or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Miscellaneous News.

Miscellaneous News. - Page 28

post #1081 of 2691
IT'S HERE FOLKS...again.

"Thousands of people around the country have spent the last few days taking to the streets and saying final goodbyes before Saturday, Judgment Day, when they expect to be absorbed into heaven in a process known as the rapture. Nonbelievers, they hold, will be left behind to perish along with the world over the next five months.

Ms. Douglas and other believers subscribe to the prophesy of Harold Camping, a civil engineer turned self-taught biblical scholar whose doomsday scenario — broadcast on his Family Radio network — predicts a May 21, 2011, Judgment Day. On that day, arrived at through a series of Bible-based calculations that assume the world will end exactly 7,000 years after Noah’s flood, believers are to be transported up to heaven as a worldwide earthquake strikes. Nonbelievers will endure five months of plagues, quakes, wars, famine and general torment before the planet’s total destruction in October. In 1992 Mr. Camping said the rapture would probably be in 1994, but he now says newer evidence makes the prophesy for this year certain.

Kevin Brown, a Family Radio representative, said conflict with other family members was part of the test of whether a person truly believed. “They’re going through the fiery trial each day,” he said.

Gary Daniels, 27, said he planned to spend Saturday like other believers, “glued to our TV sets, waiting for the Resurrection and earthquake from nation to nation.” But he acknowledged that his family was not entirely behind him.

“At first there was a bit of anger and tension, not really listening to one another and just shouting out ideas,” Mr. Daniels said."

But his family has come around to respect — if not endorse — his views, and he drove from his home in Newark, Del., on Monday night in a van covered in Judgment Day messages to say goodbye to relatives in Brooklyn. “I know I’m not going to see them again, but they are very certain they are going to see me, and that’s where I feel so sad,” he said. “I weep to know that they don’t have any idea that this overwhelming thing is coming right at them, pummeling toward them like a meteor."
~ http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/20/us...e.html?_r=1&hp
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #1082 of 2691
Israel tells Obama to shut the fuck up and remember his place in the relationship.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #1083 of 2691
It's 11:01pm and I'm still here. Sucks! It was meant to start at 6pm. Anyone been raptured yet? What's it like? Got friends who suddenly vanished?

EDIT EDIT EDIT....it's tomorrow! Thank God for that.
post #1084 of 2691

And knowing Obama, he will, just like every other US President before him. Trust me, MJ, I'm equally as appalled.
post #1085 of 2691
Amazing photos of Mississippi homes - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...9.html#s281171
post #1086 of 2691

post #1087 of 2691
Yep, pretty sick stuff. Of course, a privatized police force would never do anything like that.
post #1088 of 2691
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Yep, pretty sick stuff. Of course, a privatized police force would never do anything like that.

If it was private people doing it we'd call it what it was...robbery. We wouldn't call them a police force but instead we'd call them a gang of thieves. But when the government does it we don't.

That's the point.

There are a wide array of things that if done by private individuals or groups we would clearly call out the immorality of it. But we have people, like yourself, who give government a pass when they do things that would be wrong or immoral if anyone else did it simply because it's the government. We also have individuals, including yourself, who advocate giving the government even more power to do things that if done by private individuals or groups would be called wrong or immoral.

You fail to recognize your inconsistency on this.

P.S. What's even worse in this particular example is that you have some state-sanctioned thieves robbing people for allegedly violating a law that makes it illegal for you to sell something that the state doesn't want you to sell. After a while it starts looking like the state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #1089 of 2691
Well I'm with you on drug policy. But the rest...?

Apparently, your utopian private police force would have no authority. Then why have any laws at all? If pulling people over and confiscating property based on drug law (misguided as it may be) would be pointed out by the pulic as robbery, then what about pulling people over for speeding or reckless driving and imposing a fine?
post #1090 of 2691
Quote:

Apparently, your utopian private police force would have no authority.

You're the one that mentioned a private police force, and you're the one who appears to imagine it would be doing the same things as government police forces do today. One specific thing I would expect is that there wouldn't be any drug prohibition so there wouldn't be a need to enforce any such "laws." Furthermore, I would expect that there might not be a general, all-encompassing "police force" that does what the police today do. Think about it for a minute. What are all the things the police do today. How might some of those things be handled privately? Try to think outside the box here. It's really not so hard.

Quote:

what about pulling people over for speeding or reckless driving and imposing a fine?

Well let's assume for a moment that this was all private...the roads for example. How do you think that might be handled? How would the road company deal with those sort of things.

post #1091 of 2691
US dropping from top spot fast whilst China rapidly ascends- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_...iveness_Report

US drops slightly whilst China rises significantly- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ease_of...Business_Index
post #1092 of 2691
BBC News volume level now hits a whopping 11! - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13507728
post #1093 of 2691
Ouch!

"Those keen to pinpoint exactly how an essential relationship differs from a special one will be tracking Michelle Obama's wardrobe choices closely. The President's wife has proved herself to have a talent for projecting a style which underscores and illustrates the Obama political message, whilst also showcasing her own personality. From the colour and glamour she brought to the campaign trail to the casual style she brings to appearances at her vegetable garden or with her daughters, she has proved herself adept at matching the look to the message.

Today's outfit for the palace visit will perhaps play better at home than it will in Britain: the full-skirted shape and curved collar referenced a gracious, homemade-lemonade vision of American womanhood which is perhaps what the American public want Mrs Obama to represent at Buckingham Palace. But to modern British eyes – post McQueen wedding dress, post Pippa madness – it looked somewhat stiff and upholstered.

Indeed, the contrast with the new Duchess of Cambridge was marked and surprising. The First Lady was in girlish, almost princessly sheeny florals; the new Princess, by contrast, looked a vision of modern, transatlantic glamour. The dress, the blow-dry, the deep tan: this could be Victoria Beckham at a Los Angeles luncheon. What's more, Kate's dress is currently available on the British high street, for £175, from Reiss."
~ http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog...uk-state-visit

Also from the Guardian-

Barack Obama was shown letters and artefacts charting Britain's loss of its American colonies, and joked: "That was only a temporary blip in the relationship."

The Queen and Prince Philip showed the Obamas a special exhibition of US memorabilia. Barack Obama looked at a handwritten manuscript by George III from 1783 in which the king proclaimed "America is lost", and the president was shown a photograph of HMS Resolute, timbers from which were used to make the desk in the Oval Office.

"This is my desk in the Oval Office. I think we got a pretty good deal out of that," Obama said.
post #1094 of 2691
^ That's racists!
post #1095 of 2691
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-01-...ion-video.html

Quote:
Few areas of science are more controversial than cold fusion, the hypothetical near-room-temperature reaction in which two smaller nuclei join together to form a single larger nucleus while releasing large amounts of energy. In the 1980s, Stanley Pons and Martin Fleishmann claimed to have demonstrated cold fusion - which could potentially provide the world with a cheap, clean energy source - but their experiment could not be reproduced. Since then, all other claims of cold fusion have been illegitimate, and studies have shown that cold fusion is theoretically implausible, causing mainstream science to become highly speculative of the field in general.

Despite the intense skepticism, a small community of scientists is still investigating near-room-temperature fusion reactions. The latest news occurred last week, when Italian scientists Andrea Rossi and Sergio Focardi of the University of Bologna announced that they developed a cold fusion device capable of producing 12,400 W of heat power with an input of just 400 W. Last Friday, the scientists held a private invitation press conference in Bologna, attended by about 50 people, where they demonstrated what they claim is a nickel-hydrogen fusion reactor. Further, the scientists say that the reactor is well beyond the research phase; they plan to start shipping commercial devices within the next three months and start mass production by the end of 2011.

Not sure if it is real (doubting it though), but it is definitely interesting news.

Some other Discussions around this:
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=106088

Was not sure whether to post an entire thread, opted for a interesting news blurb instead.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #1096 of 2691
^ Of course it's not real. Shipping a commercial unit? RIGHT!
post #1097 of 2691
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-01-...ion-video.html

Not sure if it is real (doubting it though), but it is definitely interesting news.

Some other Discussions around this:
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=106088

Was not sure whether to post an entire thread, opted for a interesting news blurb instead.

Some more links-

"Journalist Mats Lewan of the Swedish technology magazine Ny Teknik helped to validate experiments that appear to generate energy from a new type of nuclear process that does not emit deadly radiation or produce radioactive waste."
~ http://newenergytimes.com/v2/news/20...stigates.shtml

"After multiple successful tests of the E-Cat by third parties, and now proof of nuclear reactions, it is frustrating (but predictable) that the mainstream media is not paying hardly any attention to this technology. The E-Cat represents a way to eliminate our need for fossil fuels and an alternative to conventional nuclear power. However, Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, and many other news networks act as if nothing is happening.

Perhaps soon after the one megawatt power plant and 300,000 unit a year manufacturing plant in Xanthi, Greece opens, a factory can start up in Japan. They could sure use a source of jobs and a new source of energy to replace their destroyed conventional nuclear power industry.

The only real mystery at this point is the catalyst(s) used in the reaction. This is the key to producing practical levels of output from nickel-hydrogen fusion systems."
~ http://pesn.com/2011/04/07/9501805_R...ptics_Society/

It does seem surprising, even dubious, that they'd have so many orders. Fingers crossed it's true.
post #1098 of 2691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Some more links-

"Journalist Mats Lewan of the Swedish technology magazine Ny Teknik helped to validate experiments that appear to generate energy from a new type of nuclear process that does not emit deadly radiation or produce radioactive waste."
~ http://newenergytimes.com/v2/news/20...stigates.shtml

"After multiple successful tests of the E-Cat by third parties, and now proof of nuclear reactions, it is frustrating (but predictable) that the mainstream media is not paying hardly any attention to this technology. The E-Cat represents a way to eliminate our need for fossil fuels and an alternative to conventional nuclear power. However, Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, and many other news networks act as if nothing is happening.

Perhaps soon after the one megawatt power plant and 300,000 unit a year manufacturing plant in Xanthi, Greece opens, a factory can start up in Japan. They could sure use a source of jobs and a new source of energy to replace their destroyed conventional nuclear power industry.

The only real mystery at this point is the catalyst(s) used in the reaction. This is the key to producing practical levels of output from nickel-hydrogen fusion systems."
~ http://pesn.com/2011/04/07/9501805_R...ptics_Society/

Yeah, saw those links as well. As Scotty would say, "you canna break the laws of physics." It will be interesting to see if these units do as advertised with "generally available parts."

It does seem surprising, even dubious, that they'd have so many orders. Fingers crossed it's true.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #1099 of 2691

post #1100 of 2691

post #1101 of 2691
I'm still waiting to find out who the state will choose as the next subject of the Two Minutes Hate.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #1102 of 2691

post #1103 of 2691
Obama Crackdown on For-Profit Colleges Faces Stiff Resistance:

Quote:
A proposed regulation from the administration is aimed at what are known as career or vocational schools which train medical technicians, chefs, welders, electricians and the like. The rule would cut federal aid to programs where student debt levels are deemed to be too high and where students are struggling to repay their loans.

Now let me say clearly that I think that any taxpayer money to private for-profit organizations should end...including these. However, I find this rule particularly amusing and ironic coming from the federal government:

Quote:
The rule would cut federal aid to programs where student debt levels are deemed to be too high and where students are struggling to repay their loans.

Now that's just downright hilarious.

post #1104 of 2691

post #1105 of 2691

post #1106 of 2691
US Pentagon to treat cyber-attacks as 'acts of war':

Quote:
In future, a US president could consider economic sanctions, cyber-retaliation or a military strike if key US computer systems were attacked, officials have said recently.

The planning was given added urgency by a cyber-attack last month on the defence contractor, Lockheed Martin.

A new report from the Pentagon is due out in a matter of weeks.

"A response to a cyber-incident or attack on the US would not necessarily be a cyber-response. All appropriate options would be on the table," Pentagon spokesman Colonel Dave Lapan told reporters on Tuesday.

post #1107 of 2691
Can we just rename this thread 'The Right Wing News Aggregator' Thread and have done?

Or 'The Barack Obama is a Stupid Election-Winning Shithead' Thread?

Or the 'We Will Work Tirelessly for a Republican Government!' Thread?

Something like that.

No one else can be bothered with the sheer toil and commitment of this stupid propaganda excavation. You're not even getting paid for it! I salute you for your commitment, but damn, I hope I never get stuck in a lift with any of you people.
post #1108 of 2691
Another shining example of "empathy" from Mumbo.

post #1109 of 2691
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Another shining example of "empathy" from Mumbo.

I just assumed that he really thinks that people who wear white t-shirts are racist, supports the extension of the Patriot Act, is fine with the US responding to a cyber attack with with a military attack, supports corporate welfare in the form of subsidies to the energy industry...and so on. Or that pointing out these things is just hating on Obama and Democrats. And maybe it is.

post #1110 of 2691
This is sweet- (worth clicking the link below to see the supposedly "racist" ad)

"Confectionery giant Cadbury has apologised to Naomi Campbell after the supermodel claimed an advert comparing her to one of its chocolate bars was racist.

The advert for Cadbury's Bliss range of Dairy Milk chocolate bars used the strapline "Move over Naomi, there's a new diva in town".

Campbell said she was "shocked" by the ad, intended as a tongue-in-cheek play on Campbell's reputation for diva-style tantrums and behaviour.

"It's upsetting to be described as chocolate, not just for me but for all black women and black people," she said. "I do not find any humour in this. It is insulting and hurtful."

Campaigning group Operation Black vote called the ad an "insult" to black women, while the supermodel's mother Valerie said she was "deeply upset by this racist advert"."
~ http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011...mi-campbell-ad
post #1111 of 2691

post #1112 of 2691
Cruise passengers tell of seven-hour security 'revenge' nightmare:

Quote:
But when a handful of them questioned whether the lengthy security checks at the port were strictly necessary for a group of largely elderly travellers officials were not amused.

Although they had already been given advance clearance for multiple entries to the country during their trip, all 2,000 passengers were made to go through full security checks in a process which took seven hours to complete.

The fingerprints of both hands were taken as well as retina scans and a detailed check of the passport as well as questioning as to their background.

Passengers claim that the extra checks were carried out in revenge for what had been a minor spat over allegedly overzealous security.

They complain that they were herded like animals and made to stand for hours in temperatures up to 80F with no food or water or access to lavatories.

Some are said to have passed out in the heat while others were left confused and bewildered.

When one lady asked in desperation whether she could use a bathroom, one immigration official is said to have replied: Do it over the side, we wont mind.

post #1113 of 2691
Quote:

I smell a federal lawsuit, not only for the wrongful punishment, but for slander and libel. Get out your checkbook, Mr. School District!
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #1114 of 2691
Dept. of Education Breaks Down Man's Door Over Estranged Wife's Student Loans

http://www.news10.net/news/article/1...kton-mans-door

post #1115 of 2691
Isn't this how the problem started? Trying to make sure people qualify for home loans for reasons other than financial creditworthiness?

Proposed rules could shut many out of housing market
Bankers, community advocates protest tough down payment requirements

Quote:
Proposed rules sparked by the financial industry meltdown of 2008 could have the effect of clamping down credit so hard that lower-income buyers and many others would be shut out of the mortgage market, critics say.

post #1116 of 2691
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Isn't this how the problem started? Trying to make sure people qualify for home loans for reasons other than financial creditworthiness?

Exactly. I already saw this personally as far back as 2008. It took my months to get approved for my home loan, whereas in the past it was almost instant. Not much different in my credit...it was definitely over 700 at the time. I can imagine it's much worse now. I refinanced a few years ago, and that sucked too. 20% down is basically impossible for young couple today. In my area, you really can't touch anything in a decent area below $200,000. Trying to save $40,000 for a house next to impossible, even with two incomes.
post #1117 of 2691
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

I remember reading that article the other day and I wanted to post it here but somehow closed the browser and forgot. Good find! Yes all those screaming about loan requirements will also be those screaming about greedy bankers later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Exactly. I already saw this personally as far back as 2008. It took my months to get approved for my home loan, whereas in the past it was almost instant. Not much different in my credit...it was definitely over 700 at the time. I can imagine it's much worse now. I refinanced a few years ago, and that sucked too. 20% down is basically impossible for young couple today. In my area, you really can't touch anything in a decent area below $200,000. Trying to save $40,000 for a house next to impossible, even with two incomes.

Home prices should drop until 20% is obtainable as a savings point. Also people need to get priorities right. Student loans are something you take because your education will improve your earnings potential. Liberal arts education is a fine idea but not to the tune of $100k so you can go be a barista. New cars, smartphones and other services are not a right. They are not a right.

I don't want to be an ass but almost every person I know who swears they can't save a dime has a car payment, a decent size cable bill and a post-paid smartphone. Those three items right there often account for about $400-550 worth of spending right there a month and those numbers are conservative. Often in most households I've seen the entitlement mentality double and thus if one gets it the other does too so take that number and double it. People feel entitlemented because "they work hard" to take whatever they want or can get on credit. As a country we need to be educated that the difference between owe and own is more than one letter.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #1118 of 2691
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Home prices should drop until 20% is obtainable as a savings point.

Exactly. Most people don't realize that The Fed with its artificially low interest rates and the tax code with its mortgage interest deductions and a myriad of other things from the government (including Fannie and Freddie) have, effectively, been (indirect) subsidies to the housing industry and have had the effect of bidding prices for houses up for 20, 30, 40 years.

Quote:

Also people need to get priorities right.

Well now you're just fantasizing!

Quote:

As a country we need to be educated that the difference between owe and own is more than one letter.

I Like that.

post #1119 of 2691
"Fairness Doctrine" gets the Kevorkian treatment:

Quote:
I fully support deleting the Fairness Doctrine and related provisions from the Code of Federal Regulations, so that there can be no mistake that what has been a dead letter is truly dead.

Let Air America die! Oh, it's already dead. How were we supposed to know?

http://republicans.energycommerce.ho...ssdoctrine.pdf
A is A
A is A
post #1120 of 2691
Quote:

I remember reading that article the other day and I wanted to post it here but somehow closed the browser and forgot. Good find! Yes all those screaming about loan requirements will also be those screaming about greedy bankers later.

Home prices should drop until 20% is obtainable as a savings point. Also people need to get priorities right. Student loans are something you take because your education will improve your earnings potential. Liberal arts education is a fine idea but not to the tune of $100k so you can go be a barista. New cars, smartphones and other services are not a right. They are not a right.

I don't want to be an ass but almost every person I know who swears they can't save a dime has a car payment, a decent size cable bill and a post-paid smartphone. Those three items right there often account for about $400-550 worth of spending right there a month and those numbers are conservative. Often in most households I've seen the entitlement mentality double and thus if one gets it the other does too so take that number and double it. People feel entitlemented because "they work hard" to take whatever they want or can get on credit. As a country we need to be educated that the difference between owe and own is more than one letter.

I see the point. I'll amend my statement to this: Trying to save $40,000 for a young couple that wishes to have some modern conveniences is nearly impossible. I do think that loose credit created the idea that anybody could buy a house as long as they had good credit, though. I never had 20%, but I had 10%...so it's not really the down payment that was my problem.

I agree on the entitlement mentality. That said, I do think that a life with some of those modern conveniences and pleasures can be very expensive. Are they necessities? Of course not. I take myself as an example. We do have car payments, cell phones, cable, etc. But we really don't spend a lot of money on entertainment. I stopped going to Eagles games a few years ago because of the cost. I downgraded by FiOS to save money on services I wasn't using. We don't go to bars often. We rarely eat out at nice restaurants. We limit things like take-out food as much as we can, and buy as many generics as we can. We do have some luxuries. I have a Man Cave. I enjoy good cigars. But beyond that, we're pretty frugal. We make a good amount of money, but with one child it's not easy to save. Life is simply expensive. I commend you for being more frugal than almost anyone I know!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Miscellaneous News.