or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Miscellaneous News.

Miscellaneous News. - Page 18

post #681 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

There are no more excuses for California taking months past the deadline to pass a state budget.

That's what it sounds like. For the people of California, I hope so.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #682 of 2700
Obama invites GOP leaders to meeting on economic, nuclear issues
By Anne E. Kornblut
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, November 4, 2010; 10:38 AM

Quote:
President Obama has invited the Republican leadership to the White House for a bipartisan meeting Nov. 18 to begin discussing the way forward after the mid-term elections.

Quote:
"It's not just going to be a photo-op. Hopefully it may spill over into dinner," Obama said.

On the agenda will be economic issues - the administration hopes to resolve the fate of expiring Bush tax cuts, among other things - as well as nuclear nonproliferation, Obama told reporters at the end of a Cabinet meeting Thursday. The invitation is noteworthy for a president who does not typically socialize with other politicians and has not had to meet with empowered Republicans since taking office.

Additionally, Obama has invited newly elected governors from both parties to the White House on Dec. 2.

Quote:
"People are still catching their breath" from the election, Obama said. But, he said: "The American people don't want us just standing still. They don't want us engaged in gridlock."

Find common ground and move on from there. Hint [borrowed from the Rolling Stones]:

Quote:
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes you just might find
You just might find
You get what [the people] need
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
post #683 of 2700
The Food Nazis are out in San Francisco: Happy Meal Ban in San Francisco: Food Police or Fat Fighter?

post #684 of 2700
Quote:

Obama invites GOP leaders to meeting on economic, nuclear issues
By Anne E. Kornblut
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, November 4, 2010; 10:38 AM

Find common ground and move on from there. Hint [borrowed from the Rolling Stones]:

It's almost like that is what he ran on and promised to do two years ago.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #685 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

But now he has more reasons to really try. Last time he thought he had a mandate since the Dems controlled both houses. The Republicans aren't going to get all they want either, you have the Senate and then there's the veto---need 2/3 to override. Then there's reapportionment, which I mentioned in another thread. Looks like 2012 will be an interesting year---and not because of Dec. 2012 Mayan Calendar myth.
post #686 of 2700
Quote:

But now he has more reasons to really try. Last time he thought he had a mandate since the Dems controlled both houses. The Republicans aren't going to get all they want either, you have the Senate and then there's the veto---need 2/3 to override. Then there's reapportionment, which I mentioned in another thread. Looks like 2012 will be an interesting year---and not because of Dec. 2012 Mayan Calendar myth.

Help me.

I've encountered a FT reply with words from him. It is not just an empty post full of links, pictures, and quotes with no conclusions.

I've not encountered this before. I'm not sure how to proceed.

He had plenty of reason to do this before. His platform was about hope, change, and being bipartisan because he was postpartisan.

It sometimes takes a big thumping to help people remember their campaign promises. If Obama starts keeping his then his positives should improve and thus the possibility of reelection. The American people have such a short memory when it comes to these matters. Two years down the road Obama could be smelling like roses in part thanks to his work with a Republican House.

post #687 of 2700
Quote:

He had plenty of reason to do this before. His platform was about hope, change, and being bipartisan because he was postpartisan.

It sometimes takes a big thumping to help people remember their campaign promises. If Obama starts keeping his then his positives should improve and thus the possibility of reelection. The American people have such a short memory when it comes to these matters. Two years down the road Obama could be smelling like roses in part thanks to his work with a Republican House.

I think we can agree on this. Some of the Dems will probably ease up on their agenda, and be looking at 2012.

Quote:

I've encountered a FT reply with words from him. It is not just an empty post full of links, pictures, and quotes with no conclusions.

But you never really answered the question---circumvented it, but never answered it. No reason for me to comment on your responses since they were not answers to the question---do you really want to go back to this.

Regarding the post and links with no comment, I thought that you could read and come to your own conclusions and comment---but I was wrong---sorry for assuming you had the intelligence---more pictures then???
post #688 of 2700
Quote:

I think we can agree on this. Some of the Dems will probably ease up on their agenda, and be looking at 2012.

I wouldn't suggest that this is just swings unless you want as many people giving you crap in 2012 as are giving Jimmac crap now. Plus that must have been the shortest swing ever. The Dems had control of the House for a whole 4 years.

Quote:
But you never really answered the question---circumvented it, but never answered it. No reason for me to comment on your responses since they were not answers to the question---do you really want to go back to this.

Regarding the post and links with no comment, I thought that you could read and come to your own conclusions and comment---but I was wrong---sorry for assuming you had the intelligence---more pictures then???

Boy are you the sore sport. By definition if you are asking for proof, then you are asking one to prove the answer they have stated. I fully stated a conclusion. You wanted proof of the conclusion. I even gave a detailed analysis of the conclusion. However proof requires agreement with the conclusion and then we go forward from there.

As for just tossing stuff out with no thoughts or analysis, there's a reason we have RSS feeds. You can do better than that.

post #689 of 2700
Quote:

I wouldn't suggest that this is just swings unless you want as many people giving you crap in 2012 as are giving Jimmac crap now. Plus that must have been the shortest swing ever. The Dems had control of the House for a whole 4 years.

Not predicting anything. A lot of things can happen in two years. The pendulum swings depending upon the mood of the voters and who they think are the root cause of the problems--whether rightfully or perceived.

Quote:

Boy are you the sore sport. By definition if you are asking for proof, then you are asking one to prove the answer they have stated. I fully stated a conclusion. You wanted proof of the conclusion. I even gave a detailed analysis of the conclusion. However proof requires agreement with the conclusion and then we go forward from there.

As for just tossing stuff out with no thoughts or analysis, there's a reason we have RSS feeds. You can do better than that.

Not sore at all, but you were the one who brought this back......suggest that you or anyone else who wants to pursue this further go back over the last three, four or five pages---otherwise move on.
post #690 of 2700
Probe sweeps past 'space peanut'
By Jonathan Amos
Science correspondent, BBC News

Quote:
Nasa's Deep Impact probe has flown by Comet Hartley 2.

The first pictures revealed a roughly 1.5km-long, peanut-shaped object with jets of gas streaming from its surface.

The pass, which occurred about 23 million km from Earth, was only the fifth time a spacecraft had made a close approach to a comet.

Nasa said it would take many hours to retrieve all of the data recorded by Deep Impact's two visible-light imagers and one infrared sensor.

But the initial pictures to get to ground gave a fascinating view of the comet's icy body, or nucleus.

"Scientists often think of celestial bodies as roundish, and this obviously is not - it's peanut-like," commented Dr Don Yoemans, who manages Nasa's Near-Earth Object programme. "Mother Nature has once again pulled the rug out from under scientific ideas."

The information from the flyby should give scientists further insight into the diverse properties and behaviours of what are some of the Solar System's most remarkable objects....

Sometimes it's nice to "'slip the surly bonds of earth", leave earthly problems behind us and see the universe. Simply amazing space photos.
post #691 of 2700
Quote:

The repubs got lots in the healthcare bill but because they didn't manage to get everything they tried to thwart it. They'd have to write the bills in their entirety to vote for them and then and only then if it was presented by a repub. They're not out for what's best, there out to block Obama and that's it.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #692 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

The repubs got lots in the healthcare bill but because they didn't manage to get everything they tried to thwart it.

I don't believe the facts support that statement Hands. House Republicans proposed hundreds of amendments to the legislation while it was being drafted. They proposed allowing insurance companies to sell across state lines, expanded HSAs, tort reform, tax credits for individuals, reforms ending disqualification for pre-existing conditions, and many, many other sound ideas. All of them were completely ignored without so much as a debate. Republicans asked for a 72 hour review of the bill's thousands of pages prior to voting on it. That was denied. They asked for a simple debate regarding the bill's constitutionality. That too was denied. Several Democrats supported these proposals as well, but they too were denied by the majority.

House rules require a majority vote to even introduce a proposal. Proposing a bill of their own was never a feasibility.

Quote:
They're not out for what's best, there out to block Obama and that's it.

Many moderate Republicans were open to compromise, but the Democrats had no need for it. At the time, Mitch McConnell commented the Ds had "no interest in drafting a bill that was in the political middle." Obama and his Democrat-dominated Congress saw their majority as a mandate to do whatever they pleased, their constituency be damned.

This difference of opinion served to open a gaping chasm between the two parties. Those near the middle - those willing to compromise to craft a bill with bipartisan support - fell into the abyss last Tuesday. It's not likely we'll see many Congressmen on either side sitting near the middle of the road any time soon.

Any chance for Republicans to work with Obama, instead of stonewalling his agenda, was squandered by the Pelosi-led extremists. What we're now left with is a very divided Congress, represented by extremes on the left and the right, working in an atmosphere poisoned by the manner in which Pelosi's Democrats conducted themselves over the past two years.

---

http://www.gop.gov/solutions/healthcare
http://www.wibw.com/nationalnews/hea.../78649232.html
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...s-on-abortion/
http://prescriptions.blogs.nytimes.c...re-amendments/
http://prescriptions.blogs.nytimes.c...al-amendments/
A is A
A is A
post #693 of 2700

In US end of Daylight Savings Time---set your clocks back. Of course cel phones and computers this is done for you.
post #694 of 2700
Arizona doesn't observe DST. One of the many reasons I love this state.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #695 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Arizona doesn't observe DST. One of the many reasons I love this state.

Seriously?????

Live there do you????

post #696 of 2700
Quote:

Seriously?????

Sure. Many warmer climates don't bother - such as HI, AZ, PR, American Samoa, USVI, there may be others.

Conversely, there are some places that observe "DST" all year 'round. They're typically in colder places (Iceland for instance).
A is A
A is A
post #697 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt View Post

Sure. Many warmer climates don't bother - such as HI, AZ, PR, American Samoa, USVI, there may be others.

Conversely, there are some places that observe "DST" all year 'round. They're typically in colder places (Iceland for instance).

Is it really climate related? AZ, NV, NM share similar weather. HI, PR, LA, MI, GA, FL sub-tropical to tropical weather.

AK is cold, do they observe DST?

So is it really climate related?

Although not used by most of the world's people, daylight saving time is common in the Northern Hemisphere high latitudes.
Blue DST observed
Orange DST no longer observed
Red DST never observed
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time
post #698 of 2700
Collaring a new breed of police dog
By John M. Glionna,
Los Angeles Times
November 7, 2010

Quote:
Jindo dogs, from a South Korean island, are getting a tryout with the LAPD after K-9 officers traveled to Asia to choose four pups.

For years, the LAPD has relied mostly on such European bloodlines as German and Dutch shepherds and Belgian Malinois. But the handlers are conducting an experiment of sorts: gauging whether Jindo dogs native to this isolated island have the instincts for big-city police work an often dangerous job that includes weapons detection and chasing down armed criminals.

Brought to Korea by invading Mongolian armies in the 13th century, the midsize Jindos are known for their intelligence and hunting skills. They're so beloved here that they've been declared a cultural treasure.

Although breeders three years ago began promoting Jindos as potentially the newest generation of K-9 dog, even Korean police have yet to use them. During a July visit to the U.S., breeders offered four dogs free of charge to police departments in Los Angeles and Glendale, making arrangements to bypass a law that makes it difficult, and often illegal, to export purebred Jindos from South Korea.
post #699 of 2700

Slave-making ants target the strong not the weak

By Ella Davies
Earth News reporter

Quote:
Ants were observed actively choosing to attack larger, better defended colonies over smaller, weaker ones.
Scientists suggest that the intelligent ants identify strong defences as a sign of a strong population.
By conducting fewer raids on strongly defended targets, the slave-making ants actually limit the risks and come away with the most pupae to enslave.
In small slavemaker colonies consisting of one queen, two to five workers and 30 to 60 slaves, scout ants were very valuable.
It was essential that scouts made the right decision about suitable raid targets or "host colonies" without being discovered and attacked.
"Losing a single worker might very likely be synonymous with losing half of the colony members," Mr Pohl told the BBC.
Therefore, a smaller number of scouting events and subsequent raids presented the lowest risk to the slavemaker colony.
From their behaviour, researchers suggested that the scout ants associated strong colonies with high numbers of pupae and a high benefit.
The tactic of fewer raids on stronger targets consequently offered the best risk to benefit ratio.
post #700 of 2700
Flier Patience Wears Thin at Checkpoints:

Quote:
As the Transportation Security Administration scrambles to address vulnerabilities in procedures for screening cargo, it is facing growing criticism from travel industry groups over the escalating security measures for passengers.

In recent weeks, representatives from the International Air Transport Association, the U.S. Travel Association, the Allied Pilots Association and British Airways have criticized the T.S.A., saying it adds intrusive and time-consuming layers of scrutiny at airport checkpoints, without effectively addressing legitimate security concerns.

The U.S. Travel Association, in fact, is worried that the more onerous screening process will discourage air travel.

Quote:
Specifically, they point to the new body scanners that are replacing metal detectors — which have raised privacy and health concerns, as well as prompted legal challenges — and the more invasive pat-downs, which have set off complaints about disrespectful treatment by agents.

“I think people want to say enough is enough, but they’re worried that they’re going to be perceived as weak on security,” Mr. Freeman said.

Quote:
“Discouraging travelers with queues into the parking lot is not a solution,” Mr. Bisignani said in his speech. “And it is not acceptable to treat passengers as terrorists until they prove themselves innocent.”

Quote:
“I’m not taking as many trips,” Professor Dieter said. “And my European friends are avoiding the U.S. because of the hassle.”

Quote:
And the president of the Allied Pilots Association, Dave Bates, sent a letter to members suggesting that they refuse to submit to the body imaging scanners based on privacy objections and the potential health risks of repeated exposure to radiation.

But when all else fails, never skip the chance to blame your customers:

Quote:
“We can’t deny that travelers are part of the problem,” said Mr. Freeman, of the U.S. Travel Association. “Travelers have to take some responsibility for making the process better.”

Personally I am choosing to avoid air travel until this crap gets scaled back. I refused to be porn-scanned or fondled by the TSA.

post #701 of 2700
Apparently today there was something that looked like a missile fired off the coast of soutehr California and this was one summary:

Quote:
A video that appears to show a missile launch off the coast of California is so far 'unexplained' by anyone in the military, Pentagon officials say, but they insist there was 'no threat to the homeland.'

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it just a little creepy when you here a government official refer to our country as 'the homeland?'

I was never fond of the "Department of Homeland Security" for many reasons, but one among them was this naming that felt a little too much like "der Vaterland."

post #702 of 2700
Bush cricket testicle size clue to promiscuous mating
By Jason Palmer
Science reporter, BBC News

Quote:
Scientists have found a bushcricket species with testicles that account for up to 14% of its body weight.

It is the animal with the biggest testicles in relation to its body weight, they write in Biology Letters.
post #703 of 2700
Student riots hit London.

I'm not surprised - this is exactly what happens when you get a Right-wing government. First they hit the poor and the under-privileged to line the pockets of the rich, then people react, then riot police start attacking people.

Looks like the protesters have broken into Tory Party HQ and are smashing it up!! Great!!!!

LIVE COVERAGE
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #704 of 2700
You insinuate that those on the Right will commit acts of violence and destruction against society en masse any day now. Hasn't happened.

But when leftists actually riot you blame the Right for provoking them and actually encourage and applaud their actions.

It's really hard to take you seriously, cego.

post #705 of 2700
Quote:

You insinuate that those on the Right will commit acts of violence and destruction against society en masse any day now. Hasn't happened.

But when leftists actually riot you blame the Right for provoking them and actually encourage and applaud their actions.

It's really hard to take you seriously, cego.

I'm just being devil's advocate... you don't know what my political leanings are do you? I don't think I've ever stated them and it would be hard for a truly objective observer to discern I think.

Besides, no-one on here can be taken seriously - only those who've realized there's no point - but I am not interested in that; I live in hope of someday some serious debate occurring.

I know it's not possible but I still can't stop watching the skies. It's become an addiction.
post #706 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Looks like the protesters have broken into Tory Party HQ and are smashing it up!! Great!!!!

Quote:

I'm just being devil's advocate... you don't know what my political leanings are do you? I don't think I've ever stated them and it would be hard for a truly objective observer to discern I think.

It's never been hard to discern. But even by leftist standards, applauding violence like that is despicable.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #707 of 2700
Quote:

Student riots hit London.

I'm not surprised - this is exactly what happens when you get a Right-wing government. First they hit the poor and the under-privileged to line the pockets of the rich, then people react, then riot police start attacking people.

LIVE COVERAGE

UC regents approve fee hike amid loud student protests
In 2009, the Board of Regents to the University of California decided to raise student fees 32% raising the total to about $10,300. On top of this there were reductions in the number of classes offered.

Rage at UC fee hike in L.A., Berkeley protests

Fees for 2010-2011 are expected to increase 8%.
post #708 of 2700

post #709 of 2700
Quote:

UC regents approve fee hike amid loud student protests
In 2009, the Board of Regents to the University of California decided to raise student fees 32% raising the total to about $10,300. On top of this there were reductions in the number of classes offered.

Rage at UC fee hike in L.A., Berkeley protests

Fees for 2010-2011 are expected to increase 8%.

There should be rage but a good chunk of it should be the students directing it at themselves and at the bloated universities they attend. These schools have so many duplicate and useless degree programs and they are all within the same system. With debts as large as Californias, not every UC and CSU needs a department of Spanish Feminist Poetry.

post #710 of 2700
To all you VETERANS---THANK YOU

FT---USAF '66-'70
post #711 of 2700
G20 agrees to address 'currency wars'

Quote:
The G20 group of countries agrees to avoid "competitive devaluation" of currencies but falls short of limiting trade deficits.

post #712 of 2700
School Makes Boy Take American Flag Off Bike

Quote:
November 12, 2010
DENAIR -

13-year-old Cody Alicea rides with an American flag on the back of his bike. He says he does this to be patriotic and to honor veterans, like his own grandfather, Robert. He's had the flag on his bike for two months but Monday, was asked told to take it down.

A school official at Denair Middle School told Cody some students had been complaining about the flag and it was no longer allowed on school property.

"In this country we're supposed to be free," said Cody. "And I should be able to wave my flag wherever I want to. And they're telling me I can't."

Cody's grandfather says the school was concerned about racial tensions or uprisings because of the flag. He feels if there was really a problem it should have been brought up two months ago, not during Veterans week.

"No action should be taken. We don't want any repercussion," said Roger. "We just want Cody to be proud of what he's doing."

post #713 of 2700
Quote:

I guess you support the right of the boy to have the US flag on his bicycle? I believe that the boy has every right to have it on his bicycle as it is the right under the Freedom of Speech. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the US flag still displayed in each class room?

If some take offense to the display of the US flag, they have the right to protest, however it should not over-ride the rights of the boy.

Two thumbs up to the boy--keep the flag on your bike.
post #714 of 2700
Quote:

Seems fair enough...don't get it?
post #715 of 2700
Quote:

Seems fair enough...don't get it?

What seems fair? What don't you get?

post #716 of 2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

What seems fair? What don't you get?

Fair enough to ban it if there' going to be aggro...
post #717 of 2700
Quote:

post #718 of 2700
Quote:

I have to admit that the article doesn't make it clear who is protesting or what they think is offensive about the US flag, however I guess it's an American thing that I support the kids right to display the US flag on his bike. The other kids? also have the right to take offense of displaying the flag, however their rights should not supersede the right to display it in the first place. The kids who take offense need to grow up and move on.
post #719 of 2700
Indeed. You do not have a right to not be offended.

post #720 of 2700
Quote:

Indeed. You do not have a right to not be offended.

Well, then give people the right to act on their offense and I'm with you.

Right now the legality seems to be this:

1) Everyone has the right to offend other people up to and including the point of them becoming enraged.

2) if the person targetted acts on that rage then they are committing a crime

Doesn't sound the right to me.

If someone has the right to call me a wanker I want the right to punch their lights out.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Miscellaneous News.