or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Miscellaneous News.

Miscellaneous News. - Page 63

post #2481 of 2694

Everybody has an opinion in life.

post #2482 of 2694
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

First, I say tough shit to those who want exemptions.

Good. We're all clear now that you believe that people can be forced to fund things that go against their consciences simply because the majority says so.

So it's great to hear that vouchers can be used for Christian schools, churches can be exempt from all taxes and Bibles can be taxpayer funded, just like other historical books. If atheists complain, we'll just steamroll over them and say tough if they want exemptions.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #2483 of 2694

Cue: "false" equivalency claim.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #2484 of 2694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Looks like South Carolina will elect Sanford to congress.

Seriously.

As a Democrat?

post #2485 of 2694

Was Lauryn Hill singled out among tax evaders?

Quote:
Tax attorneys say celebrities like Hill are often sentenced and prosecuted more vigorously so that officials can send a message to the public. Willie Nelson, Wesley Snipes and Nicholas Cage were all prosecuted for failing to pay taxes. (Snipes did prison time; Nelson and Cage did not).

"Prosecutors and the IRS will deny it," said Roy Black, the famed defense attorney in Florida who represented Curran. "But everyone knows that's what's going on. They know that every newspaper in the country will have the Lauryn Hill story somewhere in the paper today. They like high-profile cases."

Black said that charges against celebrity tax avoiders have often been filed in early April—just in time to send a message to the public to file their returns properly.

post #2486 of 2694

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #2487 of 2694

China continues its slow motion towards expansion.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/05/08/national/china-questions-okinawa-ownership/#.UYp0BZXfZRU

They are questioning whether Okinawa, home to thousands of US troops (in addition to the Japanese residents), actually belongs to Japan... or China?

Next they'll try for the Philippines and maybe even Hawaii.

The US recently said that the Senkaku Islands are Japanese without doubt, which likely POd China no end.

- - - - -

A major Chinese bank today imposed sanctions on North Korea, a moved praised around the world but not announced within China.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #2488 of 2694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Looks like South Carolina will elect Sanford to congress.

Seriously.

This is, as many are saying, a serious loss for conservatism.

His strategy to nationalize the race and run against Pelosi was brilliant. Which should send a message to Democrats, if they care about November at all.

post #2489 of 2694

IRS apologizes for targeting conservative groups:

Quote:
The Internal Revenue Service is apologizing for inappropriately flagging conservative political groups for additional reviews during the 2012 election to see if they were violating their tax-exempt status.

Lois Lerner, who heads the IRS unit that oversees tax-exempt groups, said organizations that included the words "tea party" or "patriot" in their applications for tax-exempt status were singled out for additional reviews.

post #2490 of 2694

Missouri Legislature Nullifies All Federal Gun Control Measures by a Veto-Proof Majority:

Quote:
As law, HB436 would nullify virtually every federal gun control measure on the books – or planned for the future.   It reads, in part:

Quote:
All federal acts, laws, orders, rules, and regulations, whether past, present, or future, which infringe on the people’s right to keep and bear arms as guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution and Article I, Section 23 of the Missouri Constitution shall be invalid in this state, shall not be recognized by this state, shall be specifically rejected by this state, and shall be considered null and void and of no effect in this state.
(2) Such federal acts, laws, orders, rules, and regulations include, but are not limited to:
(a) The provisions of the federal Gun Control Act of 1934;
(b) The provisions of the federal Gun Control Act of 1968;
(c) Any tax, levy, fee, or stamp imposed on firearms, firearm accessories, or ammunition not common to all other goods and services which could have a chilling effect on the purchase or ownership of those items by law-abiding citizens;
(d) Any registering or tracking of firearms, firearm accessories, or ammunition which could have a chilling effect on the purchase or ownership of those items by law-abiding citizens;
(e) Any registering or tracking of the owners of firearms, firearm accessories, or ammunition which could have a chilling effect on the purchase or ownership of those items by law-abiding citizens;
(f) Any act forbidding the possession, ownership, or use or transfer of any type of firearm, firearm accessory, or ammunition by law-abiding citizens; and
(g) Any act ordering the confiscation of firearms, firearm accessories, or ammunition from law-abiding citizens.

The legislation also includes misdemeanor criminal penalties if agents of the federal government attempt to enact gun control measures that violate the Constitution of the United States and State Constitution of Missouri.

Finally, the strongest 10th Amendment act we've seen. Good for Missouri. Hopefully other states will begin exercising their 10th Amendment rights to keep the federal government in check (at least to some degree.)

post #2491 of 2694

Quote:
The Internal Revenue Service's scrutiny of conservative groups went beyond those with "tea party" or "patriot" in their names—as the agency admitted Friday—to also include ones worried about government spending, debt or taxes, and even ones that lobbied to "make America a better place to live," according to new details of a government probe.

The investigation also revealed that a high-ranking IRS official knew as early as mid-2011 that conservative groups were being inappropriately targeted—nearly a year before then-IRS Commissioner Douglas Shulman told a congressional committee the agency wasn't targeting conservative groups.

post #2492 of 2694

post #2493 of 2694

post #2494 of 2694

Limiting freedoms to prepare you for Islam. Sad, and most likely unconstitutional. It says a lot that people can/should be punished no matter how irrational the person is who takes offence. 

We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #2495 of 2694

Looks to me like the bloggers hoped no one would bother to read the letter, because it doesn't say what they claim it does. Alternatively, they were too confused by page 8 of the document actually to read and understand the arguments and definitions, or even to comprehend the clearly stated distinction between sexual harassment and sexual harassment leading to a hostile environment, which underpins the findings and resolution. And the draconian measures listed appear to be a product of Volokh's imagination since none of the scenarios he lists are even mentioned in the letter.

post #2496 of 2694
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Looks to me like the bloggers hoped no one would bother to read the letter, because it doesn't say what they claim it does. Alternatively, they were too confused by page 8 of the document actually to read and understand the arguments and definitions, or even to comprehend the clearly stated distinction between sexual harassment and sexual harassment leading to a hostile environment, which underpins the findings and resolution. And the draconian measures listed appear to be a product of Volokh's imagination since none of the scenarios he lists are even mentioned in the letter.

Possibly they didn't expect people to read it it. It is a rather lengthy and loquacious legal document (evidently written by someone who was being paid by the word) with various references to other document and indirectly includes documents that include definitions from places like here, here and here; where some or all of those listed items are explicitly stated.

Granted, it would take a reasonable person days or weeks to unravel the the maze of legalese created here, but I don't think what's being parsed out by Volokh is at all an unreasonable interpretation.

Further, it is not and unprecedented approach to attempt to bury the needle of a much wider and broader interpretative framework within the haystack of legalese that mostly seems reasonable and proper. This happens all the time with bills/laws, etc.

post #2497 of 2694
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Possibly they didn't expect people to read it it. It is a rather lengthy and loquacious legal document (evidently written by someone who was being paid by the word) with various references to other document and indirectly includes documents that include definitions from places like here, here and here; where some or all of those listed items are explicitly stated.

Granted, it would take a reasonable person days or weeks to unravel the the maze of legalese created here, but I don't think what's being parsed out by Volokh is at all an unreasonable interpretation.

Further, it is not and unprecedented approach to attempt to bury the needle of a much wider and broader interpretative framework within the haystack of legalese that mostly seems reasonable and proper. This happens all the time with bills/laws, etc.

I don't disagree that the scenario you describe happens, but I do disagree that this letter represents a maze of legalese. Its basic findings and recommendations (or in some cases requirements) are quite clear on a single careful reading. I very much doubt that Volokh misunderstood it if he actually read it, in which case I'd have to conclude that he is being disingenuous in his analysis. The blog site was possibly over eager to run with that analysis.

post #2498 of 2694

Okay.

post #2499 of 2694

Everyone lies that is the norm now in the government.

post #2500 of 2694

Ten Thousand Dollars

Demonocracy.info - $10,000 - Ten Thousand Dollars

One Hundred Million Dollars

$100M Fits nicely on an ISO / Military standard sized pallet. 

The couch is made from $46.7 million of crispy $100 bills

Demonocracy.info - $100,000,000 - One Hundred Million Dollars

US Budget - Interest - $224.8 Billion

US Government in 2012 will spend about $450.3 Billion on interest on treasury debt securities (Government IOU's). It also receives $225.6 Billion in interest for its investments, leaving the Government with a balance of $224.8 billion to pay out. 

Demonocracy.info - US Budget - Interest - $224.8 Billion

US Budget - Total Spending - $3,795.6 Billion

Demonocracy.info - US Budget - Total Spending - $3,795.6 Billion

US Budget in 2011: $3,818,000,000,000

08-1_year_us_government_budget_spending-kleptocracy.us.jpg

~http://demonocracy.info/infographics/usa/us_government_budget/us_govt_budget.html

post #2501 of 2694

I think Hands is flirting with becoming a fiscal conservative.

post #2502 of 2694
Quote:

I think Hands is flirting with becoming a fiscal conservative.

II've always argued we should get rid of the debt, and I've shown how it could be done. The problem is their are too many teeth in the pie.

2012 Presidential Elections - Who gets the most money usually wins

Bank of New York Mellon - Derivative Exposure

Super PACs: 
Where the donations are spent

2012 Super Pac's Total Raised - American Crossroads, Priorities USA Action, Restore Our Future

USA's Deaths & War Costs

cost_of_war_iraq_afghanistan-usa.jpg

post #2503 of 2694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

II've always argued we should get rid of the debt, and I've shown how it could be done.

I guess I've missed that.

Quote:

The problem is their are too many teeth in the pie.

Indeed. Additionally a widespread disagreement about what the role of government is and should be doesn't help much.

post #2504 of 2694
Quote:

I guess I've missed that.

Indeed. Additionally a widespread disagreement about what the role of government is and should be doesn't help much.

Some of the main things would be to-

Cut military spending by 80%

Cut the prison population by 80%

Reduce health spending by 65% by adopting the same system as the UK.

Increase taxes on the top 15%-10% of the wealthiest American's by 50%, 10%-5% by 60% and 5%-1% by 70%. Decrease them for the lowest 70% by 25%.

Cut Homeland security by 90%.

post #2505 of 2694
Quote:

Some of the main things would be to-

Cut military spending by 80%

Cut the prison population by 80%

Reduce health spending by 65% by adopting the same system as the UK.

Increase taxes on the top 15%-10% of the wealthiest American's by 50%, 10%-5% by 60% and 5%-1% by 70%. Decrease them for the lowest 70% by 25%.

Cut Homeland security by 90%.

Yes - end wars and stop being an empire

Yes - end war on drugs

No - completely wrong and misguided...a free market in health care will be the best pathway to lowering costs, increasing quality and increasing choices...further the government shouldn't be paying for anything here anyway...so that could be reduced by 100% from a government spending perspective.

No - This is simply stupid and will reduce economic growth and prosperity...further, it will not garner the monies everyone thinks it will.

Yes - Though I'd say 100%

Finally, you've missed the biggest piece of the pie: Welfare. You sorta touched on it in the health care piece but recommended a "solution" that will make problems worse in that area. But you've largely ignored the rest of welfare.

post #2506 of 2694
Quote:

Yes - end wars and stop being an empire

Yes - end war on drugs

No - completely wrong and misguided...a free market in health care will be the best pathway to lowering costs, increasing quality and increasing choices...further the government shouldn't be paying for anything here anyway...so that could be reduced by 100% from a government spending perspective.

No - This is simply stupid and will reduce economic growth and prosperity...further, it will not garner the monies everyone thinks it will.

Yes - Though I'd say 100%

Finally, you've missed the biggest piece of the pie: Welfare. You sorta touched on it in the health care piece but recommended a "solution" that will make problems worse in that area. But you've largely ignored the rest of welfare.

Welfare is essential to keep people from starving and freezing to death. It should be the last thing on your list that you tackle. Presumably, you believe that through other policies, like de-regulation etc, people will have the means to look after themselves more. Until that happens, you'd have to keep welfare in place. Small scale welfare reforms could be implemented initially, but you're talking about basically getting rid of it all together. Pull that rug out early and face riots, strikes and general chaos.

The reduced output from from the wealthy would be offset by the increased in spending and investments by the poorest 70%. Remember that large sums of money in the hands of a few, just gets churned around in places like the stock market. That only has a limited benefit for GDP growth. For every $100 dollar a very wealthy person has, maybe it for example produces 1 unit of labour. For every $100 dollars a person has who's in the lower 70% of the population, 10 units of labour are produced. This is because the moneys spent on goods and services and for starting up small businesses etc.  

Edited by Hands Sandon - 6/8/13 at 1:07pm
post #2507 of 2694
Quote:

Welfare is essential to keep people from starving and freezing to death.

Enough with your non sequiturs already.

Quote:

Presumably, you believe that through other policies, like de-regulation etc, people will have the means to look after themselves more.

Of course. Taxes in this country (not to mention the welfare system) have done more damage in this country to the poor than poverty itself.

Quote:

Pull that rug out early and face riots, strikes and general chaos.

Of that I have no doubt. People get pissed when you take away their freebees.

Quote:

The reduced output from from the wealthy would be offset by the increased in spending and investments by the poorest 70%. Remember that large sums of money in the hands of a few, just gets churned around in places like the stock market. That only has a limited benefit for GDP growth. For every $100 dollar a very wealthy person has, maybe it for example produces 1 unit of labour. For every $100 dollars a person has who's in the lower 70% of the population, 10 units of labour are produced. This is because the moneys spent on goods and services and for starting up small businesses etc.

You're completely mistaken. It's obvious you don't understand how the economy actually works and grows. You have it entirely backwards. Production precedes consumption. It must. Production comes from investment which comes from deferred consumption. You, like much of the MSM, politicians and pretty much everyone on the political left, think it is exactly the opposite. But you're wrong. Which is all well and fine until we start creating policies centered around this profound misunderstanding. Because what happens is that things look okay...for a while...but like a slow illness, like a cancer, this destroys the wealth producing capacity of a society until it has regressed to a more primitive state. More simply put: Your proposal would be destructive of wealth and economic growth for most people...and mostly for the poor and middle class.

Edited by MJ1970 - 6/8/13 at 2:47pm

post #2508 of 2694
Quote:

Enough with your non sequiturs already.

Of course. Taxes in this country (not to mention the welfare system) have done more damage in this country to the poor than poverty itself.

Of that I have no doubt. People get pissed when you take away their freebees.

You're completely mistaken. It's obvious you don't understand how the economy actually works and grows. You have it entirely backwards. Production precedes consumption. It must. Production comes from investment which comes from deferred consumption. You, like much of the MSM, politicians and pretty much everyone on the political left, think it is exactly the opposite. But you're wrong. Which is all well and fine until we start creating policies centered around this profound misunderstanding. Because what happens is that things look okay...for a while...but like a slow illness, like a cancer, this destroys the wealth producing capacity of a society until it has regressed to a more primitive state. More simply put: Your proposal would be destructive of wealth and economic growth for most people...and mostly for the poor and middle class.

Oh, I see your point. People won't starve or end up homeless and dying from the cold, if they don't have work, because they can always steal stuff, sell drugs, pimp and/or become prostitutes, etc etc etc. 

Moving on...

Only a small amount of the very wealthiest's money helps drive the economy the way you are saying. That's the point here. More bang for your buck with 85% of the population having a bigger share of the wealth.

I guess to make things better in your book, let the rich pay less tax than the poor? They're the biggest job creators so they should pay less than people who simply just consume right?

post #2509 of 2694
Quote:

Oh, I see your point. People won't starve or end up homeless and dying from the cold, if they don't have work, because they can always steal stuff, sell drugs, pimp and/or become prostitutes, etc etc etc.

So you're doubling-down on your non sequiturs. Got it.

It's pretty hard to have a serious "discussion" with you if you keep doing that.

Quote:

Only a small amount of the very wealthiest's money helps drive the economy the way you are saying.

That's simply not true. Once again you don't seem to understand how the economy works.

Quote:

I guess to make things better in your book, let the rich pay less tax than the poor? They're the biggest job creators so they should pay less than people who simply just consume right?

Actually, I'm not saying that. If we must pay taxes, everyone should pay the same rate.

But you seem intent on:

• not understanding me
  • not understanding how the economy works
  • digging in and sticking to your guns on historically proven failures of fiscal policies
  • distorting and mis-represening what I'm saying, and...
  • generally engaging in logical fallacies

So you've proven why it was a poor decision for me to even address you.

post #2510 of 2694

That is Obama a big spender with our money.

post #2511 of 2694

Good decision from SCOTUS-

"The US supreme court has ruled unanimously that natural human genes cannot be patented, a decision that scientists and civil rights campaigners said removed a major barrier to patient care and medical innovation.

The court on Thursday held that human DNA was a "product of nature", a basic tool of scientific and technological work, thereby placing it beyond the domain of patent protection. It struck down patents held by Myriad Genetics Inc, a Utah company, on two genes linked to a higher risk of breast and ovarian cancer."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2013/jun/13/supreme-court-genes-patent-dna

post #2512 of 2694
Quote:

Good decision from SCOTUS-

"The US supreme court has ruled unanimously that natural human genes cannot be patented, a decision that scientists and civil rights campaigners said removed a major barrier to patient care and medical innovation.

The court on Thursday held that human DNA was a "product of nature", a basic tool of scientific and technological work, thereby placing it beyond the domain of patent protection. It struck down patents held by Myriad Genetics Inc, a Utah company, on two genes linked to a higher risk of breast and ovarian cancer."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2013/jun/13/supreme-court-genes-patent-dna

Certainly seems like a logical decision to me.  In fact, the "other" conclusion would have been frightening and bizarre.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #2513 of 2694

MJ's going to love this as he hates the minimum wage and this allows businesses to effectively get their money back, even after they'd paid their employees. JP Morgan are immoral greedy bastards too. I hope they burn in hell-

"A single mother who worked briefly at a northeastern Pennsylvania McDonald's franchise is suing the owners after she said she was given a fee-laden debit card and told that she must use it to access her earnings.

A lawyer filed a lawsuit Thursday in Luzerne County on behalf of Natalie Gunshannon and other employees, The Citizens' Voice and the Times Leader of Wilkes-Barre reported.

"I'm looking for the pay I am owed and for them to understand there has to be an option," Gunshannon, 27, told the Citizens' Voice.

Gunshannon was hired April 24 at the McDonald's in Shavertown and worked for a month before quitting. She was given her first paycheck and, along with it, the debit card. She said she did not sign the debit card or enroll in the payroll system because she believed the fees would reduce her future earnings to below minimum wage.

According to the lawsuit, the J.P. Morgan Chase payroll card carries fees for numerous transactions. They include a $1.50 minimum charge for an ATM withdrawal, $5 for an over-the-counter cash withdrawal, $1 to check the balance, 75 cents per online bill payment and $15 to replace a lost or stolen card."

Photo: N/A, License: N/A, Created: 2013:06:13 18:43:57

Photo: N/A, License: N/A, Created: 2013:06:13 17:44:55

post #2514 of 2694

We need you for a financial adviser instead of Lew who cares less about the average citizen and more about the rich and banks.

post #2515 of 2694
Quote:

MJ's going to love this as he hates the minimum wage and this allows businesses to effectively get their money back, even after they'd paid their employees.

That you think that demonstrates a profound misunderstanding of my position. Is willful or merely a product of laziness?

post #2516 of 2694

The contrast couldn't be more stunning.

On the one hand we watch private businesses "Jockey to Be the Most Transparent of All" despite the fact that they have undoubtedly been coerced by the government to hand over private data.

On the other hand we have the President claiming that a process that happens in secret and at undisclosed locations is "transparent."

Quote:
Asked in the interview whether the NSA's process should be more open, Obama said, "It is transparent. That's why we set up the FISA court."

That body, however, operates in secret, and its locations are considered classified. It has approved the vast majority of the requests it has received for warrants, though those orders are also kept secret.

Where is Bill Clinton when you need someone to parse the nuanced and fine points of definition and meaning around a word like "transparent."

post #2517 of 2694
Quote:

That you think that demonstrates a profound misunderstanding of my position. Is willful or merely a product of laziness?

Well, it was meant slightly tongue in cheek. I'm glad you aren't in favour of those cards. Both Democrats and Republicans are though. There needs to be new parties, the people out there who know their being led into a super controlled fascist world government, need to join forces and win. 

post #2518 of 2694

TS is still an obtuse piece of flotsam.

post #2519 of 2694

Well, this is some nonsense.  I'm sure there are several members of this forum who would leap to defend this revolting practice.

Quote:

'Spanking for Jesus' Is Exactly as Fucked Up as It Sounds

Christian Domestic Discipline, or CDD as its adherents call it, is a movement that seeks to carry out God's will. Which specific plan of God's? Oh, you know, just that all women obey their husbands fastidiously — a dynamic that CDD thinks is best maintained through doling out out corporal punishments. Its few thousand practitioners, however, claim that it's not domestic abuse.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #2520 of 2694

That is the intelligence of the voters in the states dumb!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Miscellaneous News.