or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Miscellaneous News.

Miscellaneous News. - Page 60

post #2361 of 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

I blame the internet on a lot of things happening now where these atrocities are happening much to often. These sites where you can learn to build bombs should be taken down right away, This kind of sites where unheard of years ago when the internet started to emerge.Hopefully this sicko will be caught asap before more damage will be inflicted upon others in other states and in other events.Obama start to do something now!

Don't blame the internet. Anyone with the most basic knowledge of chemistry can build a bomb using commonly available components. This information is available in books as well. What do we do? Ban books? Make people take background checks before purchasing a chemistry text book, or visiting a hardware or gardening supply store? People with guns kill people as well (in rather larger numbers than by bombs) as do drunken people in automobiles. You want to ban cars and guns too?

"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #2362 of 2698

The Senate blocks gun control.  I read recently that 90% of the people supported the laws... which means the Senate, led by the GOP faction, voted against the will of the people.  Again.

Also shows the power of the gun lobby.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/federal_government/no-new-gun-control-senate-rejects-more-background-checks-assault-weapons-ban-after-newtown/2013/04/17/e68c3bb2-a7bd-11e2-9e1c-bb0fb0c2edd9_story.html

Obama spoke after the decision; Fox didn't carry his speech [go figure].  

Edited by Bergermeister - 4/17/13 at 7:05pm

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #2363 of 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

The Senate blocks gun control.

Good.

Quote:

I read recently that 90% of the people supported the laws... which means the Senate, led by the GOP faction, voted against the will of the people.  Again.

It only means that if that 90% figure is true. Regardless, sometimes it doesn't matter what the will of the people is. If the will of the people is as strong as suggested by this 90% figure, then amending the constitution ought not be a problem at all.

But there's more...

We don't really know what that 90% actually supports, and my guess is even they don't. That 90% figure centers around expanded background checks. Who knows how the questions were asked, but I'll ask a few: What do the background checks check? Who passes? Who fails? Under what conditions? Is there any room for abuse of the background check? Any opportunity for the "not allowed" category to slowly expand without additional legislation?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #2364 of 2698
Quote:

I read recently that 90% of the people supported the laws... which means the Senate, led by the GOP faction, voted against the will of the people.  Again.

You seem not to understand how democracy works in the U.S. federal government.

Even if 90% of people support this measure (and that's extremely doubtful), the Senate is set up to protect states from being run over by federal laws that do not take local considerations into account.

Hence the problem here. As I've said many times, gun control isn't a left-right issue as much as it's a rural-urban issue.

And despite what CNN anchors think, outside the major cities, it's a really big country.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #2365 of 2698

It is intended to pave the way for another more far-reaching round of reductions later in his term 1rolleyes.gif1cool.gif

post #2366 of 2698
Quote:

The Senate blocks gun control.

One of the few good things they've done in a very long time.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #2367 of 2698
Originally Posted by Bae1ayri7c View Post
It is intended to pave the way for another more far-reaching round of reductions later in his term

Welcome. We have our own emoticons here. They're accessible by going here and choosing one.

You've our regulars thinking this was spam because of your broken links. lol.gif

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #2368 of 2698
Quote:

The Senate blocks gun control.  I read recently that 90% of the people supported the laws... which means the Senate, led by the GOP faction, voted against the will of the people.  Again.

Perhaps you should link to your source of support for additional gun restrictions and regulations. I've never seen a number with support for 90% towards almost anything so I treat it as highly questionable.

This Gallip poll shows historic trends with gun control, gun ownership and support. To me it looks like the Senate vote almost precisely matched the level of support the country had on the issue.

Perhaps you should stop reading propaganda that attempts to demonize opposition rather than engage it.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #2369 of 2698

post #2370 of 2698

Today, 5 days later than last year, is "tax freedom day."

post #2371 of 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Quote:

Perhaps you should link to your source of support for additional gun restrictions and regulations. I've never seen a number with support for 90% towards almost anything so I treat it as highly questionable.

This Gallip poll shows historic trends with gun control, gun ownership and support. To me it looks like the Senate vote almost precisely matched the level of support the country had on the issue.

Perhaps you should stop reading propaganda that attempts to demonize opposition rather than engage it.

From the poll that you linked to ...

post #2372 of 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

conan-rofl.gif

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #2373 of 2698
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That doesn't indicate 90% support for this particular amendment. The amendment went well beyond that. Gun dealers are already licensed and cannot make any sale without a background check. However I will concede that it does indicate 90% support for a position and I did indicate skepticism for that. Thanks for the find.

That said, the Senate voted 54-46 for the amendment and 58% of the country favors stronger gun laws, nebulous and open as that may be. That isn't some sort of radical disparity and I believe that position is well supported as well.

post #2374 of 2698

Something is going on at MIT right now.

post #2375 of 2698
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That doesn't indicate 90% support for this particular amendment. The amendment went well beyond that. Gun dealers are already licensed and cannot make any sale without a background check. However I will concede that it does indicate 90% support for a position and I did indicate skepticism for that. Thanks for the find.

That said, the Senate voted 54-46 for the amendment and 58% of the country favors stronger gun laws, nebulous and open as that may be. That isn't some sort of radical disparity and I believe that position is well supported as well.

No, there were 7 amendments under consideration, and the Gallup question above that received 92% support was almost precisely the Manchin & Toomey background checks amendment that failed 54 - 46.
post #2376 of 2698
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No, there were 7 amendments under consideration, and the Gallup question above that received 92% support was almost precisely the Manchin & Toomey background checks amendment that failed 54 - 46.

If by "precisely the same" you mean regulates the entire internet with regard to gun purchases and also puts extreme restrictions on private transactions then what you really must mean is not at all the same.

post #2377 of 2698
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If by "precisely the same" you mean regulates the entire internet with regard to gun purchases and also puts extreme restrictions on private transactions then what you really must mean is not at all the same.

You are correct that it would cover any advertised sale, not just gun shows. No doubt many, if not all, of the 92% who support background checks for gun show sales would be totally opposed to background checks on other kinds of advertised sales, even though unadvertised private transactions were explicitly excluded from the amendment.

post #2378 of 2698
Quote:

You are correct that it would cover any advertised sale, not just gun shows. No doubt many, if not all, of the 92% who support background checks for gun show sales would be totally opposed to background checks on other kinds of advertised sales, even though unadvertised private transactions were explicitly excluded from the amendment.

I suspect that the level of support would be much lower if it was explained that if you posted an ad on Craigslist for the sale of your private gun, that you would need, as a private citizen to run a background check on another private citizen.

That said, what I just described is nothing at all like a gun show and that is why by exactly the same we mean not at all the same.

post #2379 of 2698

There is news beyond Boston:

Big earthquake in China.  Over 100 dead.  Thousands injured.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/04/19/chinas-sichuan-earthquake/2098249/

As always, these figures will likely go up.

- - - - -

North Korea said today that it will not give up nukes.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/20/us-korea-north-idUSBRE93J06S20130420

post #2380 of 2698

post #2381 of 2698

I don't know why you are bringing that up, MJ.  That's an argument for more money being spent to enforce worker safety regulations.  It's not enough to just have the regulations on the books--the government has to be able to do regular, thorough, inspections.

Of course, I suppose you are just fine and dandy with the free market deciding not to have basic protections to prevent such a disaster?

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #2382 of 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

I don't know why you are bringing that up, MJ.

Because many people tragically died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

That's an argument for more money being spent to enforce worker safety regulations.  It's not enough to just have the regulations on the books--the government has to be able to do regular, thorough, inspections.

Of course, I suppose you are just fine and dandy with the free market deciding not to have basic protections to prevent such a disaster?

I love all the assumptions you've made here.

Quote:
It's still unclear what caused the blast, which Brad Smith felt in his home 50 miles away.

Quote:
Local authorities are still working with federal officials, including the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, to determine the cause of the deadly explosion, Perry said.

It's unclear whether the plant had safety problems. In 2006, the Environmental Protection Agency fined the company that ran the fertilizer plant $2,300 and told the owners to correct problems that included a failure to file a risk management program plan on time.

Still though, if this is a failure of government oversight and regulation that hardly seems to be a logical argument for government oversight and regulation.

post #2383 of 2698

Looks like the plant in Texas that the townspeople love so much actually was storing stuff illegally.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/20/west-fertilizer-company_n_3121110.html

Depended on self-reporting...

post #2384 of 2698

Veridian Dynamics: Money before people.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #2385 of 2698

Should they be held as enemy combatants?

Or just fined?

post #2386 of 2698

Well, since it's a corporation that did it, let's fine them for less than the profits they earned by breaking the law and endangering/murdering innocent people.  It's The American Way.  Of course, I'm sure MJ, et al, wouldn't want to fine them at all.  Let The Market decide!

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #2387 of 2698

The thing most consistent with the American way appears to be making biased assumptions and inflammatory accusations without, you know, actual facts or evidence. Good for you!

post #2388 of 2698

Don't get all butt hurt when a corporation doesn't self-report that it has way too many improperly stored explosive materials.  The free market can now decide not to buy from them anymore.  Problem solved*.

*lives ended, community ravaged, preventable situation not prevented. But freedom & Murica!

Hmm, I actually wonder if some of these crazy Christian libertarians might be OK not preventing easily preventable deaths through regulation because they think life goes on for eternity after death.  Is it possible that they don't feel the urgency to make life on Earth better for everyone at the cost of absolute freedom because they don't think this is the only life people get?

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #2389 of 2698

And yet more assumptions without facts.

post #2390 of 2698

post #2391 of 2698

Earthquake in China

China declines foreign help.

People on the ground complain that help is not arriving fast enough.

post #2392 of 2698

My heart bleeds for them. Worry about your own country first in the states. Plenty of problems there now.

post #2393 of 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

My heart bleeds for them. Worry about your own country first in the states. Plenty of problems there now.

I'm not in the US; China is a very big neighbor.

I do agree that the US has plenty of problems. Sometimes I think one has to live outside the country for a while to understand exactly how bad things are... and what is good.

post #2394 of 2698

Meanwhile, back here in the "bastion of liberty and freedom of expression", a 8th grade schoolkid is arrested and sent to jail for wearing an NRA teeshirt....

WTF? Obamanation, Abomination?

post #2395 of 2698

Is there any news out of West, Texas?  I can't seem to find much...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/mike-elk-the-texas-fertilizer-plant-explosion-cannot-be-forgotten/2013/04/23/48eb770c-ac26-11e2-b6fd-ba6f5f26d70e_story.html

More people died and more property was damaged [destroyed, actually, not just damaged], but the culprits seem to be the State of Texas, the town of West, and the company itself. . . 

Why haven't McCain and the other cronies - who were soooooo vocal this week speaking out at every opportunity about Boston - cried out at every opportunity for a full investigation in West?  I'm actually surprised that they haven't tried to drag the EPA and other agencies down by saying that they obviously failed and therefore we should eliminate them.

Has Obama been to West yet?  

Edited by Bergermeister - 4/24/13 at 9:12am

post #2396 of 2698
Quote:

Is there any news out of West, Texas?

The news is that they are a) quietly burying the dead, and b) diligently investigating the cause.

Quote:

Has Obama ben to West yet?  

Not that I've read.

post #2397 of 2698

Man Dies in Police Raid on Wrong House:

Quote:
A 61-year-old man was shot to death by police while his wife was handcuffed in another room during a drug raid on the wrong house.

Police admitted their mistake, saying faulty information from a drug informant contributed to the death of John Adams Wednesday night. They intended to raid the home next door.

The two officers, 25-year-old Kyle Shedran and 24-year-old Greg Day, were placed on administrative leave with pay.

post #2398 of 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Man Dies in Police Raid on Wrong House:

Do you accept personal responsibility for this?

We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #2399 of 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Do you accept personal responsibility for this?

Why on earth would I? What the **** are you even talking about? Do you even understand the concept of personal responsibility? Based upon your recent statements on the subject it doesn't look like you do.

The people who are (personally) responsible for this are the individuals who a) raided the wrong house, and b) evidently did not identify themselves well enough as police officers thus creating this tragic situation.

post #2400 of 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Why on earth would I? What the **** are you even talking about? Do you even understand the concept of personal responsibility? Based upon your recent statements on the subject it doesn't look like you do.

The people who are (personally) responsible for this are the individuals who a) raided the wrong house, and b) evidently did not identify themselves well enough as police officers thus creating this tragic situation.

You help pay their wages right. The police are paid through your taxes. The police make mistakes sometimes. So I ask you again. Do you accept personal responsibility for this?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Miscellaneous News.