or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple launching iPad with explicit content in App Store
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple launching iPad with explicit content in App Store

post #1 of 111
Thread Starter 
After nearly two years of criticism of its censorship of adult content in the iPhone App Store, Apple appears to be gearing up to sell explicit content for both the iPad and the iPhone and iPod touch.

Links to new "explicit software" categories in iTunes indicate that Apple plans to finally deliver adult content for both the iPad and for existing iPhone OS devices, segregated from other content with parental controls in the same way that iTunes has long sold music with explicit lyrics.

Over the last year, Apple refined a ratings system for App Store software titles that enables users to restrict the level of software that can be downloaded through their copy of iTunes.

iTunes parental controls

The system uses the same parental controls preferences (below) that can restrict movies to the MPAA-designated "G, PG, PG-13, and R" ratings, or TV shows to the broadcaster-initiated "TV-Y, TV-Y7, TV-G, TV-PG, TV-14 and TV-MA" classifications.

Currently, Apple has its own rating system for App Store software titles, which sets thresholds at "4+, 9+, 12+, and 17+." However, the company has prohibited the sale of explicit software that includes pornography or other adult subject matter, at times removing titles it deemed obscene.

This policy has attracted widespread criticism due to the fact that adult content is freely available over the web in the iPhone's Mobile Safari browser. Any App Store titles that incorporate an embedded web browser, including Facebook, are listed as 17+ for this reason, and can potentially display content that is more explicit than Apple allows in native App Store titles.



An iPad Killer App?

Parental controls in iTunes also allow users to block access to the iPhone's web browser and the ability to open the iTunes Store to download any apps at all, in addition to the content ratings settings. But iTunes also has a separate option to block "explicit content," which until now has apparently been limited to restricting access to music with explicit song lyrics.

By enabling developers to publish "explicit" software titles in the App Store, Apple will provide the potential for a new, unanticipated killer app for iPad: digital interactive magazines, comics, and games that present adult subject matter to audiences that want them while also enabling parents to prevent access to such content within iTunes' preferences.

Access to adult content has long been credited with the success and popularity of technology platforms. It is widely held that JVC's VHS videotape format won out over Sony's Betamax due to the fact that JVC did not attempt to block distribution of adult content in the early 80s. The explosion in popularity of the consumer web has also been credited to its ability to deliver unfettered access to adult content.

At the same time, Apple is under intense pressure from activist groups seeking to ban all access to adult material, including one group that addressed Steve Jobs at last year's shareholder meeting in a diatribe that implored Apple to not distribute CBS TV sitcoms in iTunes (which were originally broadcast over the air) because they contained mildly suggestive scenes.

post #2 of 111
perfect
post #3 of 111
Censorship in this realm doesn't make a lot of sense. It just makes hypocrites out of us all. Intelligently regulating access via parental controls or the usual ratings systems will work just fine.

I understand the line Apple tried to avoid crossing. But you can be a perfectly great book store that caters to all age groups. All you have to do is put the good stuff behind the magic curtain.
post #4 of 111
They don't have a dedicated War Movies section in iTunes Store, a category I enjoy with a lot of classics, but they will be having a porno apps section?
post #5 of 111
Hmmm I guess that was Larry Flints gold plated wheelchair spotted on the Apple Campus a few days ago...
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #6 of 111
I wouldn't go so far to call it censorship. Stores are free to target whatever specific audience they choose. Just because explicit material is prevalent on the web does not mean every web media distribution store has to provide it.

There is no expectation to see "Citizen Kane" at a porn shop, why does everyone have to provide porn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

Censorship in this realm doesn't make a lot of sense. It just makes hypocrites out of us all.
post #7 of 111
Most war movies are driven from the reality of its subject matter, while most porn has very little to do with the reality of human sexuality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

They don't have a dedicated War Movies section in iTunes Store, a category I enjoy with a lot of classics, but they will be having a porno apps section?
post #8 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

They don't have a dedicated War Movies section in iTunes Store, a category I enjoy with a lot of classics, but they will be having a porno apps section?

not exactly porn app, just explicit.
It could mean a lot of things.
post #9 of 111
Although it's a free country (so to speak) and everyone has rights to decide for themselves and their families what is acceptable and what is not, it is disappointing that porn (I assume the explicit category will largely contain porn) must find a new channel on these devices.

It was inevitable I suppose, and I suspect this news will meet with fanfare to those businesses that produce such material. But I'm disappointed, it will likely overtake these devices / app store service as it has the web.

The app store and/or itunes will likely become bloated on this stuff.
post #10 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dslegends View Post

But I'm disappointed, it will likely overtake these devices / app store service as it has the web.

Just don't go into those categories. Try not to be a fool.
post #11 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyngyrz View Post

Just don't go into those categories. Try not to be a fool.

I'm thinking of the attention this will gain in discussion, media focus, stats relative to app/media sales etc. overshadowing the rest of the store. To your point, I'm aware of how to stay clear of it.
post #12 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyngyrz View Post

Just don't go into those categories. Try not to be a fool.

Agreed. You don't want it, don't use it. I fall into that category.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
Reply
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
Reply
post #13 of 111
Yes, this is the category to put all the bikini apps into. It wasn't enough to make them 18+, explicit nudity. They must be in a completely separate category, Explicit, 18+, with a warning when the application is launched that all people displayed in the application are completely nude under their clothing.
post #14 of 111
I really hope this is a re-defining of their previously poorly defined categories and doesn't mean pornography.

That is really NOT within Apple's (nor maybe any other tech company's) brand or corporate values.
post #15 of 111
There are plenty of other places to get porn. Apple need not sell it.
post #16 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

Freedom of speech is against Apple's values. WTF?

Come on, seriously.....freedom of speech?
Go into Starbucks and ask them where the Penthouses are. They have newspapers there for you to read, why not porn? Every retailer need not sell porn, that's why. It's not a "freedom" issue at all.

Maybe you can get with some minority app developers, convince them to make some porn apps and have Apple reject them. Then flog Apple with racist, free speech robbing accusations. Figure out another reason to need Apple for your porn, but don't drag the Constitution into it. It is a ridiculous argument.
post #17 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

At the same time, Apple is under intense pressure from activist groups seeking to ban all access to adult material, including one group that addressed Steve Jobs at last year's shareholder meeting in a diatribe that implored Apple to not distribute CBS TV sitcoms in iTunes (which were originally broadcast over the air) because they contained mildly suggestive scenes.

F that. Stop censoring and let people decide. I am sick of people and groups trying to control what I want to see. Good for Apple.
post #18 of 111
The Betamax porn myth is just that. A myth. Porn's influence on the format war is not supported by any evidence.
post #19 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Come on, seriously.....freedom of speech?
Go into Starbucks and ask them where the Penthouses are. They have newspapers there for you to read, why not porn? Every retailer need not sell porn, that's why. It's not a "freedom" issue at all.

Maybe you can get with some minority app developers, convince them to make some porn apps and have Apple reject them. Then flog Apple with racist, free speech robbing accusations. Figure out another reason to need Apple for your porn, but don't drag the Constitution into it. It is a ridiculous argument.

I am sorry I have to agree with TECHSTUD on this. Apple sells computers and computer like devices. In this day and age we need not censor what you can view. This is personal Choice. Apple is not selling Nintendo DS or Wii's. Sorry but you are wrong. Plus your analogy comparison of Apple and Starbucks is just not even making sense.
post #20 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

Apple as a censor never worked. Where do you begin it and where does it end? Apple doesn't and never owned the inteernet. I'm glad they've come to their senses and I
applaud them for this. Bravo
Apple.

They are not censors. They are retailers, and they fill their servers with what they feel like filling them with. It has nothing to do with anything except Apple's choice in what they feel like selling to their customers.
They seem perfectly happy letting your porn dollars be spent elsewhere. Go find your Flash based porn (and not porn) somewhere else, too. Just don't bring up censorship, freedom of speech, or any argument other than a retailers choice to sell what they feel like selling.

Hell, they even retain the right to sell to whom they please.
post #21 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by masstrkiller View Post

I am sorry I have to agree with TECHSTUD on this. Apple sells computers and computer like devices. In this day and age we need not censor what you can view. This is personal Choice. Apple is not selling Nintendo DS or Wii's. Sorry but you are wrong. Plus your analogy comparison of Apple and Starbucks is just not even making sense.

You can view all the porn you want on your Apple computer, Apple iPhone, and Apple TV. They just don't sell it. What's so hard for you to understand?
post #22 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by masstrkiller View Post

I am sorry I have to agree with TECHSTUD on this. Apple sells computers and computer like devices. In this day and age we need not censor what you can view. This is personal Choice. Apple is not selling Nintendo DS or Wii's. Sorry but you are wrong. Plus your analogy comparison of Apple and Starbucks is just not even making sense.

So you think that your personal choice overrides the corporate choice of the company running the store to sell what they feel like selling?

What I meant by the Starbucks thing was, you cannot tell a store owner what to sell. You can, however, find a store that sells what you want to buy and then go ahead and buy it there. If the first guy doesn't have what you want, you move on to who does.
post #23 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dslegends View Post

Although it's a free country (so to speak) and everyone has rights to decide for themselves and their families what is acceptable and what is not, it is disappointing that porn (I assume the explicit category will largely contain porn) must find a new channel on these devices.

It was inevitable I suppose, and I suspect this news will meet with fanfare to those businesses that produce such material. But I'm disappointed, it will likely overtake these devices / app store service as it has the web.

The app store and/or itunes will likely become bloated on this stuff.

Disappointing? Just don't download it. Explicit adult content will no doubt be in its own category so anyone who does not want it does not even have to look at it. Its simple and mature. I do not agree with censorship.
post #24 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

You can view all the porn you want on your Apple computer, Apple iPhone, and Apple TV. They just don't sell it. What's so hard for you to understand?

What's the difference between not viewing/buying porn off the web and not viewing/buying porn off the App Store? There really isn't any. So you will be fine and so will thousands of other who don't want to. Its not any different. I am sure Playboy will have a magazine app so should we censor that? I mean when you walk into a magazine or a book store do they not have pornographic magazines They have them. Apple is setting the ipad to be a replacement/companion to the ailing magazine and book stores.
post #25 of 111
A perfect example of users themselves creating problems for Apple:

"We don't want this filth!"

"Down with censorship!"

"We should have a choice!"

"There's too much junk in the App Store!"

"I should be able to view whatever *I* want on *my* iPhone!"

"Apple shouldn't sell porn!"


Apple doesn't need to make up their mind.

WE do.
post #26 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

They don't have a dedicated War Movies section in iTunes Store, a category I enjoy with a lot of classics, but they will be having a porno apps section?

"Subject matter" is not the same as a "category".
post #27 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by masstrkiller View Post

What's the difference between not viewing/buying porn off the web and not viewing/buying porn off the App Store? There really isn't any. So you will be fine and so will thousands of other who don't want to. Its not any different. I am sure Playboy will have a magazine app so should we censor that? I mean when you walk into a magazine or a book store do they not have pornographic magazines They have them. Apple is setting the ipad to be a replacement/companion to the ailing magazine and book stores.

I don't recall saying I didn't want to.

I just said you're second in line to Apple when it comes to them selling stuff from their store. I also pointed out there are those other retailers who do, in fact, sell porn (or really anything you might want to buy that is explicit.) So, go there and pay them for it. Apple obviously doesn't want your money for that stuff or they'd sell it to you.
post #28 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

So you think that your personal choice overrides the corporate choice of the company running the store to sell what they feel like selling?

What I meant by the Starbucks thing was, you cannot tell a store owner what to sell. You can, however, find a store that sells what you want to buy and then go ahead and buy it there. If the first guy doesn't have what you want, you move on to who does.

I get your point on the Starbucks analogy. But Starbucks is selling coffee goods. They are not selling internet computer devices which are a completely different. No one goes to Starbucks to try and find their favorite magazine. They go there for coffee and the newspaper. And thats what they sell. It would not be in their best interest to sell pornography and every other category of books or magazine. Point being they are not a bookstore. Apple is attempting to recreate the book store. So how far do you want to go with censorship?
post #29 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by masstrkiller View Post

I get your point on the Starbucks analogy. But Starbucks is selling coffee goods. They are not selling internet computer devices which are a completely different. No one goes to Starbucks to try and find their favorite magazine. They go there for coffee and the newspaper. And thats what they sell. It would not be in their best interest to sell pornography and every other category of books or magazine. Point being they are not a bookstore. Apple is attempting to recreate the book store. So how far do you want to go with censorship?

Censorship is not the appropriate word in this context, please refrain from using it.
It's not like Apple sells you a Playboy, but with black bars over all of the boobies. They just don't sell that magazine. Buy it somewhere else.

I was pissed off when I could buy both Bourne Identity and Bourne Supremacy, but not Bourne Ultimatum on my Apple TV. The damn movie came out in 2007! I wrote Apple about it.

Were they censoring it? No, they just didn't offer it for sale. Sucked for Apple, too, because I bought it elsewhere.
post #30 of 111
I think Apple has a mistake there. Shouldn't 4+ be 4- or <4. Wouldn't 4+ imply mature content (i.e. 4 or older).
post #31 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

Yes, this is the category to put all the bikini apps into. It wasn't enough to make them 18+, explicit nudity. They must be in a completely separate category, Explicit, 18+, with a warning when the application is launched that all people displayed in the application are completely nude under their clothing.

DISCLAIMER:

We have removed all nudity under the cloths with Photoshop.
post #32 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

At the same time, Apple is under intense pressure from activist groups seeking to ban all access to adult material, including one group that addressed Steve Jobs at last year's shareholder meeting in a diatribe that implored Apple to not distribute CBS TV sitcoms in iTunes (which were originally broadcast over the air) because they contained mildly suggestive scenes.

You cannot please one activist group without offending the activist group that hold the opposite beliefs of the first activist group. So who do you listen to?
If you're government, you listen to the group with the most money.

If you are a retailer, you listen to your actual customers. When Apple start getting feedback from the larger portion of their actual users, they will amend their business practices to suit them.

I am not at all for censorship, and I abhor "activists".
post #33 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

A perfect example of users themselves creating problems for Apple:

"We don't want this filth!"

"Down with censorship!"

"We should have a choice!"

"There's too much junk in the App Store!"

"I should be able to view whatever *I* want on *my* iPhone!"

"Apple shouldn't sell porn!"


Apple doesn't need to make up their mind.

WE do.

Yes, but an either-or solution isn't required. Apple could make another version of the AppStore for each of those opinions.
post #34 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Censorship is not the appropriate word in this context, please refrain from using it.
It's not like Apple sells you a Playboy, but with black bars over all of the boobies. They just don't sell that magazine. Buy it somewhere else.

I was pissed off when I could buy both Bourne Identity and Bourne Supremacy, but not Bourne Ultimatum on my Apple TV. The damn movie came out in 2007! I wrote Apple about it.

Were they censoring it? No, they just didn't offer it for sale. Sucked for Apple, too, because I bought it elsewhere.

You are missing the point. Censorship is the exclusion of an entire category of material. In this case it is explicit adult content. You comparing this to not being able to buy the third installment of the Jason Bourne series is not censorship and has more to do with legal rights to sell it from the company that owns it. It has nothing to do with censorship!

Apple is attempting to recreate the book/magazine store via electronic way. Why censor? Its a book store! I am not saying that Apple MUST sell explicit content. It is their right to sell whatever they want or feel is appropriate. But what I think is happening is Apple realizes that the time is coming to open the app store up because it has a serious reputation among developers of being way to closed. I won't pretend to know exactly what Apple is up to or its motives. But its part of a guess.

I also believe that Apple does not want to be too closed in its app store.

I am against censorship. But I do not fail to realize that Apple has the right to sell what they want.
post #35 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by masstrkiller View Post

You are missing the point. Censorship is the exclusion of an entire category of material. In this case it is explicit adult content. You comparing this to not being able to buy the third installment of the Jason Bourne series is not censorship and has more to do with legal rights to sell it from the company that owns it. It has nothing to do with censorship!

Apple is attempting to recreate the book/magazine store via electronic way. Why censor? Its a book store! I am not saying that Apple MUST sell explicit content. It is their right to sell whatever they want or feel is appropriate. But what I think is happening is Apple realizes that the time is coming to open the app store up because it has a serious reputation among developers of being way to closed. I won't pretend to know exactly what Apple is up to or its motives. But its part of a guess.

I also believe that Apple does not want to be too closed in its app store.

I am against censorship. But I do not fail to realize that Apple has the right to sell what they want.

Too many people don't understand what censorship means. They only have the power of not being fully open, as you said. Apple doesn't have the power for censorship. For it to be censorship, they would have to get the entire country to ban mature content. Only the government holds that power.
post #36 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iTunes parental controls

The system uses the same parental controls preferences (below) that can restrict movies to the MPAA-designated "G, PG, PG-13, and R" ratings, or TV shows to the broadcaster-initiated "TV-Y, TV-Y7, TV-G, TV-PG, TV-14 and TV-MA" classifications.

Currently, Apple has its own rating system for App Store software titles, which sets thresholds at "4+, 9+, 12+, and 17+." However, the company has prohibited the sale of explicit software that includes pornography or other adult subject matter, at times removing titles it deemed obscene.

Do you have to set these controls in iTunes before they will work? I mean if you have a iTunes account and they know you are only, say 13, it currently lets download games rated 17, which seems strange to me
post #37 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Do you have to set these controls in iTunes before they will work? I mean if you have a iTunes account and they know you are only, say 13, it currently lets download games rated 17, which seems strange to me

Someone with a credit card has to set it when they open the account. If you know someone under the age of 17 with a credit card, then they must be pretty clever. I'm not sure about free content though, there may be a loophole there. You would have to try it and see.

Although the rating system does say 12+. I suppose a rating of 17 is higher then 12.
post #38 of 111
Apple could have a separate adult store... call it iAdult or something like that. Charge 70% of the sales for the adult stuff including the XXX content.

It could really become a real profit center as well as drive the demand for the iPhone/Pod, iPad, etc.

However, I do not think that SJ wants to leave a porn legacy like the Flynn or HH from Playboy. Even though he has been successful with making money, that is not his driving force.
post #39 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

Apple could have a separate adult store... call it iAdult or something like that. Charge 70% of the sales for the adult stuff including the XXX content.

It could really become a real profit center as well as drive the demand for the iPhone/Pod, iPad, etc.

However, I do not think that SJ wants to leave a porn legacy like the Flynn or HH from Playboy. Even though he has been successful with making money, that is not his driving force.

I don't know. I think HH has a pretty good public image.
post #40 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by masstrkiller View Post

You are missing the point. Censorship is the exclusion of an entire category of material. In this case it is explicit adult content. You comparing this to not being able to buy the third installment of the Jason Bourne series is not censorship and has more to do with legal rights to sell it from the company that owns it. It has nothing to do with censorship!

Apple is attempting to recreate the book/magazine store via electronic way. Why censor? Its a book store! I am not saying that Apple MUST sell explicit content. It is their right to sell whatever they want or feel is appropriate. But what I think is happening is Apple realizes that the time is coming to open the app store up because it has a serious reputation among developers of being way to closed. I won't pretend to know exactly what Apple is up to or its motives. But its part of a guess.

I also believe that Apple does not want to be too closed in its app store.

I am against censorship. But I do not fail to realize that Apple has the right to sell what they want.

As I said, neither does your argument. Excluding content from a retail store by the owner of the store is not censorship. If they placed the material up for sale, but edited it so any "offending" parts were removed or blacked out, then that would be censorship. You are only calling it censorship because it is an explicit category.

However, a retailer not offering a subset of items from their general category of sales doesn't make it censorship. If they didn't sell non-fiction books, would you consider those censored?

Have they then in fact, under your new definition of censorship, censored the mid-range headless Mac? Would that be censorship? It certainly is offensive to some people that they don't sell a mid-range expandable tower.....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple launching iPad with explicit content in App Store