or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Miscellaneous News.

Miscellaneous News. - Page 44

post #1721 of 2706

Isaac, almost seven years to the day after Katrina.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/30/hurricane-isaac-pictures-photos_n_1844124.html

Has the storm been mentioned at the GOP pep rally?  I am just asking about a mention of the difficulty and danger that people are facing while the truth is being stretched in Tampa.

Edited by Bergermeister - 8/30/12 at 7:08pm

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #1722 of 2706

Wow.  Are my glasses OK?

One of the Koch brothers thinks gay marriage is OK.

He also thinks taxes should be raised.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0812/80483.html

Wonder how long it will take before he is called not truly a Republican or Conservative or American of whatever.

Edited by Bergermeister - 8/31/12 at 2:22am

post #1723 of 2706

The GOP party had Clint.

The Daily Show had Nimoy.

And Michael Steele.

And sex.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/thu-august-30-2012-michael-steele

post #1724 of 2706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

The GOP party had Clint.

The Daily Show had Nimoy.

And Michael Steele.

And sex.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/thu-august-30-2012-michael-steele

Cool i guess! Sex????

post #1725 of 2706
Quote:

Isaac, almost seven years to the day after Katrina.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/30/hurricane-isaac-pictures-photos_n_1844124.html

Has the storm been mentioned at the GOP pep rally?  I am just asking about a mention of the difficulty and danger that people are facing while the truth is being stretched in Tampa.

Yes. It was.  Next?

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #1726 of 2706

Ryan lied about his time in a marathon... by a lot.  Is this how the guy will think about numbers in the future (or the truth for that matter?)?  He seems more worried that his brother was upset than the fact that he had lied in the first place to the public.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/01/paul-ryan-marathon-time_n_1848715.html

- - - - - -

Big companies of the likes of Bain are under investigation

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/02/business/inquiry-on-tax-strategy-adds-to-scrutiny-of-finance-firms.html?_r=1&hp

- - - - - -

Mitt tells a woman who lost her house to the hurricane floods to go home and call 211.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/01/mitt-romney-211_n_1848432.html

His sense of caring just bubbled over!

- - - - - -

Mitt called the United States a "company".

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/31/mitt-romney-company_n_1847214.html

- - - - - - -

Possible ethics laws violation by none other than Mitt?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/us-election/9483845/US-election-Mitt-Romney-may-have-breached-ethics-laws-through-company-linked-to-Paul-Ryans-brother.html

post #1727 of 2706

Romney and Ryan equals RATS AND ROBOTS. They are liars and rats who fester in the garbage of Republican lies.Robots who the millionaires like the Koch Brothers who control them.

post #1728 of 2706
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Romney and Ryan equals RATS AND ROBOTS. They are liars and rats who fester in the garbage of Republican lies.Robots who the millionaires like the Koch Brothers who control them.

Well, that's how politics works... So sad and pathetic!

post #1729 of 2706
Quote:

Wow.  Are my glasses OK?

One of the Koch brothers thinks gay marriage is OK.

He also thinks taxes should be raised.

I don't know that I agree with raising taxes but how about just cutting all the tricks the rich can use to afford paying nothing.

I also think going to more of a VAT tax system might be the better way. Covers things like cash workers not reporting income cause they still have to buy stuff. Make a clear list of essentials exempt but otherwise it's whatever percent 'sales' tax

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #1730 of 2706
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I don't know that I agree with raising taxes but how about just cutting all the tricks the rich can use to afford paying nothing.
I also think going to more of a VAT tax system might be the better way. Covers things like cash workers not reporting income cause they still have to buy stuff. Make a clear list of essentials exempt but otherwise it's whatever percent 'sales' tax

Many conservatives actually agree with this, so long as the VAT or consumption tax replaces the income tax.  With respect to Romney, though, he didn't pay "nothing."  He paid around 13.5% per year.  That, by the way, is more than I pay as a middle income person (effective rate) most years.  

post #1731 of 2706
Quote:

Ryan lied about his time in a marathon... by a lot.  Is this how the guy will think about numbers in the future (or the truth for that matter?)?  He seems more worried that his brother was upset than the fact that he had lied in the first place to the public.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/01/paul-ryan-marathon-time_n_1848715.html

- - - - - -

Big companies of the likes of Bain are under investigation

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/02/business/inquiry-on-tax-strategy-adds-to-scrutiny-of-finance-firms.html?_r=1&hp

- - - - - -

Mitt tells a woman who lost her house to the hurricane floods to go home and call 211.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/01/mitt-romney-211_n_1848432.html

His sense of caring just bubbled over!

- - - - - -

Mitt called the United States a "company".

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/31/mitt-romney-company_n_1847214.html

- - - - - - -

Possible ethics laws violation by none other than Mitt?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/us-election/9483845/US-election-Mitt-Romney-may-have-breached-ethics-laws-through-company-linked-to-Paul-Ryans-brother.html

With each post, you confirm the Romney/Ryan point:  This is what desperation looks like.  And given that Obama has lied repeatedly to our faces about things like, oh, say, a 2 fucking trillion dollar healthcare bill, your little litany of complaints looks pretty pathetic.  Marathon times, bogus ethics allegations and a gaffe about America being a company.  Meanwhile, Obama gets to write his own laws, send guns to Mexico that get used to kill Border Patrol Agents, invoke executive privilege for documents he's never seen, fill his cabinet with radicals, associate with domestic terrorists and card carrying communists, leak national security secrets and fail in just about every way imaginable, and it's George Bush's fault.   Got it. 

post #1732 of 2706

This is what desperation looks like:

Insert talking points that have been proven false again and again and AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN.  

While there may be merit to the many-worlds hypothesis, there is little evidence that they coexist in the same universe, no matter how much Republicans want to claim their own separate parallel set of "facts". The simpler explanation, that does not involve an incursion from another universe by members of one particular political party in one country on one planet in the backwoods of an insignificant run-of-the-mill spiral-armed galaxy, is that said members of said Republican party have lapped up the bullshit heaped upon them from their leadership and loved it, begging for more and more and more.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #1733 of 2706

Desperation looks like having to increase font size, caps, bold and colour usage in every single post because you think outrage wins extra points in a debate.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #1734 of 2706

Or could it be frustration vis-à-vis Republicans attempting to rewrite reality?  Yeah, it's that.  Definitely that.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #1735 of 2706

Go with Romney and Ryan  and believe the bullshit you hear from them.Lies upon lies where is the truth!

post #1736 of 2706
Quote:

Go with Romney and Ryan  and believe the bullshit you hear from them.Lies upon lies where is the truth!

And that's different from Obama/Biden how exactly?

post #1737 of 2706

"Since 1980, higher education spending has decreased by 13 percent in inflation adjusted dollars, whereas spending on California's prisons and associated correctional programs has skyrocketed by 436 percent. The state now shells out more money from its general fund for the prison system than the higher education system."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/06/california-prisons-colleges_n_1863101.html

"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #1738 of 2706

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #1739 of 2706
Quote:

There is no truth in politics

post #1740 of 2706

post #1741 of 2706

News is reporting that the American ambassador to Libya was killed in an attack on an American consulate.

post #1742 of 2706

There is no one to trust any longer which is indeed sad. What happened to our great country America?

post #1743 of 2706

Possibility of extreme winter in the US this year...  due to melting Arctic ice.

I wonder how many GOPpers will build igloos on the Washington Mall claiming the climate is OK this time?

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/astonishing-arctic-sea-ice-melt-may-lead-to-extreme-winter-weather-14989

Edited by Bergermeister - 9/13/12 at 5:14am

post #1744 of 2706

Wait, the climate changes? Really?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #1745 of 2706

You can't use current climate science to make predictions --> and being right 50% of the time isn't all that scientific.

The rest is FUD and hoping, and hope isn't a scientific process. The golbalwarministas are too similar to the hyperinflation hypochondriacs -- every news cycle "oh it's really coming this time" or "it's right around the corner."

Mann is the Gary North of climate science. Anchorage just had the coldest summer in 50 years, and just a few years back they were running stories about how global warming meant that we'd have vineyards in the Anchorage bowl within a few years.

Yep, annnnnnnny time now.

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #1746 of 2706

post #1747 of 2706

post #1748 of 2706

Because it worked so wonderfully the first 2 times they tried it.

post #1749 of 2706

It worked well for me. My silver holdings are up 5% on the day.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #1750 of 2706
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

How dare you not keep all your money (which isn't really yours) in an "FDIC insured" bank!

post #1751 of 2706
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Quote:

How dare you not keep all your money (which isn't really yours) in an "FDIC insured" bank!

How dare I leverage play money to buy real precious medals and thus double my return in fake money!

!

post #1752 of 2706

China is really trying to up the ante against Japan over a group of islands claimed by both countries.  Well, once occupied (there are remnants of a small settlement) by Japan with no comment from China... until minerals were discovered nearby.

Today six Chinese ships traversed the waters near the islands.  China has even started producing weather forecasts for the area, so the people get used to seeing the islands as theirs.

A Chinese newspaper suggested using an atomic bomb to settle the matter.

Is this situation making news in the US?  The US has a strong defense agreement with Japan and any violence could draw the US in.

The next leader of China went missing about two weeks ago and no word of his health or whereabouts has come out.  China has a leadership conference coming up, too.

http://rendezvous.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/14/rising-tension-and-stakes-in-japan-china-island-dispute/

post #1753 of 2706

post #1754 of 2706
Quote:

Surprised nobody comments about the China situation.

Panetta is visiting Japan, China...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/panetta-concerned-pacific-territorial-disputes-could-expand-turn-violent/2012/09/16/0779b738-ffed-11e1-bbf0-e33b4ee2f0e8_story.html

I've been reading your links. It seems like a war would be crazy. I can't see how either side would benefit from that over relatively such small resources. China's a real tyrant though, and I can't imagine it ever giving up it's claim to the islands. What's the mood like for war over this in Japan?

post #1755 of 2706

The Japanese that I talk to never mention "war", but voice strong concern over the situation.  Panetta today raised the war idea so discussions may change.  Sadly, amajor diversion here is the uber-focus on the new plane the Osprey.

The current government came to power two years ago (I think, it's been a long day) and immediately started screwing things up, one of which was the relationship with the US.  They stirred up a bee's nest in Okinawa regarding US bases and it is a royal mess.

Also, they stopped the quiet diplomacy behind the scenes that possibly could have averted the China situation.

Then come the current crisis.  Let's say it is beginning to get a little unsettling.

The riots in China are beginning to go crazy.  Japanese owned businesses such as retailers and factories have been ransacked.  

Anyway, it's been a long day and I'm exhausted, so here is a link to CNN, which finally has this at the top at least on their international site.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/09/17/world/asia/china-japan-islands-dispute/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

post #1756 of 2706

The protests in China have destroyed stores, and factories of Japanese companies.

Japan is financially responsible, according to China.

http://mainichi.jp/english/english/newsselect/news/20120918p2g00m0dm026000c.html

If this comes to a head and there is a conflict between China and Japan, the US is required to assist Japan, which would possibly lead the Chinese to demonstrate against the US and its companies.

Should Apple, with all of its cash in the bank, consider moving manufacturing elsewhere?  How about creating jobs in the US?

- - - - -

Fortunately, the announced flotilla of 1000 fishing boats has so far not approached the islands in question, but Chinese patrol boats did.  The latter entered the waters near the islands, told Japanese boats to leave, then left, leaving the Japanese boats as they were, thus showing that China doesn't really think of the islands as their own.

- - - - -

Chinese athletes who were to attend a badminton contest in Japan canceled, tours to Japan have been canceled, it is getting a little whacky to watch.  A Japanese living in China said that state TV is broadcasting 24 hours a day on the issue and that the message is so one-sided that it is hard to not fall in line with it; essentially, state TV in China is fueling the demonstrations.

- - - - -

Finally, today, people around me are worried that China wants war.  They say they are scared.  They then say they hope the US will clearly present its position in regards to the defense treaty it has with Japan. 

- - - - -

China's navy has been absent in all of this.  They seem to be using fisherman lately as their foot soldiers. 

Their navy also at present is not very powerful, something that will change over the next decade.

Edited by Bergermeister - 9/18/12 at 2:03am

post #1757 of 2706

The U.S. Takes a Dive in Economic Freedom of the World Index:

While China still has a way to go, it seems the US is going the wrong direction.

The U.S. no longer in the top 10:

Here's another index where the US has fallen over the past decade and risks dropping out of the top 10. This index is updated in January, so it will be interesting to see what the 2013 report shows.

post #1758 of 2706
Quote:

The protests in China have destroyed stores, and factories of Japanese companies.

Japan is financially responsible, according to China.

http://mainichi.jp/english/english/newsselect/news/20120918p2g00m0dm026000c.html

If this comes to a head and there is a conflict between China and Japan, the US is required to assist Japan, which would possibly lead the Chinese to demonstrate against the US and its companies.

Should Apple, with all of its cash in the bank, consider moving manufacturing elsewhere?  How about creating jobs in the US?

- - - - -

Fortunately, the announced flotilla of 1000 fishing boats has so far not approached the islands in question, but Chinese patrol boats did.  The latter entered the waters near the islands, told Japanese boats to leave, then left, leaving the Japanese boats as they were, thus showing that China doesn't really think of the islands as their own.

- - - - -

Chinese athletes who were to attend a badminton contest in Japan canceled, tours to Japan have been canceled, it is getting a little whacky to watch.  A Japanese living in China said that state TV is broadcasting 24 hours a day on the issue and that the message is so one-sided that it is hard to not fall in line with it; essentially, state TV in China is fueling the demonstrations.

- - - - -

Finally, today, people around me are worried that China wants war.  They say they are scared.  They then say they hope the US will clearly present its position in regards to the defense treaty it has with Japan. 

- - - - -

China's navy has been absent in all of this.  They seem to be using fisherman lately as their foot soldiers. 

Their navy also at present is not very powerful, something that will change over the next decade.

Why are you spreading this propaganda? The world respects the U.S. now and hangs and moves on the very words of President Obama. China would never do this to Japan because President Obama will merely have a drink and discussion with everyone and all will be well. The Middle East has no problems as well. Nothing is wrong anywhere. The tides are no longer rising. Everyone is at peace. All is blissful and respectful. Those assholes that suggested that might makes right have been shown the door.

post #1759 of 2706
Quote:

Why are you spreading this propaganda? The world respects the U.S. now and hangs and moves on the very words of President Obama. China would never do this to Japan because President Obama will merely have a drink and discussion with everyone and all will be well. The Middle East has no problems as well. Nothing is wrong anywhere. The tides are no longer rising. Everyone is at peace. All is blissful and respectful. Those assholes that suggested that might makes right have been shown the door.

I wouldn't be surprised if WWIII happens under Obama's second term, if he were to win. Every thug country and terrorist group in the world knows that the USA has never been weaker than under Obama. They might as well take advantage of the current conditions.

post #1760 of 2706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if WWIII happens under Obama's second term, if he were to win. Every thug country and terrorist group in the world knows that the USA has never been weaker than under Obama. They might as well take advantage of the current conditions.

lol.gif Priceless! lol.gif

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Miscellaneous News.