or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › US Army leaders visit Apple campus to discuss future mobile devices
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

US Army leaders visit Apple campus to discuss future mobile devices - Page 2

post #41 of 130
Baby boomers, the generation that invented flexi-morals. Like parents who partied like wild, were liberals, then became corporate lawyers and now that they have some wealth to defend against the lower classes vote republican and prevent their kids from having the same amount of fun they had when they were young.

Apple, from rainbow-colored hippie, hacker and pirate outfit, where interviews included questions about getting laid and acid trips, to a corporate giant that sells a Disney-fied public image (app store censorship, preventing users from truly owning their device though lack of root access) while supplying the worlds most murderous organized crime syndicate (and that's a fact substantiated by international law to which the US is a signatory, so this isn't a "political" assessment, its a legal one)

Good going, guys! Money over ethics, way to go! Truly, another icon of a generation reveals its true nature. Makes you wonder about that 1984 ad...
post #42 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

Just to clarify -

The US military is called "Defense" but in reality it is all about offense - attacking and subjugating countries that would not attack us, unless of course we provoked them.

Can you believe we (occupy) have bases in over 100 countries. Vietnam was never a threat yet we invaded them and subjected American citizens to slavery, er I mean a draft, to fulfill objectives of the old men in charge. We conquered and invaded Iraq on deliberately false pretense and show no sign of getting out. Even 9/11 was a response to significant American meddling in Middle Eastern affairs - so we invaded Afghanistan and are now we are stuck there.

It's disappointing to see Apple get involved with the treacherous (but very lucrative) tentacacles of the US military. But hey, stock price will go up on this news, so that's all that matters!

While I think the recent military conflicts have a lot to be desired, I can only guess (imo) that you may have missed the page in the history books from a few decades ago about had the US not exercised its military might (including the draft), we might all be speaking German or Japanese right now in what would have been an even more dictatorial government. Thankfully, it's an opinion only which like you, I'm exercising my right to do so.

Enjoy your freedom of speech. It came at a cost and always will. If you think throwing flowers or foul language at the enemy will dissuade them from causing harm or invading our soil, by all means I would love to put you on the front-line and test your belief. While our government is far from perfect, I'll choose living here in the USofA anytime compared to other countries with dysfunctional governments.

That being said, if anyone can provide an incredible user-experience using technology that can make our kids in the military safer, it would be Apple. I look forward to what they can do. It would certainly be more cutting edge that what even Apple would normally due for the average consumer product.
post #43 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

Next time someone threatens the US I say you go talk to them.

Yes but look at the big picture! If you don't we will continue to repeat history.
post #44 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Yes, please drop the politics and religion.

I abandoned another Mac daily news site because it became a political gutter; there was zero Apple or tech discussion. We don't need that to happen here too.

If you feel a need to soapbox, fine. Please find a better place to do it.

As for Apple and the military, America's armed forces will be demobilized well within a decade. It'll be interesting to see what stateside uses this technology will have.

Its one thread out of a thousand. If this gets out of hand I am sure AppleInsider moderators will shut it down. Sometimes its good to have a healthy discussion on politics and religion even on an Apple news site. I don't see this getting out of hand at. Besides it helps the posters get to know each other even better.
post #45 of 130
They can probably pick up some tips on confidentiality and secrecy too.
post #46 of 130
Regarding a militarized iPad, which finger gesture will launch the cruise missile ? A two finger swipe or three finger pinch?
post #47 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

Baby boomers, the generation that invented flexi-morals. Like parents who partied like wild, were liberals, then became corporate lawyers and now that they have some wealth to defend against the lower classes vote republican and prevent their kids from having the same amount of fun they had when they were young.

Apple, from rainbow-colored hippie, hacker and pirate outfit, where interviews included questions about getting laid and acid trips, to a corporate giant that sells a Disney-fied public image (app store censorship, preventing users from truly owning their device though lack of root access) while supplying the worlds most murderous organized crime syndicate (and that's a fact substantiated by international law to which the US is a signatory, so this isn't a "political" assessment, its a legal one)

Good going, guys! Money over ethics, way to go! Truly, another icon of a generation reveals its true nature. Makes you wonder about that 1984 ad...

Great post. Times change and things change and what's important changes to each and every one. To be successful in business one needs to make money.
post #48 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

USAF reserves? Go Air Force! Did mine 66'-70'(active).

Oregon Air Guard. (Photographer) 03-present. Was active Army from 95-98. Then I saw the light..
post #49 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Leaders of the U.S. Army's technology command visited Apple's Cupertino, Calif., campus earlier this month to talk about existing products, including the forthcoming iPad, and the development of new, user-friendly technology for use on the front lines.

The army is just another customer. The fact that the army is involved in all sorts of questionable activities around the world matters little. It is a branch of government, after all. I am sure Apple sells to many companies involved in business that many would find distasteful, or immoral, and that would sometimes even be deemed illegal were it scrutinized. It really has nothing to do with Apple per se. The fact that the Army comes knocking on Apple's door does mean that at this point Apple is doing something right in terms of the technical and physical qualities of their products. If the visit turns into a large contract then good for Apple. SJ and many Apple followers may be justified in asking themselves whether these sales truly would make 'the world a better place', but the question is loaded and complicated and belongs somewhere else. Morals, ethics, politics and philosophy are big subjects. When mixed with business and capitalism I am not sure a simple and happy answer can be found. There are very few absolutes.
post #50 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Speaking of security (and deliberately going off topic) the PWN2OWN competition starts in 7 minutes.

PWN2OWN update:
Vincenzo Iozzo and Ralf Philipp Weinmann successfully exploit the iPhone via Safari! Their payload pulled the SMS database.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #51 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Regarding a militarized iPad, which finger gesture will launch the cruise missile ? A two finger swipe or three finger pinch?

Hopefully all three will launch something.
You need anti-air missiles, and ground based tow missiles too - different gestures for each.

The three finger swipe was to be used for tear gassing hippy protesters, but since they are working to extinct themselves, there's no reason it can't be repurposed for grenades and bombs instead. On the water levels maybe it controls a harpoon or something.
post #52 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Regarding a militarized iPad, which finger gesture will launch the cruise missile ? A two finger swipe or three finger pinch?

A middle finger salute.
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
post #53 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

Baby boomers, the generation that invented flexi-morals. Like parents who partied like wild, were liberals, then became corporate lawyers and now that they have some wealth to defend against the lower classes vote republican and prevent their kids from having the same amount of fun they had when they were young.

Apple, from rainbow-colored hippie, hacker and pirate outfit, where interviews included questions about getting laid and acid trips, to a corporate giant that sells a Disney-fied public image (app store censorship, preventing users from truly owning their device though lack of root access) while supplying the worlds most murderous organized crime syndicate (and that's a fact substantiated by international law to which the US is a signatory, so this isn't a "political" assessment, its a legal one)

Good going, guys! Money over ethics, way to go! Truly, another icon of a generation reveals its true nature. Makes you wonder about that 1984 ad...

I took the time to read all of your previous posts. Not a single positive one in the bunch. Every one either a "closed system" diatribe or a complaint. Nothing positive, only rants.

You are free to not purchase anything from Apple. You have that right you know. You are also free to visit the user forums of companies who are more to your liking and ideology instead being miserable and negative here. But you choose to post here. Strange.
post #54 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

Just to clarify -

The US military is called "Defense" but in reality it is all about offense - attacking and subjugating countries that would not attack us, unless of course we provoked them.

Can you believe we (occupy) have bases in over 100 countries. Vietnam was never a threat yet we invaded them and subjected American citizens to slavery, er I mean a draft, to fulfill objectives of the old men in charge. We conquered and invaded Iraq on deliberately false pretense and show no sign of getting out. Even 9/11 was a response to significant American meddling in Middle Eastern affairs - so we invaded Afghanistan and are now we are stuck there.

It's disappointing to see Apple get involved with the treacherous (but very lucrative) tentacacles of the US military. But hey, stock price will go up on this news, so that's all that matters!

Regardless of your views on the military role of the US around the globe, it is important to get two critical fact straight: (i) The US military is controlled by civilian politicians; (ii) If they are asked to do something -- how well or poorly it gets implemented is a separate issue -- they do not have the luxury of saying 'no.' They just have to do it.

Move along.
post #55 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajack7 View Post

They can probably pick up some tips on confidentiality and secrecy too.

post #56 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

Baby boomers, the generation that invented flexi-morals. Like parents who partied like wild, were liberals, then became corporate lawyers and now that they have some wealth to defend against the lower classes vote republican and prevent their kids from having the same amount of fun they had when they were young.

Apple, from rainbow-colored hippie, hacker and pirate outfit, where interviews included questions about getting laid and acid trips, to a corporate giant that sells a Disney-fied public image (app store censorship, preventing users from truly owning their device though lack of root access) while supplying the worlds most murderous organized crime syndicate (and that's a fact substantiated by international law to which the US is a signatory, so this isn't a "political" assessment, its a legal one)

Good going, guys! Money over ethics, way to go! Truly, another icon of a generation reveals its true nature. Makes you wonder about that 1984 ad...

Yeah, you should go try and talk to Al Qaeda/Taliban, and bring them over to your point of view.
post #57 of 130
Apple will be developing the iBomb and the iJet.
post #58 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

Obama uses a Blackberry. Did he screw up?

"Did he screw up?"... When has he not?!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #59 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

we might all be speaking German or Japanese right now

I always hear that, and sort of laugh. Like speaking either of those languages would somehow be a bad thing? Since English would never disappear completely, most would probably be bilingual -- a pretty good thing.

Quote:
in what would have been an even more dictatorial government.

Ask the guys at Wikileaks about that, or the guys in Cuba, or the communications company saving this post right now for NSA review (preview?) Or maybe approach your major news network or newspaper, that's owned by a large company who takes cues from government officials, and whose reporters know saying the wrong thing will mean getting fired -- even if it means 'honest journalism.'

There's freedom, illusion of freedom, and flat out heavy handed authoritarian government (that makes it a point to highlight its punishments for disloyalty). US is an example of the second, but slowly moving toward the later.
post #60 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah, you should go try and talk to Al Qaeda/Taliban, and bring them over to your point of view.

You mean like in the 80s? Maybe someone should have just minded their own fucking business, period.
post #61 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

PWN2OWN update:
Vincenzo Iozzo and Ralf Philipp Weinmann successfully exploit the iPhone via Safari! Their payload pulled the SMS database.


Charles Miller will win again on Safari on the Mac.

He stated he found 20 exploits for Safari and Preview.


Shaming Apple doesn't seem to work, it's looking like another Microsoft now.

Somebody should tell the Army.
post #62 of 130
Maybe this explains Apple hiring Richard DeVaul last week. He's a wearable computing expert and that could be Apple's next frontier. The Army has been looking at wearable computers for a while, including in its Future Force Warrior project.
post #63 of 130
Protecting us from harm while insuring our freedom is serious business. It's wonderful that the military is choosing Apple, because when your in extremely dangerous situations you want something that's incredibly reliable.
post #64 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

"Did he screw up?"... When has he not?!

When he introduced Universal Healthcare.

It's about damn time.
post #65 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Maybe this explains Apple hiring Richard DeVaul last week. He's a wearable computing expert and that could be Apple's next frontier. The Army has been looking at wearable computers for a while, including in its Future Force Warrior project.

Good thinking, Kolchak.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #66 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

Charles Miller will win again on Safari on the Mac.

He stated he found 20 exploits for Safari and Preview.


Shaming Apple doesn't seem to work, it's looking like another Microsoft now.

Somebody should tell the Army.

Shaming for what? For being the safest consumer computing platform on the planet?

Nine years and still going strong.
post #67 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

..., then I think you must agree that it was the stupidest military tactic ever.

Did you look at the U.S. deficit lately?
post #68 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

I always hear that, and sort of laugh. Like speaking either of those languages would somehow be a bad thing? Since English would never disappear completely, most would probably be bilingual -- a pretty good thing.

My point is that had the US done nothing back then, then either Germany or Japan would have made the US their next target and taken over. I was not implying that the country would speak that language literally, but to an occupation. The US even helped rebuild their countries after the war was over. How many other countries would even bother doing that?

You seem to brush off history and only cherry-pick the pieces that support your rant. Responding to the rest of your post would just be pointless.
post #69 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

Oregon Air Guard. (Photographer) 03-present. Was active Army from 95-98. Then I saw the light..

Do you use film or are you into digital photography? I feel like a dinosaur preferring film over digital. , true digital has some great advantages, but worry that history is being lost because technology is moving so fast some of the digital media will be lost. You will still have the old negative or photograph 100 years from now.

But back to the topic so I'm not accused of getting off topic. I can't see why the USAF is not using more advanced OS's and I would think that they would develop a unix based system.
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
post #70 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

When he introduced Universal Healthcare.

It's about damn time.

Universal iPads!
Why am I working?
post #71 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Shaming for what? For being the safest consumer computing platform on the planet?

Nine years and still going strong.

Except its not inherently safer than a PC, Miller proves this every year. I'm not complaining since i use Snow Leopard as my main OS, but you wont see me going willy-nilly downloading torrents like its going out of style or visiting questionable sites.

Macs are just as easily exploited as other PCs, we just see less of them due to market share distribution, this quote sums its up best, "Mac OS X is like living in a farmhouse in the country with no locks, and Windows is living in a house with bars on the windows in the bad part of town. Charlie Miller
post #72 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

You seem to brush off history and only cherry-pick the pieces that support your rant. Responding to the rest of your post would just be pointless.

It might have been better to have ignore it altogether.

But back to the topic, Apple does not have any choice to whom it markets its products to. If the military, however ask Apple to design a guidance system, then that's is different but it's not my call--not a stock holder--d*mit.
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
post #73 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Did you look at the U.S. deficit lately?

So? Even if they had managed to rally all Muslims into a war against us, it only helps our economy. It's how we got out of the Great Depression after FDR's New Deal didn't work and caused unemployment to increase & prolong the financial collapse. Basic economics trump the loftiest political re-interpretations. Its a fair bet that the conflicts in the Middle East helped sustain the economy and prolong feeling repercussions from negative effects of the credit/housing debacle.

As a tactic, 9/11 lost Al-Queda all their key-people, land, money and prominence (seen Bin Laden in a while? Good chance he's been dead for 4-5 years buried under rock in cave)... and that with only a moderate engagement, hardly the full might of the US Army or the American people. They didn't even get to benefit from turning this one incident into a sustained tactic. In the big picture, kinda like getting a bee sting, yeah it hurts, but you just go into the backyard and nuke the hive. Even if they manage to sting you 5-10 more times, it's still Game over.
post #74 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

Why am I working?

You work?
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
post #75 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

So? .... It's how we got out of the Great Depression after FDR's New Deal didn't work and caused unemployment to increase & prolong the financial collapse. Basic economics trump the loftiest political re-interpretations. ................

So we got into WWII to get out of the Depression? We start wars to keep the economy going?

Protracted wars drag down the economy--that's what happened when we were involved in Vier Nam through 3 presidencies.

Now about military applications of the iPhone--has GPS doesn't it? Wouldn't know since i just jave a regular cell phone (still on topic).
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
post #76 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Except its not inherently safer than a PC, Miller proves this every year. I'm not complaining since i use Snow Leopard as my main OS, but you wont see me going willy-nilly downloading torrents like its going out of style or visiting questionable sites.

Macs are just as easily exploited as other PCs, we just see less of them due to market share distribution, this quote sums its up best, "Mac OS X is like living in a farmhouse in the country with no locks, and Windows is living in a house with bars on the windows in the bad part of town. Charlie Miller

Wrong. He's no threat to any Mac or network.

"I don't have the skills to do anything of actual value, but I can do some stupid, low-level things on an already compromised Mac at a hobbyist convention, then hype it to an ignorant, reactionary tech press for free time/coverage, to make my expertise & consulting business seem more important." -Charles Miller
post #77 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

Hey AI, April 1st is next week.

Ummm they said Apples are more secure and just works.

If it was to be an April fools joke they would have said Windows PCs are more secure and just works.
post #78 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Way to go helping your enemy, but that tends to happen when you kill 3000 foreign citizens.

Really? You really want to play the moral high ground? How many civilians has America slaughtered in unjust wars?

How many civilians were killed by American napalm bombs in Vietnam? How many civilians were slaughtered by America in the Gulf War as well as Afghanistan and Iraq in recent history?

You're whinging and moaning about 3000 Americans when America slaughters that on any given day during their wars?

Quit being so high and mighty and learn the real history not that propaganda that your government spews out and you lot lap up.
post #79 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Wrong. He's no threat to any Mac or network.

"I don't have the skills to do anything of actual value, but I can do some stupid, low-level things on an already compromised Mac at a hobbyist convention, then hype it to an ignorant, reactionary tech press for free time/coverage, to make my expertise & consulting business seem more important." -Charles Miller

He is no threat to the mac platform. Last i had checked he just does this for publicity (just like all the others) but simply put he and others easily exploit any platform WITHOUT physical access, all a user needs to do is screw up and hit a wrong website and their done.

In the latest news, iPhone/Safari/IE8/Firefox have all been brought down this year thus far.
post #80 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

PWN2OWN update:
Vincenzo Iozzo and Ralf Philipp Weinmann successfully exploit the iPhone via Safari! Their payload pulled the SMS database.

How much of that was actually done onsite and how much of that was done BEFORE the conference started?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › US Army leaders visit Apple campus to discuss future mobile devices