or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Miscellaneous News.

Miscellaneous News.

post #1 of 2696
This is a thread were you can post and discuss any news you find interesting but don't want to start a new thread and there isn't already one that you think is applicable.

Here's positive news about a breakthrough on nuclear weapons with Russia-

"WASHINGTON — President Obama and his Russian counterpart, President Dmitri A. Medvedev, have broken through a logjam in their arms control negotiations and expect to sign a new treaty in Prague next month that would slash American and Russian nuclear arsenals, officials from both nations said Wednesday.

Mr. Obama and Mr. Medvedev still need to talk once more to finalize the agreement, but officials were optimistic that the deal was nearly done.

The two sides have discussed a signing ceremony in Prague in early April, marking the anniversary of the first meeting between the two presidents and of Mr. Obama’s speech outlining his vision for eventually eliminating nuclear weapons.

The new pact would replace the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty of 1991, which expired in December, and would require both sides to reduce their warheads and launchers by more than one-quarter. The agreement is the most significant accomplishment so far for Mr. Obama’s policy of trying to “reset” relations with Russia. It is intended to pave the way for another more far-reaching round of reductions later in his term."
~ http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/wo...5start.html?hp
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #2 of 2696
I'll add one.

Did GW wipe his hand on Bill Clinton's shirt after he shook hands with people in Haiti?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_511188.html

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #3 of 2696
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #4 of 2696
Judge on Prom

I found this one interesting because he ruled against the dress code requirement but wouldn't rule against the district to hold the prom. I think the dress code ramifications aren't well thought out though.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #5 of 2696
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Judge on Prom

I found this one interesting because he ruled against the dress code requirement but wouldn't rule against the district to hold the prom. I think the dress code ramifications aren't well thought out though.

That story had 60,000 comments!

I'm not sure why you think the judge would rule against holding the prom if by holding the prom the district had to allow the female wearing the tuxedo.
post #6 of 2696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I'll add one.

Did GW wipe his hand on Bill Clinton's shirt after he shook hands with people in Haiti?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_511188.html

LOL. Bizarre. It almost seems to suggest that Bush and Clinton have a closer relationship/friendship than is publicly known if he feels like he can do that. Weird anyway though, especially in front of cameras.
post #7 of 2696
Quote:

I had no idea it's been/is on such a large scale. Horrific.
post #8 of 2696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

That story had 60,000 comments!

I'm not sure why you think the judge would rule against holding the prom if by holding the prom the district had to allow the female wearing the tuxedo.

I said rule against the district to HOLD the prom. The district cancelled the prom. The plaintiff was seeking an injunction to compel them to continue to hold the prom. The judge ruled against the dress requirement but did not declare that the district had to hold the prom. The decision amounts to, you can wear a tux, but there won't be a prom to which to wear it. There is talk of a private prom, but no guarantees by the court.

post #9 of 2696
Quote:

I said rule against the district to HOLD the prom. The district cancelled the prom. The plaintiff was seeking an injunction to compel them to continue to hold the prom. The judge ruled against the dress requirement but did not declare that the district had to hold the prom. The decision amounts to, you can wear a tux, but there won't be a prom to which to wear it. There is talk of a private prom, but no guarantees by the court.

I know, but it's one thing for the judge to say the district couldn't stop her from wearing the tuxedo it's another thing entirely to say that they can't not hold the prom. I see your point that that cancels out the benefits to the female, but I don't find it surprising that that's how the judge ruled.
post #10 of 2696
The Pope has now been implicated in a cover-up case from Wisconsin.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/wo...25vatican.html

post #11 of 2696
Quote:

The Pope has now been implicated in a cover-up case from Wisconsin.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/wo...25vatican.html

You know this is a real disgrace. The way the Church is handling this is almost as bad as the abuse.

Example 1: Basically a priest - one of hundreds - molested a load of children and was called on it. The letters were sent to the relevant office where they disappeared. More letters sent and again - poof! Into a black hole.

No action taken. No authorities involved and the priest free to offend again.

Example 2: Same Office. A pervert priest (a different one) was caught and this Office sent him for psychiatric treatment. That's it. No authorities...nothing else...priest back on duty with kids.

Now the thing is that the head of this Office was RATZINGER when he was a Cardinal.

So he was the responsible.

BUT the Vatican is saying that everyone mentioning this is part of a Conspiracy to blacken the name of the Pope.

Is that or is that not sick?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8588294.stm
post #12 of 2696
"President Obama finalized a new arms control treaty with Russia on Friday that will pare back the still-formidable cold war nuclear arsenals of each country. The agreement brings to fruition one of the presidents signature foreign policy objectives, just days after he signed into law the most expansive domestic program in decades.

Disarmament is only part of the agenda. Mr. Obama will be host to the leaders of as many as 45 countries in Washington on April 12, four days after the treaty signing in Prague, to discuss how to prevent nuclear material from falling into the wrong hands. No president has ever before gathered more than 40 heads of state for a stand-alone summit meeting, according to the White House."
~ http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/27/wo...ed=1&ref=world

This line I thought amusing-

President Obama has said that he will send Rahm Emanuel to Moscow to help out, she said, laughing, referring to Mr. Obamas bulldog chief of staff. We all endorsed that offer.
~ Hillary Clinton
post #13 of 2696
Very cute and congrats to President Obama on the treaty!

post #14 of 2696
Quote:

Very cute and congrats to President Obama on the treaty!

?

Someone explain this comment.
post #15 of 2696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

?

Someone explain this comment.

Seems clear to me...
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #16 of 2696
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Seems clear to me...

trumptman had just posted this pic before making that comment-
post #17 of 2696
Quote:

Seems clear to me...

Uh-oh.....We need someone to explain that now...

This could go on and on...
post #18 of 2696
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Uh-oh.....We need someone to explain that now...

This could go on and on...

It could if you wanted to be be purposely dense. And you do, so...
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #19 of 2696
Quote:

Uhh.....
post #20 of 2696
Quote:

trumptman had just posted this pic before making that comment-
[IMG]

Saw the pic, another thread on a separate topic about a totally different issue. Obviously the Pic represents a singular action as the date is clearly stamped on the side what it is referring to. One is (or should be) capable of disagreeing with one policy while congratulating a person for a totally separate issue. You guys practically scream for it all the time. What is the real problem here? That he congratulated Obama for the treaty he got signed, or that he thought the quote you posted was "very cute" (another way of saying funny)?
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #21 of 2696
Bingo!

post #22 of 2696
Quote:

Bingo!

If you hadn't used an exclamation mark in your original comment then you might even have been able to backtrack with a tiny bit of credibility.

trumptman- "Very cute and congrats to President Obama on the treaty!"
post #23 of 2696
I thought the Hillary anecdote was pretty cute. On the other hand I guess being excited about the good job on the arms treaty just isn't acceptable behavior.

I'll make sure to refrain from being excited about any good works by President Obama in the future.

post #24 of 2696
Quote:

I thought the Hillary anecdote was pretty cute. On the other hand I guess being excited about the good job on the arms treaty just isn't acceptable behavior.

I'll make sure to refrain from being excited about any good works by President Obama in the future.

It was your punctuation! Damn it!!!

This thread just became an episode of Seinfeld!

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #25 of 2696
Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #26 of 2696
Before this thread also gets derailed...

In other news:

Sara and McCain have reunited. She added an exclamation in to the phrase, Party of (word added here) No. Pretty much sums them up, and the phrase is now hers, not one given by the Dems or the media.

Great line for the Dems: Do you really want to vote for the Party of #!$# No™?

McCain said he would not work with Dems for the rest of the year, essentially refusing to do his job... does that mean he will not ask to be paid? Right now, he is wasting tax-payer dollars... not very fiscally conservative of him. Or he could take a cue form Sara a quit... And to think this guy wanted to be president.

post #27 of 2696
Yadda, yadda, yadda...

post #28 of 2696
Quote:

If you hadn't used an exclamation mark in your original comment then you might even have been able to backtrack with a tiny bit of credibility.

trumptman- "Very cute and congrats to President Obama on the treaty!"

Seriously??? Over punctuation?
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #29 of 2696
Quote:

Before this thread also gets derailed...

What do you mean derailed? This thread is about whatever people wish to post that does not fit in another thread. How do you derail "whatever"?
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #30 of 2696
Quote:

McCain said he would not work with Dems for the rest of the year, essentially refusing to do his job...

Properly understood, I believe his job is to both uphold the constitution of the United States and to represent the state of Arizona.

post #31 of 2696
Quote:

I can think of no one on this board as consistently and aggressively hostile to Barack Obama as trumptman. Have you seriously not noticed this consistent and very aggressive hostility? There is an example of it posted above.

So to see him actually praise Barack Obama is surprising.

I would have thought that this was obvious to everyone who visits these boards. I don't understand why you're pretending that this praise is in character or is not unusual.
post #32 of 2696
The GOP will not sign a Dem "civility" statement.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0310/35096.html

post #33 of 2696
Quote:

I can think of no one on this board as consistently and aggressively hostile to Barack Obama as trumptman. Have you seriously not noticed this consistent and very aggressive hostility? There is an example of it posted above.

So to see him actually praise Barack Obama is surprising.

I would have thought that this was obvious to everyone who visits these boards. I don't understand why you're pretending that this praise is in character or is not unusual.

Two points...

One, the man is governing and doing so in a damaging and ineffective way. That needs to be called out. However I do give praise when deserved. There was a thread here about his helping nuclear power along and I praised him there as well. I can't praise him on foreign affairs because, contrary to how people keep wanting to portray me, I'm not a neocon. I wasn't happy with Pax Americana no matter the person pushing it. I have a big problem with people pushing politics in the middle of bullets flying. Thus if someone in Congress votes to send someone to Iraq and then later decides they don't want to fund what is necessary while they are there, they will have my ire. Bring them home or don't but don't debate armored humvees or bullet proof vests and better helmets while they are there. However outside of that I don't like Pax Americana and want it to end.

People claimed Obama would be different in that regard and I noted from other statements that he wouldn't be at all. I said it early and often and I've been proven correct.

Two, lots of folks have had issues with Obama especially since he is still pushing forward and advancing the same foreign policy as Bush. Obama's is a more naive and dangerous version of the same foreign policy. In Obama's time North Korea and Iran may not be part of the Axis of Evil but they are going above energy generation grade uranium refinement and they are sinking ships while having the bomb. People should have problems with needing 300% more money to fix the claimed Bush problems then the Bush spending itself. There are plenty even on here who were Obama supporters who have uttered Obama has to go or f*ck Obama due to various policies he has implemented.

So really it is clear that the man is doing about 98% of what I don't want and 2% of what I do. It shouldn't be surprising that my comments reflect that point. Next, where is that insane, ridiculous double-standard coming from? Are we to believe the board as all flowers and positivity with regard to Bush and the Republican Congress from our leftist members when they held control? Please... don't make me laugh. It was absurd. We had threads about how McCain and Cheney are violent and unstable because they..... use curse words. It was insanely petty and silly. So as Joe Biden might say when Bush and Repubs were in power everything they said and did, it was a big f*cking deal.

Finally, call me crazy, but who's fault is it that there isn't more positive Obama news on here? Is it my job to post such items? No it is yours and so please do. When I agree with them, you'll see the appropriate response but it isn't my jobs to advocate for Obama. If you are his supporter it is your job to get his good news out there. No one is stopping you. If you want more positive news about him then post more such items. Start a thread on it if you wish even.

Now on to some miscellaneous and interesting news. Turns out the most anti-government folks in France might be......prostitutes.

Much like our own debate with health care, they don't want comprehensive reform and availability of brothels, just for solicitation to be made legal.

Quote:
An MP in France's governing party has proposed reopening brothels, just over six decades after they were banned, in order to move prostitutes off the streets and provide them with medical, financial and legal protection.

The protesters say the proposal limits their options to make their own decisions - and are demanding, instead, a repeal of a 2003 law that outlaws solicitation.

Who knew that French prostitutes and American Tea Party Members had so much in common? Go French Prostitutes!

post #34 of 2696
Quote:

Who knew that French prostitutes and American Tea Party Members had so much in common? Go French Prostitutes!

Well...I didn't...and nor do you.

Turns out they have nothing in common. The French government is extreme-right wing to the extent that even you might almost approve (they are almost quasi-Nazi in fact) and the prostitutes...well...as far as I am aware they are not violently attacking anyone are they?

They are merely peacefully opposing right-wing extremism.

But I guess you don't get that...
post #35 of 2696
China issues full report on United States human rights abuses.

Now a lot of this is bullshit, from a pro-China perspective (like the Taiwan issue) but a lot of it has serious truth to it, like the danger of gun violence compared to other nations.

And before you say oh my god how hypocritical, it's pretty hypocritical for the US to be making certain points about China as well. Let's leave that responsibility to the UN, shall we?

Of course I do know that the US is a far better place than China in terms of human rights, but there is very little introspection being done by both nations, and this is something that should change, in both nations.
post #36 of 2696
Quote:

Two points...

One, the man is governing and doing so in a damaging and ineffective way.

Apart from the fact that your economy is growing, joblessness is falling, the stock exchange is rising, he's regained the respect of the world community, he's being robust in pursuit of peace in Israel/Palestine, he's just agreed terms of a nuclear arms reduction treaty and he's building nuclear reactors, yes.

You are unequivocally, aggressively and consistently hostile to your president to the point where if you offer praise it's truly worthy of remark.

And this is what change looks like, by the way.

post #37 of 2696
In other news, health care reform has unfortunately drowned out the amazing news about the shift in American attitudes toward Isreali settlements. Finally an administration with the balls to stand up to those fuckers. This is one thing that I absolutely support within the Obama administration, and go Joe and Hillary!
post #38 of 2696
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Well...I didn't...and nor do you.

Turns out they have nothing in common. The French government is extreme-right wing to the extent that even you might almost approve (they are almost quasi-Nazi in fact) and the prostitutes...well...as far as I am aware they are not violently attacking anyone are they?

They are merely peacefully opposing right-wing extremism.

But I guess you don't get that...

Since pretty much everyone is extreme right wing to you Seg, why don't you do us a favor and list some actual left wing governments and their leaders here for this thread and some nice news about them as well. As much as I enjoy you citing yourself as a continual authority on everything everywhere, the OP did ask for some nice links.

post #39 of 2696
Quote:

Apart from the fact that your economy is growing, joblessness is falling, the stock exchange is rising, he's regained the respect of the world community, he's being robust in pursuit of peace in Israel/Palestine, he's just agreed terms of a nuclear arms reduction treaty and he's building nuclear reactors,

And he just signed a health care bill that was very in-line with the GOP's position of just a couple of years ago, but they want to oppose it for the sake of opposing it.

post #40 of 2696
Quote:

And this is what change looks like, by the way.

The guy on the left is using an iPhone. That is real change.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Miscellaneous News.