavy duty content creation. KeyNote, Numbers and Pages should be sufficient.
post #29 of 164
Quote:

Even if Office is hacked into an iPad version I won't buy it.
I'm a moderate power user of both Excel and Word and have 100% switched to iWork at home. Gone from my machine. If I use the iPad at work, it will start with Keynote for presentations (vastly superior to POC Powerpoint, and my expectation is that I'll be able to do 90% of the Excel/Word work in Numbers/Pages, saved out as .doc and .xls when necessary.

'USB port for the remote control'... not sure what that means. I use wireless for all file transfers anyways.
post #30 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

But it's not even out yet. These numbers are from people imagining what they'll do with it which doesn't debunk the "but it's not a serious machine" argument, but only shows that people will squeeze whatever "work on the go" functionality they can out of it.

I think you're half-way there. People are imagining what they'd like to do with an iPad so that they can justify its purchase.

What people actually do might [not] be surprising. I'm surprised how much I use my iPod touch to check email and surf, so I'm sure there will be a little extra work squeezed in, but I'll still bet most people are just selling themselves on the next k3wl thing.
post #31 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

The comment about Pages on the iPad being able to export to Word is really the only thing that I am a bit concerned about. Keynote and Numbers do not export to Microsoft Office formats,

Um. I useNumbers with Excel formats all the time. I write my presentation in Keynote and export to PowerPoint....

I think you may be confused. Do you mean the Keynote and numbers ON iPad do not? If so, how do you know?
post #32 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

It's its Tech, ITS and not IT'S. Got that?

He can't even make an accurate logical association that studies have shown are possible in other primates so I think getting him to understand the nuisances of proper grammar is a lost cause.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #33 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCad View Post

Many of us are not imagining what we will do with an iPad; we know, based on our experience with iPhones and our ability to think, what we will do with it. My son is implementing a plan to use iPads and iPod Touches to convert the company he works for from a largely paper process to total electronic tracking and record keeping. The company is the largest in their field in the world. So much for business scoffing. You naysayers need to get out more.

Its easy to yell 'FAIL' from your parents' basement.
post #34 of 164
To TekStud, TechStud or whatever pseudonym you feel necessary to post under.

You got banned for a reason. Quite hiding under different names so you can spew your garbage here. You are a troll, an idiot, and a complete waste of space.
post #35 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Don't hold your breath.

you mean like this?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...ce-mobile.mspx

I think the MacBU can handle that port from WinMo to iPad.
post #36 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

you mean like this?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...ce-mobile.mspx

I think the MacBU can handle that port from WinMo to iPad.

I doubt there will be much of a market on the iPad for a port of Office Mobile. While it is technically feasible, the product is... limited...[best I could do in searching for non-prejudicial adjectives.]
post #37 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by reliason View Post

Um. I useNumbers with Excel formats all the time. I write my presentation in Keynote and export to PowerPoint....

I think you may be confused. Do you mean the Keynote and numbers ON iPad do not? If so, how do you know?

I think he means the versions on the iPad. Importing seems to be there, but not exporting.

Numbers on iPad

Quote:
Numbers on iPad lets you open spreadsheets created using iWork or Microsoft Office. So if someone emails you a Numbers or Excel file, you can easily import it into Numbers for iPad. To share your work, export your spreadsheet as a Numbers file for Mac or PDF document, then email it to anyone. You can also upload it to iWork.com public beta so anyone on a Mac or PC can view your spreadsheet.

Keynote on iPad

Quote:
With Keynote on iPad, you can import Microsoft PowerPoint files and Keynote presentations. The presentations you create in Keynote on your iPad can be exported as Keynote files for Mac or PDF documents, so you can attach them to an email. You can also upload your presentation to iWork.com public beta. So anyone can see your slides, whether they use a Mac or a PC.
post #38 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by reliason View Post

I doubt there will be much of a market on the iPad for a port of Office Mobile. While it is technically feasible, the product is... limited...[best I could do in searching for non-prejudicial adjectives.]

Other than Entourage (epic fail for me..glad we're getting real outlook) the MacBU has done pretty well. Perhaps they can even fix up Office Mobile to not suck so much on the iPad.
post #39 of 164
An iPad as a thin client isn't a good idea. Business users prefer a poweful laptop to create spreadsheets, word documents and presentation. When on the go, they prefer to carry laptop bags with power bricks so they let the people around them know that "Hey this is my spot. Don't let me catch you unplug or I'll trip you with my cord!"

Business users with their laptop look more professional. But the iPad doesn't even have a lot holes around it and makes it look like a virgin or a child's toy. How are you going to put a kensington lock on the iPad? Also, the laptop is much easier to spot than the iPad.

The iPad is so thin it can be misplaced under a pile of documents, in binders and folders, under a book, under a mat, under a laptop, etc. The extra thickness of a laptop makes it easier to be seen. Also, a laptop doubles as a warmer, it can be put on the seat while driving as it runs flash in the background.

With the iPad's energy efficient design, I doubt it would give a lot of heat like laptops do plus it might break if you sit on it.

In conclusion, laptops are still better.
post #40 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I think he means the versions on the iPad. Importing seems to be there, but not exporting.

Numbers on iPad

Keynote on iPad

That being the case, he has a point. I hope that someone comes out with an open office app for iPad ;-)
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › No. 1 planned use for Apple iPad: working on the go