or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple says new iPad orders won't ship till April 12th
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple says new iPad orders won't ship till April 12th

post #1 of 126
Thread Starter 
With the iPad standing as arguably the most anticipated gadget of 2010, Apple appears to have sold through its initial supply of device and is no longer promising April 3rd delivery for new orders placed from this point on. Separately, the company has finally given the iPad Camera Connection Kit a ship date.

As of Saturday, the Apple online store indicates that new orders for all three models of the WiFi-only iPad models will ship "by April 12th," putting their arrival in customers' hands roughly two weeks after the April 3rd delivery date promised to early adopters who pre-order the device up until this weekend.

Meanwhile, Apple continues to imply that the first 3G-enabled iPads will ship by "Late April."

Over a week ago, people familiar with the iPad's running sales totals told the Wall Street Journal that the company had pre-sold "hundreds of thousands of the device." They added that Apple was on pace to potentially sell more iPads in its first three months than the 1.2 million iPhones it sold in the three months after the touch-screen handset made its debut back in 2007.

The buzz surrounding iPad pre-sales has prompted several prominent Wall Street analysts to raise their price targets on the company, sending its shares to new all-time highs.



For example, Credit Suisse analyst Bill Shope on Friday raised his 12-month price target to $300 from $275 while also upping his per-share earnings estimates for the company's current quarter to $2.57 per share from $2.27. He also increased his revenue outlook for the quarter to $12.26 billion from $11.45 billion.

"We believe Apple is now running well ahead of expectations in all of its key business segments," he wrote in a report to clients. "To put this in perspective, the March quarter typically represents Apple's seasonal nadir, and our estimates would imply the March quarter of 2010 would be the second strongest quarter in company history."

Shope now sees Apple selling 1.08 million iPads next quarter, up from his previous estimate of 650,000.

Separately, Apple on Saturday also provided a "Late April" ship date for the iPad Camera Connection Kit and began taking pre-orders for the device. It was previously unavailable for purchase for reasons the company did not disclose.

The iPad Camera Connection Kit enables two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera: using a camera’s USB cable or directly from an SD card. It supports standard photo formats, including JPEG and RAW.
post #2 of 126
Apple is doomed!
post #3 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple is doomed!™

Once again, Apple has no product to sell when people want it.

Why is Apple giving Tim Cook megamillion bonuses? He should be fired for this debacle.

And nobody wants to buy iPads. Phil Schiller needs to go as well.

Doomed.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #4 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple is doomed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Once again, Apple has no product to sell when people want it.

Why is Apple giving Tim Cook megamillion bonuses? He should be fired for this debacle.

And nobody wants to buy iPads. Phil Schiller needs to go as well.

Doomed.

Apple is obviously shorting production so they can make the iPad look more desirable than it really is. Dooooomed!


Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

They added that Apple was on pace to potentially sell more iPads in its first three months than the 1.2 million iPhones it sold in the three months after the touch-screen handset made its debut back in 2007.

If they don't sell 1 million in the first week then they are doomed.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #5 of 126
We all know that the iPad will not sell---don't we?

Yeh, I agree with the first post---Apple is doomed
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
post #6 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple is doomed!

LOL, don't trademark it, it'll just give it legitimacy
post #7 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple is obviously shorting production so they can make the iPad look more desirable than it really is. ..............

Actually the fault is not entirely Apple's. If you have been following the news, the problem seem to be with the supplier of iPad's display. Apple has done its due diligence and inked a deal with Samsung and with Wintek to provide more displays.

I misread your post. You were mocking the naysayers. No mention from trolls about aspect ratios or eyestrain?

The only question I have will there be a difference between the different manufacturers?

Wintek @

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...to_wintek.html

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...to_wintek.html

Samsung@

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._displays.html
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
post #8 of 126
Definitely artificial scarcity, nothing more.

Doomed!
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #9 of 126
OMG, that camera connection kit is the dumbest thing I've seen Apple do yet. Seriously, I need another adapter in my desk drawer like I need a hole in my head. Come on Steve, didn't you think an SD card slot would be appropriate? I'll let you in on a secret Steve: I'd pay $29 more for an iPad that *didn't* make me but another damn adapter. It absolutely *ruins* the elegance of the product.
I got nothin'.
Reply
I got nothin'.
Reply
post #10 of 126
There is still no release date for the WiFi+3G or Japan \

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #11 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Actually the fault is not entirely Apple's. If you have been following the news, the problem seem to be with the supplier of iPad's display. Apple has done its due diligence and inked a deal with Samsung and with Wintek to provide more displays.

I was being facetious, but it's good you bring up that point as it's likely the reason for this particular delay. Hundreds of thousands of any complex product out of the gate is pretty huge and a problem that will continually plague Apple as their growth continues.

I'm not sure Apple can keep up their limited boutique-like product line, especially for Macs, for too much longer as diseconomy of scale grows. I keep expecting a 15" plastic unibody MacBook using last generation processors from Intel to shore up their offerings while increasing growth and revenue, but I seem to be alone in that thought.

Quote:
The only question I have will there be a difference between the different manufacturers?

Wintek @

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...to_wintek.html

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...to_wintek.html

Samsung@

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._displays.html

Hopefully there is no quantifiable difference but as Macs have long since shown multiple suppliers of LCDs can look difference when placed side-by-side.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #12 of 126
Uh oh. Looks like we may have to segue very rapidly from "Fan boys will buy anything their Lord and Master orders them to" to "Apple's mind control and slick marketing could sell snow to Eskimos."

I look forward to a surprisingly early onset of "this abrupt flood of other products that follow Apple's template have better specs and make the iPad look stupid and dated, and anyway they were going to make those all along so Apple didn't change anything fanboys shut up."

Oh, and, Apple is Doomed.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #13 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by godrifle View Post

OMG, that camera connection kit is the dumbest thing I've seen Apple do yet. Seriously, I need another adapter in my desk drawer like I need a hole in my head. Come on Steve, didn't you think an SD card slot would be appropriate? I'll let you in on a secret Steve: I'd pay $29 more for an iPad that *didn't* make me but another damn adapter. It absolutely *ruins* the elegance of the product.

What about a USB-A port? You think it would be more elegant to line the device with every port that people are expected to use? I don't see that. I don't think many will will be using the iPad to offload photos and the iPad's 30-pin-connector has been on every iDevice, sans the Shuffle, which I find to be a good thing. I can carry ONE carry to charge and sync A Nano, iPhone and iPad. I'd think those with cameras that want to offload their pics into an iPad can simply carry the adapter in their camera bag. That seems less of a big deal that adding a port to satisfy every user's needs.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #14 of 126
I wonder what the magic number for launch supply was?

Any word on whether you can still reserve one for pick up in store? Or have these ended?

I wonder how many people will be there when the store opens at 9 on the 3rd? This is very different than the iPhone launch, in many ways. Reservation-only, instead of FCFS-only. No activation or unboxing at all, vs. 15 min+ activation times. Could be way more people. Could be way fewer.
post #15 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Once again, Apple has no product to sell when people want it.

Why is Apple giving Tim Cook megamillion bonuses? He should be fired for this debacle.

And nobody wants to buy iPads. Phil Schiller needs to go as well.

Doomed.

Never mind, I missed the emoticon.
post #16 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Uh oh. Looks like we may have to segue very rapidly from "Fan boys will buy anything their Lord and Master orders them to" to "Apple's mind control and slick marketing could sell snow to Eskimos."

I look forward to a surprisingly early onset of "this abrupt flood of other products that follow Apple's template have better specs and make the iPad look stupid and dated, and anyway they were going to make those all along so Apple didn't change anything fanboys shut up."

Oh, and, Apple is Doomed.

What are Stages of Anti-Apple Justifications, again? I think i might make a chart in my down time today.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #17 of 126
What prevents third parties from selling a USB to 30-pin cable or adaptor that connects a variety of digital cameras to the iPad?
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #18 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by godrifle View Post

OMG, that camera connection kit is the dumbest thing I've seen Apple do yet. Seriously, I need another adapter in my desk drawer like I need a hole in my head. Come on Steve, didn't you think an SD card slot would be appropriate? I'll let you in on a secret Steve: I'd pay $29 more for an iPad that *didn't* make me but another damn adapter. It absolutely *ruins* the elegance of the product.

I disagree. It would be SD or USB slots that would ruin the elegant design of the device. The versatile 30 pin port makes it simpler. If u really need to connect a camera to get raw photos on the device immediately, you have to use something to connect them, and a cable is no more convenient than a cable+adapter, for the one - two minutes you need it connected.

For 1 - 2 minutes of use, I'd rather have the adapter, than holes all over the iPad.
post #19 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

...... No mention from trolls about aspect ratios or eyestrain?[/I]

.......

One less troll BANNED hint TS

http://forums.appleinsider.com/membe...&ltr=T&page=12
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
post #20 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

What prevents third parties from selling a USB to 30-pin cable or adaptor that connects a variety of digital cameras to the iPad?

Nothing. Could be done by anyone, any time, and likely will.
post #21 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Is all this angst because of notebook refreshes that haven't arrived yet (and you're venting), or because you're colossally out of touch with the market?

I'm pretty sure he is just mocking the trolls before their shifts start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

What prevents third parties from selling a USB to 30-pin cable or adaptor that connects a variety of digital cameras to the iPad?

Apple licenses the male end of the 30-pin connector, but I font know if they license it as a cable or if it's just as a dock [or other directly connected device]. I'll check Monoprice...

edit: I just remembered all car chargers with iPod-Dock-Connectors. I can't find any specific cables that are 30-pin-to-Micro/Mini-USB, but I see no reason why they can't be made.

This is the cheaper solution at $1.84....
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #22 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm pretty sure he is just mocking the trolls befor their shifts start.

Well one troll will not be reporting in today--not due to any illness either. The B word.
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
post #23 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple licenses the male end of the 30-pin connector, but I font know if they license it as a cable or if it's just as a dock. I'll check Monoprice...

Presumably every iPad will come with a USB cable for connection to a computer. So all anyone will need in addition it seems is an adaptor for male USB to the mini female sizes of USB used on cameras. Probably these can already be purchased. In fact I think I already have a set for a GPS power adaptor I bought from Radio Shack.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #24 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm pretty sure he is just mocking the trolls before their shifts start.

Yes, yes, I missed that one. My bad.
post #25 of 126
Once the first 100 million, Kool-aid drinking fanboys get theirs, the demand will dry up.

Apple is doomed!
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
post #26 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Presumably every iPad will come with a USB cable for connection to a computer. So all anyone will need in addition it seems is an adaptor for male USB to the mini female sizes of USB used on cameras. Probably these can already be purchased. In fact I think I already have a set for a GPS power adaptor I bought from Radio Shack.

Ah, yes. I was posting an edit to my previous post with a cheaper solution attached.

Now, if your camera can't copy the files from the inserted SD card, or you have several SD cards of data to be copied and can't bother with putting them into the camera to sync (which tells me the iPad may not be the best option anyway) then this won't work for you. For those users I'd think a more robust option may be needed so they may already have a multi-card reader ($6.99) for their prosumer demands.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #27 of 126
First, in the article:
Nine days is indeed "roughly" two weeks. VERY "roughly." So "roughly," in fact, that it seems a bit provocative to pad a difference that most 7-year-olds can calculate with an additional 50%+. LIke, say, maybe, a 9-day backlog isn't long enough to get readers riled up?

I realize most of you were being facetious (Mac Voyer gets my vote for brilliance) and mocking the tone of the article (as well you should IMO), but in case you have friends who worry about such things, here are some questions to ponder.

The backlog cited for current orders says NOTHING about:
  • How many iPads will be available in-store on 4/3, or whether each store will have supply for sale over and above reservations.
  • How many iPads have already been sold, and whether this is a delay at all (Rumors already existed regarding the number of iPads available at launch, and how many has Apple said they've sold? What? They haven't said anything?).
  • Whether this is an ESTIMATED or FIRM ship date (most every ship date I've seen on the store for any other product is cited as an estimate).
  • Whether the sky is falling.

Here's hoping this helps everyone to take a breath and find our happy place.
post #28 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm not sure Apple can keep up their limited boutique-like product line, especially for Macs, for too much longer as diseconomy of scale grows. I keep expecting a 15" plastic unibody MacBook using last generation processors from Intel to shore up their offerings while increasing growth and revenue, but I seem to be alone in that thought.

Probably because most people who want the product line expanded want to see the xMac
post #29 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Once the first 100 million, Kool-aid drinking fanboys get theirs, the demand will dry up.

Apple is doomed!

iPad will be killed by the HP Slate running Windows long before that
post #30 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

iPad will be killed by the HP Slate running Windows long before that

Haven't you heard, the Slate has already been killed by the Joojoo.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
post #31 of 126
Lol nice first ^ post. I spoke to the Apple store I'll be going to, and they said they've got quite a few reservations, but that it should go quick. I imagine they'll get through most of the resevations (who show up early) starting at 9, before the store technically opens at 10. After 3 pm, I'm sure they'll have some that weren't reserved and a handful not picked up that people can walk in and buy.

But with a shipping delay already occuring during preorder, it's tough to say whether store inventory from April 5th on will be prevelant, or unavailable for days.
post #32 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswine View Post

[*]How many iPads will be available in-store on 4/3, or whether each store will have supply for sale over and above reservations.[*]How many iPads have already been sold, and whether this is a delay at all (Rumors already existed regarding the number of iPads available at launch, and how many has Apple said they've sold? What? They haven't said anything?).[*]Whether this is an ESTIMATED or FIRM ship date (most every ship date I've seen on the store for any other product is cited as an estimate).[*]Whether the sky is falling.[/LIST]

1) 4 per strore, for display/in-store customer use (other than ones where the customer ordered a store pick-up).
2) My guess: 300,000 - 400,000.
3) They haven't/No clue.
4) Yes.

Btw, are you Mr. Swine, or Mrs. Wine?
post #33 of 126
Apple knows what they are doing- let the people wait and they will double up the sales.
post #34 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I disagree. It would be SD or USB slots that would ruin the elegant design of the device. The versatile 30 pin port makes it simpler. If u really need to connect a camera to get raw photos on the device immediately, you have to use something to connect them, and a cable is no more convenient than a cable+adapter, for the one - two minutes you need it connected.

For 1 - 2 minutes of use, I'd rather have the adapter, than holes all over the iPad.

It's one extra slot. An SD card slot aren't that big, they're probably even smaller than the dock connector. I even have a handheld PDA with two adjacent SD slots, and I don't think it ever caused a problem, visually or reliability wise. The issue I have with an adapter is that it's another part to lose, and another part to risk becoming a lever on a heavily used socket when it's in use, I'm very averse to using external attachments on portable devices.

Maybe it's not that big of a deal either way, I don't know. I wonder how well or if solipsism's multi-IO card reader idea would work. Now, if there was a dock-to-USB-mini-B cable and iPad can read from any slot on a standard multi-card reader, that would be pretty nifty.
post #35 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswine View Post

First, in the article:
Nine days is indeed "roughly" two weeks. VERY "roughly." So "roughly," in fact, that it seems a bit provocative to pad a difference that most 7-year-olds can calculate with an additional 50%+. LIke, say, maybe, a 9-day backlog isn't long enough to get readers riled up?.

Actually....

The first "batch" of iPads will be *received* by 4/3 - the second batch is stated to *ship* by 4/12. Estimate 3-5 days for ground shipping and you get the "roughly" two weeks. So the OP is technically correct.
post #36 of 126
Quote:
Btw, are you Mr. Swine, or Mrs. Wine?

No comment. I like to keep an air of mystery.
post #37 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Haven't you heard, the Slate has already been killed by the Joojoo.

We'll all just have to wait and see won't we. The evolution of the "tablet" market will be fast and furious. The shakeout will be very interesting to see. All I know is I'm glad to see Apple in the forefront and leading the charge. As many pundits have said, tablets have been around for quite some time but have never caught on with the mass market. We've already heard from the tech wannabes that this or that brand has had a tablet out for years before the iPad. We heard the same about the iPhone. Somehow, someway, Apple has the magic ability to jump start barely existing markets. Nobody cared much about smart phones or tablets before Steve got in front of the circus tent with a straw hat and cane and held up them up for all to see. That's always been his genius, to fill us with childlike wonder. I, for one, LIKE to bask in the RDF because it's often an accurate prediction of what the future will be like.
post #38 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

Apple knows what they are doing- let the people wait and they will double up the sales.

I'm under the impression that using an alias whilst BANNED results in a permanent ban.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's one extra slot. An SD card slot aren't that big, they're probably even smaller than the dock connector. I even have a handheld PDA with two adjacent SD slots, and I don't think it ever caused a problem, visually or reliability wise. The issue I have with an adapter is that it's another part to lose, and another part to risk becoming a lever on a heavily used socket when it's in use, I'm very averse to using external attachments on portable devices.

I don't think the argument is against what you mention, but how useful an SD card slot would be for iPad users. I have never taken the 4GB Sd card out of my camera to sync it with my Mac. The only reason I even have a 16GB SD card for my Mac is for the SL Restore Disc so I can forego the DVD altogether, other than that it has never been used.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #39 of 126
No rush. It's best to wait for a product review with any new product especially one as controversial as the iPad.
post #40 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

One less troll BANNED hint TS

http://forums.appleinsider.com/membe...&ltr=T&page=12

Maybe we can now all get back to commenting about the subject at hand instead of reacting to trolling. I know I'm as guilty as any here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple says new iPad orders won't ship till April 12th