or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Miscellaneous News.

Miscellaneous News. - Page 14

post #521 of 2694
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

IPriceless. What if? What if? What if?

My God. What a fucking unbelievably hypocritical statement from someone who said a woman without a gun would be raped and strangled but a woman with a gun would successfully defend herself.
post #522 of 2694
Quote:

This isn't obvious at all. Please provide some data that prove this "obvious" conclusion.

You've already done that, thanks.
post #523 of 2694
Another good one:

Quote:
1. Banning guns works, which is why New York, DC, and Chicago (and every other city) cops need guns.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #524 of 2694
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

My God. What a fucking unbelievably hypocritical statement from someone who said a woman without a gun would be raped and strangled but a woman with a gun would successfully defend herself.

I'm not being hypocritical...I'm mocking your ridiculous scenarios.

post #525 of 2694
Quote:

You've already done that, thanks.

I don't believe that data shows that correlation at all. But go ahead and show me how it does.

post #526 of 2694
Quote:

I'm not being hypocritical...I'm mocking your ridiculous scenarios.

Absolutely no more ridiculous than yours. Hence my mocking of your hypocrisy.
post #527 of 2694
Anyway we're done. I live in a safer place than you do. How would you propose to make your place as safe as mine? Or is it a lost cause?

The whole point of this side-track is to point out that gun ownership is not an automatic right when not enumerated as a right. So repealing the Second Amendment to further the cause of gun control would be a viable Constitutional act, and would not be counter to the ideal of limited government.
post #528 of 2694
Quote:

Absolutely no more ridiculous than yours. Hence my mocking of your hypocrisy.

Of course yours is more ridiculous. You've even admitted this earlier.

Admit it, you're opposed to people equipping themselves to defend themselves except by the means you deem appropriate.

post #529 of 2694
Quote:

Of course yours is more ridiculous. You've even admitted this earlier.

Admit it, you're opposed to people equipping themselves to defend themselves except by the means you deem appropriate.

I'm opposed to any action that on an overall scale costs more lives than it saves.
post #530 of 2694
Quote:

Anyway we're done. I live in a safer place than you do.

Maybe you do, maybe not.

Quote:

How would you propose to make your place as safe as mine?

Start moving the US to the same level of economic freedom that Hong Kong has?

post #531 of 2694
Quote:

Maybe you do, maybe not.

Ladies and Gentleman, denial is in the house.
post #532 of 2694
Quote:

Ladies and Gentleman, denial is in the house.

Well, since the US is not a homogeneous entity in this regard, how do you know what the statistics are where I live and how they compare to where you live? You have to admit you're making an assumption here. What is the intentional violent crime rate per 1,000 residents there?

post #533 of 2694
Quote:

Start moving the US to the same level of economic freedom that Hong Kong has?

What, with our 80% government subsidized public housing, universal health care, welfare, old age allowance, mandatory public education, mandatory retirement fund? Your head would explode.
post #534 of 2694
Quote:

What, with our 80% government subsidized public housing, universal health care, welfare, old age allowance, mandatory public education, mandatory retirement fund? Your head would explode.

Are you claiming that the US is more economically free than Hong Kong? By what measure?

post #535 of 2694
Quote:

Well, since the US is not a homogeneous entity in this regard, how do you know what the statistics are where I live and how they compare to where you live? You have to admit you're making an assumption here.

Do you venture outside? Do you limit where you go because of safety concerns?

I guarantee you that any district in Hong Kong has a lower incidence of violent crime than any metropolitan city in Arizona.

I'm not assuming anything.
post #536 of 2694
Quote:

Anyway we're done. I live in a safer place than you do.

If prison inmates can't have guns, then prisons should be even safer.
A is A
A is A
post #537 of 2694
Quote:

I guarantee you that any district in Hong Kong has a lower incidence of violent crime...

It sounds like the greater economic freedom of Hong Kong has served the citizens of Hong Kong very well.

Quote:

than any metropolitan city in Arizona.

I don't live in Arizona. Do you have the statistic?

post #538 of 2694
Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt View Post

If prison inmates can't have guns, then prisons should be even safer.

And a gun show would be the least safe.

post #539 of 2694
Tucson homicides from Aug. 1 to Sept. 8 [2010]

Pedro Rene Leon-Rodriguez, 32, was shot and killed Sept. 5 at a West Side mobile home park.

Jose G. Armenta, 61, was shot and killed and another man injured Sept. 3 following an altercation outside his home.

Thomas D. Wyman, 51, was found fatally stabbed Aug. 31 near a bus stop at North First Avenue and East Prince Road.

Michael A. Moreno, 25, was found dead in a courtyard Aug. 29 after a fight at Bella Vista Townhomes.

A man in his late teens to early 20s died Aug. 31 after being shot then dropped off at one hospital and transferred to another.

Darwin M. Wells, 36, was shot and killed Aug. 27 in the parking lot of the Golf Links apartment complex where he lived.

Christopher Montano, 27, was shot Aug. 26 while sitting in car near a food stand on East 36th Street.

Michael White, 20, was shot dead and three people wounded Aug. 25 during a home invasion at an East Side duplex.

Logan Kunkle, 24, was killed Aug. 20 during a robbery in an East Side home.

Kyle Jenkins, 16, was stabbed to death Aug. 19 after he and another teen were kicked off a Sun Tran bus for arguing.

Jorge Castillo, 36, was shot dead Aug. 18, allegedly by his stepson.

Anthony Duron, 21, was killed and four others injured Aug. 15 during an early morning shooting at Pearl Nightclub.

Julius Lat, 24, died Aug. 9, three days after he was shot during a group fight on the street.

Source
post #540 of 2694
Quote:

Are you claiming that the US is more economically free than Hong Kong? By what measure?

By your own reasoning, you're not forced to pay for other people's health care. You're not forced to pay for other people's housing, etc...

But of course there are other things we don't have to pay for, like national defense (we pay a marginal amount to support PLA troops) and wars on foreign countries.

Maybe if the US could stop spending on the stupid shit they could afford to pay for the important stuff.
post #541 of 2694
Quote:

By your own reasoning, you're not forced to pay for other people's health care. You're not forced to pay for other people's housing, etc...

Actually, I was referring to a more objective and comprehensive measure. I never claimed that Hong Kong did not have those things, and we could debate whether or not it could be better or worse of with or without them. But by a more comprehensive measure Hong Kong is more economically free than the US (even with those things.)

P.S. Doing a little searching on the health care situation in Hong Kong indicates that things are all roses and daisies. Link:

Quote:
Amidst the global debate on healthcare reform, Hong Kong has waded into the fray with a proposed “voluntary medical insurance” scheme aimed at alleviating the massive financial burdens faced by the city’s public healthcare network. The issue was first raised in late 2008, following in the wake of the Global Financial Crisis, and has now reached the penultimate stage of industry level discussion before a territory-wide consultation process can debate the measure later this year.

In talks with various Insurance industry and Healthcare experts, the government hopes that a voluntary insurance scheme would see at least 500,000 individuals take up the coverage, and massively reduce the strain currently faced by an over-burdened public healthcare system.

Quote:
some healthcare officials have raised the proposal that it may be possible for the government to subsidize the health insurance premiums of those individuals who do have pre-existing conditions, as a way to offset the higher than normal costs. Observers have suggested that this is no different from a publically funded healthcare system, and have emphasized the issue that the proposal is for “voluntary” private medical insurance, and is not an extension of the universal healthcare already in place for Hong Kong residents.

Quote:
With HK$ 50 Billion (US$ 6.41 Billion) in proposed start-up funds, the Voluntary Medical Insurance scheme aims to move people away from the public system towards highly competitive private medical services.

P.P.S. Doing a little searching on the Mandatory Provident Fund in Hong Kong shows that it only started in 2000. It's only a decade old so I'd suggest it is too early to judge it. The US system (Social Security) is much older and probably structured differently. So comparisons here are probably hard to make. It is really in the long term that these programs must be judged. In the short term they are almost always good.

P.P.P.S. Regarding public housing you seem to be assuming that it is necessary and/or that people would have now housing without it. I know that in the US public housing has been a flaming disaster. In HK things may be different. Regardless, it is begging the question to assume that it is necessary. I never claimed that HK could not improve in some ways.

post #542 of 2694
Quote:

Tucson homicides from Aug. 1 to Sept. 8 [2010]

Chicago homicides for the first half of 2010: 6 months, 217 deaths: Chicago Homicide Data

Through June of this year, it was illegal for anyone to own a gun in Chicago.

MSNBC Shocker: Firearms Deaths Fall As Gun Restrictions Ease

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sh...#ixzz10lYIKwOu

Quote:
The nation's highest gun homicide rates are in Washington, D.C., with 20.50 deaths per 100,000 people, five times the general rate. Yet the District of Columbia has the strictest gun-control laws in the nation. The lowest rate of gun-related homicides is in Utah: 1.12 deaths per 100,000 people. Utah’s gun-control policy is very unrestricted.
A is A
A is A
post #543 of 2694
I've got to sleep it's 5am.
post #544 of 2694
Quote:

I've got to sleep it's 5am.

Sleep well.
Quote:
"People sleep peaceably in their bed at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

- source uncertain, but attributed to George Orwell
A is A
A is A
post #545 of 2694
Study links bee decline to cell phones

Quote:
A new study has suggested that cell phone radiation may be contributing to declines in bee populations in some areas of the world.

Bee populations dropped 17 percent in the UK last year, according to the British Bee Association, and nearly 30 percent in the United States says the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Parasitic mites called varroa, agricultural pesticides and the effects of climate change have all been implicated in what has been dubbed "colony collapse disorder" (CCD).

But researchers in India believe cell phones could also be to blame for some of the losses.

[T]he UK's Mobile Operators Association -- which represents the UK's five mobile network operators -- told CNN: "Research scientists have already considered possible factors involved in CCD and have identified the areas for research into the causes of CCD which do not include exposure to radio waves."

Norman Carreck, Scientific director of the International Bee research Association at the UK's University of Sussex says it's still not clear how much radio waves affect bees.

"We know they are sensitive to magnetic fields. What we don't know is what use they actually make of them. And no one has yet demonstrated that honey bees use the earth's magnetic field when navigating," Carreck said.

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-06-30/w...om?_s=PM:WORLD
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
post #546 of 2694
Meanwhile, Rahm Emmanuel is about to be sent on a state visit to China where...

post #547 of 2694
Only police should be allowed to have buses. We've got to get those illegal buses off the streets.
A is A
A is A
post #548 of 2694
If the car were invented today it would be deemed too dangerous for public use.
post #549 of 2694
Quote:

Only police should be allowed to have buses. We've got to get those illegal buses off the streets.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was saying.
post #550 of 2694
Survey: Americans don't know much about religion

Quote:
A new survey of Americans' knowledge of religion found that atheists, agnostics, Jews and Mormons outperformed Protestants and Roman Catholics in answering questions about major religions, while many respondents could not correctly give the most basic tenets of their own faiths.

Forty-five percent of Roman Catholics who participated in the study didn't know that, according to church teaching, the bread and wine used in Holy Communion is not just a symbol, but becomes the body and blood of Christ.

More than half of Protestants could not identify Martin Luther as the person who inspired the Protestant Reformation. And about four in 10 Jews did not know that Maimonides, one of the greatest rabbis and intellectuals in history, was Jewish.

The survey released Tuesday by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life aimed to test a broad range of religious knowledge, including understanding of the Bible, core teachings of different faiths and major figures in religious history. The U.S. is one of the most religious countries in the developed world, especially compared to largely secular Western Europe, but faith leaders and educators have long lamented that Americans still know relatively little about religion.

Respondents to the survey were asked 32 questions with a range of difficulty, including whether they could name the Islamic holy book and the first book of the Bible, or say what century the Mormon religion was founded. On average, participants in the survey answered correctly overall for half of the survey questions.

Atheists and agnostics scored highest, with an average of 21 correct answers, while Jews and Mormons followed with about 20 accurate responses. Protestants overall averaged 16 correct answers, while Catholics followed with a score of about 15.

Not surprisingly, those who said they attended worship at least once a week and considered religion important in their lives often performed better on the overall survey. However, level of education was the best predictor of religious knowledge. The top-performing groups on the survey still came out ahead even when controlling for how much schooling they had completed.

On questions about Christianity, Mormons scored the highest, with an average of about eight correct answers out of 12, followed by white evangelicals, with an average of just over seven correct answers. Jews, along with atheists and agnostics, knew the most about other faiths, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism and Judaism. Less than half of Americans know that the Dalai Lama is Buddhist, and less than four in 10 know that Vishnu and Shiva are part of Hinduism.

The study also found that many Americans don't understand constitutional restrictions on religion in public schools. While a majority know that public school teachers cannot lead classes in prayer, less than a quarter know that the U.S. Supreme Court has clearly stated that teachers can read from the Bible as an example of literature.

"Many Americans think the constitutional restrictions on religion in public schools are tighter than they really are," Pew researchers wrote.

The survey of 3,412 people, conducted between May and June of this year, had a margin of error of plus or minus 2.5 percentage points, while the margins of error for individual religious groups was higher.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #551 of 2694
Quote:

The more you know .........

amazing but obvious.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #552 of 2694
Quote:

Every several years the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life releases the same type of poll; routinely alleging that Americans "don't know much" about religion and bills itself as an alleged non-partisan entity, the ultimate arbiter, in its words, on trends in religion in this nation. The fact is it is in the interest of the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life to release such polls, negative and/or positive, as that it what it thrives on; not to directly dispute the Pew findings one way or the other but who put the the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life up as an authority or a non-partisan polling outfit? The Pew forum is simply one of several information analysis centers (this one on religion) in Washington; and before one believes its Yahoo-posted alleged findings on religion you might want to investigate the many other information and data centers on religion in this nation, or go to the religious and or faith centers themselves to find out directly.
post #553 of 2694

post #554 of 2694
post #555 of 2694
Quote:

"Violent Fearful People who are too scared to commit violence themselves sleep peaceably in their bed at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."l

Fixed it for you.

Not Orwell btw.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #556 of 2694
Read more: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...#ixzz10riUuHgc

Quote:
The worm has targeted the Siemens industrial control systems that are used in Iranian and other countries' facilities by exploiting a security gap in Microsoft Windows.

Wait, it gets better... the plant was built in Russia
A is A
A is A
post #557 of 2694
It appears that at least some progressives are waking up to a key Obama character trait:

Progressives: Obama remarks are condescending

post #558 of 2694
Obama argues his assassination program is a "state secret":

Quote:
At this point, I didn't believe it was possible, but the Obama administration has just reached an all-new low in its abysmal civil liberties record. In response to the lawsuit filed by Anwar Awlaki's father asking a court to enjoin the President from assassinating his son, a U.S. citizen, without any due process, the administration late last night, according to The Washington Post, filed a brief asking the court to dismiss the lawsuit without hearing the merits of the claims. That's not surprising: both the Bush and Obama administrations have repeatedly insisted that their secret conduct is legal but nonetheless urge courts not to even rule on its legality.

But what's most notable here is that one of the arguments the Obama DOJ raises to demand dismissal of this lawsuit is "state secrets": in other words, not only does the President have the right to sentence Americans to death with no due process or charges of any kind, but his decisions as to who will be killed and why he wants them dead are "state secrets," and thus no court may adjudicate their legality.

Quote:
Obama supporters who are dutifully insisting that the President not only has the right to order American citizens killed without due process, but to do so in total secrecy, on the ground that Awlaki is a Terrorist and Traitor, are embracing those accusations without having the slightest idea whether they're actually true. All they know is that Obama has issued these accusations, which is good enough for them. That's the authoritarian mind, by definition: if the Leader accuses a fellow citizen of something, then it's true -- no trial or any due process at all is needed and there is no need even for judicial review before the decreed sentence is meted out, even when the sentence is death.

Quote:
This one sentence from the Post article nicely summarizes the state of Obama's civil liberties record:

Quote:
The Obama administration has cited the state-secrets argument in at least three cases since taking office - in defense of Bush-era warrantless wiretapping, surveillance of an Islamic charity, and the torture and rendition of CIA prisoners.

And now, in this case, Obama uses this secrecy and immunity weapon not to shield Bush lawlessness from judicial review, but his own.

post #559 of 2694
Uninformed government bureaucrat completely misunderstands the immigration issue:

Obama: Lets not turn illegal immigration into an us and them issue
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/75930
post #560 of 2694

September 30, 2010

Quote:
"It is said the American people never vote for, but just love to vote against,"

The New York Times in 1932.

It's Not Un-American To Vote 'Against' Things
by LINTON WEEKS

Quote:
[W]hen we go to the polls, it should be no surprise that we might vote against rather than for a purpose or position.

Of course, being against something is not always a negative stance. In fact, it can often be positive.

"It is certainly legitimate and reasonable to be motivated by opposition, particularly to issues," says Abraham M. Rutchick of California State University, Northridge, a social psychologist who studies voting habits.

more @ http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=130210284
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Miscellaneous News.