or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Miscellaneous News.

Miscellaneous News. - Page 31

post #1201 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

tfthy.

Please don't change my words. I said exactly what I meant. I'm sorry of you're unwilling to stand by what you said or simply say: "Oops...yeah I can see how it looks like that. What I really mean is..."

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #1202 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Please don't change my words. I said exactly what I meant. I'm sorry of you're unwilling to stand by what you said or simply say: "Oops...yeah I can see how it looks like that. What I really mean is..."

I completely stand by what I said. How you can't apologize for your fumbled response is telling. Since when has "'some' people" meant the US law being changed? Never! And I clearlh stated that these people would become more enraged by more rights for gays. It's a rediculous leap to conclude I was saying that the laws would be changed to allow the rounding up and murder of gays. Just absurd.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #1203 of 2700
Quote:

I completely stand by what I said. How you can't apologize for your fumbled response is telling. Since when has "'some' people" meant the US law being changed? Never! And I clearlh stated that these people would become more enraged by more rights for these freedoms. It's a rediculous leap to conclude I was saying that the laws would be changed to allow the rounding up and murder of gays. Just absurd.

Move the goal posts if you like. Whatever. I'll let your words speak for themselves.

post #1204 of 2700
Quote:

The US as practically everyone knows has laws regarding hate crimes relating to gays and the US has been becoming considerably more progressive towards them. Indeed just today I read how the US military is planning on or is already allowing gays to openly serve in the military. To suppose I was trying to imply that what's happening in Ghana could or is likely to happen in the US is just absurd. I never implied that, this is just stupid arguing about it.

Do you make beeping noises when you back up like that?
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #1205 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Do you make beeping noises when you back up like that?

Those beeps you hear so clearly are two of your brain cells becoming energised. Who knows perhaps they'll create some thought soon!
post #1206 of 2700
What is it that causes leftists to turn to insults so quickly?

\

post #1207 of 2700
Quote:

What is it that causes leftists to turn to insults so quickly?

\

Lack of a winning argument? \
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #1208 of 2700
"Frankenstein, Oliver Twist and Robinson Crusoe could all be lurking on your iPad if you download a new application launched by the British Library this week which provides access to over 45,000 historical and antiquarian titles.

The British Library 19th Century Historical App, created in collaboration with software media firm Bibliolabs, offers iPad users a range of classic works by Mary Shelley, Charles Dickens, Daniel Defoe and many, many others as well as a fair few long-forgotten works, including Victorian travel writing, poetry and scientific texts.

The high resolution digital images of the app simulate the experience of reading an old volume, unlike standard e-books, and recreate in color the look and texture of the original pages and bindings as well as any engravings or illustrations.

"We launched a taster app in June and were completely overwhelmed by the response we received - it was phenomenal," Samantha Tillett, Product Development Manager at the British Library told Reuters.

"It seems people have a real interest in these works as they provide an insight into all aspects of 19th century life from all around the world."

The collection, which is expected to expand to 60,000 titles by the end of the year, also contains books from the 18th, 17th and even 16th centuries and features books in French, Spanish, Norwegian, Portuguese and Dutch.

The app allows book lovers to navigate through the digital library by entering keyword and title searches, create lists of their favorite reads and exchange titles with friends via email for a subscription fee of ₤1.99 (or $2.99 for U.S. and global users) per month.

However, the sheer volume of digitised literature means the books will not be downloaded directly onto the iPad.

Instead, individual titles can be selected by subscribers from an internet "cloud" of books and placed on their bookshelves for offline reading, Tillett said."
~ http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/0...7725EO20110803
post #1209 of 2700
Here's some interesting news about Mr. Romney :

Quote:
Firm gives $1 million to pro-Romney group, then dissolves

Records offer no clues who was behind mystery company that donated to 'super PAC'

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44011308...012/?GT1=43001

Quote:
A mystery company that pumped $1 million into a political committee backing Mitt Romney has been dissolved just months after it was formed, leaving few clues as to who was behind one of the biggest contributions yet of the 2012 presidential campaign. The existence of the million-dollar donation as gleaned from campaign and corporate records obtained by NBC News provides a vivid example of how secret campaign cash is being funneled in ever more circuitous ways into the political system

They're there and then they're not. That's covering your tracks.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #1210 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Lack of a winning argument? \

Maybe it's a lack of logic on the right's side.
post #1211 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Pretty despicable, but then that's what politics has always been about.

And I'm sure Obama hasn't received campaign donations from suspect sources .

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #1212 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Pretty despicable, but then that's what politics has always been about.

And I'm sure Obama hasn't received campaign donations from suspect sources .

That's possible I suppose. Instead of speculation have you seen any?
post #1213 of 2700
Quote:

That's possible I suppose. Instead of speculation have you seen any?

I've always thought it was interesting that Obama is the largest recipient of BP cash.

He has also accepted a lot of untraceable donations.

post #1214 of 2700
More good news in this analysis :

Republican leaders heed Tea Party but risk backlash

Refusal to compromise could cause fissure between traditionalists and newcomers

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44021322...-capitol_hill/
post #1215 of 2700
post #1216 of 2700
Quote:

The whole bunch of GOP politicians and LIberal Parties are all crooked! Romney is a shade character I would never trust.
post #1217 of 2700

post #1218 of 2700

Doesn't this belong in the 'problem is the government' thread?
post #1219 of 2700
Ah! FOX does it again!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44041546...ew_york_times/

Quote:
Fox News site calls Obama party a 'Hip-Hop BBQ'

Story generates storm of complaints that it was inaccurate at best, racist at worst

Quote:
The article, published Friday morning, generated more than 2,000 comments and substantial objections from people who found it to be inaccurate at best and racist at worst. Media Matters for America, a progressive group that campaigns against Fox, asserted that the article was part of a pattern of “race-baiting headlines and content” on the Web site.
post #1220 of 2700
Time to quadruple US military spending- http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...carrier-launch
post #1221 of 2700
Food for thought :

Quote:
Was S&P downgrade an act of revenge?

http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...act-of-revenge
post #1222 of 2700
The Robin Hood Tax is coming, it's official!- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYtNw...layer_embedded

From a couple of right wing Europeans-

"German chancellor Angela Merkel and French president Nicolas Sarkozy propose new financial transaction tax.

Tax expert Richard Murphy welcomed the commitment to a transaction tax, calling it "a welcome and overdue move that needs replication way beyond the eurozone if the feral banking economy is to be brought under control".

The Robin Hood Tax campaign was set up in the aftermath of the financial crash, and it lobbies for a small levy on each financial transaction to fund public spending in the UK and development work abroad. Max Lawson, the campaign's spokesman, said the UK should now respond to France and Germany's lead.

"This is a major step forward which leaves the UK increasingly isolated in insisting that a financial transaction tax must be global to work. Rather than standing on the sidelines, David Cameron should join Sarkozy and Merkel to make banks pay their fair share," said Lawson."
~ http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...robin-hood-tax
post #1223 of 2700
"For the sake of the Syrian people, the time has come for President Assad to step aside," President Barack Obama said in a statement.

For the third time (Egypt, Libya, now Syria) in only a few months the President of the United States has called for the leader of another country to step down.

While I don't necessarily disagree (though my saying it is not the same thing as the Commander-in-Chief of the largest military in the world saying it) that these "leaders" (a couple of which are formerly allies of the US BTW) should go, I still can't help but wonder how Americans, not to mention the administration, would react to a major world leader saying something like:

"For the sake of the American people, the time has come for President Obama to step aside."

I suspect at best it would be greeted with humorous and casual dismissals. More likely angry and righteous indignation.

post #1224 of 2700
Some reminders-

"What to Do During an Earthquake-

Stay as safe as possible during an earthquake. Be aware that some earthquakes are actually foreshocks and a larger earthquake might occur. Minimize your movements to a few steps to a nearby safe place and if you are indoors, stay there until the shaking has stopped and you are sure exiting is safe.

If indoors
DROP to the ground; take COVER by getting under a sturdy table or other piece of furniture; and HOLD ON until the shaking stops. If there isn’t a table or desk near you, cover your face and head with your arms and crouch in an inside corner of the building.
Stay away from glass, windows, outside doors and walls, and anything that could fall, such as lighting fixtures or furniture.
Stay in bed if you are there when the earthquake strikes. Hold on and protect your head with a pillow, unless you are under a heavy light fixture that could fall. In that case, move to the nearest safe place.
Use a doorway for shelter only if it is in close proximity to you and if you know it is a strongly supported, loadbearing doorway.
Stay inside until the shaking stops and it is safe to go outside. Research has shown that most injuries occur when people inside buildings attempt to move to a different location inside the building or try to leave.

Be aware that the electricity may go out or the sprinkler systems or fire alarms may turn on.
DO NOT use the elevators.
If outdoors
Stay there.
Move away from buildings, streetlights, and utility wires.
Once in the open, stay there until the shaking stops. The greatest danger exists directly outside buildings, at exits and alongside exterior walls. Many of the 120 fatalities from the 1933 Long Beach earthquake occurred when people ran outside of buildings only to be killed by falling debris from collapsing walls. Ground movement during an earthquake is seldom the direct cause of death or injury. Most earthquake-related casualties result from collapsing walls, flying glass, and falling objects.
If in a moving vehicle
Stop as quickly as safety permits and stay in the vehicle. Avoid stopping near or under buildings, trees, overpasses, and utility wires.
Proceed cautiously once the earthquake has stopped. Avoid roads, bridges, or ramps that might have been damaged by the earthquake.
If trapped under debris
Do not light a match.
Do not move about or kick up dust.
Cover your mouth with a handkerchief or clothing.
Tap on a pipe or wall so rescuers can locate you. Use a whistle if one is available. Shout only as a last resort. Shouting can cause you to inhale dangerous amounts of dust."
~ http://www.fema.gov/hazard/earthquake/eq_during.shtm
post #1225 of 2700
I didn't even feel it. Though media says that at least one Toronto skyscraper was evacuated.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #1226 of 2700

post #1227 of 2700
Quote:

Food for thought :

http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...act-of-revenge

Yes I think so because why did the CEO of S and P quite all of a sudden yesterday?Something is happening inside this company now.
post #1228 of 2700

post #1229 of 2700
post #1230 of 2700
Quote:

And you don't see the irony here of your own views?

No, I don't. But since you apparently see this alleged irony, would you be kind enough to explain it to me?

post #1231 of 2700
The trapped journalists at a hotel in Lybia have been allowed to leave.
post #1232 of 2700
Quote:

No, I don't. But since you apparently see this alleged irony, would you be kind enough to explain it to me?

Nevermind.
post #1233 of 2700
Quote:

Nevermind.

So are you withdrawing your claim of irony related to my views and the link I posted?

post #1234 of 2700
Quote:

So are you withdrawing your claim of irony related to my views and the link I posted?

No, I'm celebrating that the journalists are going to be OK.

You were quick to presumabley condemn Krugman, I made a lighthearted quip, that certainly wasn't meant to offend, if it did, sorry though.
post #1235 of 2700
Quote:

No, I'm celebrating that the journalists are going to be OK.

You were quick to presumabley condemn Krugman, I made a lighthearted quip, that certainly wasn't meant to offend, if it did, sorry though.

OK. I guess.

P.S. Yes, I was condemning Krugman. He's a partisan idiot worthy of condemnation.

post #1236 of 2700
I find it ironic that the so-called "Tea Party" is being accused of wanting things to get worse in this country so they can take power, and here we have Paul Krugman (definitely NOT a Tea Partier) actually saying that more wars, alien invasions and destructive earthquakes would stimulate the economy.

post #1237 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I find it ironic that the so-called "Tea Party" is being accused of wanting things to get worse in this country so they can take power, and here we have Paul Krugman (definitely NOT a Tea Partier) actually saying that more wars, alien invasions and destructive earthquakes would stimulate the economy.

But he's right, they would. He's just stating facts.
post #1238 of 2700
Quote:

But he's right, they would. He's just stating facts.

Ahhh...yet another believer of the Broken Window Fallacy.

post #1239 of 2700
Not to mention that wishing for an increase in the military-industrial complex is supposed to be off-limits for liberals.

Heck, I'm a conservative and I don't want growth to come that way.
post #1240 of 2700
The mj1970 quote was made up. More here- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_935186.html
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Miscellaneous News.