or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Miscellaneous News.

Miscellaneous News. - Page 34

post #1321 of 2700
Yeah, fuck the Northeast.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #1322 of 2700
Steve Jobs on Fox News and R Murdoch-

"The axis today is not liberal and conservative, the axis is constructive-destructive, and youve cast your lot with the destructive people. Fox has become an incredibly destructive force in our society. You can be better, and this is going to be your legacy if youre not careful."
~ http://9to5mac.com/2011/10/26/steve-...ructive-force/
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #1323 of 2700
Wasn't Steve Jobs part of the so-called 1%?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #1324 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Wasn't Steve Jobs part of the so-called 1%?

There are a small number of those who act responsibly within that 1%. These people are not the problem. There is no class warfare, except where it's invented by the right. What I mean to say is that there's no warfare against the rich. The war is against the assholes who can't be responsibly rich, and even against the middle class assholes who enable the rich assholes.
post #1325 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Why do you say this?
post #1326 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Steve Jobs on Fox News and R Murdoch-

"The axis today is not liberal and conservative, the axis is constructive-destructive, and youve cast your lot with the destructive people. Fox has become an incredibly destructive force in our society. You can be better, and this is going to be your legacy if youre not careful."
~ http://9to5mac.com/2011/10/26/steve-...ructive-force/

One of my favourite parts of the book. What is interesting throughout the biography is that Steve did not really play world politics even if he really wanted. He just sort of made these comments off hand, here and there. Where he was most engaged and infuriated (and infuriating) is in the passion for products and reviving Apple and keeping Pixar humming along.
post #1327 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Why do you say this?

Jazzguru found a paper that claimed 3 of 4 regions' floods seem to be unaffected by climate change. Jazzy's insane position all along has been that of a climate change denier. However, what he can't fucking understand is that if 3 of 4 are unaffected, 1 of 4 IS affected. That one which was affected was the Northeast region. I was ironically echoing Jazzy's implication that the Northeast doesn't matter. Hence, fuck the Northeast.

Explaining the joke kinda kills it.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #1328 of 2700
Quote:

Jazzguru found a paper that claimed 3 of 4 regions' floods seem to be unaffected by climate change. Jazzy's insane position all along has been that of a climate change denier. However, what he can't fucking understand is that if 3 of 4 are unaffected, 1 of 4 IS affected. That one which was affected was the Northeast region. I was ironically echoing Jazzy's implication that the Northeast doesn't matter. Hence, fuck the Northeast.

Perhaps you had to explain it because it wasn't funny.

Fuck Dinosaurs!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #1329 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Perhaps you had to explain it because it wasn't funny.

Fuck Dinosaurs!

No, he had to explain it because Marv, well-meaning as he is, is unclear on the concept of sarcasm.
post #1330 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

no, he had to explain it because marv, well-meaning as he is, is unclear on the concept of sarcasm.

fuck sarcasm!

post #1331 of 2700
"At least five large studies in recent years have found the United States to be less mobile than comparable nations. A project led by Markus Jantti, an economist at a Swedish university, found that 42 percent of American men raised in the bottom fifth of incomes stay there as adults. That shows a level of persistent disadvantage much higher than in Denmark (25 percent) and Britain (30 percent) a country famous for its class constraints.

Meanwhile, just 8 percent of American men at the bottom rose to the top fifth. That compares with 12 percent of the British and 14 percent of the Danes.

Despite frequent references to the United States as a classless society, about 62 percent of Americans (male and female) raised in the top fifth of incomes stay in the top two-fifths, according to research by the Economic Mobility Project of the Pew Charitable Trusts. Similarly, 65 percent born in the bottom fifth stay in the bottom two-fifths."
~ http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/05/us...s.html?_r=1&hp
post #1332 of 2700
Ah, yes. Class warfare. One of the favorite pastimes of authoritarians.

"We must all be alike. Not everyone born free and equal, as the Constitution says, but everyone made equal. Each man the image of every other; then all are happy, for there are no mountains to make them cower, to judge themselves against." -- Fahrenheit 451

post #1333 of 2700
Strawman! No one is saying everyone must all have the same income. However, the disparity that we have now puts us in line with the banana republics of Central and South America. Class warfare HAS existed over the last century--the rich against the poor. Then there are nincompoops who defend the rich when the poor see how fucked they are getting and start crying "class warfare" as if that hasn't been going on all along.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #1334 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Ah, yes. Class warfare. One of the favorite pastimes of authoritarians.

I love the way it's suddenly "class warfare" when someone dares to point out that poor people are getting fucked.
post #1335 of 2700
Hello guys, cool forum you have
post #1336 of 2700
Washington Post

Quote:
Since 1929, the FBI has defined rape as the carnal knowledge of a female, forcibly and against her will. The revised definition covers any gender of victim or attacker and includes instances in which the victim is incapable of giving consent because of the influence of drugs or alcohol or because of age. Physical resistance is not required. The Justice Department said the new definition mirrors the majority of state rape statutes now on the books.

Groverat and I used to debate these sorts of issues and one of the things he could never seem to honestly deal with is the fact that you can't count crimes against victims if they can't be legally defined as a victim. With this change in law, men can now be raped.

post #1337 of 2700
Quote:

Washington Post

Groverat and I used to debate these sorts of issues and one of the things he could never seem to honestly deal with is the fact that you can't count crimes against victims if they can't be legally defined as a victim. With this change in law, men can now be raped.

Finally some good news on this board.
post #1338 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmsa107 View Post

The question in my mind now is that with this changes in the law regarding rape cases, will it be easier for a man to come forward and admit that he was raped? hmmm

He couldn't admit it before. He could not ask for someone to be charged because the definition in the law said men couldn't be raped.

post #1339 of 2700
"The charge on the police docket was "disrupting class". But that's not how 12-year-old Sarah Bustamantes saw her arrest for spraying two bursts of perfume on her neck in class because other children were bullying her with taunts of "you smell".

"I'm weird. Other kids don't like me," said Sarah, who has been diagnosed with attention-deficit and bipolar disorders and who is conscious of being overweight. "They were saying a lot of rude things to me. Just picking on me. So I sprayed myself with perfume. Then they said: 'Put that away, that's the most terrible smell I've ever smelled.' Then the teacher called the police."

The policeman didn't have far to come. He patrols the corridors of Sarah's school, Fulmore Middle in Austin, Texas. Like hundreds of schools in the state, and across large parts of the rest of the US, Fulmore Middle has its own police force with officers in uniform who carry guns to keep order in the canteens, playgrounds and lessons. Sarah was taken from class, charged with a criminal misdemeanour and ordered to appear in court.

Each day, hundreds of schoolchildren appear before courts in Texas charged with offences such as swearing, misbehaving on the school bus or getting in to a punch-up in the playground. Children have been arrested for possessing cigarettes, wearing "inappropriate" clothes and being late for school."
~ http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...police-schools
post #1340 of 2700
Getting children used to the police state early.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #1341 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

"The charge on the police docket was "disrupting class". But that's not how 12-year-old Sarah Bustamantes saw her arrest for spraying two bursts of perfume on her neck in class because other children were bullying her with taunts of "you smell".

"I'm weird. Other kids don't like me," said Sarah, who has been diagnosed with attention-deficit and bipolar disorders and who is conscious of being overweight. "They were saying a lot of rude things to me. Just picking on me. So I sprayed myself with perfume. Then they said: 'Put that away, that's the most terrible smell I've ever smelled.' Then the teacher called the police."

The policeman didn't have far to come. He patrols the corridors of Sarah's school, Fulmore Middle in Austin, Texas. Like hundreds of schools in the state, and across large parts of the rest of the US, Fulmore Middle has its own police force with officers in uniform who carry guns to keep order in the canteens, playgrounds and lessons. Sarah was taken from class, charged with a criminal misdemeanour and ordered to appear in court.

Each day, hundreds of schoolchildren appear before courts in Texas charged with offences such as swearing, misbehaving on the school bus or getting in to a punch-up in the playground. Children have been arrested for possessing cigarettes, wearing "inappropriate" clothes and being late for school."
~ http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...police-schools

Quote:

Getting children used to the police state early.

This issue actually has many facets to it. The article itself seems to be written from a very anti-criminal justice system perspective (for lack of a better term). I think it also is written from a position of ignorance about the real security concerns and discipline concerns schools have today.

Despite the focus the article puts on schools "having their own police forces," it's not uncommon. I worked in a school 13 years ago that had an officer in the building. Of course, he wasn't handing out tickets for spraying perfume. I would be interested to know if these districts actually employ the officers or if they are external police force...as well as how many officers are actually employed.

The article does raise a good point, which is the near prison-like atmosphere that seems to be present in many secondary schools. I've long been a critic of this. It doesn't promote learning or creativity to be sure. One also has to wonder if the stringent, zero-tolerance polices are actually creating rebellion and lowering morale amongst students.

The other side here, though, is that schools essentially have no recourse anymore when it comes to discipline. Parents side with their children. Teachers cannot look at a student wrong or they are in trouble. Touch a kid and you're fired. Suspensions (in and out of school) don't work. What's left? I suppose the hope is criminal charges might actually carry some weight. Keep in mind, many of these schools serve populations where first graders give each other the finger, 3rd graders are brawling, and 12 year olds are joining gangs. I'm not sure what the schools are supposed to do.

As I stated...complicated issue.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #1342 of 2700
"--Digital right to be forgotten will be made EU law--

Embarrassing, inaccurate or simply personal data will have to be deleted from the internet and company databases if consumers ask, under a new set of European laws.

The move will mean that social networks such as Facebook or Twitter will have to comply with users' requests to delete everything they have ever published about themselves online. It will also mean that consumers will be able to force companies that hold data about them, such as for Tesco's Clubcard, to remove it.

The changes, which could take more than two years to implement, also include a new EU power to fine companies up to 2 per cent of their global turnover if they breach the rules."
~ http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...de-EU-law.html
post #1343 of 2700
Obama to propose lowering corporate tax rate to 28 percent

While we obviously need to wait to see the details, on the surface this looks like a good move. Even if it involves trying to be revenue neutral by closing "loopholes" and eliminating special interest deductions. I would definitely favor going even further in both corporate and personal income taxes...lower the rates and eliminate the deductions. Simplify. This alone would potentially free up some of the energy that goes into taxes and will also eliminate the distortions that come from deductions designed to try and micromanage the economy in one way or another.

This part is not so good:

Quote:
The corporate tax plan will include a minimum tax that must be paid by American multinational corporations on their foreign earnings — to prevent firms from sheltering profits oversees. Obama has also proposed ending tax breaks for companies that outsource and giving new tax incentives to firms that move jobs back home.

But, Rome wasn't built in a day and Obama coming around to a proper understanding of taxation and economic principles won't happen quickly.

Preliminary response? Cautious kudos!

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #1344 of 2700
I really don't understand this one.

If you triple the taxes on dividends, stocks will sink in value, damaging American companies large and small. Older americans will probably be disproportionately hit.

I get that it's part of the "attack on the elite 1% to benefit the 99%" but surely the Obama admin can see that this would ultimately impact anyone who owns stocks, whatever they make per year.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #1345 of 2700
"Scientists at CERN claimed that neutrinos arrived 60 nanoseconds earlier than the 2.3 milliseconds taken by light.

The report in Science Insider said the "60 nanoseconds discrepancy appears to come from a bad connection between a fiber optic cable that connects to the GPS receiver used to correct the timing of the neutrinos' flight and an electronic card in a computer."

"After tightening the connection and then measuring the time it takes data to travel the length of the fiber, researchers found that the data arrive 60 nanoseconds earlier than assumed," it added.

"Since this time is subtracted from the overall time of flight, it appears to explain the early arrival of the neutrinos."
~ http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...ulty-wire.html
post #1346 of 2700
Quote:

Why??
post #1347 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Why??

We've done this before. Scroll up. Here was my response to you then.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #1348 of 2700
Or you can actually read the article and see that scientists really have no clue to what degree climate change is involved at all:

Quote:
“Currently we do not see a clear pattern that enables us to understand how climate change will alter flood conditions in the future, but the USGS will continue to collect new data over time and conduct new analyses as conditions change,” said Robert Hirsch, a USGS scientist who was the lead author of the study, in a statement.

But trust them, humans are causing global warming and if we don't let governments control every aspect of our lives, we're doomed. DOOOOOOOMED!

post #1349 of 2700
Quote:

We've done this before. Scroll up. Here was my response to you then.

I notice with the conservatives you always have to do a lot of 'splainin!

Just in case any of you didn't understand : http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rm=splainin%27

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #1350 of 2700
Feds shut down Amish farm for selling fresh milk:

Quote:
The FDA won its two-year fight to shut down an Amish farmer who was selling fresh raw milk to eager consumers in the Washington, D.C., region after a judge this month banned Daniel Allgyer from selling his milk across state lines and he told his customers he would shut down his farm altogether.

Quote:
I cant believe in 2012 the federal government is raiding Amish farmers at gunpoint all over a basic human right to eat natural food, said one of them, who asked not to be named but received weekly shipments of eggs, milk, honey and butter from Rainbow Acres, a farm near Lancaster, Pa.

http://thehomestoregals.com/?page_id=476

Quote:
His farm was raided at gun point, and eventually the Department of Justice, at the behest of FDA, filed suit in Federal District Court to obtain an injunction prohibiting Allgyer from transporting and selling raw milk across state lines.

post #1351 of 2700

They broke the law, refused to change their practice, and faced the consequences. I'm sure they had been raided without firearms before and failed to take the matter of law seriously. I don't see what the point is here. If they want to change state law, do it through the vote. 28 states allow the consumption and sale of raw milk in some form.
post #1352 of 2700
Quote:

fuck sarcasm!

Your attitude on these posts are really nasty and not forgiving at all.
post #1353 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

They broke the law, refused to change their practice, and faced the consequences. I'm sure they had been raided without firearms before and failed to take the matter of law seriously. I don't see what the point is here. If they want to change state law, do it through the vote. 28 states allow the consumption and sale of raw milk in some form.

It's alright ton ton. We get it.

post #1354 of 2700
"Gingrich pledges $2.50 gas, Obama: 'it's easy to make phony promises'"

...speaking from experience no doubt.

post #1355 of 2700
The following will put you to sleep...indefinitely-

"Doctors are calling for a rethink of the use of sleeping pills after a large study showed that the drugs carry a substantially increased risk of death for those who are prescribed them.

Commonly used sleeping pills, or "hypnotics", such as temazepam and zolpidem, which is prescribed for short-term insomnia, are associated with more than a fourfold risk of death, according to the study published in the BMJ Open journal.

The study was carried out in the US, where up to 10% of the adult population took sleeping pills in 2010. The authors estimate that sleeping pills may have been associated with 320,000 to 507,000 extra deaths in the US that year.

The researchers, led by Daniel Kripke from the Scripps Clinic Viterbi Family Sleep Centre in La Jolla, California, studied the population served by the largest rural integrated healthcare system in America, in Pennsylvania.

Over a two-and-a-half-year period, they compared the death rates among more than 10,500 people who received sleeping pill prescriptions with those of more than 23,600 others matched for age, state of health and other factors who had not received such medication. The average age of the study group was 54.

The scientists in the study found that even at a relatively low rate of prescription fewer than 18 doses a year those who were given the pills had a 3.5 times greater risk of death compared with those who were not prescribed them. Individuals who were given pills more frequently between 18 and 132 doses in a year were more than four times more likely to be dead at the end of the study. The risk of death for those on the most pills 132 doses or more a year was more than five times that of those on no pills.

Those who had taken the most pills were also 35% more likely to be diagnosed with cancer although they had not been at greater risk of cancer than the control group before the study began. The risk was greatest for temazepam, one of the benzodiazepines. A link between sleeping pill use and cancer has also been found in previous studies.

Just showing an association between sleeping pills and more deaths does not prove the pills are the cause, the authors point out, although the increased risk as the number of doses went up points in that direction. But there have been other studies in the past that have also appeared to detect an increased death risk with sleeping pills, the authors say."
~ http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...sk-death-study
post #1356 of 2700
After-birth abortion: why should the baby live?

Abstract:

Quote:
Abortion is largely accepted even for reasons that do not have anything to do with the fetus' health. By showing that (1) both fetuses and newborns do not have the same moral status as actual persons, (2) the fact that both are potential persons is morally irrelevant and (3) adoption is not always in the best interest of actual people, the authors argue that what we call after-birth abortion (killing a newborn) should be permissible in all the cases where abortion is, including cases where the newborn is not disabled.

post #1357 of 2700
Colorado welfare debit cards used at casinos, strip clubs:

Quote:
The 9News investigation included the review of 222,000 transactions involving Colorado Quest cards, the state-issued debit cards welfare recipients use to access cash at ATMs. The transactions occurred during a six-month period in2011 involving a total of $8.1 million in ATM withdrawals.

While state law bans welfare transactions at liquor stores, casinos and bingo halls, it does not at strip clubs.

But the 9News investigation found numerous examples of cash withdrawals at businesses where transactions are banned and numerous examples of high ATM fees ultimately paid by the state even where transactions are allowed.

For example, 9News calculated that more than $40,000 was withdrawn from ATMs in metro-area liquor stores between May 1 and Nov. 30.

post #1358 of 2700
President Obama's muddy transparency record:

Quote:
President Barack Obama set a high bar for open government, and he set it quickly.

A minute after he took office, the White House website declared his administration would become the most open and transparent in history. By the end of his first full day on the job, Obama had issued high-profile orders pledging a new era and an unprecedented level of openness across the massive federal government.

But three years into his presidency, critics say Obamas administration has failed to deliver the refreshing blast of transparency that the president promised.

Obama is the sixth administration thats been in office since Ive been doing Freedom of Information Act work. Its kind of shocking to me to say this, but of the six, this administration is the worst on FOIA issues. The worst. Theres just no question about it, said Katherine Meyer, a Washington lawyer whos been filing FOIA cases since 1978. This administration is raising one barrier after another. Its gotten to the point where Im stunned Im really stunned.

Quote:
The administration has embarked on an unprecedented wave of prosecutions of whistleblowers and alleged leakers an effort many journalists believe is aimed at blocking national security-related stories.

Quote:
In one of those cases, the Justice Department is trying to force a New York Times reporter to identify his confidential sources and is arguing that he has no legal protection from doing so.

Quote:
A year ago, representatives of four open-government groups visited the Oval Office to give Obama an award for his deep commitment to transparency. (The event prompted some snickering because it was closed to the press and was omitted from Obamas public schedule.)

post #1359 of 2700
Federal judge says gun owners need not provide 'good reason,' rules Maryland law unconstitutional:

Quote:
"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights," Legg wrote. "The right's existence is all the reason he needs."

Quote:
"In addition to self-defense, the (Second Amendment) right was also understood to allow for militia membership and hunting. To secure these rights, the Second Amendment's protections must extend beyond the home: neither hunting nor militia training is a household activity, and 'self-defense has to take place wherever (a) person happens to be,'" Legg wrote.

post #1360 of 2700

Well I guess everyone in Maryland is going to go out, buy a bunch of guns, and shoot each other now.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Miscellaneous News.