Originally Posted by eastendjenn
I am a photographer, and I am looking to get into a MBP for photo editing. I currently work on a desktop PC. I'd be installing Photoshop, Lightroom, and Adobe Premiere Elements on the MBP, but not much else.
The thing to watch out for is the inclusion of GPU acceleration in any of these apps. The current MBP GPU is rather dated and could be a huge negative when or if GPU acceleration becomes significant with these apps.
As to the Intel CPU itself that is much mote of a mixed bag despite all the whining above. The thing is the performance of the coming Intel CPUs vary widely with respect to Core 2 Duo. The performance gains can be as little as a few percent to to some rather astounding values depending on the code. In your case the SIMD performance could significantly impact your performance.
There is a lot of hedging above because it depends upon many factors, but photo editing is fairly close to realtime now. It is entirely possible that a faster machine would not benefit you in that specific task.
I'd save files on an external drive.
I hope you mean backup files to an external drive. Having lost some interesting photos in my time while traveling I've gotten to be very untrusting and like to keep at least three copies on different media when traveling. It is one of digitals best features. Further if you have a server to upload stuff to all the better.
I really want to wait for a new MBP, but since I do not currently have a laptop or even a Mac, every day that I wait is time wasted that I could have spent working.
You sound like you are in business, good businessmen buy the tools they need when they need them.
I can edit on my current computer of course, but I'm not mobile so I lose a lot of opportunities to get things done. I'll be traveling next week and it's killing me to think of all the computer time I'll be missing out on while on the road.
You have in a way answered your own question above.
On the otherhand you may be over estimating the opportunies to get work done on the road. Especially on a laptop with a small screen. This again depends upon many things but is something to think about. However any sort of portable is advisable for backups and networking.
With those circumstances in mind, would you go ahead and buy now or wait?
It shouldn't be about us. It is you and your business that will either be successful or die.
Will the upgrades even make a discernible difference in my MBP's performance if I'm not loading it with too much software and only using it for this purpose? WWYD?
That is a very good question. There is no doubt that a newer machine will be faster, the question is will it make a difference with your intended usage. If you are a novice or a person that doesn't leverage hardware all that much then you have to weigh a little lost productivity in the next few weeks against potential greater gains a few weeks from now. If you are more of a power user I'd have to suggest you have more to loose if the new Macs are a ways off.
Just keep in mind that there is likely some big gains to be had outside of the CPU