or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Miscellaneous News.

Miscellaneous News. - Page 7

post #241 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Not a like or dislike, just wondering whether there was a point. Did I use the work like or dislike?

Please explain to me the point of any of the other posts in this thread. It is called " Miscellaneous News " isn't it?
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #242 of 2700
Biden on stimulus bill: 'Are we headed in the right direction?'

I'll give you a prize if you get the right answer. Let's see:

Quote:
Biden's answer, of course, was yes: "The economic initiatives that we took, they are working ... they are working."

And in Obama administration style, repeating the affirmation makes it so. Even if it's not so.

Quote:
The new report released by Biden and the Obama economic team said that the stimulus bill -- what they call the Recovery Act -- has saved or created between 2.5 million to 3.6 million new jobs .

Republicans pointed out that the economy is still shedding jobs, and the unemployment rate is 9.5 percent, despite Obama spending programs.

But we still pull out the Blame Bush card:

Quote:
In his remarks at the White House, Biden noted that Obama inherited the worst recession since the Great Depression from the George W. Bush administration, an economic setback that cost the economy almost 8 million jobs.

Quote:
Biden also disputed the Republican notion that "Barack and I" believe only in "big government."

All evidence to the contrary.

Quote:
The vice president said the stimulus is designed to help businesses recover, because "the only way back is through the free enterprise system and the private sector."

And so we've enlarged government because "the only way back is through the free enterprise system and the private sector."

Quote:
Christina Romer, who chairs the president's Council of Economic Advisers, said stimulus money is also leveraging private investment, and businesses are putting in $3 for every $1 spent by the government.

Ahhh...the famous (and fictional) Keynesian multiplier.

Quote:
Don Stewart, a spokesman for McConnell, cited polls showing that most Americans do not believe the stimulus has done much to help them. Stewart also questioned the validity of the White House projections, citing a similar report last year "claiming that if Congress borrowed nearly a trillion dollars and passed the stimulus, the unemployment rate would be down to about 7.5 percent by now -- not the current 9.5 percent."

Alas, reality does not appear to agree with Mr. Biden. How surprising.

I have a question for the resident Obamapologists: Are there any circumstances or conditions which think the administration would admit that this was a failure? Or any of its initiatives for that matter?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #243 of 2700
How the Economy Will Look On Election Day:

Quote:
A lot can still happen before the midterm elections in November. But one thing that's probably safe to rule out is a dramatic improvement in the economy.

In fact, there's a good chance the economy has already peaked for the year, and that has dire implications for President Obama and Democrats hoping to maintain control of Congress.

Many Americans probably didn't notice, but the economy grew by about 3.5 percent over the last 12 months. Forecasting firm IHS Global Insight thinks that growth peaked in the second quarter, at about 3.8 percent. Those would be healthy numbers in a normal economy. But much of that growth came from government stimulus spending, the first-time home buyer tax credit, huge capital injections by the Federal Reserve, and other fairy dust sprinkled on the economy by Washington.

Translation: What growth there is isn't real economic growth, it's a fantasy.

Quote:
The government's potions are starting to wear off. The stimulus spending will gradually wind down over the next couple of years. The Fed has ended its biggest financial maneuver, meant to juice demand for bonds, stocks, and other securities. After being extended once, the home buyer tax credit has expired for good. And with the huge national debt becoming a problem in itself, Congress has begun to shut the door on further requests for aid to the unemployed, strapped state governments, and other supplicants.

Translation: We can't kick the can down the road any more. Let's sit back and pray that the private sector will actually start growing despite all of the disincentives that have been set up against that.

Quote:
Incumbents clinging to their seats--especially Democrats defending President Obama's agenda--will accentuate the positive: At least the economy is growing. Aggressive government action averted a depression. It could have been a lot worse. That's all true, but good-enough arguments will sound unconvincing in November, when the economy will still feel pretty scary.

Translation: Voters will be wondering why they decided to put the Democrats in control, again. Only to have them screw things up, again. The Hope and Change tonic will be wearing off and people will be hoping for real change.

Quote:
The question for November isn't whether the gurgling economy will produce Republican gains. That seems inevitable. The question is whether Republicans will regain control of Congress--and if they do, then what? Political analyst Larry Sabato, for one, predicts that Republicans will gain 7 seats in the Senate and 32 in the House--enough to stymie most Democratic plans, but not enough to regain control of either chamber. If that's what happens, Republicans might consider it a blessing. The economy isn't looking so great in 2011 or 2012 either, and the next Congress is going to have to confront the inevitable need for tax increases and spending cuts. Maybe we'll get used to throwing the bums out every two years.

post #244 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Please explain to me the point of any of the other posts in this thread. It is called " Miscellaneous News " isn't it?

If you don't have a point, just say so.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #245 of 2700
What we've learnt so far:

Thread for miscellaneous news = Obama

Thread for Oil Spill = Obama

Climate = Obama

Only other threads are actually ABOUT Obama.

No way any lefties paid half as much attention to Bush.

Lame.

What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #246 of 2700
Quote:

If you don't have a point, just say so.

I asked you twice explain the difference between my post and others. You didn't reply to that. My post was news just the same as the others you just didn't like it.

Noah If you don't have a point to your question why post?
post #247 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

What we've learnt so far:

Thread for miscellaneous news = Obama

Thread for Oil Spill = Obama

Climate = Obama

Only other threads are actually ABOUT Obama.

Lame.

The sequels are never as good as the original.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #248 of 2700
post #249 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Meanwhile,

The truth about supply-side economics.

That article is only related to "supply-side" economics in your imagination. In fact that article reports the news* that validates all criticisms of Obamanomics.

*It's not really news in the proper sense to anyone with any brains who could have easily predicted the general predicament the country is in now based on Obama's modus operandi.

post #250 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Meanwhile,

The truth about supply-side economics.

Go visit the uncertainty thread.

post #251 of 2700
Quote:

I asked you twice explain the difference between my post and others. You didn't reply to that. My post was news just the same as the others you just didn't like it.

Noah If you don't have a point to your question why post?

My point was clear, to better understand the point you were trying to make. Other post news but their intention is usually pretty clear to me and the poin the are making is usually obvious. So I asked you for clarification. Since then you have deflected and obfuscated rather than answer a simple question. I am not going to clear this up again as that would be a waste of time and effort at this point. Feel free to make this all about me in your next post.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #252 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

It's a message board, so there's no way for me to tell whether you said that with a straight face.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #253 of 2700
Quote:

My point was clear, to better understand the point you were trying to make. Other post news but their intention is usually pretty clear to me and the poin the are making is usually obvious. So I asked you for clarification. Since then you have deflected and obfuscated rather than answer a simple question. I am not going to clear this up again as that would be a waste of time and effort at this point. Feel free to make this all about me in your next post.

Noah show me another post in this thread about news ( the subject of this thread ) where it has this definite point ( other than Obama bashing ) that you're talking about.
post #254 of 2700
Quote:

Noah show me another post in this thread about news ( the subject of this thread ) where it has this definite point ( other than Obama bashing ) that you're talking about.

See, even if the point of the other post was Obama bashing, it was easily discernable.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #255 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

That article is only related to "supply-side" economics in your imagination. In fact that article reports the news* that validates all criticisms of Obamanomics.

*It's not really news in the proper sense to anyone with any brains who could have easily predicted the general predicament the country is in now based on Obama's modus operandi.

Are you kidding me!?

The foundation of supply-side is the idea that if you put more money in the hands of businesses, they will use that money to create jobs.

That is the entire premise! You cannot claim that this article is not relevant to that premise.

This proves that this is not at all the case, and that in fact, corporations will hold profits, and not spend them, under many circumstances.

This is why the Bush tax cuts failed to drive the economy. And it also happens to be why Obama's continuation of the Republican bailout initiative fails to drive the economy.

So you're right to criticize Obama, but not for the reasons you think.

What we need, that Obama didn't deliver, is another deal that puts money and economic power in the hands of the consumers, not the producers.
post #256 of 2700
Quote:

See, even if the point of the other post was Obama bashing, it was easily discernable.

I think his point was Rand Paul, Michael Steele and Sharron Angle bashing. But given how objectively non-partisan he claims to be that can't be right.

post #257 of 2700
Quote:

I think his point was Rand Paul, Michael Steele and Sharron Angle bashing. But given how objectively non-partisan he claims to be that can't be right.

I did say tell me how this had less of a point than any other post in this thread.
post #258 of 2700
Quote:

So if my post is much the same as the others in this thread what's your point?

And actually it was real news not just me saying how much I don't like Republicans. So if this thread is about reporting the latest miscellaneous news I'd have to say it falls under that heading. Given the title does it need more of a point than that? You do know not all news is just about Obama right?
post #259 of 2700
Quote:

So if my post is much the same as the others in this thread what's your point?

And actually it was real news not just me saying how much I don't like Republicans. So if this thread is about reporting the latest miscellaneous news I'd have to say it falls under that heading. Given the title does it need more of a point than that? You do know not all news is just about Obama right?

Why does this have anything to do with Obama? I never brought anything about the man up with regards to your post.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #260 of 2700
Quote:

Why does this have anything to do with Obama? I never brought anything about the man up with regards to your post.

Why can't you just answer the question? How is my post different? Why are you trying to make it look like it's something different than the rest of the posts in this thread?

It couldn't be for partisan reasons could it?
post #261 of 2700
Quote:

Why can't you just answer the question? How is my post different? Why are you trying to make it look like it's something different than the rest of the posts in this thread?

It couldn't be for partisan reasons could it?

Nice, called that one didn't I. Now the point is about me and the original question goes unanswered yet again. You are predictable.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #262 of 2700
Quote:

Nice, called that one didn't I. Now the point is about me and the original question goes unanswered yet again. You are predictable.

My point is that it's news just the same as the other news reported here. Now what's your point?

I'm guessing I'll get another dodge.
post #263 of 2700
Quote:

My point is that it's news just the same as the other news reported here. Now what's your point?

I'm guessing I'll get another dodge.

Ok, you have given your point, sort of (not really but I will never get it out of you it seems).

My point was obvious. I read your post and it made no sense to me. So I asked, what is your point? It still makes no sense, you have not clarified or made it any more enticing for me to try to understand, so I guess it will die here. Others have tried to speak on your behalf, sometimes snarkily, but you have not taken the time to clarify yourself. And your childish retorts continue apace.

No dodge, an up front response. Too bad you cannot do the same.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #264 of 2700
Quote:

Ok, you have given your point, sort of (not really but I will never get it out of you it seems).

My point was obvious. I read your post and it made no sense to me. So I asked, what is your point? It still makes no sense, you have not clarified or made it any more enticing for me to try to understand, so I guess it will die here. Others have tried to speak on your behalf, sometimes snarkily, but you have not taken the time to clarify yourself. And your childish retorts continue apace.

No dodge, an up front response. Too bad you cannot do the same.

Ok so now it's " Sense " instead of a
" Point ". How did my post make any less sense than any of the others here who simply reported a news point?
post #265 of 2700
Quote:

Ok so now it's " Sense " instead of a
" Point ". How did my post make any less sense than any of the others here who simply reported a news point?

Really? Now I have to explain to you what about your post did not make sense? I suppose if you told me howit was supposed to I could reverse construct it and tell you where your point was lost on me. But then, if I have gone this far and you still need me to do that to give an answer then you are not serious about giving an answer anyhow.

This matter is closed. Jimmac can win if he likes. Or not.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #266 of 2700
Barack Obama makes laughably ironic claims about Republicans.

And since guns and bombs don't appear to be working, talking will now ensue. We'll see how that works out.

post #267 of 2700
Quote:

Barack Obama makes laughably ironic claims about Republicans.

And since guns and bombs don't appear to be working, talking will now ensue. We'll see how that works out.

I think the last bit of the article summed it up for me.

Quote:
"It's time to stop holding workers laid off in this recession hostage to Washington politics," said the president. "It's time to do what's right, not for the next election, but for the middle class."

"I know it's getting close to an election, but there are times where you put elections aside," he added. "This is one of those times."

House Republican leader John Boehner said in response to the comments that the president is offering "disingenuous attacks, not answers."

"The President knows that Republicans support extending unemployment insurance, and doing it in a fiscally-responsible way by cutting spending elsewhere in the $3 trillion federal budget," he said in a statement. "At a time of record debt and deficits made worse by Washington Democrats' massive spending spree, that's the right thing to do and the right way to do it."
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #268 of 2700
Quote:

Really? Now I have to explain to you what about your post did not make sense? I suppose if you told me howit was supposed to I could reverse construct it and tell you where your point was lost on me. But then, if I have gone this far and you still need me to do that to give an answer then you are not serious about giving an answer anyhow.

This matter is closed. Jimmac can win if he likes. Or not.

So my post didn't make sense to you but you can't tell me why?

Uh huh.
post #269 of 2700
Plan to begin Afghan security handover this year dropped:

Quote:
Plans to begin handing control of provinces in Afghanistan to Afghan security forces by the end of this year have been quietly dropped amid fears among European countries that General David Petraeus, the new US commander in the country, is less committed to a speedy transfer of power.

It truly must be a challenge running an empire. Hard enough to micro-manage one country (the US) but two more (Iraq and Afghanistan) and to be trying to control at least two others (Iran and Pakistan)? Whew.

post #270 of 2700
Times loses almost 90% of online readership:

Quote:
Less than three weeks after the Times paywall went up, data shows a massive decline in web traffic

The Times has lost almost 90% of its online readership compared to February since making registration mandatory in June, calculations by the Guardian show.

Next at bat? The NYT.

post #271 of 2700
Nothing new with Mel Gibson.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #272 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Nothing new with Mel Gibson.

Thank God! So tired of reading and hearing about mis-behaving celebrities as if it was, you know, actually news.

post #273 of 2700
Quote:

Thank God! So tired of reading and hearing about mis-behaving celebrities as if it was, you know, actually news.

Hear Hear!!!
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #274 of 2700
Fascinating stuff in here.

post #275 of 2700
Jobs in Colorado

Bad news for Republoonies

Shakespeare's got nothing
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #276 of 2700
How is that "Racis Tea" thing going for you?
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #277 of 2700

post #278 of 2700
Quote:

Oh dear.

That link deserves repetition =>

Poll: Only 4 in 10 say Obama deserves re-election
post #279 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

That link deserves repetition =>

Poll: Only 4 in 10 say Obama deserves re-election

Well since we're not even two years into his term and it's clear that the Republicans don't offer anything new from the approach that got us into the current sitation in the first place I'm not too worried about a republican president in 2 ( or so ) years.
post #280 of 2700
A vote of 'no confidence' for Congress, media:

Quote:
Public confidence in the group dubbed the worlds greatest deliberative body has hit an all-time low in this years Gallup Confidence in Institutions poll, with only 11 percent of Americans saying that they have "a great deal" or quite a lot of confidence in Congress.

Confidence ratings for Congress have historically been fairly low, never rising far above 40 percent since the poll began in 1973. But this years confidence drop down 6 points since last year and almost 20 since the early 2000s puts Congress dead last among the 16 institutions tested by Gallup this year.

Quote:
Heres the complete list of institutions, with the percentage of respondents who said they have a great deal or quite a lot of confidence in each one:

The military 76 percent
Small business 66
The police 59
The church/organized religion 48
The medical system 40
The presidency 36
The Supreme Court 36
Public schools 34
The criminal justice system 27
Newspapers 25
Banks - 23
Television news 22
Organized labor 20
Big business 19
HMOs 19
Congress 11

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Miscellaneous News.