or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Delays cause Apple to switch iPad touch-panel orders to Wintek

Delays cause Apple to switch iPad touch-panel orders to Wintek

post #1 of 47
Due to delayed shipments for iPad touch-panels from Taiwan-based TPK Touch Solutions, Apple has reportedly shifted its orders to longtime partner Wintek. Also, some who preordered the iPad have begun seeing charges from Apple to their credit card, and Best Buy is prepping for the device's April 3 launch.

iPad touch-panel orders shift to Wintek

According to DigiTimes, TPK could not meet the level of supply expected by Apple, which led the iPad maker to shift orders to Wintek. Last week, the Taiwan industry publication claimed issues at Wintek caused the initial delay of the iPad.

Wintek previously focused on small- to medium-size LCD panels, but has shifted its business towards touch-panels. The company has plans to expand its capacity, though it is expected to be able to handle the iPad orders already placed by Apple.

When Apple first introduced the iPad, it said it would ship by late March. The product saw a slight delay, pushing its sale date back to April 3.

When the company began accepting preorders, it limited the number of purchases to two per person. Apple also turned down volume orders for businesses. These actions fueled speculation of a tight iPad supply for the product's launch.

Weeks ago, a handful of reports of manufacturing constraints suggested initial supply of the iPad could be limited. Analyst Peter misek with Canaccord Adams said checks with overseas suppliers suggested an "unspecified production problem" had led to a "manufacturing bottleneck," potentially limiting the number of devices available at launch to 300,000.

Another report, from analyst Vijay Rakesh of Think Equity, said that initial shipment could be even lower, around 200,000, due to "minor delays" in production. His checks with suppliers said any delays were only expected to be temporary, and were not related to the device's glass screen, or any issues in the manufacturing process.

A third report alleged that suppliers have had no issues in the manufacturing of the iPad, and expect Apple to ship between 600,000 and 700,000 devices at launch. That report claimed Apple would have the capacity to ship another 1 million iPads by the end of April.

Apple has also experienced short supply of some iPad accessories, with new preorders o the keyboard dock and power adapter being delayed until May. Those who prepurchased on the first available day will still see their ship in April.

A recent report alleged that the most expensive component in the iPad is its $80 display and touchscreen interface. The iPad has a 9.7-inch screen that is more than twice the size of the iPhone 3GS. Apple has reportedly signed a $240 million deal with Samsung to purchase 3 million additional iPad displays.

Apple begins iPad credit card preauthorization

A little over a week before the iPad is set to be released, Apple has begun placing temporary holds on the credit cards of users who preordered the device. The preauthorization is done to ensure that the customer has enough credit on their card to afford the purchase, and signals that the formal charge will arrive soon.

Users who purchased the 3G version of the iPad have also noted that their credit card has been accessed by Apple. Though the Wi-Fi-only model ships April 3, the 3G capable model is set to ship later in the month.

Best Buy preps for iPad launch

U.S. electronics retailer Best Buy is reportedly gearing up for the April 3 iPad launch. Initially the iPad will only be available at Best Buy locations that have dedicated Apple sections, also known as the "store within a store." It is expected the iPad will expand to all Best Buy locations eventually. The launch stores do not have plans to open early.

The report noted that Best Buy stores are set to receive four separate SKUs, even though the iPad launch will only see the 16GB, 32GB and 64GB Wi-Fi-only models available. It was speculated that stores could receive a 3G-capable model for demo purposes only.

In February, Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook revealed that Apple would sell the iPad at Best Buy and other assisted locations. The company plans to expand its retail availability over time.

Earlier this week, a personal e-mail from Apple co-founder Steve Jobs to an inquiring customer revealed that the iPad will only be available at Apple retail and online stores and Best Buy initially. That means AT&T, the sole 3G provider for the iPad in the U.S., will not carry the product in its stores at launch, though it is likely the wireless provider will eventually sell after the 3G model ships.
post #2 of 47
Are the problems with TPK the source of most/all of the previous production delay rumors?
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
post #3 of 47
Apple just inked a deal with Samsung (AI, yesterday) to provide screens--wonder if there might be differences between the different manufacturers?
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
post #4 of 47
Yup, I'm pretty sure my card got pre-authorized, I had to shift some additional $$$ to my card before the Apple Store let my order through.
post #5 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I wonder if they plan to ship them so you get the device exactly on April 2nd.

Just curious (seriously): Did you order one, finally?
post #6 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I wonder if they plan to ship them so you get the device exactly on April 2nd.

The Apple Store actually states that it will deliver on the 3rd....it's a Saturday....go figure.
post #7 of 47
Yep, I've got two pending transactions for the full amount for my two separate iPad orders...
post #8 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyPappy View Post

The Apple Store actually states that it will deliver on the 3rd....it's a Saturday....go figure.

Apple needs the lines long for the perception of iPad's success and since most people don't work or have school on Saturday this only makes sense.
post #9 of 47
Yeah I'd hate a bait and switch where apple shows off the ipad only to switch screen manufacturers at the last minute and get screens on sales unit that are grossly inferior. We've seen issues in the past with Yellow tinged 3g phone screens, negative images on the 1g Itouch that was not there on review units.
post #10 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

Apple needs the lines long for the perception of iPad's success and since most people don't work or have school on Saturday this only makes sense.

Apple stores get plenty of action all the time, it doesn't need to do anything for perception. The product will garner the attention and sell itself.

(your signature is a tad distasteful, and I'm not even Chinese)
post #11 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post

We've seen issues in the past with Yellow tinged 3g phone screens, negative images on the 1g Itouch that was not there on review units.

Yeah, it must such a flood of 'Yellow tinged' screens. That's why these products are doing so poorly in the market.
post #12 of 47
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

Apple stores get plenty of action all the time, it doesn't need to do anything for perception. The product will garner the attention and sell itself.

His signature?

No, he is. Please stop feeding....
post #13 of 47
Quote:

TS is on my ignore list. Best to either add him/her to your ignore list or ignore TS altogether.
post #14 of 47
Quote:

Perception? I would think the shortage of availability is a testament to how many they have sold. Although NONE of us know, and we should quit speculating.

Oh, and regarding your sig, my answer is:

"Better off!?"
post #15 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

His signature?

No, he is. Please stop feeding....

Since TS is on my ignore list I didn't see the signature, if it's offensive a MODERATOR should advise TS to remove it and remove TS from this site.
post #16 of 47
The "yellow" screens were on purpose remember? Apple changed the warmth of the screen.
post #17 of 47
Cripes. I'm still waiting for whenever Amazon or PowerMax gets in stock so I can afford one of these critters = no sales tax.

That means I get to watch y'all gloat for a week or two before I get mine.
post #18 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyPappy View Post

i expect FedEx to drop off a box on Saturday morning.....
post #19 of 47
Quote:

Yeah I'd hate a bait and switch where apple shows off the ipad only to switch screen manufacturers at the last minute and get screens on sales unit that are grossly inferior. We've seen issues in the past with Yellow tinged 3g phone screens, negative images on the 1g Itouch that was not there on review units.

This is not your bait and switch. Apparently there are production problems and in order to prevent further delays, Apple is turning to a former supplier to pick up production. As stated earlier, Apple inked a deal with Samsung to produce screens of the iPad. My only concerns are whether there will be differences between the different manufacturers in terms of the quality of screens--only time will tell.
post #20 of 47
Quote:

Distasteful? Being Chinese? What's that mean?
post #21 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Since TS is on my ignore list I didn't see the signature, if it's offensive a MODERATOR should advise TS to remove it and remove TS from this site.

Well there is nothing offensive about it and why are you trying to ignite a flame war? A moderator should do something about that. As for your passive /agressivenesss.......
post #22 of 47
If some one is on an ignore list you can't see the contents of their post, you only see that the person has posted something.
post #23 of 47
Quote:

If some one is on an ignore list you can't see the contents of their post, you only see that the person has posted something.

Sounds like viewing the world though rose colored glassses.
post #24 of 47
I just checked my credit card pre authorizations and find that even the two "delayed" items (iPad Keyboard Dock and spare 10W power supply plus sales tax) were combined for a line item entry. The other order entries (including estimated sales tax) scheduled for the 3 April delivery date were also listed. Thus there is a chance the whole order might ship at the appropriate time.

As my order was printed one minute after the starting gun went off, I have always thought there was a strong possibility my order would be filled even if they "sold out" of initial stock.
post #25 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

i expect FedEx to drop off a box on Saturday morning.....

Agreed...

If not, I will be very upset atleast
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

post #26 of 47
Good luck to everyone on the 3rd. Apple Stores will be absolutely rammed.
post #27 of 47
Quote:

So all manufacturers get the same spec to meet, the same QA standards to meet and they have to pass Apple's final checks as well. The "yellow" screen issue was dealt with above, and the other was on a few only. Apple is not perfect and occasionally makes mistakes, but to suggest that they would go with a deliberately lower quality screen as a "bait n' switch tactic is indicative of a serious lack of understanding. Apple would not have the marketshare it has if they did that for real. Simple logic would tell you that.
post #28 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Good luck to everyone on the 3rd. Apple Stores will be absolutely rammed.

and probably crammed too
post #29 of 47
Quote:

Sounds like viewing the world though rose colored glassses.

what colour are yours?
post #30 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

what colour are yours?

Fluorescent beige.
post #31 of 47
Back on topic...

My hat's off to all you early iPad adopters with $$$ to blow on a new product.

A few notes:

DO pickup up AppleCare, if you live in Florida you need to use a out of state residence as it appears Apple hasn't meet the Florida law requirements yet, which means disclosing sensitive data like sales numbers.

DO get the iPad Case or something to protect the screen when not in use. Imagine laying the iPad on it's back on a desk and having your cat jump up on it's glass screen or dropping your car keys on it in the dark.

DO get a screen film protector, one can buy one from a third party source for a Mac and cut it down to size and apply. Not only will it cut the glare, but tiny scratches from micro grains stuck to your fingers.

DO place the iPad in places where it won't be sat upon by accident.

DO keep the iPad and Case in plain view or stand it up in a bookcase or something to avoid things being placed upon it. That screen will crack in a heartbeat if your not ultra careful.

Buy some safe fingerprint/oil removal solution and ultra fine cloth they sell for that and only use it for that. DO not use a used cotton t-shirt as it has micro holes which could be holding fine grains and scratch the surface.

Consider the 64GB model, the larger the storage, the longer the useful life of the device.
post #32 of 47
No preauthorization on my card yet. Perhaps people who live further away from the shipping point are having their orders prepped first. I'm in CA. Any pattern here? Where do those who've seen activity on their credit card accounts live?
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #33 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Back on topic...

My hat's off to all you early iPad adopters with $$$ to blow on a new product.

You expect us to take you seriously after a statement like that?

Quote:

A few notes:

DO pickup up AppleCare, if you live in Florida you need to use a out of state residence as it appears Apple hasn't meet the Florida law requirements yet, which means disclosing sensitive data like sales numbers.

DO get the iPad Case or something to protect the screen when not in use. Imagine laying the iPad on it's back on a desk and having your cat jump up on it's glass screen or dropping your car keys on it in the dark.

DO get a screen film protector, one can buy one from a third party source for a Mac and cut it down to size and apply. Not only will it cut the glare, but tiny scratches from micro grains stuck to your fingers.

DO keep the iPad and Case in plain view or stand it up in a bookcase or something to avoid things being placed upon it. That screen will crack in a heartbeat if your not ultra careful.

Buy some safe fingerprint/oil removal solution and ultra fine cloth they sell for that and only use it for that. DO not use a used cotton t-shirt as it has micro holes which could be holding fine grains and scratch the surface.

Consider the 64GB model, the larger the storage, the longer the useful life of the device.

Nervous troll much? I'm not that worried about mine, and I'm going to wait and get the right case when I find it and just take care of it until then, but I don't think I have to worry about it getting crushed by a book or two.

post #34 of 47
Quote:

This is just plain wrong.
post #35 of 47
Remember the glory days of the 80's when Amigas, Ataris, and Macs were actually made in North America?

The loss of manufacturing ability here is truly sad.
post #36 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

This is just plain wrong.

It's wrong only because you should buy one already cut to size which I'm sure PowerSupport and others will offer.
post #37 of 47
Quote:

Apple just inked a deal with Samsung (AI, yesterday) to provide screens--wonder if there might be differences between the different manufacturers?

Apple has only promised a 9.7" 1024x768 IPS display. Every thing else is up in the air. Depending on manufacturer and/or model number the display could be different, but we probably won't know for weeks into sales after we can get some proper comparisons. Even then you won't know who made what panel since there is no mechanism in the iPad to look up display model and manufacturer like there is in Mac OS X.

Quote:

It's sad that his anti-Apple rhetoric now has to state that Apple stores need to pretend they are busy to sway public image. If Troll Inc. doesn't pay on commission or he's not getting paid this month.

PS: Please don't feed.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #38 of 47
Quote:

It's wrong only because you should buy one already cut to size which I'm sure PowerSupport and others will offer.

Tiny scratches from "micro-grains" stuck on your fingers??

You can put keys to your iPhone's screen and even then the chances of scratches are minimal.
post #39 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple has only promised a 9.7" 1024x768 IPS display. Every thing else is up in the air. Depending on manufacturer and/or model number the display could be different, but we probably won't know for weeks into sales after we can get some proper comparisons. Even then you won't know who made what panel since there is no mechanism in the iPad to look up display model and manufacturer like there is in Mac OS X.

Hope that this doesn't inspire another aspect ratio debate--been a rash of them lately--like yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's sad that his anti-Apple rhetoric now has to state that Apple stores need to pretend they are busy to sway public image. If Troll Inc. doesn't pay on commission or he's not getting paid this month.
PS: Please don't feed.

Agreed -- either don't feed ie ignore or add to your ignore list---please
post #40 of 47
Quote:

A few notes:

You forgot to mention that it should not be heated in the microwave and should not be used in the bath - even when it's not charging via the USB cable.

These are both really useful pieces of information, I don't know how you could have overlooked them.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Delays cause Apple to switch iPad touch-panel orders to Wintek