or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › "ALL" of America is against this bill.

"ALL" of America is against this bill.

post #1 of 50
What America was John BOehNER talking about?

Because for every person they showed on TV against it, there seemed to be someone else for it.

So what is it then?
Are there two different Americas we're talking about?

If ALL of America was against it, then does that mean all those other people happy for it aren't Americans?

When they say "The American People" who are they talking about?
post #2 of 50
America

Real America (Palin's)

Amarica (Bachmann's)

Boehner's speech was horrible, yet so exemplary of the state of the GOP.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #3 of 50
They probably see it as " All of America that coiunts for anything " You know, their part..
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #4 of 50
I've heard many advocates for the "reform" say the same thing, that "all of America" is for it.

That, of course, is also not true.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #5 of 50
I thought I also read about someone implying that the "real patriots" were the ones supporting Obama and ObamaCare.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #6 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

I thought I also read about someone implying that the "real patriots" were the ones supporting Obama and ObamaCare.

Well that's not anymore true than when the right was saying you're " anti american " if you don't support the war in Iraq.
post #7 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Well that's not anymore true than when the right was saying you're " anti american " if you don't support the war in Iraq.

Then we agree. Obama shouldn't have made this implication. Good. Well, there's one thing we agree about.

post #8 of 50
Maybe Boehner means that even American's that are strongly for the bill are publicly against the bill.

Example, Romney- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6DrH...layer_embedded
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #9 of 50
Quote:

Then we agree. Obama shouldn't have made this implication. Good. Well, there's one thing we agree about.

Before on your statement it was :
Quote:

Do you have a link to the quote because the " Anti American " statements were not implied?
post #10 of 50
Quote:

Before on your statement it was :

Do you have a link to the quote because the " Anti American " statements were not implied?

Full text of President Obama's speech on health insurance

post #11 of 50
You're either with US, or you're with the insurance companies. With 40,000 lobbyists on their side, and none for the people, its obvious which way this was going to go.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #12 of 50

So you couldn't find the part you're talking about? I mean it's your claim so it's up to you to provide the proof.
post #13 of 50
Quote:
THE PRESIDENT: Thank you, everybody. Its good to be back with some real Patriots.

Sigh...
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #14 of 50
This was a speech at George Mason university's sports center. And what are George Mason's sports teams called? Eagles? Gophers?
post #15 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

This was a speech at George Mason university's sports center. And what are George Mason's sports teams called? Eagles? Gophers?

That's right. He was simply referring to their sports team nickname. (nudge nudge wink wink)

post #16 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

The question was asked as if it was very difficult to find in the article. Not saying what his point was, just being a help for those who cannot seem to find a line that was nearly the first thing said...
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #17 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Sigh...

Yikes! How dare Obama take a jab at those who say that they are the real patriots.
post #18 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Yikes! How dare Obama take a jab at those who say that they are the real patriots.

And again... Sigh.... \
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #19 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

And again... Sigh.... \

Yeah, because he's taking the piss. About time too!
post #20 of 50
Quote:

Yeah, because he's taking the piss. About time too!

The sigh was aimed at you, not "him"...
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #21 of 50
How does this;

Quote:
Thank you, everybody. It’s good to be back with some real Patriots.

morph into this;

Quote:

Is this how it was reported on Faux Noise?

Watch out, as I've got you "in my sights."

That's a joke... I say, that's a joke, son.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #22 of 50
Reminds me of the "terrorist fist jab?" by the Fauxy Blonde.

Plant the seed, even if wrong... it might take hold.

post #23 of 50
so when is Rush moving to Costa Rica? He did say he would move if the bill got passed and while he is on his way there, someone remind him that they have national health care over there.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #24 of 50
That's right. He was simply referring to their sports team nickname. (nudge nudge wink wink)

It's called a double entendre. It's a figure of speech in which a spoken phrase is devised to be understood in either of two ways. It's used when, well...let's just see what Wikipedia says:

Quote:
It is often used to express potentially offensive opinions without the risks of explicitly doing so.

So we have a person standing in front of a bunch of strong supporters (applauding and repeatedly shouting "Yes we can!"), speaking on a topic (health care) they all presumably support (since we all know, in the modern era, no one who's even slightly opposed to the President or what he's going to talk about is allowed within shouting distance) and says "it’s good to be back with some real patriots." Clearly the use of the word "real" suggests a reference to some others who are claiming to "patriots" but are not real patriots.

It's true, he may very well have been referring to any number of former and current sports teams as not real Patriots.

But I think we're all bit sharper than that.

We live in a world in which every single word the President speaks in a prepared speech (and, often, even in press conferences) is very carefully prepared and crafted. Each sentence is very carefully designed. This was no different I'm sure. Additionally, Barack Obama, seems to be particularly enamored with his own cleverness and intellectual superiority so seeing him fashion such a statement is completely within the realm of reality and reasonableness.

post #25 of 50
Quote:

It's called a double entendre. It's a figure of speech in which a spoken phrase is devised to be understood in either of two ways. It's used when, well...let's just see what Wikipedia says:

So we have a person standing in front of a bunch of strong supporters (applauding and repeatedly shouting "Yes we can!"), speaking on a topic (health care) they all presumably support (since we all know, in the modern era, no one who's even slightly opposed to the President or what he's going to talk about is allowed within shouting distance) and says "its good to be back with some real patriots." Clearly the use of the word "real" suggests a reference to some others who are claiming to "patriots" but are not real patriots.

It's true, he may very well have been referring to any number of former and current sports teams as not real Patriots.

But I think we're all bit sharper than that.

We live in a world in which every single word the President speaks in a prepared speech (and, often, even in press conferences) is very carefully prepared and crafted. Each sentence is very carefully designed. This was no different I'm sure. Additionally, Barack Obama, seems to be particularly enamored with his own cleverness and intellectual superiority so seeing him fashion such a statement is completely within the realm of reality and reasonableness.

We all know what he was doing and the context in which he did it and the double entendre.

A non sequitur as it were.

However, your original statement was completely different from what was actually stated.

The word that comes to mind is S-L-O-W, as in very S-L-O-W!
post #26 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

We all know what he was doing and the context in which he did it and the double entendre.

Good, then there's really nothing more discuss other than denouncing him for making the implication.

Quote:

However, your original statement was completely different from what was actually stated.

Given that my statement wasn't an actual quote but a characterization, wiping away the cowardly double entendre for all to see, then, no, it really wasn't because it wasn't meant to be an exact statement of what was said.

Quote:

The word that comes to mind is S-L-O-W, as in very S-L-O-W!

I tried to go as slowly as I could for you and others to keep up because I know that the Obama-apologist mindset requires careful and slow explanations. Sorry if it wasn't good enough.

post #27 of 50
Quote:

Good, then there's really nothing more discuss other than denouncing him for making the implication.

Given that my statement wasn't an actual quote but a characterization, wiping away the cowardly double entendre for all to see, then, no, it really wasn't because it wasn't meant to be an exact statement of what was said.

I tried to go as slowly as I could for you and others to keep up because I know that the Obama-apologist mindset requires careful and slow explanations. Sorry if it wasn't good enough.

Your original misrepresentation of what was actually said is duly noted.

You admit you were wrong.

Thanks for clarifying your original misrepresentation.
post #28 of 50
Quote:

Your original misrepresentation of what was actually said is duly noted.

You admit you were wrong.

Thanks for clarifying your original misrepresentation.

Interesting. Go ahead. You can have it since you obviously feel you must. Go ahead...

post #29 of 50
In case you hadn't notices MJ1970, frank is clearly wandering from thread to thread hoping to provoke someone into something with the whole locked and loaded bit and now the SLOW SLOW Jam routine. Ignoring him works best.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #30 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

In case you hadn't notices MJ1970, frank is clearly wandering from thread to thread hoping to provoke someone into something with the whole locked and loaded bit and now the SLOW SLOW Jam routine. Ignoring him works best.

He doesn't have to trumpy. The right has proven they're already provoked enough by losing this battle. Also I've seen when you put folks on ignore. How long did that last now?
post #31 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Yes because PO is just so full of lurkers who sit on the edges of their seats waiting for your great prose with bated breath.

Quote:
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale.

NOT!
post #32 of 50
So, did the American people vote for Obama?
post #33 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Mac View Post

So, did the American people vote for Obama?

Some. But they've been known to make mistakes from time to time.

post #34 of 50
Quote:

Some. But they've been known to make mistakes from time to time.

Actually most voted for Obama.
post #35 of 50
Quote:

Actually most voted for Obama.

It's true, even a majority can make a mistake.

post #36 of 50
Quote:

It's true, even a majority can make a mistake.

Do mean like when they elected Bush twice?

Poor baby. That's our democratic process at work.
post #37 of 50
Quote:

Do mean like when they elected Bush twice?

Sure.

post #38 of 50
Quote:

Sure.

Yes. I'm sure.
post #39 of 50
Quote:

Maybe Boehner means that even American's that are strongly for the bill are publicly against the bill.

Example, Romney- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6DrH...layer_embedded

Mitt is a git.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

so when is Rush moving to Costa Rica? He did say he would move if the bill got passed and while he is on his way there, someone remind him that they have national health care over there.

I'll chip in $5 toward his bus ticket.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › "ALL" of America is against this bill.