or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's iPad iBookstore offers low-cost e-book self publishing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPad iBookstore offers low-cost e-book self publishing

post #1 of 77
Thread Starter 
Self-publishing authors will be able to offer their titles on Apple's iBookstore for the iPad at almost no cost, potentially breaking down the barriers for independent writers who want to sell their work across the globe.

According to DigitalBeat, the self-publishing service Smashwords has signed a distribution deal with Apple to put books on the iBookstore, which will be a part of the iBooks application, available as a free download on the iPad through the App Store. Mark Coker, chief executive of Smashwords, announced the agreement in an e-mail to authors who use the service.

The e-mail from Coker also revealed Apple's pricing rules for the iBookstore. Each title's price must end in 99 cents (i.e. $12.99), and books can be priced as low as 99 cents. The price of the book must also be less than its print counterpart.

Author Dean Takahashi said users can submit their work to Smashwords through a simple process that involves uploading a Microsoft Word file, setting the price and deciding where the book is to be published.

The company is also reportedly adding support for International Standard Book Numbers, something that is required by Apple for all titles on the iBookstore. In order to see inclusion on the iBookstore at launch, Smashwords authors must submit by March 31 their work to the company's "Premium Feed," which distributes to other major online retailers like Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Sony and Kobo.

Through the service, authors receive 85 percent of net sale proceeds from titles, or 70.5 percent of affiliate sales. The report said the cost to distribute a book on the iPad is free.

Last week, it was revealed that Apple has preloaded the iBookstore with 30,000 free public domain books from Project Gutenberg. The Gutenberg library of free digital books is supported by volunteer efforts, and maintains a huge collection of literature in the public domain.

Apple's iBooks application is compatible with the ePub format. Apple will also sell content from some of the largest publishers in the world, including HarperCollins, Hachette, Penguin, Macmillan, and Simon & Shuster.



The iBookstore represents Apple's entrance into the e-book market. Since the iPad was announced, publishers have used their price negotiations with Apple to leverage Amazon into accepting higher prices for hardcover bestsellers on the Kindle e-reader. While Kindle bestsellers previously have sold for $9.99, Apple's deal reportedly sets them slightly higher, between $12.99 and $14.99.

Though Amazon initially resisted, the book seller was forced to reluctantly agree to the higher prices, which are expected to debut when the iPad launches this Saturday.
post #2 of 77
I'd love to keep PDFs organized in iTunes!

Giovanni B. Saccone
Creativity is just connecting things (Steve Jobs)
> > > My wEb SiTe < < <

Reply

Giovanni B. Saccone
Creativity is just connecting things (Steve Jobs)
> > > My wEb SiTe < < <

Reply
post #3 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

pple's iBooks application is compatible with the ePub format. Apple will also sell content from some of the largest publishers in the world, including HarperCollins, Hachette, Penguin, Macmillan, and Simon & Shuster.

HarperCollins is back in the fold after their idiotic launch faux pas

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #4 of 77
"Author Dean Takahashi said users can submit their work to Smashwords through a simple process that involves uploading a Microsoft Word file, setting the price and deciding where the book is to be published."

Oh please! Not a Microsoft Word File LOL.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #5 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

HarperCollins is back in the fold after their idiotic launch faux pas

Yep, with sore knuckles I imagine lol.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #6 of 77
This should greatly increase employment opportunities for freelance editors.
post #7 of 77
And still Apple Insider fails to mentioned iBooks is available only in the U.S.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #8 of 77
By offering a lot of lower priced or free content for the iPad, it helps customers justify overcoming it's huge cost

(computer + iPad + accessories + case + Apple Care + tax)

I can already see the huge amount of disappointed customers who are interested in getting a iPad after seeing all it's features, going to the store only to find out a computer is required to use the device.

Looks like Apple is trying to drive down prices from for-profit publishers in the process as well.

Clever Apple "Charge what you want, but you'll have to compete with free and cheap"

Good for them! Low content prices drive hardware sales, just look what it did to the iPod.
post #9 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

And still Apple Insider fails to mentioned iBooks is available only in the U.S.

You need to petition your government -- more generally the EU bureaucrats -- to fix your copyright laws before companies like Apple can do anything.
post #10 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

This should greatly increase employment opportunities for freelance editors.

One would hope. Many aspiring authors post work to story sites, and skip the use of available free editors and prof readers. Do you really think they would have the good sense to pay for a pro?
post #11 of 77
AI Quote "Self-publishing authors will be able to offer their titles on Apple's iBookstore for the iPad at almost no cost, potentially breaking down the barriers for independent writers who want to sell their work across the globe."

Some members in previous forums have asked if this was going to be an option--well it's here.
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
post #12 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

And still Apple Insider fails to mentioned iBooks is available only in the U.S.

right now. Apple likely has the intention and is working on deals to expand the store. It's just not as simple as Apple saying yes. There are various laws etc. Heck that's likely the reason why they can't launch worldwide same day.

Also, the title of the article is a tad erroneous. It implies that I can write a book and submit it directly to itunes as I can my music. But that's not the case at this point. The article is about a 3rd party service that is of course going to take a cut of the cut they get from Apple. So not really free just no "X sign up fee" on top of the cut.

now when Apple posts an SDK and I can directly upload a book then lets talk Apple Self Publishing

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #13 of 77
Does anyone have any info on the 'around the globe' status. Is iBookstore app available outside US or not?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #14 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

AI Quote "Self-publishing authors will be able to offer their titles on Apple's iBookstore for the iPad at almost no cost, potentially breaking down the barriers for independent writers who want to sell their work across the globe."

Some members in previous forums have asked if this was going to be an option--well it's here.

I was one of those!

I guess I better get cracking on my book, eh?
post #15 of 77
Sounds great -- until you read the fine print at Smashwords:

Quote:
Publishing on Smashwords is as easy as 1-2-3:
Step 1: Carefully format your manuscript as a Microsoft Word .doc file per the guidelines in the Smashwords Style Guide and, if you desire mainstream distribution via Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Sony and other retailers, study the guidelines for inclusion in the Smashwords Premium Catalog
Step 2: Click Publish on the home page and follow the simple steps to publish your book instantly
Step 3: Read the free Smashwords Book Marketing Guide for valuable book marketing tips!

Carefully formatted Microsoft Word file? Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

What if you want to make your book actually look good, with photos and illustrations?
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #16 of 77
Why use this intermediary, Smashwords? Can't an individual or small business owner apply for an ISBN? why give up yet another percentage of sales?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #17 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Why use this intermediary, Smashwords? Can't an individual or small business owner apply for an ISBN? why give up yet another percentage of sales?

It's not about the ISBN, it's about access to the iBookstore.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #18 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

right now. Apple likely has the intention and is working on deals to expand the store. It's just not as simple as Apple saying yes.


Guys, I know all of this. AI should mentioned it's U.S. only when posting iBooks stories. It's an important point they keep failing to recognize it print.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #19 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Why use this intermediary, Smashwords? Can't an individual or small business owner apply for an ISBN? why give up yet another percentage of sales?

Wouldn't that get messy very quickly?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #20 of 77
So what about self publishing something a little more dynamic than a word doc and some images? I am hoping for some decent tools from Apple that allows for included video and other dynamic stuff. I would love to self publish some technical manuals.
Like HTML5 editing, I think we will eventually see some good Mac based tools, either from Apple directly or a developer like Flying Meat or Omni Group. I just hope we are talking a few months, not years.

Gordon
post #21 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlee View Post

One would hope. Many aspiring authors post work to story sites, and skip the use of available free editors and prof readers. Do you really think they would have the good sense to pay for a pro?

You did this on purpose, right? I'm not bragging, but I do happen to be a prof who proofreads.
post #22 of 77
This will be great news for Stephen King.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
post #23 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Guys, I know all of this. AI should mentioned it's U.S. only when posting iBooks stories. It's an important point they keep failing to recognize it print.

From Apple's site:
http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/ibooks.html


Download the iBooks app free from the App Store.*

*iBooks is available only in the U.S.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #24 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

From Apple's site:
http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/ibooks.html


Download the iBooks app free from the App Store.*

*iBooks is available only in the U.S.


What's your point. I'm talking Apple Insider continually refusing to acknowledge this point.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #25 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What's your point. I'm talking Apple Insider continually refusing to acknowledge this point.

Sorry reading comprehension problem on my part. I was curious whether or not non US users would be able to even read their own ePub content in the iBooks app, but if you can't download it, I guess the answer is no.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #26 of 77
duplicate
post #27 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonPrice67 View Post

So what about self publishing something a little more dynamic than a word doc and some images? I am hoping for some decent tools from Apple that allows for included video and other dynamic stuff. I would love to self publish some technical manuals.
Like HTML5 editing, I think we will eventually see some good Mac based tools, either from Apple directly or a developer like Flying Meat or Omni Group. I just hope we are talking a few months, not years.

Gordon

Exactly. Where are the tools? The stage is set for some company to make a ton selling a powerful smart tool for writers and publishers.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #28 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

And still Apple Insider fails to mention iBooks is available only in the U.S.

If the issue of availability in other parts of the world is not a permanent situation, then Apple could just announce when it becomes available in specific places outside of the US. It is not good PR to focus on the restrictions. Also, it does not make much sense, for example, to state the obvious that some products may not become generally available in places, like Micronesia.

If Apple Insider fails to cite Apple's announcements on the availability of IBooks, the diligent Apple product consumer should be able to find this out eventually in the Apple site.

If ever there is something that Apple Insider should try to improve in its editorial policy, it is its tendency to treat rumors or conjectures (e.g., analyst's opinions), as if they are facts. This lack of distinction is then magnified by the readers/posters here who seem not be be able to discern the difference between what is factual from rumor/fiction,

CGC
post #29 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

And still Apple Insider fails to mentioned iBooks is available only in the U.S.

Why should they? I don't think that it is necessary that anybody else should have to keep telling us. I am sure as the iBooks become available in other countries, AI will scream it out.

I am sure that if AI was to point it out in every article, heck any more times than they have, there would be a lot of complaining, and not just from one person.

Note to anyone else: If you go to US site, " http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/", you will see the iBook Store app listed. When you click on the iBooks App* to feature the iBooks page, you will notice the it states, the "iBooks is available only in the U.S."

However it does not show on any other store, e.g., the Canadian site†, there is no iBooks App.

*http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/ibooks.html
†ttp://www.apple.com//ca/ipad/features/
post #30 of 77
Interesting news.

I owned a small role-playing game publishing company a few years ago and we published a handful of hard copy titles with some success. It would be nice if I could sell eBook versions of my games without again having to go through major indie distributors who'll want their cut. However, a Word document just won't cut it. Let me know when I can send full PDFs.

Also, someone mentioned getting your own ISBNs. Just go to bowker.com and fork over some cash and you'll get a package with your ISBNs in the mail in a few days. When I was buying ISBNs about 10 years ago, they were 10 for $200 and you couldn't buy individual ISBNs. Rates have increased nowadays, but I think you can now buy ISBNs individually.
post #31 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamrin View Post

e 10 for $200 and you couldn't buy individual ISBNs. Rates have increased nowadays, but I think you can now buy ISBNs individually.

Single ISBN $125

Single numbers are handled by

https://www.myidentifiers.com/

Numbers in bulk from

http://www.isbn.org/

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #32 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post


What if you want to make your book actually look good, with photos and illustrations?

Then your best bet is to use a PC to format the Word document. Or even better, use a desktop publishing program, and output it into a Word doc.

Word handles photos very well. You can embed them directly or have them reside elsewhere and get inserted dynamically. You can resize them and place them precisely onto the page.

Word is used routinely for well-formatted print publications of various types.
post #33 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Single ISBN $125

Single numbers are handled by

https://www.myidentifiers.com/

Numbers in bulk from

http://www.isbn.org/


Wow, those prices are ridiculous. I'm glad I've still got several ISBNs remaining from the last batch I purchased at a much lower price. $150 for a single ISBN is nuts. The first link you posted takes you right to Bowker, btw. Hmm. I wonder why prices have increased so much...

AppleRulz, unfortunately, there's no way a Word document can handle the amount of detail that's required for the complex layouts that you'd find in a highly illustrated book or magazine. Word is useless for all but the shortest, most rudimentary layouts. Anyone who needs to do a complex, professional layout with specialized tables, images, and text fields won't get anywhere with Word. If I had to spend a few hundred dollars on an app to create a professional layout and could choose between Word and, say, InDesign, there's no contest at all.
post #34 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRulez View Post

Word is used routinely for well-formatted print publications of various types.

I'd have to take serious issue with that.

MS Word's typographical capabilities are quite poor compared to professional page layout programs such as Adobe InDesign or Quark Xpress. Even a casual observer can tell the difference. As a quick test, simply look at a page of fully justified text from Word and InD. There's really no comparison.

Let's hope that Smashwords just uses the Word doc as a convenient input format and cleans it up afterwards.
post #35 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

By offering a lot of lower priced or free content for the iPad, it helps customers justify overcoming it's huge cost

(computer + iPad + accessories + case + Apple Care + tax)

I can already see the huge amount of disappointed customers who are interested in getting a iPad after seeing all it's features, going to the store only to find out a computer is required to use the device.

Looks like Apple is trying to drive down prices from for-profit publishers in the process as well.

Clever Apple "Charge what you want, but you'll have to compete with free and cheap"

Good for them! Low content prices drive hardware sales, just look what it did to the iPod.

When I watch "opinions TV shows" I wonder sometimes about people who distort facts view themselves when near the end of life they "look back" at what they have done to make a difference in this world. I really pity these people because at the end of the day, they really have not contributed to the betterment of mankind. In fact, they are the part of why wwe live in a very troubled world.

Reading your post above, I am not sure whether you are just a lazy person (not reading all the relevant information already out there), just plain biased or worse, just spewing what you have read without even taking the time to form your own opinion as to what is true or false

If you ever watched the entire presentation of the iPad by Steve Jobs, if you were able to comprehend what was stated (and the impressions of those who tried the demo iPads), you would have come up with the following:

Tbe iPad is not intended to be a replacement of either the iPhone or the computer. It is intended to be a bridge device for specific purposes or situations, e.g., on travel, out of the office. etc.

The iPad is intended as a more convenient device to carry around than your computer. Convenience cannot be ignored. I bought a $100 backpack for example, to carry my camera, lenses, computer, disc, etc. because my other "travel backpack" was just too heavy when I carry all the above -- it was killing me. Imagine the total medical costs, if I kept on punishing my spinal column with such a heavy load. If I had an iPad (with enough disk storage), I need not have to bring my notebook computer and storage disk.

While the iPad cannot be a full replacement for the iPhone or the computer, it can however perform certain functionalities without any dependence on the aforementioned devices. For example surf the internet or do email, and many other functions that will come forth from the creations of others developing applications for the iPad. [Many people use computers mainly for the internet and email, so in a sense for many people, it can replace the usual computer.]

If you read a recent blog by Pogue of NY Times, for example, devices like the iPod Touch, (and by inference also the iPad) can even free you partly from the shackles of costly day and interneational calls imposed by telephone companies.

I could go on about the possibilities that the iPad can do, in my own chosen field or interests, that would not be replicated most optimally by a computer or other mobile devices, like the iPhone or my notebook computer. [I already outlined them in separate posts.]

If you do not have the capacity to fathom the benefits of the above and more, or do not like the iPad, that is OK. Do not buy it. But, do not insult our capability to make up our own minds about what the device can and cannot do, or how it can improve/enhance activities of our lives, work, or leisure.

It is up to us to decide whether the high cost that you seem to imply is worth it. I assume that many who decide to buy have considered the cost. As to your presumed costs, many of them are bogus. So far, I never bought Apple care for the computers I used. I am not into accessories. As to the so-called "Apple tax", only the unthinking people would fall for that red herring.

I have a need for a notebook computer, soon desktop computers and multiole servers and soon more notebooks and desktop computers that will then be complemented with iPads and mobile phones to integrated all this, and create a more digital personal and work environment.

So, where is the extra cost that you claim exist in such a an envisioned ecosystem, if iPads (10-20) will be added?


If there are other people who can be swayed by your rather unoriginal post (it has been repeated here and many other blogs, and forums, so many times), then I pity those who are as gullible, as you have become.


CGC
post #36 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamrin View Post

AppleRulz, unfortunately, there's no way a Word document can handle the amount of detail that's required for the complex layouts that you'd find in a highly illustrated book or magazine. Word is useless for all but the shortest, most rudimentary layouts. Anyone who needs to do a complex, professional layout with specialized tables, images, and text fields won't get anywhere with Word. If I had to spend a few hundred dollars on an app to create a professional layout and could choose between Word and, say, InDesign, there's no contest at all.

I think they just chose the lowest common denominator in suggesting Word. The ePub format is rather rudimentary as well. Even in inDesign it is difficult to get a decent looking layout from an ePub export. The key is CSS specifically for ePub. Very few authors are going to have that kind of skill set. It will be interesting to see how much input about the layout will be allowed from the authors once the Smashwords publishing system is implemented. There is a catch 22 in there somewhere - no-cost /low-cost meets professional layout and design. You can't have both.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #37 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRulez View Post

Then your best bet is to use a PC to format the Word document. Or even better, use a desktop publishing program, and output it into a Word doc.

Word handles photos very well. You can embed them directly or have them reside elsewhere and get inserted dynamically. You can resize them and place them precisely onto the page.

Word is used routinely for well-formatted print publications of various types.

Actually, Word whether by MS or others, is not the best way to prepare anything for the internet. There are default tags, formats and stylings use by word processing applications that can slow presentation in the internet or mess up the integration in a larger internet site.

It pays to understand basic html for more precise presentation for anything intended for the internet. Or, use simple Editors, if you are a beginner.

CGC
post #38 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Why should they?

Because they are reporting on the app, and this is the most important factor of the app. A lot of the users around here are't living in the U.S. you know.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #39 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

If the issue of availability in other parts of the world is not a permanent situation, then Apple could just announce when it becomes available in specific places outside of the US. It is not good PR to focus on the restrictions.

Apple Insider is not Apple's PR room. They should "report" it.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #40 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sorry reading comprehension problem on my part. I was curious whether or not non US users would be able to even read their own ePub content in the iBooks app, but if you can't download it, I guess the answer is no.

Exactly my point. This is huge! Now it may change in the future, but we all live in the present, not the future. This is on major importance that people outside the U.S. (the majority of the world) know this. And I don't want to hear arguments about: "you can use the Kindle app". We're not talking about the Kindle app, we're talking about iBooks. A story about "iBooks" needs to mention the most important fact about the app - If you live outside the U.S. (currently) iBooks is simply out of the question for you. An important factor to keep in mind when purchasing an iPad. It's very important to me, and I think we more people start finding this out there's going to be some annoyed people.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's iPad iBookstore offers low-cost e-book self publishing