or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Miscellaneous News.

Miscellaneous News. - Page 40

post #1561 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Raise funds with not being secret about it that is Romney for you a sneak all the way!

Remember this from 2008? Obama Accepting Untraceable Credit Card Donations

Time to wake up and realize that Obama and Romney are 2 sides of the same coin.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #1562 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Raise funds with not being secret about it that is Romney for you a sneak all the way!

Remember this from 2008? Obama Accepting Untraceable Credit Card Donations

The thing they both have in common is that they're human beings.

A Libertarian candidate whould also share this similarity. ( Wink if I could )

Edited by jimmac - 7/11/12 at 11:52am
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #1563 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

The tthing they both have in common is that they're human beings.

A Libertarian candidate whould also share this similarity. ( Wink if I could )

Stop making excuses. If it's wrong for Romney, it's wrong for Obama.

post #1564 of 2700
Quote:

I love the reasoning that goes on here:

1. If A (who you oppose) is found doing X (which you consider wrong), A is evil and wrong.

2. If B (who you support) is found doing X, then B is just human and, besides, everyone (including C, D, etc.) would do X therefore X is fine to do.

Or something.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #1565 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Quote:

I love the reasoning that goes on here:

1. If A (who you oppose) is found doing X (which you consider wrong), A is evil and wrong.

2. If B (who you support) is found doing X, then B is just human and, besides, everyone (including C, D, etc.) would do X therefore X is fine to do.

Or something.

And then it should be equally wrong for any potential Libertarian candidate as well. What I was pointing out is the assumption that just because you're a third party you're still human and vulnerable to this kind of behavior.

All politicians ( until they start making robot ones and let's hope they don't ) are human and there is always the potential for this. I'll even go one step further by saying I'm willing to bet any person you put in office will have something you or I wouldn't approve of. It's human nature unfortunately. I find it's the human nature side of things that is the fatal flaw in Libertarian reasoning. Assuming people will do the right thing. Which of course we all know they won't at some point.

post #1566 of 2700
Quote:

And then it should be equally wrong for any potential Libertarian candidate as well.

No one has claimed differently.

Quote:

What I was pointing out is the assumption that just because you're a third party you're still human and vulnerable to this kind of behavior.

All politicians ( until they start making robot ones and let's hope they don't ) are human and there is always the potential for this. I'll even go one step further by saying I'm willing to bet any person you put in office will have something you or I wouldn't approve of. It's human nature unfortunately.

Of course. All humans are susceptible to being corrupted in a quest for power. This should be an indicator of how much power ought to be vested in any institution, like the state.

Quote:

I find it's the human nature side of things that is the fatal flaw in Libertarian reasoning.

This is where you're wrong. This is the fatal flaw in thinking of those who wish to give more power to some people (via the state). They seem to believe that when people get extraordinary powers and control they will do good things and behave well. But history appears to tell us something very different. Lord Acton put it succinctly this way: "Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely." Many other great thinkers have expressed similar concerns and sentiments, warning against giving too much power to any entity or person. The apparent point of the US constitution was to limit powers of the government and to distribute and disburse it.

Quote:

Assuming people will do the right thing.

While liberty does require a predominantly moral people to work well I wouldn't say it assumes that people will always do the right things. In fact, the position of liberty advocates is to limit the power given to any individual or group of individuals exactly because people may do bad things and so the scope, effect and impact of those bad things will be more limited also. Advocates of liberty also recognize that when you create an institution (like the state) with unusual powers in society, those who are hungry for power will be attracted to it. The worse will actually rise to the top in that situation. There appears to be plenty of historical evidence of this.

post #1567 of 2700
Quote:

And then it should be equally wrong for any potential Libertarian candidate as well. What I was pointing out is the assumption that just because you're a third party you're still human and vulnerable to this kind of behavior.

All politicians ( until they start making robot ones and let's hope they don't ) are human and there is always the potential for this. I'll even go one step further by saying I'm willing to bet any person you put in office will have something you or I wouldn't approve of. It's human nature unfortunately. I find it's the human nature side of things that is the fatal flaw in Libertarian reasoning. Assuming people will do the right thing. Which of course we all know they won't at some point.

Apparently you are talking to the image of me you have crafted in your mind, because I didn't mention a third party candidate in this conversation, nor did I imply that third party candidates are impervious to corruption and scandal.

But I'm curious. Why wasn't "well he's only human" your response to the accusations against Romney's fundraising? Why are you only now saying this when it is pointed out to you that Obama actually engages in similar shenanigans?

Is it wrong or isn't it? Why are you still supporting a candidate who engages in the same behavior you believe is wrong for Romney to engage in?

post #1568 of 2700
Quote:

Quote:

Apparently you are talking to the image of me you have crafted in your mind, because I didn't mention a third party candidate in this conversation, nor did I imply that third party candidates are impervious to corruption and scandal.

But I'm curious. Why wasn't "well he's only human" your response to the accusations against Romney's fundraising? Why are you only now saying this when it is pointed out to you that Obama actually engages in similar shenanigans?

Is it wrong or isn't it? Why are you still supporting a candidate who engages in the same behavior you believe is wrong for Romney to engage in?

Everyone here who has read your posts for years knows your post was aimed at a third party candidate ( Libertarian  as if that would be different ).

Here's what you posted :

Quote:

What other side of the coin would there be except a 3rd party? Jeez!

post #1569 of 2700
Quote:

Everyone here who has read your posts for years knows your post was aimed at a third party candidate ( Libertarian  as if that would be different ).

Here's what you posted :

Try thinking more broadly than political parties.

post #1570 of 2700
Quote:

Quote:

Here's what you posted :

Try thinking more broadly than political parties.

It's well known who you tend to favor by your own statements here.

post #1571 of 2700
Quote:

Forget political parties for a moment. Can you? Think about my statements in a broader context.

post #1572 of 2700
Quote:

Quote:

Forget political parties for a moment. Can you? Think about my statements in a broader context.

Yeah sure. That's why you posted the Libertarian cartoon huh?

post #1573 of 2700
Quote:

I posted a cartoon in the libertarianism thread.

Libertarianism is a philosophy.

There also happens to be a Libertarian party.

But I am asking you to think outside the context of political parties.

post #1574 of 2700
Quote:

Quote:

I posted a cartoon in the libertarianism thread.

Libertarianism is a philosophy.

There also happens to be a Libertarian party.

But I am asking you to think outside the context of political parties.

When you do that I'll do that.

post #1575 of 2700
Quote:

lol.gif

post #1576 of 2700
Quote:

You have a lot of catching up to do, obviously.

post #1577 of 2700
Quote:

Quote:

You have a lot of catching up to do, obviously.

From my perspective I'm still waiting.

post #1578 of 2700
Quote:

Indeed.

post #1579 of 2700
Quote:

Quote:

Indeed.

Yup!

post #1580 of 2700
The population of England and Wales is 56 million. That's 5.5 times less than the US. The homicide figures of 550 during the whole year have just been released for England and Wales. In the US each year there are about 1,500 accidental gun deaths and a whole lot more homicides. Time to "drop it"?

"The murder rate in England and Wales fell by 14% to 550 homicides in 2011-12 – the lowest level since 1983."
~ http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jul/19/murder-rate-falls-crime-figures
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #1581 of 2700
Patience wearing thin with Israel, unsurprisingly-

"The British ambassador to Israel has said international support for the Jewish state among those in the political mainstream is eroding, driven by settlement expansion in the West Bank and continued restrictions on Gaza.

There is "growing concern" in the UK over lack of progress towards peace with the Palestinians, and Israel was now being seen as Goliath against the Palestinians as David, said Matthew Gould, in reference to the biblical story.

In an unusually forthright interview for Israel's Channel 10 news, Gould said he detected a shift among the middle ground of British members of parliament towards a more critical view of Israel.

"Israelis might wake up in 10 years' time and find out that the level of understanding in the international community has suddenly changed, and that patience for continuing the status quo has reduced," he said.

"Support for Israel is starting to erode and that's not about these people on the fringe who are shouting loudly and calling for boycotts and all the rest of it. The interesting category are those members of parliament in the middle, and in that group I see a shift."

But, he added, Britain was "by no means unique" in its growing concern about the lack of progress towards peace. "Anyone who cares about Israel's standing in the world should be concerned about the erosion of popular support."

The shift was a result of Israeli government policies, Gould said, suggesting that it could not be countered or obscured by hasbara. The Hebrew word for explanation refers to efforts by the Israeli government and its supporters to promote a pro-Israel agenda and challenge what it sees as negative media coverage.

"The centre ground, the majority, the British public may not be expert but they are not stupid and they see a stream of announcements about new building in settlements, they read stories about what's going on in the West Bank, they read about restrictions in Gaza. The substance of what's going wrong is really what's driving this," Gould said.

He added: "Israel is now seen as the Goliath and it's the Palestinians who are seen as the David." In the biblical story of David and Goliath, the young future king of Israel defeats the mighty Philistine warrior armed only with a sling and stones.

Yigal Palmor, spokesman for the Israeli foreign ministry, said: "The feelings of friendship among Israelis towards the British and Britain in general are as strong as they have always been. It makes us sad to hear the ambassador talking about a growing asymmetry. But diplomats don't just make comments, they convey messages. We have taken good note.""
~ http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/aug/03/israel-losing-international-support-british-ambassador
post #1582 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Patience wearing thin with Israel, unsurprisingly-
"The British ambassador to Israel has said international support for the Jewish state among those in the political mainstream is eroding, driven by settlement expansion in the West Bank and continued restrictions on Gaza.
There is "growing concern" in the UK over lack of progress towards peace with the Palestinians, and Israel was now being seen as Goliath against the Palestinians as David, said Matthew Gould, in reference to the biblical story.
In an unusually forthright interview for Israel's Channel 10 news, Gould said he detected a shift among the middle ground of British members of parliament towards a more critical view of Israel.
"Israelis might wake up in 10 years' time and find out that the level of understanding in the international community has suddenly changed, and that patience for continuing the status quo has reduced," he said.
"Support for Israel is starting to erode and that's not about these people on the fringe who are shouting loudly and calling for boycotts and all the rest of it. The interesting category are those members of parliament in the middle, and in that group I see a shift."
But, he added, Britain was "by no means unique" in its growing concern about the lack of progress towards peace. "Anyone who cares about Israel's standing in the world should be concerned about the erosion of popular support."
The shift was a result of Israeli government policies, Gould said, suggesting that it could not be countered or obscured by hasbara. The Hebrew word for explanation refers to efforts by the Israeli government and its supporters to promote a pro-Israel agenda and challenge what it sees as negative media coverage.
"The centre ground, the majority, the British public may not be expert but they are not stupid and they see a stream of announcements about new building in settlements, they read stories about what's going on in the West Bank, they read about restrictions in Gaza. The substance of what's going wrong is really what's driving this," Gould said.
He added: "Israel is now seen as the Goliath and it's the Palestinians who are seen as the David." In the biblical story of David and Goliath, the young future king of Israel defeats the mighty Philistine warrior armed only with a sling and stones.
Yigal Palmor, spokesman for the Israeli foreign ministry, said: "The feelings of friendship among Israelis towards the British and Britain in general are as strong as they have always been. It makes us sad to hear the ambassador talking about a growing asymmetry. But diplomats don't just make comments, they convey messages. We have taken good note.""
~ http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/aug/03/israel-losing-international-support-british-ambassador

Patience is wearing thin....with Israel?

Ahmadinejad: World goal must be to ‘annihilate” Israel

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #1583 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Patience is wearing thin....with Israel?

Ahmadinejad: World goal must be to ‘annihilate” Israel

He didn't say he wanted "to annihilate Israel", and you know it. He said he wanted to "annihilate the zionist regime". Typical shit from the war party. 

post #1584 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Those two things are the same you idiot.

No they are not. lol.gif

post #1585 of 2700

Under What Grounds was Brandon Raub Pulled from His House and Taken to a Psychiatric Hospital?

Statement from Brandon Raub's Attorneys

Maybe this is the sort of thing BR has in mind for those who don't submit to his "comprehensive" sex education classes or refuse to be vaccinated.

BR: "I've found that people volunteer by force better."

Edited by MJ1970 - 8/20/12 at 2:15pm

post #1586 of 2700
Quote:

BR: "I've found that people volunteer by force better."

"Everyone is free...to do exactly what I tell them to do."

post #1587 of 2700

Waiting to hear any outrage from...well just about anyone: Military Vet Detained For Psych Evaluation Over Anti-Government Facebook Posts

post #1588 of 2700
Quote:

He didn't say he wanted "to annihilate Israel", and you know it. He said he wanted to "annihilate the zionist regime". Typical shit from the war party. 

Right.  Another mistranslation, I suppose?  Hmmm. Funny, because Hezbollah (supported by the Iranian government), wants to launch chemical attacks that would kill "tens of thousands."    Iran's leadership views Israel as an "illegitimate state."   

post #1589 of 2700

Liberia. A bunch of slaves get their own country to roam freely within. So what do they do with it, knowing first hand what it means to be oppressed?

"The True Whig Party, also known as Liberian Whig Party, is the oldest political party in Liberia. Founded in 1869, the party dominated Liberian politics from 1878 until 1980 to the extent that the country was virtually a one-party state, although opposition parties were never outlawed.[1] Initially, its ideology was heavily influenced by that of the United States Whig Party.

The political party was founded in the township of Clay-Ashland in 1869.[2][3] It presided over a society where only Black American settlers and their descendants were citizens able to vote, and so represented them, often working in tandem with the Masonic Order.[citation needed] The party endorsed systems of forced labour. In 1930 they sold human labour to Spanish colonialists on Fernando Po (now Bioko in Equatorial Guinea),[citation needed] leading to a five-year U.S. and British boycott of Liberia. Despite this dispute, the West saw them as a stabilizing, unthreatening force and so invested heavily in the nation under William Tubman's leadership (1944–1971)."

~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Whig_Party

post #1590 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Right.  Another mistranslation, I suppose?  Hmmm. Funny, because Hezbollah (supported by the Iranian government), wants to launch chemical attacks that would kill "tens of thousands."    Iran's leadership views Israel as an "illegitimate state."   

Israel is mostly an illegitimate state. Just ask the Palistinians. I am for Israel having a country there, just a much smaller one that respects the Palestinians right to that land too.

Hezbollah is just saying what it could do in a war. That's about all they have. Compare that to Israel which has a modern well armed military with US backing. Kind of puts it in perspective. And it's not like the US doesn't brag. Remember John McCain's Bomb Bomb Bomb, Bomb Bomb Iran?

post #1591 of 2700

You are correct. Both countries can live in peace.Without our support of Israel they are really hopeless meaning financially they count on us and what do we get in return zero.

post #1592 of 2700

Great speech by Obama. He understands that what makes a nation great is it's people, not it's wealthy elite- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=192oEC5TX_Q

post #1593 of 2700
Quote:

Great speech by Obama. He understands that what makes a nation great is it's people, not it's wealthy elite- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=192oEC5TX_Q

Isn't Mr. Barack "You-Didn't-Build-That" Obama one of those wealthy elite?

post #1594 of 2700

Hands appears to be in the employ of the Obama campaign.

post #1595 of 2700
Quote:

Isn't Mr. Barack "You-Didn't-Build-That" Obama one of those wealthy elite?

Yes, after the book deals.  No, not with what he did with his life leading up to it.  And again, way to take "you-didn't-build-that" completely out of context.  He essentially said "no man is an island."  Are you really going to argue with that?

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #1596 of 2700

You are right they both stink!

post #1597 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

And again, way to take "you-didn't-build-that" completely out of context.  He essentially said "no man is an island."  Are you really going to argue with that?

And, again, you're wrong. He isn't taking it out of context. But, even if he was, Barack Obama's intended meaning and implication is still wrong...very, very wrong. It is a straw man. No one claims to be an island. But his implication is that a) business people think or claim they are, and b) the collaborations they've used to achieve their success have somehow been stolen or taken without compensation.

But there's another false implication in what he's saying which is that these folks, either personally or corporately, have not paid any taxes to contribute to the things he had previously referred to (things like schools and roads). This is almost certainly untrue and, in fact, they have almost certainly probably paid disproportionately to the services they've consumed.

Finally, there's a bit of sleight of hand that's he's trying here: He's arguing for higher federal income taxes on these people (to "pay their fair share") but the things he's referring to are almost entirely paid through local (property and sales) taxes, some state income taxes and even gasoline (usage) taxes.

The only reason I can see for you defending this statement is that the Marxist nature of it aligns with your own Marxist view of the world.

Edited by MJ1970 - 8/24/12 at 6:39am

post #1598 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Finally, there's a bit of sleight of hand that's he's trying here: He's arguing for higher federal income taxes on these people (to "pay their fair share") but the things he's referring to are almost entirely paid through local (property and sales) taxes, some state income taxes and even gasoline (usage) taxes.

Quoted to ensure certain people don't miss this paragraph.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #1599 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Yes, after the book deals.  No, not with what he did with his life leading up to it.

So...it's ok to be a "wealthy elite" as long as you weren't born into it and you obtained your wealth through book deals?

post #1600 of 2700
Quote:

So...it's ok to be a "wealthy elite" as long as you weren't born into it and you obtained your wealth through book deals?

It's okay to be a wealthy elite if you got lucky, were in the right place at the right time, didn't actually do any real work to become wealthy and then were elected to public office.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Miscellaneous News.