or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Miscellaneous News.

Miscellaneous News. - Page 19

post #721 of 2683
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Well, then give people the right to act on their offense and I'm with you.

Right now the legality seems to be this:

1) Everyone has the right to offend other people up to and including the point of them becoming enraged.

2) if the person targetted acts on that rage then they are committing a crime

Correct.

Quote:

Doesn't sound the right to me.

Well, it certainly doesn't seem fair. I also agree the people should use their right of free expression in civilized ways. But they don't always. There are also, at least in the US, certain reasonable limits on free speech (e.g., slander/libel and "fire in a crowded theater", etc.)

Quote:

If someone has the right to call me a wanker I want the right to punch their lights out.

Sure. Everyone wants that right. But you don't have it. Sorry.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #722 of 2683
Losses double for U.S. Postal Service:

Quote:
The Postal Service said its net loss totaled $8.5 billion in the fiscal year that ended Sept. 30. That compares to a loss of $3.8 billion the prior year.

The Postal Service blamed the deeper losses on the recession and on the continuing growth of e-mail. A change in the interest rates affecting the Postal Service's workers' compensation liability also played a role, the organization said.

Quote:
As more communications go electronic, mail volume keeps dropping. The Postal Service delivered 170.6 billion pieces in its 2010 fiscal year, compared to 176.7 billion pieces the prior year. That decline cost the service around $1 billion in lost revenue.

Quote:
Postal Service spokeswoman Joanne Veto said her organization has asked Congress to allow it to scale back to five-day delivery, cutting Saturdays, and to discontinue its "unique" requirement to pre-fund its retirement fund -- something no other federal agency is required to do.

Congress has taken no action on these requests, she said.

post #723 of 2683
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

I have to admit that the article doesn't make it clear who is protesting or what they think is offensive about the US flag, however I guess it's an American thing that I support the kids right to display the US flag on his bike. The other kids? also have the right to take offense of displaying the flag, however their rights should not supersede the right to display it in the first place. The kids who take offense need to grow up and move on.

Agreed. (Except for the idea that it's an American thing only...)
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #724 of 2683
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Losses double for U.S. Postal Service:

Let's let these guys run a national healthcare system. What could go wrong?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #725 of 2683
Nazis Were Given Safe Haven in U.S., Report Says

Quote:
WASHINGTON A secret history of the United States governments Nazi-hunting operation concludes that American intelligence officials created a safe haven in the United States for Nazis and their collaborators after World War II, and it details decades of clashes, often hidden, with other nations over war criminals here and abroad.

The 600-page report, which the Justice Department has tried to keep secret for four years, provides new evidence about more than two dozen of the most notorious Nazi cases of the last three decades.

It describes the governments posthumous pursuit of Dr. Josef Mengele, the so-called Angel of Death at Auschwitz, part of whose scalp was kept in a Justice Department officials drawer; the vigilante killing of a former Waffen SS soldier in New Jersey; and the governments mistaken identification of the Treblinka concentration camp guard known as Ivan the Terrible.....
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
post #726 of 2683
Chocolate industry avoids collapse as genome published

Quote:
The public release of the genome of the cacao tree - from which chocolate is made - will save the chocolate industry from collapse, a scientist has said....

Now correlations between certain characteristics - such as disease and drought resistance or higher proportions of healthier fats - can be made in the field with the benefit of relatively inexpensive laboratory equipment. In this way, each region ensures it has strains that will produce the most, and the best, cocoa....

Higher yields will free up land for other under-utilised crops in the region such as yams, sorghum and plantains. Dr Shapiro sees such small changes - that a chocolate consumer never sees - as a tangible human benefit of science-driven agriculture.

"It gives you social stability in the rural sector, it gives you cultural stability that doesn't break up the rural sector, it gives you environmental stabilty because we're reducing the risk to the environment from agricultural chemistry, it gives you ecological stability because we're protecting the remnant forest, it also sequesters carbon," he said.
post #727 of 2683
Danish astronomer Tycho Brahe exhumed to solve mystery
The body of a 16th Century Danish astronomer is being exhumed in Prague to confirm the cause of his death.

Quote:
Tycho Brahe was a Danish nobleman who served as royal mathematician to the Bohemian Emperor Rudolf II.

He was thought to have died of a bladder infection, but a previous exhumation found traces of mercury in his hair.

A team of Danish and Czech scientists hope to solve the mystery by analysing bone, hair and clothing samples......

He was long thought to have died of a bladder infection, which legend suggests was contracted 11 days previously.....

His body has been exhumed before, in 1901. Tests on a sample of hair from his moustache, taken at that time, have been conducted as recently as the 1990s and indicated unusually high levels of mercury.

Brahe was also an alchemist and some have suggested that he would have handled mercury and may have administered it to himself as medicine.

Others have suggested he was poisoned.

In the past, the finger of suspicion has fallen on his assistant, Johannes Kepler, who later became a renowned astronomer himself.

More recently a theory has surfaced that the astronomer was killed on the orders of the Danish king, Christian IV, because Brahe had allegedly had an affair with the king's mother.
post #728 of 2683
Demonic device converts information to energy

Quote:
The laws of physics say that you can't get energy for nothing worse still, you will always get out of a system less energy than you put in. But a nanoscale experiment inspired by a nineteenth-century paradox that seemed to break those laws now shows that you can generate energy from information....
post #729 of 2683

post #730 of 2683
The truth about oil-less turkey fryers

Quote:
No matter how much you pre-plan the Thanksgiving menu, there never seems to be enough oven space. If you have a big backyard, and it's not too painfully cold outside, you might consider deep-fried turkey. We were also curious about oil-less turkey fryers, and whether they lived up to their promises. If so, they'd be a great contender for the job and allow you to devote a whole oven shelf to more stuffing. We tested out the Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turkey Fryer ($99).

Here in the US, many take part in Thanksgiving. Never too early to consider how to cook the turkey.

post #731 of 2683
A warning for you smokers out there:

post #732 of 2683
Quote:

Ah yes. More of the left's violent imagery about things they don't like or approve of. Good stuff.

post #733 of 2683
Quote:

Ah yes. More of the left's violent imagery about things they don't like or approve of. Good stuff.

Come on....lighten up......BTW I'm not what you would call a leftie.

OBTW...IMHO....SMOKING IS BAD FOR YOU......IF YOU ARE A SMOKER, I'D APPRECIATE THAT YOU KEEP YOUR SMOKE CONFINED TO YOUR BREATHING SPACE AND LEAVE MINE ALONE.

post #734 of 2683
Quote:

Come on....lighten up......BTW I'm not what you would call a leftie.

I wasn't accusing you of being a lefty (unless you came up with the cartoon or...more importantly...the new warnings for cigarette packages.)

Quote:

OBTW...IMHO....SMOKING IS BAD FOR YOU......IF YOU ARE A SMOKER, I'D APPRECIATE THAT YOU KEEP YOUR SMOKE CONFINED TO YOUR BREATHING SPACE AND LEAVE MINE ALONE.

I know. I don't. I appreciate the same from smokers.

post #735 of 2683

post #736 of 2683
Leaked DOJ report reveals Nazi 'safe havens' in US
Ann Riley

Quote:
[JURIST] A report revealing that US intelligence officials knowingly allowed Nazis to settle in US "safe havens" after World War II was released Saturday by the New York Times after being leaked by former Department of Justice (DOJ) officials. The 600-page report describes the actions of the DOJ's Office of Special Investigations (OSI), created in 1979 to deport Nazis, and documents cases of Nazis who were aided by US officials. According to the report, Nazi persecutors gained entry to the US even though government officials were aware of their backgrounds. Senior DOJ lawyer Mark Richard, responsible for editing the final version, convinced then-attorney general Janet Reno to commission the report in 1999. Although Richard urged senior officials to make the report public until his death, the DOJ has resisted releasing the report since 2006. Director of the National Security Archive Tom Blanton, said:
Embarrassment suffered by public officials is the price they pay for public power. It goes with the territory, but here, their coverup is not nearly as bad as the crime, which was to shelter Nazi war criminals in the name of national security. This the public needs to know and has a right to know.
In November 2009, the National Security Archive submitted a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA),5 USC § 552, request for the history of the OSI. The DOJ denied the request on the grounds that the report fell under exemptions to the FOIA as it was a deliberative and pre-decisional document that was never finalized or approved by the assistant attorney general. The National Security Archive appealed the decision and, in May 2010, subsequently filed suit in the US District Court for the District of Columbia. Under the threat of a lawsuit, the DOJ then released a redacted version of the document.
post #737 of 2683
THE HOTTEST YEAR

Quote:
I like to think the worst is over, but its coming up to the first anniversary and its some- thing Ill always remember at this time of year, when the nights close in. This is the time it happened......

Can Jones offer any advice to research scientists who wake up one morning to find themselves the centre of a worldwide scientific scandal? "I don't know that I can. The thing to point out is that whatever you try to do, the goalposts keep moving." As soon as he responded to one criticism, another popped up.

Jones has steadily begun to piece together his professional as well as his personal life. The discovery of the sudden Atlantic cooling was recently published in Nature3 and he has started to attend conferences again. He agrees to pose for photographs outside the CRU building, gazing at the blue sky. Then he shuffles back into the relative calm of his unit: one scientist who now realizes his castle walls cannot completely shield him from the outside world.

'Climategate' scientist speaks out
post #738 of 2683
Nudie-scan CEO an Obama ally:

Quote:
Rapiscan is one of the two companies that makes the nudie-scanners at airports for the TSA. Rapiscan CEO Deepak Chopra (who has the same name as the more famous Deepak Chopra, M.D.) recently was tapped by Obama to accompany the administration on Obamas trip to India.

Also, Chopra is an Obama donor.

And, of course, good ol' Michael Chertoff is also a financial beneficiary of these Rapiscan devices. His security consulting company, The Chertoff Group, represents this (and other) company.

post #739 of 2683
Quote:

How about this?

post #740 of 2683
Dethroning The King: How Bud Got Bought Out

Quote:
Sports fans and party-goers who enjoy Budweiser beer may not realize that their iconic King of Beers is no longer American. The story of how international firm InBev bought Anheuser-Busch is the subject of a new book.

As she tells Morning Edition co-host Steve Inskeep, the Busch family, figureheads of the 150-year-old company, were unable to stop it from happening.

"The strange reality of it was that the family owned only about 4 percent of the stock," MacIntosh says.

"And a lot of the employees were shocked when InBev made its bid, that the Busches actually had no power whatsoever" to stop it, she says.
post #741 of 2683
Quote:

I thought it was bad to take a single image and use it to smear an entire swathe of the American public?
post #742 of 2683
Quote:

You would think that they are trying to tell you something:

FDA Wants Your Input on Cigarette Warnings

Quote:
Where to See the Warnings and Where to Comment
To view the warning labels, go to: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fdaphot...7625232230587/
To submit comments on the warning labels and the proposed rulebetween Friday, Nov. 12, 2010, through Tuesday, Jan. 11, 2011:
Go to www.regulations.gov and insert docket number FDA-2010-N-0568 into the search box and follow the prompts.
Send a fax, with your comments, to 301-827-6870.
Mail/Hand delivery/Courier (for paper, disk, or CD-ROM submissions) to the Division of Dockets Management (HFA-305), Food and Drug Administration, 5630 Fishers Lane, Room 1061, Rockville, MD 20852.
All comments should be identified by Docket ID No. FDA-2010-N-0568. It is only necessary to send one set of comments.
This article appears on FDA's Consumer Updates page, which features the latest on all FDA-regulated products.

post #743 of 2683
Rangel Found Guilty Of Ethics Violations

Quote:
Rep. Charles Rangel, once one of the most influential House members, was convicted Tuesday on 11 counts of breaking ethics rules and now faces punishment.
An ethics panel of eight House peers deliberated over two days before delivering a jarring blow to the 20-term New York Democrat's career. The 80-year-old Rangel was charged with 13 counts of financial and fundraising misconduct.

post #744 of 2683
The next great victory for the Tea Party?

Making sure Bristol Palin wins Dancing With The Stars, no matter what the judges think!

The Culture War Goes Ballroom
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #745 of 2683

post #746 of 2683
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

How about this?

Very true that's why I thought to win the election Obama should have supported Tea Party candidates.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #747 of 2683
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerLurker View Post

The next great victory for the Tea Party?

Making sure Bristol Palin wins Dancing With The Stars, no matter what the judges think!

Apparently, non-Tea Party types are taking the show kind of seriously as well.
post #748 of 2683
Plight of the bumblebee

Quote:
In a bid to curb the rapid decline in 10% of wild North American bumblebee species, international researchers have agreed on the key scientific priorities that will drive the next steps including the establishment of a body to push forward research.

The United States and Canada are home to about 50 species of native bumblebees (genus Bombus), which are important wild pollinators of fruit and vegetable crops. Several species have been domesticated and used for commercial pollination in tomato greenhouses. Honeybees tend to perform poorly in tomato pollination.
post #749 of 2683
Scientists claim breakthrough in antimatter hunt

Quote:
GENEVA Scientists claimed a breakthrough Thursday in solving one of the biggest riddles of physics, successfully trapping the first "anti-atom" in a quest to understand what happened to all the antimatter that has vanished since the Big Bang.

An international team of physicists at the European Organization for Nuclear Research, or CERN, managed to create an atom of anti-hydrogen and then hold onto it for long enough to demonstrate that it can be studied in the lab.

post #750 of 2683
Quote:

USA, number one ... ooops....
I am sure this is a left wing hoax conspiracy.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #751 of 2683
Ethics Committee Votes 9-1 To Censure Rangel

Quote:
The ethics committee five Democrats and five Republicans has agreed to the recommendation of its chief counsel, voting that Rep. Charles Rangel be censured by the full House for 11 violations of House rules. The vote was 9-1....
A censure is the strongest penalty that could have been issued short of expulsion. Rep. James Traficant, an Ohio Democrat, was expelled by the House for bribery and other crimes in 2002......
Rangel was easily elected to his 21st term earlier this month with about 80 percent of the vote.

post #752 of 2683
How China has put Liu Xiaobo's Nobel Peace Prize in the limelight

Quote:
Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo and his family are not expected to be allowed to attend the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony. But China's opposition to the award has brought even more attention to it, some say.

Beijing's angry reaction to imprisoned Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo's Nobel Peace Prize was seemingly intended to downplay this year's award, but instead it's adding new importance to Mr. Liu's upcoming Nobel ceremony in Oslo.

If, as is now expected, Liu nor his family attend the Dec. 10 event, says Norwegian Nobel Institute Executive Director Geir Lundestad, it will be the first time that no one is present to collect the prize since it went to German pacifist Carl von Ossietzky 75 years ago, who wasn't allowed to leave his country. In other controversial cases, representatives picked up awards for the missing laureates.

Quote:
Everybody understands why he is not here, says Mr. Lundestad. There is no negative significance at all, it only makes the message even stronger. It could turn out to be positive, unfortunately.
post #753 of 2683
"Violent protests against UN peacekeepers and Haiti's government are disrupting efforts to control the cholera epidemic, with fears that unrest will worsen in the runup to next week's election.

Riots in the north of the country spread to Port-au-Prince on Thursday, smothering swaths of the capital in choking black smoke from burning barricades.

UN staff were forbidden to venture out while crowds roved the streets tearing down election posters, erecting roadblocks and demanding the withdrawal of foreign peacekeepers who are suspected of bringing a disease that has killed 1,100 and infected more than 20,000 since last month.

Helicopters clattered over Port-au-Prince today monitoring the city for fresh flareups. Trucks and armoured vehicles with blue-helmeted troops, as well as Haitian police with shields and helmets, patrolled the streets.

"This is insane, how are we supposed to contain a cholera outbreak like this?" said one UN administrator.

In Cap-Haïtien, a northern city where the riots started earlier this week, people who were vomiting and had diarrhoea were unable to reach treatment clinics. Local media reported that bodies of those who succumbed were left on the streets.

"If the country explodes in violence then we will not be able to reach the people we need to," said Julie Schindall, an Oxfam spokeswoman.

Haitians believe peacekeepers from Nepal, which has cholera, flushed contaminated faeces from base latrines into the Artibonite river, triggering the outbreak. DNA fingerprinting has confirmed it is a south Asian strain which came from a single source. Travellers from Haiti brought cholera to the neighbouring Dominican Republic and Florida this week but authorities said controls and good sanitation should contain the disease. Ten inmates died in the overcrowded national prison in Port-au-Prince, raising fears for the health of 2,000 other inmates."
~ http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...demic-protests
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

post #754 of 2683
World Toilet Day: Top 10 nations lacking toilets

Quote:
See a lot of people squatting in the open today? Don't be offended. The so-called "big squat" was held worldwide to coincide with the 10th annual World Toilet Day, an initiative to bring awareness to the need for adequate sanitary facilities.

Every day, some 1.1 billion people go to the bathroom without any type of toilet, according to the World Health Organization. And even with a toilet, facilities are not necessarily sanitary. WaterAid America estimates that roughly 2.5 billion people nearly 40 percent of the global population do their business unsafely, often in public spaces.

World Toilet Day is organized by the Singapore-based World Toilet Organization, which has 235 member organizations in 58 countries "working toward eliminating the toilet taboo and delivering sustainable sanitation." Here's a list of the world's worst nations in terms of people lacking access to sanitary facilities.

post #755 of 2683
North Koreans Unveil Vast New Plant for Nuclear Use
Quote:
WASHINGTON North Korea showed a visiting American nuclear scientist last week a vast new facility it secretly and rapidly built to enrich uranium, confronting the Obama administration with the prospect that the country is preparing to expand its nuclear arsenal or build a far more powerful type of atomic bomb.

Whether the calculated revelation is a negotiating ploy by North Korea or a signal that it plans to accelerate its weapons program even as it goes through a perilous leadership change, it creates a new challenge for President Obama at a moment when his program for gradual, global nuclear disarmament appears imperiled at home and abroad. The administration hurriedly began to brief allies and lawmakers on Friday and Saturday and braced for an international debate over the repercussions......

Administration officials said they had no intention of reopening negotiations with the North unless it demonstrated a seriousness of purpose and constructive action to live up to its past promises to dismantle its nuclear facilities.

Another possibility, which administration officials declined to discuss, is that the North ultimately intends to build a new generation of hydrogen bombs or thermonuclear weapons, far more powerful than anything in its current arsenal.

The Norths current arsenal of 8 to 12 weapons are all based on plutonium. But uranium, enriched to bomb grade, can also be used to drastically increase the destructive power of a nuclear blast, and that is the main use of uranium in modern arsenals, including United States warheads.

Experts caution, however, that true hydrogen bombs are quite hard to make, so it seems unlikely that North Korea would succeed in that anytime soon.
post #756 of 2683
In other news, pigs flew, hell froze over, and the Pope said condoms might not always be wrong.
post #757 of 2683
The Queen's favourite may soon be back on the table-

"However, Mr Chase, who has enjoyed significant success with both his crisps and vodka businesses, believes it could be a success if run for a smaller more select market. He told The Sunday Telegraph: "Malvern is a Great British brand with such an incredible provenance behind it."
Malvern water has long been associated with the Royal family, carries the Royal warrant and was reportedly taken by the Queen on foreign visits."
~ http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...the-Queen.html

post #758 of 2683
Abbas rules out talks without full settlement freeze
Quote:
The Palestinian leader, Mahmoud Abbas, has ruled out returning to peace talks with the Israelis unless they stop building settlements in all occupied territories.

What were they thinking with the resumption of building settlements on the West Bank, peace?
post #759 of 2683
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

In other news, pigs flew, hell froze over, and the Pope said condoms might not always be wrong.

Here's an explanation when it might be acceptable:

post #760 of 2683

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Miscellaneous News.